The National

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    best American band not named Pearl Jam...
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I am hoping The National headline FYF in L.A. this summer
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Shit, I'll say it. 

Best American band right now. 

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Shit, I'll say it. 

Best American band right now. 

Agreed.  
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Guilty Party and Carin at the Liquor Store are phenomenal.
    I think SWB may be their third best record after Alligator and Boxer. 
    Super Jealous of the people who got to see NTL->LCD->PJ. Or if the stages weren't configured in such a way at least the NTL opening for PJ.

• Give an album to start with on them.  Everything I've heard I've mostly liked, but I haven't had a chance to dig into a full album yet.  They've been on my list of bands to put some time into.  
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
    Alligator
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    Fwiw Alligator is where I started all the way back when and I think it's a great entry point. Give it 3 or 4 runs through and it will worm itself so far into your brain. Personally then I'd go to sad songs and cherry tree and then do the rest of the catalogue in order but give each album time before you move on to the next one. They really reward repeat listens and it's worth doing them in order to hear the progression of the band. I even think that the st debut is good but get why some don't care for it.
  • Thanks. I appreciate it.  Will start with Alligator.
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    You miss Cherry Tree by starting with Alligator. That would be unfortunate.  Don't forget to eventually wind back around to the first two.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    They're playing Lollapalooza this year.  Hoping they end up playing on a day with a couple other bands I'd like to see...might be worth a single day ticket.  
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck lollapalooza. Hopefully they do a aftershow. I'd rather see a full set. 

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck lollapalooza. Hopefully they do a aftershow. I'd rather see a full set. 

Haha I hear ya with that.  It would have to take an almost perfect lineup on a single day to get me to try and go....or I would have to spring for VIP.  Lolla aftershows are cool, but tix are always so hard to get for anyone decent.  I look forward to when Lolla isn't here anymore...feels like Chicago misses out on so many shows because the bands playing can't play before/after the fest for a long period of time.  
    edited March 2018
    They did an aftershow at HOB when they were here in 2010. It was killer. 
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    edited March 2018
    Give an album to start with on them.  Everything I've heard I've mostly liked, but I haven't had a chance to dig into a full album yet.  They've been on my list of bands to put some time into.  
    Their most accessible album and the one they got most following after is Boxer. Start with that. I will say it, it is a masterpiece almost as good as my favourite Pearl jam albums. I don't agree starting with Alligator. It is great, but why not start with most accessible and work your way back later. I did and have no regrets.
    Like a few others said and I have mentioned, the National take some time to "hit" you, longer then any band I have loved. When they do it is amazing! Enjoy the ride
    Post edited by chitty on
    Alligator is just as accessible as Boxer IMO. If anything Boxer is a bit more watered down than Alligator.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I say start at Cherry Tree and go from there. That’s basically where their sound (and their consistency)starts. You can always circle back to the uneven first 2 records later. i wouldn’t start there because it’s not indicative of their sound. On top of that, how can start8ng with crapreally get you excited for the better stuff to come. 

Agree.  First two records aren't worth the bad first impression.
    I agree with the last two comments.  Start at Cherry Tree, and then work through the five following AMAZING albums in order.  Those five albums are so consistently great.  You can always return to the first two albums later on, as there are still some gems on those.

What I would say though, is that none of the albums will probably grab you straight away.  But trust me... persevere with them, and it grows on you like crazy, and is so rewarding when they finally grab you.  

I didn't get them for several listens, and then all of a sudden something clicked, and they have become pretty much my fave band outside of PJ now.
    I started with Cherry Tree like you guys suggested, and I've run through to Sleep Well Beast twice so far. I kinda like what I've heard so far, although I'll need a few more listens before anything really jumps out at me I think.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 418
    goldrush said:
    I say start at Cherry Tree and go from there. That’s basically where their sound (and their consistency)starts. You can always circle back to the uneven first 2 records later. i wouldn’t start there because it’s not indicative of their sound. On top of that, how can start8ng with crapreally get you excited for the better stuff to come. 

Agree.  First two records aren't worth the bad first impression.
    I agree with the last two comments.  Start at Cherry Tree, and then work through the five following AMAZING albums in order.  Those five albums are so consistently great.  You can always return to the first two albums later on, as there are still some gems on those.

What I would say though, is that none of the albums will probably grab you straight away.  But trust me... persevere with them, and it grows on you like crazy, and is so rewarding when they finally grab you.  

I didn't get them for several listens, and then all of a sudden something clicked, and they have become pretty much my fave band outside of PJ now.
    I started with Cherry Tree like you guys suggested, and I've run through to Sleep Well Beast twice so far. I kinda like what I've heard so far, although I'll need a few more listens before anything really jumps out at me I think.
    The other thing I'd suggest is to really pay attention to the lyrics.  Things started really clicking for me when I started reading the lyrics.... Some of Matt's lyrics are pure genius.... there are so many great one liners that I could really relate to.
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
    In a month... :rock_on:
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    chitty said:
    Many months into listening to Sleep Well Beast, it is great. The National I have always found takes a long time for most their songs to "hit" or "get," but when they do, it is amazing. This album I found took even longer, but it stacks up with the last four. Enjoy discovering it and definitely do listen alot before you see them on this tour.

On another note, I really want to go to homecoming, but it is a long way for me and I'd probably have to go by myself. To hear Boxer in full it is super tempting..........
    I won't be going to them in Dublin unless I can score free tickets or something. I've put way too much of my funds into going to Mad Cool already.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    edited April 2018
    https://youtu.be/A-Tod1_tZdU
    Remember when you lost your shit and drove your car into the garden, 
    You got out and said I'm sorry to the vines and no one saw it...