Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I do feel like theres a pretty even divide. But very little in the middle. Its either love or hate. 
    Yeah, that is true for sure.... And I must say, the hate for it is kind of hilarious. I don't know if I've ever seen people being so explicitly descriptive about their hate for album before. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    I do feel like theres a pretty even divide. But very little in the middle. Its either love or hate. 
    Yeah, that is true for sure.... And I must say, the hate for it is kind of hilarious. I don't know if I've ever seen people being so explicitly descriptive about their hate for album before. :lol:
    Yesterday I gave it a second listen and it s still god awful. I just hate everything about it. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    My vault arrived today and i'm afraid to even open it.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    CJ260717 said:

Open that bastard and turn it up to 11.

say it loud, i'm with Jack and i'm proud!!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

CJ260717 said:
    Even if you think the album is a fly-covered pile of poo, hahaha, the 45 adapter/coin thingy it comes with is kinda cool I guess? But someone please remind me what that coin thing is about? Does it do something for me? I have some vague memory of that...
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    what's the difference between the vault and regular release?
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Vault is dark blue marble that only shows when you hold it up to the light, plus it comes with a 7" single in it, and some art prints and prints with the lyrics, plus a TMR 45 adapter... I think that's it? Even if you love the album, this particular Vault is a bit of a rip off... So was the Lazaretto one, actually. I think I've learned my lesson finally: Don't get the Vault when it's a pre-order of a Jack White album. There isn't enough to separate it from the regular version to justify the huge extra cost. Well... not unless the value of it skyrockets I guess, lol. But I don't see that happening with a release like this.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Vault is dark blue marble that only shows when you hold it up to the light, plus it comes with a 7" single in it, and some art prints and prints with the lyrics, plus a TMR 45 adapter... I think that's it? Even if you love the album, this particular Vault is a bit of a rip off... So was the Lazaretto one, actually. I think I've learned my lesson finally: Don't get the Vault when it's a pre-order of a Jack White album. There isn't enough to separate it from the regular version to justify the huge extra cost. Well... not unless the value of it skyrockets I guess, lol. But I don't see that happening with a release like this.
    Yeah that really doesn't warrant the price difference.  what is on the 7"?  jw solo or something else?
    edited March 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah that really doesn't warrant the price difference.  what is on the 7"?  jw solo or something else?
    Oh, and the cover art is exclusive to this version too... and I'll admit, the cover art on this one is cool. Jack's stylized face done in some kind of holographic foil technique that looks pretty nifty. Still not worth the huge difference in price, but still cool. The 7" is just demos from this album, which to me is basically just trash. I hate album demos in almost all cases, no matter who the band is. They are always worse than what's on the album, so why even bother?? Though I haven't listened to this 7" yet... Maybe it's good, I dunno.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    PJ_Soul said:
    CJ260717 said:
    Even if you think the album is a fly-covered pile of poo, hahaha, the 45 adapter/coin thingy it comes with is kinda cool I guess? But someone please remind me what that coin thing is about? Does it do something for me? I have some vague memory of that...
    If I recall correctly, the coin challenge is that when you're hanging out with your vault member friends everyone has to pull the coin out of their pocket. If anyone doesn't have theirs on them, they buy the next round of drinks. Or something along those lines. Doesn't do much for me as all of my vault member acquaintances are online friends.
    I am wired and fading...
    RoeDawg13 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    CJ260717 said:
    If I recall correctly, the coin challenge is that when you're hanging out with your vault member friends everyone has to pull the coin out of their pocket. If anyone doesn't have theirs on them, they buy the next round of drinks. Or something along those lines. Doesn't do much for me as all of my vault member acquaintances are online friends.
    Haha, I've definitely never heard that one! Too bad for me, I don't know any other TMR members IRL. Any that I know I only know here.
    But I think there is an actual, tangible benefit connected to these coins as well..... Hey, how about I use the internet here?...... *checking*....... Oh yeah. 10% off anything in the TMR store. Meh.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Still no Vault package or free CDs.  :|

Still loving it though.
    #FHP
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    mcgruff10 said:
    I found the best way to listen to the new album is to put it back the record back in its sleeve and play any other album in your collection. 
    Agreed! I tried and then said nah Ill pick something good.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• shorty4568shorty4568 Seattle, WA Posts: 173
    edited March 2018
    RobbyD462 said:
    Without a doubt the worst album I have ever heard.
    Collosal waste of money and now a sudden loss of musical respect for JW.
    Never been so disappointed in an album.:(

I dig the new album and if you got the vault package I would be happy to take it off your hands for a good price.
    Post edited by shorty4568 on
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Finally  got my vault today. The leak I've been listening to is seriously lacking.

One listen and all I can say is this is incredibly good.
    #FHP
  • I don't understand the fuss. The blend of so many genres, the creativity, the little bits of beauty from the female background vocalists, and just the overall mysticism of Jack... a total gem.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my sources are probably very close to the same as yours, "lol". it's defintely not just here. and besides the reviews that jack's posted themselves, I haven't seen very many say it's a good album. 
    I guess they aren't, since I'm seeing a different story than you are. Yeah, some really don't like it, clearly, but I don't think it's as lopsided as you're saying, from everything I've read.
    You're getting a bit snippy about this and I don't understand why.
    you're projecting again 
    Oh, okay. Yeah, you're not being snippy at all.
    I have zero idea why you think that. but ok. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my sources are probably very close to the same as yours, "lol". it's defintely not just here. and besides the reviews that jack's posted themselves, I haven't seen very many say it's a good album. 
    I guess they aren't, since I'm seeing a different story than you are. Yeah, some really don't like it, clearly, but I don't think it's as lopsided as you're saying, from everything I've read.
    you're projecting again 
    Why can't Canadians get along?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    you're projecting again 
    You don't? I don't believe that. I thought it specifically because of the quotes around the lol the way you did .... come on, you know you were being a bit snotty with that. There is no other context for it. And then accusing me of projecting. Again. Dude, I don't do that at all, ever. So that was a little personal insult thrown in there, and a bit beyond being snippy.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    First listen.......really like it.  I love the electronica music, drum machine beats, and jazz like tunes. It's different, but good.  I'm anxious to see the new stuff live.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    not a fan at all with the first few listens...but I somehow feel like it may be slowly growing on me.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I still haven’t listened to this horrible bloated gasbag of warmed excrement.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I still haven’t listened to this horrible bloated gasbag of warmed excrement.
    You haven’t earned the right to trash it, then. Rise to the challenge.
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    My Vault just showed up and I dropped the needle. Man, one heck of a pressing. Sounds fantastic! Puts the leaked vinyl rip to shame. Do all the extras make the price worthwhile? Eh, maybe, they're kinda cool. Was it worth it to get first crack at tix for his upcoming tour? Absolutely.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    mfc2006 said:
    not a fan at all with the first few listens...but I somehow feel like it may be slowly growing on me.
    literally this.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Btw, I also like how the Vault version of the record totally looks like black vinyl luntil you hold it up to the light, and it's blue marble. I've never seen that before. I mean, that's not worth the difference in price from the regular version, but still, kinda cool.
    An original Synchronicity looks black but is purple in the light.  It's a tremendous pressing to boot. That's the only other one I've seen like that. 

Post edited by MedozK on
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,579
    This album is gonna be huge. Just give it some spins,..
    At last Jack stopped playing that country bullshit, except 2 last tracks, which suck a lot.
    Ed should quit playing Just Breathe, The End, Future Days stuff as well.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Finally gave it a listen via YouTube- there seems to be a lot of just instrumental tracks? Maybe it’s just the shitty YouTube thing for now though.  All in all I am pretty indifferent, glad I didn’t buy it though, don’t think it would be played too often.  It’s not a steaming pile of shit, but it’s nothing great either.  As I usually do, I imagine if it was a no name artist and then I know I wouldn’t ever listen to it again.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I'm coming around a LITTLE bit more to this album. If anyone who hates it (seems to be a fair amount of folks) has it on vinyl and is willing to sell cheap, I'll take it. I'm looking at you @mcgruff10. I don't like it enough to drop 20some bucks on it, but I'd go for it cheaper
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    RW8297 said:
    This album is gonna be huge. Just give it some spins,..
    At last Jack stopped playing that country bullshit, except 2 last tracks, which suck a lot.
    Ed should quit playing Just Breathe, The End, Future Days stuff as well.
    Ah, but as someone else pointed out, that last track is actually a song written by Al Capone while he was in prison... Don't know about you, but once I learned that, the song took on a whole new, and much more enjoyable meaning for me - way more interesting and charming and odd and sweet suddenly. I now think it was an excellent choice on JW's part.