so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I would say that the Roast Pork here is better than the Steaks, although many consider that sacrilege.  (And the steaks are fucking great.  That is how good some of the roast pork sammies are.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    edited March 2018
    Oh man, passing those roast pork sandwiches being made while I was waiting for my steak was fucking torture! They looked so amazing. I’d love to try one some day, but with that being said, the steak is insane, I go for American personally but many people like to go for the sharp provolone, just be careful because they aren’t joking when they say SHARP, it was way to harsh for me. Also, don’t ask for whiz, they will make you feel bad about yourself if you ask for whiz there. 
    edited March 2018
    Some pics of my steaks I’ve had:

Dalessandro’s. I know, I know, it looks gross, but it’s the best, try it and prove me wrong.

Gooey Looies. A lot like Dalessandro’s but not quite as good. 

Joe’s Steak And Soda Shop. Really high quality beef and those buffalo chicken fries in the background are wicked good. 

John’s Roast Pork. This is actually my uncles sandwich with the sharp provolone, the American does a much better job at covering all the meat, not just all built up at the bottom like this pic. 

Ishkabibble’s beef steak, wasn’t the greatest but still pretty good. The cheese fries on the other hand are the best I’ve ever had.

Chubby’s. Right across the street from Dalessandro’s, decent but not nearly as good, can’t ever picture myself coming here again with Dalessandro’s right across the street, even if there is huge line (there usually is). 

Chicken Steak from Ishkabibble’s. This was my uncles and he said it was amazing, probably what I would order next time I’m here. Saw some other guy got his with steamed broccoli which looked great. 

Post edited by RiotZact on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Please submit all entries to my mouth for judging.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Ate at Zahav  last night and it was AWESOME!!
    Asked our Philly born and raised server for a cheesesteak joint recommendation and she laughed  and said "we don't eat cheesesteaks"  so I said "they're  just for tourists?" And she said "yeah!".
    Still going to Johns today
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Asked our Philly born and raised server for a cheesesteak joint recommendation and she laughed  and said "we don't eat cheesesteaks"  so I said "they're  just for tourists?" And she said "yeah!".
    Zahav is the tits

That’s not at all true. Enjoy John’s. It’s awesome. Hope you’re enjoying Philly 
    Zahav is the tits

That’s not at all true. Enjoy John’s. It’s awesome. Hope you’re enjoying Philly 
    Yeah I roll my eyes pretty hard at people like that. I’ve met several lifelong Philadelphians during my cheesesteak adventures. 
    Not sure how I forgot Cosmi’s Deli, this place is awesome! The real bitch of it? It’s literally right down the road from Pat’s and Geno’s, yet the place was totally dead when I was there, we were the only customers for like 45 minutes in the middle of a weekday afternoon, meanwhile the line at Pat’s and Geno’s was probably 40-50 people long each. Shame. 

And if you ever go here, get the seeded roll! It’s so good. It almost breaks my heart to put it at #4 on my list, really a testament to how good the top 3 are. 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Most people from here eat steaks they just don't only go to Pat's and Geno's.  
    Still have not been the zahav but will go there soon.
    Most people from here eat steaks they just don't only go to Pat's and Geno's.  
    Still have not been the zahav but will go there soon.
    Good point. The line at Dalessandro’s is always huge, are you really telling me that hundreds of tourists go to north Philly every day to get Dalessandro’s? Where there is no hotels or anything else for tourists to do? 
    Yeah the idea that people here don't eat steaks is whack.
    Has anyone ever eaten at Woodrow’s Sandwich Shop on South Street? Their cheesesteak has truffle infused whiz and cherry pepper mayo, their other sandwiches look amazing too. I think it’s fairly new. 
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    the question is, are you guys whiz people or are you wrong?
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
    Nope on both questions
    AMERICAN ALL THE WAY! At first I always went with whiz, but I switched to American and never looked back. Although sometimes when I’m getting mediocre steaks here in western PA I’ll get whiz because most places around here don’t know how to properly melt the cheese into the meat, and whiz kind of does that on its own so you can’t really fuck it up. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    D’Angelo?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    D’Angelo?
    Care to elaborate? Lol.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    RiotZact said:
    AMERICAN ALL THE WAY! At first I always went with whiz, but I switched to American and never looked back. Although sometimes when I’m getting mediocre steaks here in western PA I’ll get whiz because most places around here don’t know how to properly melt the cheese into the meat, and whiz kind of does that on its own so you can’t really fuck it up. 
    No way. It's either whiz or provolone. Only two acceptable answers.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
    Not true.
    Not true.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've never had a proper cheesesteak and I think I'm going to have to make a pilgrimage to fix that.
    I think I'd totally be a whiz guy.
    Provolone just isn't bold enough.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I've never had a proper cheesesteak and I think I'm going to have to make a pilgrimage to fix that.
    I think I'd totally be a whiz guy.
    Provolone just isn't bold enough.
    Some places offer sharp provolone, which is very bold, too bold for me actually. I find American to be a happy medium. Whiz is good too though. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Just moved back to Philly after traveling back to the homeland for the first few months of the lockdown. First place my girlfriend wanted to get was Steve’s, her personal favorite. It’s probably the most love it or hate it place because of the thick slices of steak. We both love it. 

RiotZact said:
    Just moved back to Philly after traveling back to the homeland for the first few months of the lockdown. First place my girlfriend wanted to get was Steve’s, her personal favorite. It’s probably the most love it or hate it place because of the thick slices of steak. We both love it. 

where in philly is that? Never heard of it.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    They have 3 locations 

While I’m at it, here are some of my others that I’ve knocked off of my bucket list since moving to Philly since last August:

Woodrow’s Sandwich Shop: One of my favorite cheesesteaks, they break tradition by using a truffle infused wiz and spreading cherry pepper mayo on the bun and it’s a killer combo. Easily my favorite steak on South Street. Check it out if you get the chance. 

Max’s Steaks: Really solid cheesesteak and HUGE but I was a little underwhelmed considering how much praise it gets. 

Paesano’s: These guys are more famous for many of their other sandwiches, but they make a pretty killer cheesesteak too. It’s a little small compared to some of the others but I’m a sucker for a seeded roll and if you pair it with some of their loaded french fries/fried potatoes of which they have several interesting types, you shouldn’t be hungry. 

Some others that were all decent but nothing to write home about considering their competition:

Sonny’s
    Cleavers
    Oh Brother Philly
    One Pound Cheesesteaks

RiotZact said:
    They have 3 locations 

Cool thanks. 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Had this one a few months back, after a meeting outside of Philly. Leo's Steak Shop. Was pretty good.
    Had this one a few months back, after a meeting outside of Philly. Leo's Steak Shop. Was pretty good.

That looks great! Yelp reviews and pics look amazing too. Added to my list.