The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am a little bit stunned by how badly Ontario is fucking this up, lol. Glad I'm in BC.

PS - I pay $8 - $10 for a gram in Vancouver at a medical dispensary... and that is absolutely fine with me. Back in the 90s grams were normally $15. The price has gone way down. If taxes or capitalism make an AAA gram $10 - $12, I'm totally cool with that. I consider that very affordable.

I never realized how many Canadian pot smokers were whiny fucking princesses until now btw. Jesus, it's becoming legal, it's going to be affordable, we'll see more tax revenue without dinging people, and some folks are just bitching and complaining. It's ridiculous. Talk about punching a gift horse in the mouth.
    Prices are crazy good these days.  In the 90's a gram around here was running at least $20.  Adjusting for inflation, that would be about $30 today.  Way better these days! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ^^^who said I’m taking advantage of it, I never it was official that it was sold at that for compassionate pricing...that’s my guess...but whatever.
    I was commenting, not accusing. Sheesh!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i still pay $15 per from my guy. the price has remained pretty much the same from the 90's until now. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am a little bit stunned by how badly Ontario is fucking this up, lol. Glad I'm in BC.

PS - I pay $8 - $10 for a gram in Vancouver at a medical dispensary... and that is absolutely fine with me. Back in the 90s grams were normally $15. The price has gone way down. If taxes or capitalism make an AAA gram $10 - $12, I'm totally cool with that. I consider that very affordable.

I never realized how many Canadian pot smokers were whiny fucking princesses until now btw. Jesus, it's becoming legal, it's going to be affordable, we'll see more tax revenue without dinging people, and some folks are just bitching and complaining. It's ridiculous. Talk about punching a gift horse in the mouth.
    Its not a surprise, this liberal government could not run a hot dog stand at a profit.  The current premier is 20 points behind Rob Ford in the polls for the upcoming June election...

when ontario first introduced its legislation regarding pot stores...the news interviewed a person coming out of a head shop, she was asked her opinion on Ontario’s legislation, she said “she gets hers at 6/gram and her dealer delivers to her within the hour”, that’s customer service at its finest.

I can get mine for 4/gram from my medical supplier...16% THC.I think the 4/gram is their answer to compassionate pricing.  

Many medicinal suppliers have compassionate pricing, but usually you have to prove you are need...

Yeah, but wtf, $4 and $6 a gram?? That is ridiculously cheap. I consider $10 or $12 grams a small price to pay for legalization (well, plus it's already up to $10 in Vancouver anyhow, at medical dispensaries). Yeah, it was cheap as shit in Ontario apparently... but it was also fucking illegal. I don't understand why people think a legal, still cheap substance is supposed to stay the same price once it's legalized. Considering how high a gram of weed gets you, isn't it worth it to know that the substance is regulated for safety and that you won't ever get in trouble while carrying or using it, and neither will anyone else? And as you say, there will be medicinal suppliers with lower prices. Some extended insurance plans might even supplement it. And, er, yeah, if you're getting medicinal discounts of course you'd have to prove you're in need. It shouldn't be any other way.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Its not a surprise, this liberal government could not run a hot dog stand at a profit.  The current premier is 20 points behind Rob Ford in the polls for the upcoming June election...

when ontario first introduced its legislation regarding pot stores...the news interviewed a person coming out of a head shop, she was asked her opinion on Ontario’s legislation, she said “she gets hers at 6/gram and her dealer delivers to her within the hour”, that’s customer service at its finest.

I can get mine for 4/gram from my medical supplier...16% THC.I think the 4/gram is their answer to compassionate pricing.  

Many medicinal suppliers have compassionate pricing, but usually you have to prove you are need...

Yeah, but wtf, $4 and $6 a gram?? That is ridiculously cheap. I consider $10 or $12 grams a small price to pay for legalization (well, plus it's already up to $10 in Vancouver anyhow, at medical dispensaries). Yeah, it was cheap as shit in Ontario apparently... but it was also fucking illegal. I don't understand why people think a legal, still cheap substance is supposed to stay the same price once it's legalized. Considering how high a gram of weed gets you, isn't it worth it to know that the substance is regulated for safety and that you won't ever get in trouble while carrying or using it, and neither will anyone else? And as you say, there will be medicinal suppliers with lower prices. Some extended insurance plans might even supplement it. And, er, yeah, if you're getting medicinal discounts of course you'd have to prove you're in need. It shouldn't be any other way.
    Marijuana is de-facto legal in Canada as long you have drs ok...I pay anywhere from 4-8/gram  through my medicinal supplier.  So I do not where you think I’m illegally...

and getting a drs ok is pretty simple these days.  I could a less about Ontario poor attempt at legalization.  I would never-ever give up my script...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Marijuana is de-facto legal in Canada as long you have drs ok...I pay anywhere from 4-8/gram  through my medicinal supplier.  So I do not where you think I’m illegally...

and getting a drs ok is pretty simple these days.  I could a less about Ontario poor attempt at legalization.  I would never-ever give up my script...
    De facto? I guess... But in actual fact, it's only legal if you both have dr's okay AND register to get it from only a small number of producers who are actually approved federally for license, and very few actually have been. Every in-person medical dispensary in the country is in fact still illegal - all the federally licensed ones are required to ship their products by mail and to follow some other strict regulations re packaging, labeling, production, etc. Individuals can also register with the government to grow their own if they have medical documentation stating that it is for medical use.
    .... All that changes real soon obviously, but until the summer, what most might consider "legal" medical weed isn't technically legal as far as the federal government is concerned.
    In any case, there should still be medical pricing for those who need it for that purpose. For everyone else whining, they are just recreational users who want to save a few measly bucks even if it means harming a great new industry in Canada, and are apparently making plans to break the laws and keep the black market going, and support organized crime in many cases, just to save $2 or $4 a gram. It's ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Prices are crazy good these days.  In the 90's a gram around here was running at least $20.  Adjusting for inflation, that would be about $30 today.  Way better these days! 
    A few of my friends work on the grow side and they say the markets so flooded that it’s a challenge to profit from it. You really have to know what you’re doing and not screw it up to keep your costs down. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

A few of my friends work on the grow side and they say the markets so flooded that it’s a challenge to profit from it. You really have to know what you’re doing and not screw it up to keep your costs down. 
    That is the case in WA as well. The market is getting flooded even though production is regulated. It is tough on growers who have to go through a lot of regulatory restrictions, testing, packaging, tracking, taxing, etc... I can walk out of my weed store with a quarter ounce for $40 if I am looking for cheap weed. That is hard for producers to sustain. But it has also virtually eliminated the black market here. Sure, people still buy from their buddies who have illegal grows, but nobody is wandering around the streets looking to score weed anymore. Prices were higher with the black market, and you had no idea what you were buying. Indica or Sativa? What strain? Indoor or outdoor grown? THC/CBD levels? When was it harvested? Where is it from? Any molds? Any pesticides? Who knew? Now we can be discerning consumers and buy weed under what we paid in the old days. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That is the case in WA as well. The market is getting flooded even though production is regulated. It is tough on growers who have to go through a lot of regulatory restrictions, testing, packaging, tracking, taxing, etc... I can walk out of my weed store with a quarter ounce for $40 if I am looking for cheap weed. That is hard for producers to sustain. But it has also virtually eliminated the black market here. Sure, people still buy from their buddies who have illegal grows, but nobody is wandering around the streets looking to score weed anymore. Prices were higher with the black market, and you had no idea what you were buying. Indica or Sativa? What strain? Indoor or outdoor grown? THC/CBD levels? When was it harvested? Where is it from? Any molds? Any pesticides? Who knew? Now we can be discerning consumers and buy weed under what we paid in the old days. 
    It's so great that today in states where it is legal, a person can feel much more confident about what they are buying.  Back in the early 70's  and sometimes even into the 80's I would hear about how they were using the toxic paraquat herbicide to eradicate fields and the pot that didn't get killed was often contaminated with the poison.  These are so, so much better days that way!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

De facto? I guess... But in actual fact, it's only legal if you both have dr's okay AND register to get it from only a small number of producers who are actually approved federally for license, and very few actually have been. Every in-person medical dispensary in the country is in fact still illegal - all the federally licensed ones are required to ship their products by mail and to follow some other strict regulations re packaging, labeling, production, etc. Individuals can also register with the government to grow their own if they have medical documentation stating that it is for medical use.
    .... All that changes real soon obviously, but until the summer, what most might consider "legal" medical weed isn't technically legal as far as the federal government is concerned.
    In any case, there should still be medical pricing for those who need it for that purpose. For everyone else whining, they are just recreational users who want to save a few measly bucks even if it means harming a great new industry in Canada, and are apparently making plans to break the laws and keep the black market going, and support organized crime in many cases, just to save $2 or $4 a gram. It's ridiculous. 

Give Peas A Chance…
    i still pay $15 per from my guy. the price has remained pretty much the same from the 90's until now. 
    Your guy is overcharging...get a script...it’s cheaper.
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The black market will flourish still in Canada .... people don’t give shit about stomping out the black market ... I know plenty of people who smoke, lifelong smokers, always bought from trusted dealers, most never cared if it is legal, most I know still don’t.  None have ever been hassled by the cops or charged...most will continue to grow their own or buy off their dealer...
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

The black market will flourish still in Canada .... people don’t give shit about stomping out the black market ... I know plenty of people who smoke, lifelong smokers, always bought from trusted dealers, most never cared if it is legal, most I know still don’t.  None have ever been hassled by the cops or charged...most will continue to grow their own or buy off their dealer...
    Well it won't flourish. It will shrink a LOT. Yes, there are some idiots who don't care about anything but themselves, and will be happy to keep fueling the black market just to save a couple bucks. There will still be some criminals who profit from their cheap asses. But the vast majority of the market will just go to the store and buy it legally. It's just easier, and bears no risk. That means a huge bulk of the black market will die immediately.
    I know a lot of people who don't smoke weed specifically because it's illegal. Legalization will also tap a whole new market that will never ever turn to the black market.
    no, he isn't. that's been the price across the board where I live. that's what pretty much everyone pays. of course, it gets cheaper the more you buy. But I don't buy that much. 

I'm not getting a script. I don't require it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well it won't flourish. It will shrink a LOT. Yes, there are some idiots who don't care about anything but themselves, and will be happy to keep fueling the black market just to save a couple bucks. There will still be some criminals who profit from their cheap asses. But the vast majority of the market will just go to the store and buy it legally. It's just easier, and bears no risk. That means a huge bulk of the black market will die immediately.
    I know a lot of people who don't smoke weed specifically because it's illegal. Legalization will also tap a whole new market that will never ever turn to the black market.
    We’ll see, if you actually think the government legalization plan will work, then good for you.  I happen to know that our federal government couldn’t run a hot dog stand at a profit...
    Give Peas A Chance…

no, he isn't. that's been the price across the board where I live. that's what pretty much everyone pays. of course, it gets cheaper the more you buy. But I don't buy that much. 

Then I guess things really do suck in Manitoba ... lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

We’ll see, if you actually think the government legalization plan will work, then good for you.  I happen to know that our federal government couldn’t run a hot dog stand at a profit...
    But it's the provincial governments that are really running the show here. I don't know about your province, as I'm not clear on where you live, but BC has it well under control. And I think you overestimate the desire of most people to turn to illegal drug dealers as opposed to strolling into a nice legal store and comfortably making a purchase of something that is actually still pretty damn cheap.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But it's the provincial governments that are really running the show here. I don't know about your province, as I'm not clear on where you live, but BC has it well under control. And I think you overestimate the desire of most people to turn to illegal drug dealers as opposed to strolling into a nice legal store and comfortable making a purchase of something that is actually still pretty damn cheap.
    Yes. Here in Victoria, it isn’t legal but might as well be, given the lack of enforcement with the dispensaries. In fact, we have a pretty good system of local bylaws that had been in place over the past year. If the dispensary obeys the bylaws and operates like good neighbours then they get no problems. And few people bother to purchase off the street now, when they know they can get good product in the stores. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But it's the provincial governments that are really running the show here. I don't know about your province, as I'm not clear on where you live, but BC has it well under control. And I think you overestimate the desire of most people to turn to illegal drug dealers as opposed to strolling into a nice legal store and comfortably making a purchase of something that is actually still pretty damn cheap.
    Yeah. I’m guessing even your drug dealers are nice up there, but in the US the shadiness factor of dealing with a drug dealer isn’t worth it for a lot of people. 

nope. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

nope. 
    Wtf, lol. Meltdown, I don't understand why you think continuing to buy illegal weed is somehow a good thing, if that is indeed what you're trying to say. Nor why you think people who feel they have no reason to get a script ought to anyway - doesn't that erode the validity of the medical marijuana industry?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah. I’m guessing even your drug dealers are nice up there, but in the US the shadiness factor of dealing with a drug dealer isn’t worth it for a lot of people. 

over the years I've only dealt with friends or friends of friends who deal. i won't do it any other way. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

over the years I've only dealt with friends or friends of friends who deal. i won't do it any other way. 
    I've dealt with a lot of dealers who I didn't know... Lol, you're kind of right Go Beavers, most of our pot dealers are nice, and often specifically very professional. I've only really come across one exception: The Hell's Angels. They used to have a place in Vancouver upstairs from the Amsterdam Cafe, where you could just walk in and buy from them, but it was REALLY sketchy. I wouldn't even think about supporting those people now in any case, but this was when I was younger, couldn't find any dealers (my awkward "i don't know where to get weed" phase, haha), and felt desperate. I didn't think too much about their role in crime at the time.
    You went up some scary rickety stairs in one of those old city heritage buildings, right on by a look out sentry who seriously gave you the old evil eye, I guess trying to figure out if you looked like a cop or a nark, past several security cameras in the halls, and then you went into this room lined with reptile tanks (kinda weird). And there was a big Hell's Angel sitting there at a table across the room with a scale. You had to go and stand on an "X" marked in tape on the floor, presumably so that you were in the perfect position for their security cameras, getting a good, clear shot of your face, and also because if you moved from the spot they'd all pounce on you or kill you, to protect against a robbery, what with all the drugs and cash that was there. The guy weighing out the weed would also give you the stink eye, weighing you up along with the pot, lol. There were always at least a couple other Angels just standing around at the perimeter of the room, all keeping an eye on you... I seriously felt scared when I went there. The worst time was when the guy weighing had his shirt off because his chest and shoulder was all bandaged up unprofessionally in gauze, and blood was seeping through it, and he was still wearing a holster with a gun in plain view. :tired_face: For a Canadian this is fucking pants-shitting terrifying. :lol: So I asked the guy "Omg, what happened?!?" and he said "Some motherfucker shot me yesterday!!! I'm gonna get that fucker! We've all got our eye out for him and all his friends!" YIKES! I was just like, "oh, well good luck with that, I hope you feel better okaybye!!!" That was the last time I had the guts to buy from that place. :tongue:
    PJ_Soul said:

nope. 
    Wtf, lol. Meltdown, I don't understand why you think continuing to buy illegal weed is somehow a good thing, if that is indeed what you're trying to say. Nor why you think people who feel they have no reason to get a script ought to anyway - doesn't that erode the validity of the medical marijuana industry?
    PJ_Soul said:

nope. 
    I've never said it was a good thing.  I am saying let entrepreneurs invest in pot stores and let the market dictate price...not the government.

And really, taxing medicinal marijuana...

but i do believe her in Ontario the black market will flourish.

and who buys weed off a dealer where they don't share a joint after the purchase.  Thats the surest way to know your product is good.. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I’m not into buying anything that I can grow on my own , I get way more for my $ ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I’m not into buying anything that I can grow on my own , I get way more for my $ ..
    Growing your own is the best and the way to go.  I just hope the our governments price fixing of legal weed doesn’t drive the cost of medicinal ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    What makes people think legalization will harm the black market? Here in Ontario the cigarette black market is flourishing, reason cigarettes are over priced and over taxed.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

nope. 
    PJ_Soul said:

nope. 
    I've never said it was a good thing.  I am saying let entrepreneurs invest in pot stores and let the market dictate price...not the government.

and who buys weed off a dealer where they don't share a joint after the purchase.  Thats the surest way to know your product is good.. 
    one guy I used to get my stuff from would always ask me to sit down and smoke with him, even if it was 9am. I always declined. not into smoking weed with weasel-like humans. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Since he offered to share a joint with you, I’m going to assume his product is safe...and many people I know who buy off a dealer consider their dealer at the very least friends.  I’m not talking about going to the shady part of town and buy off the street corner...people who do that are just dumb...but an awful lot of people who use, have very reliable dealers who will be more than competitive upon legalization...and tax free.  And if people are doubting that you can buy legal weed under 10/gram, then visit the many licenced producers websites.

good start Aphria.com, starts at 4/gram for hybrid.

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

nope. 

It makes no sense to think that a blackmarket will "flourish" after the product in question is legal. Are you just using the wrong word? I mean, the blackmarket is "flourishing" now, before legalization. After legalization it will necessarily shrink, aka, the opposite of flourishing. There is no other way for it to work, even if there are a weird number of people willing to continue breaking the law and supporting organized criminals when they don't need to.