The Official UFC/MMA Thread

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    igotid88 said:

Every fighter doesn't have a long shelf life in terms of being dominant in the UFC. I don't think we'll ever see a fighter go 40-0. Unless I missed it

Cruz went 10 years. Aldo went 13. Anderson went I think 7 or 8. But you're right, that's the exception, not the rule. it would also be pretty boring if someone never lost. they become mayweather. most dominant/boring boxer in history.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

Connor is a trip, but definitely has the talent. And Cody Garbrandt is going to be awesome if he keeps training the way he has been.

I have mixed feelings about Connor. I was a fan in the beginning, then when he started his Ric Flair jet-flying-limousine-riding schtick where it was all about money and fast cars and big houses, it annoyed me. have some freaking humility. and then he lost to Nate Diaz, HANDILY, and kept talking about how he was the best in the world still. Give the guy props for jumping two weight classes to fight him on short notice, but still. it's great for entertainment and PPV buys, as I'm sure I'm not in the minority of people who have switched from watching to see him win to watching to see him lose. I just want someone to shut his mouth. I thought Alvarez would. He DOMINATED. So props to him for backing it up.

And no, I don't hate on all success stories. I dislike pompous asses. I love Rousey. I am sad she's probably done. I'm rooting for Jon Jones to come back and shut Daniel Cormier's mouth. The most boring fighter on the roster.

The issue I have with this "double champ" business is, it's only 15 pound difference between weight classes. that's not a massive difference. it's not like he is the featherweight and light heavyweight champion. I'm sure many guys would have/could have done the same thing if Dana had given them the chance to do so. Connor gets what he wants. It's unfortunate because, as good as he is, I think if other guys had been afforded the same things as he has been, he wouldn't be considered so special.
    Very strong points. I look at it this way. Every fighter has 1-3 Peak stretches in
    Their career; in general that is enough. However this sport has evolved into the likes of horse racing, where freaks in the sport start appearing less and less. So those peaks are becoming harder and harder to maintain. The advantage of human sport is that there's strategy mixed in with the genetics, training, and passion and drive.
    So I watch each fight with an open mind/clean slate theory. Yes, I choose according to personality as well, however, there is as well the ability to walk your talk. I think Connor is serious and will train and fight with heart, because like Secretariat in HIS sport, Connor loves what he does. Does he need to get his head knocked around a bit more?? Yep. He definitely needs to learn some humility. And Rousey has a legacy. She stood out, she succeeded as far as she could.. But in her way through, she changed an entire sport.. period. I wish her all the best, but she needs to learn to get bashed on the face, if she wants to keep fighting.
    or how to put her hands up so she doesn't get bashed in the face. or go for the clinch right away like usual. for someone so dominant for so long, her striking defence is AWFUL. which is the main reason she should never have tried to stand up and strike with women whose striking is their strength. that was just unbelievably bad coaching.

there's an interesting theory that has been discussed about Rousey and her actual skill vs her hype; that she wasn't all that good to begin with, and once fighters realized she's beatable, they weren't defeated before getting in the cage. it appeared as though Holm wasn't scared, and Nunez definitely wasn't. that is a massive shift in momentum. once fighters were able to get past the first blitz of the first minute or so, their chances of winning increased exponentially. Sara McMann (pretty sure it was her) almost did it by getting Rousey's back and nearly tearing her head off.

Connor is entertaining, no doubt about that. I follow him on Twitter, and he posted a pic of himself in front of his mansion on the mountainside overlooking the water, with the caption "I'd hate me too". I just abhor materialism or people that think that they are superior because of their money. Maybe he's humble at home away from the cameras and whatnot, maybe it's just a persona, but he can come off as such a dick.
    I totally get that about McGregor. Never met him, but he seems a bit of a showman., but as for Rousey. She was good.. at a very select skill set. Her ground game is phenomenal in areas.. but her striking game and defense there of, is just awful, I agree
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717

igotid88 said:

Every fighter doesn't have a long shelf life in terms of being dominant in the UFC. I don't think we'll ever see a fighter go 40-0. Unless I missed it

Cruz went 10 years. Aldo went 13. Anderson went I think 7 or 8. But you're right, that's the exception, not the rule. it would also be pretty boring if someone never lost. they become mayweather. most dominant/boring boxer in history.
    Jones has only ever lost by DQ. I think he was on the path to be the biggest MMA fighter ever. I was ecstatic when I saw him destroy Rua in person for the title when he was only 23. Too bad he turned out to be a jerk.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2

igotid88 said:

Jones has only ever lost by DQ. I think he was on the path to be the biggest MMA fighter ever. I was ecstatic when I saw him destroy Rua in person for the title when he was only 23. Too bad he turned out to be a jerk.
    yeah, and my opinion is that should have been a warning, not a DQ.

he's had some issues, for sure, but based on what he says in interviews now and online, he seems like he's turned things around. we shall see if he can keep it going.

check out joe rogan's podcast with him on it. it's just a one on one. and he seems sincere.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

jesus, Jon. how stupid are you?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Jon Jones is in the hall of fame for super talented athletes whose only kryptonit is their brain.  What a dumb, dumb man.
    maybe cormier paid someone to taint one of jon's supplements! LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    just saw an ad for this ridiculous "sport."

terrible.

career choice of losers.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    just saw an ad for this ridiculous "sport."

terrible.

career choice of losers.
    it's not a "sport". it's a sport. you don't have to like it, but it's legit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I see the losers are at it again, tonight.

loser sport; loser fans.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

loser sport; loser fans.
    gee, thanks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Wobbie said:

loser sport; loser fans.
    gee, thanks. 
    He's been very cranky lately...
    Wobbie said:

loser sport; loser fans.
    gee, thanks. 
    He's been very cranky lately...
    it ain't lately. he's been on an anti-mma rant since this thread was created. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

McGregor will "absolutely be stripped of lightweight title" if he doesn't come back until September, per Dana White. that would mean he's held two titles, never defended one. 

Brutal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    You can't be the Champ and not take any challengers.  
    I've always been of the mindset that just you have to successfully defend your title to be a true Champ.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I've always been of the mindset that just you have to successfully defend your title to be a true Champ.
    agree. that's kind of a universal mindset in combat sports, is it not?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

rgambs said:
    agree. that's kind of a universal mindset in combat sports, is it not?
    It is, or at least was.
    watching a real sport on FS1.....motocross....and now I’m into the loser “sport” of MMA.

(((( click ))))

even the commentators are loser idiots.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    #braindead.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Yeah, Motorcross is known for it's scholars.
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, Motorcross is known for it's scholars.
    lol
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Wobbie said:
    watching a real sport on FS1.....motocross....and now I’m into the loser “sport” of MMA.

(((( click ))))

Wobbie said:
    #braindead.
    Your negativity is obnoxious and toxic. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    Wobbie said:

(((( click ))))

Wobbie said:
    #braindead.
    Your negativity is obnoxious and toxic. 
    let em be obnoxious if he wants to be. his problem and no one else's. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I just watched an ESPN story on Court McGee.

What a great story.  I've fallen off the map w MMA lately but this was a very impressive story!
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2492707-dead-man-fighting-ufcs-court-mcgee-seeks-to-change-lives-with-kickstarter
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

loser “sport.”

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    What a fucking clown.  Hopefully he gets arrested.  
    me??? :tired_face:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    loser “sport.”
    It's the original sport bud.
    Losers or not, it's one of only a handful of sports that make sense at all.
    Aren't you a baseball guy?  Dumbest fucking pursuit I can think of.  Even children get bored with baseball.
    Basketball?  Football?  WTF kind of drugs were people on when they decided that those idiotic rituals were worth performing and paying to see?
    What a fucking clown.  Hopefully he gets arrested.  
    He turned himself in and was arrested on a few charges. Dana White is ranting and raving that he's going to sue him. 

And yet Conor is still the fucking champion. :lol:

He fucked 3 fights on the card with his nonsense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD