Options

Ticket prices

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    I don't get how anyone can complain about their ticket prices when compared to every other band at their level. My wife and I received tickets for the main floor at a Maroon 5 show later this year and face value is $150.00 before the ticketbastard fee. I can't believe people will pay that for a 90 minute concert of slightly above average talent. Yes, PJ's ticket prices have gone up, but they're still way below every other major act out there. I think they definitely take that into consideration and stay below the price gouging amount of their peers.

At this rate, I think we all probably still owe them for the value we've been getting out of their extra hour of playing every concert for the past 2 decades. They've earned this by a mile and it's still not expensive based on market value.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    RYME said:
    Trump's tax cuts are working, People are getting raises everywhere nowadays.  PJ gets a raise too.
    I hope this is tongue in cheek....
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Young people should go see young people bands for the cheap concerts.  Old people with money see Pearl Jam.
    Young people should go see young people bands for the cheap concerts.  Old people with money see Pearl Jam.
    I'm a newly turned 18 year old freshman in college. Today as i put in for the Wrigley shows, I had just over $500 in my bank account. I'm going to get paid like $400 in a week, but this is still a huge hit. My dad's going to buy one of the tickets, but the other night I'm going alone and won't be able to sell until the night of. That means for the next 7 months, I'm going to have $122.50 less in my bank account than I should. I might find a time in the next 7 months where that  $122.50 would be very useful. 

Anyway; just because you've been alive and have gotten the chance to be a fan longer doesn't mean that you should get priority over younger fans. I'm worth just as much as a fan as anybody.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    ehbacon said:
    I'm a newly turned 18 year old freshman in college. Today as i put in for the Wrigley shows, I had just over $500 in my bank account. I'm going to get paid like $400 in a week, but this is still a huge hit. My dad's going to buy one of the tickets, but the other night I'm going alone and won't be able to sell until the night of. That means for the next 7 months, I'm going to have $122.50 less in my bank account than I should. I might find a time in the next 7 months where that  $122.50 would be very useful. 

Anyway; just because you've been alive and have gotten the chance to be a fan longer doesn't mean that you should get priority over younger fans. I'm worth just as much as a fan as anybody.
    That’s why GA is the shit! Doesn’t matter how old you are, you can be in the front if you’re lucky enough and willing to sleep on the street! 
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    edited February 2018
    When people bring up this stuff it makes me laugh. Yes it's ironic, but can we please move past that? That was a whole world ago as far as the concert business is concerned. The band will still keep the main ideas from that movement in their hearts and won't shy away from it. They will avoid tagging on the extra fees (they were way ahead of the curve too, later on, action was taken by others with more results).

Ticketmaster is just (unfortunately) the best system to leave the dirty scalper hands off of tix and until there is a better solution, we'll have to go with it.

Is it expensive? Absolutely. Should it be cheaper? I think so, especially when it is already so hard to get the opportunity to buy them anyway.
     I just don't think using the whole Ticketmaster thing is a good argument to back that statement though. Different time.
    Post edited by PJWGIII on
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    #420Dabz#420Dabz uSATx Posts: 33
    Good luck to everyone participating in the Lottery and TM Presale. Im praying for tickets to both shows. Don't matter if its from the lotto, presale, or general i just need to try and get a total of 4 tickets to each show. Like Eddie Vedder said at Wrigley 2016 Night 2. "With Patience, Dedication and Determination"  stay positive ten club fam 
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Well when you see the amount of money people drop on merch, no wonder they figure they can jack ticket prices.  I'll be limiting my merch spending which will probably all cost more too.
    Folks on here complaining about ticket prices but also willing to drop lots of money on an empty box....
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    edited February 2018
    hihobibo said:
    Well when you see the amount of money people drop on merch, no wonder they figure they can jack ticket prices.  I'll be limiting my merch spending which will probably all cost more too.
    Folks on here complaining about ticket prices but also willing to drop lots of money on an empty box....
    I doubt those are the same people
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • Options
    seattle shows are a charity event which shuts down the secondary market on stub hub. bravo PJ bravo
    8 pages later and i hope someone here has mentioned the fact that this great band STILL do not tier the prices for tickets. yes they have in the past maybe for some outdoor amphitheaters(lawn tickets) but all arena shows in north america generally have 1 price. 
    10c gets a lot of the great seats and there is no doubt about that, right?
    how many GA tickets go on sale to the public? NONE.
    how many GA tickets will go to the secondary market and get sold above face? almost none.
    if PJ tiered their tickets prices the 10c lottery ticket winners would be paying a lot more for the GA's BUT because they don't tier prices it means the upfront seats(GA&reserved) are actually worth more than face value as the person in the last row in the upper level is paying the same price as a GA ticket
    i have zero complaints. NONE.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    I wonder if in the future 10c will consider releasing the breakdown of face plus fees when they announce ticket prices. So instead of just saying $247 per pair we'd see something like:

$99 face value
    $24.50 fee per ticket

$123.50 total per ticket
    $247 per pair

I can't speak for anyone else but that would have alleviated much of my initial sticker shock yesterday. Particularly because I've seen how high some of the fees Fenway is charging this summer are. And I much rather blame Red Sox owner John Henry than Pearl Jam or 10c. :smirk:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    wnh1977 said:
    Get_Right said:
    It cost me $600 for two tix to Paul McCartney. Even more for two tickets to see Kevin Durant play basketball for two hours. A lame version of the lion king is $199 per ticket. Get real people.
    Hmmm.  Don't recall Paul McCartney saying, "Our band, which is determined to keep ticket prices low, will always be in conflict with Ticketmaster."  That was Stone Gossard.  Don't recall Kevin Durant saying he wouldn't play basketball if kids and young fans were priced out of going... or maybe you forget Ed saying they just wouldn't tour and would stick to putting out albums if tickets weren't kept affordable (back in the days they wanted total cost under $25).  When you get on your high horse and self-righteously claim that you'll always look out for the little guy because you, at one time, were the little guy, these dramatic price increases make you look a little silly.  

Nobody is saying prices shouldn't go up as the years go on.  And most agree that these are, at the very least, fair prices when compared to other large acts.  But the huge jumps over the past few years is what is alarming people.  And as somebody pointed out, throw in your $20 - $40 membership fee as part of the cost of doing business with PJ tours these days too.  It's their claim that they were different that starts to ring hollow.  I just wonder if they cringe with their sanctimonious statements from the 90's about being all about the little guy/average fans.  They weren't bashful about staking their claim to the moral high ground.  The videos and statements still exist.  I'm sure they can provide plenty of reasons for the change of tune... but they don't have to.  The fans that accept zero criticism of this band does it for them.
    You can choose not to pay the prices and skip the tour.  There is a lot of cost  when putting on a show and artists make nothing from album sales anymore.  It used to be that concerts supported album sales.  That isn't the case any more.  Back in 1993 there was no Amazon Prime, Spotify, or any other site where I got free music. Napster didn't even come into effect until 1999.  Stop your belly aching and pay for the tickets.  Or don't.  That is the best way to protest if you really feel that way.  If enough of you "protest", not only will I get GA, I will get the rail.
  • Options

One other thought.... How much pleasure have you gotten from this band over the years.. I would assume plenty since you shell out the 40 bucks a year for song and an extra t shirt.  Suddenly $250.00 is obscene for what they have given to you over the years... Hmmmmm.  I could see that for the casual fan who things the band is just Jeremy and Better Man, but not for someone who is passionate about the band, the music, and the concert experience.

Shit.... I'm not a rich guy but I've dropped $250.00 on drinks at a bar more times than I can count and on a hand of black jack a time or too as well.

• Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    You can choose not to pay the prices and skip the tour.  There is a lot of cost  when putting on a show and artists make nothing from album sales anymore.  It used to be that concerts supported album sales.  That isn't the case any more.  Back in 1993 there was no Amazon Prime, Spotify, or any other site where I got free music. Napster didn't even come into effect until 1999.  Stop your belly aching and pay for the tickets.  Or don't.  That is the best way to protest if you really feel that way.  If enough of you "protest", not only will I get GA, I will get the rail.
    Exactly, Please do not buy the tickets. Protest the prices!! I urge all the ones who are upset to stand up for what you believe!! It’s your human right!! Back out of the draw before it’s too late!! Start a revolution!!! 

........and let me score my GA Wrigley. 
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    Hard to complain about $125 tickets when we all buy $200 worth of merch at each show.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    I could think of many other things that I spend $250 on that don't bring me as much joy as PJ does.  Shit, I could spend that on a night out with dinner and drinks.  
  • Options
    Hard to complain about $125 tickets when we all buy $200 worth of merch at each show.
    We don't all do that.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    Of course I'm bummed of what seems like a large jump in prices. Of course I hoped this band would always be half the cost compared to other bands. Yes, it seems ironic if they were to play "Soon Forget" with what they charge now. They don't "need" these high prices just because other bands do it, it isn't all just the industry. They could charge what they did 2 years ago and still make a killing.
    All that being said, who here wouldn't make the most out of their time? They obviously are not into playing 30 or 40 shows in a summer anymore at their age. I mean, if I could make that kind of money in 2 weeks instead of a drawn out tour for months, I would. Wouldn't you?
    So I can be disappointed at the prices, but I can't say I wouldn't be doing the same.
    If I had a chance to make in 2 weeks what I would in the next 20 years of my career I totally would.
  • Options
    The Haves have not a Fu(k!n' clue.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646
    edited February 2018
    "Ten Club has made arrangements to get more tickets than ever before exclusively for our members. We are confident we’ll be able to accommodate most, if not all, drawing entries"

I wonder if they had to kick back extra to venues/promoters/TM in order to get this done which caused a "portion" of the increase.

More tickets available for higher cost is fine with me.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:
    Trump's tax cuts are working, People are getting raises everywhere nowadays.  PJ gets a raise too.
    I hope this is tongue in cheek....
    Absolutely ;)
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,536
    I could think of many other things that I spend $250 on that don't bring me as much joy as PJ does.  Shit, I could spend that on a night out with dinner and drinks.  
    That's the one. 

I'm not mad at the prices..I'm broke because of my own vices. What I am rationalizing is that there's a ticket fee that is going back to Wrigley for allocating so many seats to 10C. I'll pay the extra few $$ for a guaranteed pull.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    JimmyV said:
    I wonder if in the future 10c will consider releasing the breakdown of face plus fees when they announce ticket prices. So instead of just saying $247 per pair we'd see something like:

$99 face value
    $24.50 fee per ticket

$123.50 total per ticket
    $247 per pair

I can't speak for anyone else but that would have alleviated much of my initial sticker shock yesterday. Particularly because I've seen how high some of the fees Fenway is charging this summer are. And I much rather blame Red Sox owner John Henry than Pearl Jam or 10c. :smirk:
    As I told someone else. Seattle , per Ticketmaster , face is 99-112 BEFORE Fees

i would guess all the other shows are somewhere in that zone 

Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Definitely makes it a bit harder on the wallet when I just shelled out $1500 on bootleg sets from past years.  Whoops.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    ClapperClapper Toronto Posts: 206
    I love this band and I have met some really cool fans over the years but a lot of folks are out of touch. Literally every top touring act charges $150ish at the low end to $300ish at the top end per ticket for shows. Those prices are for a total stock, 90 minute set.   PJ plays a MINIMUM of 2 and a half hours and are YEARS behind what the rest of the industry is charging.  At $250 bucks per ticket they would still sell out and they are taking less than half that.  They have left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table for the sake of their fans over the the last 25 years.

Its not 1994 anymore.  EVERYTHING is more expensive and most things have increased at a much higher pace than inflation. All the costs associated with touring have spiked.  Travel, hotels, fuel, staff, venues - all way more money than they used to be. I'd be willing to be PJ pays their staff a better than average wage too.  

I understand that we all wish live music more affordable and it sucks when costs grow faster than what some of us earn but what are our expectations of this band?   Again, they have turned away HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars on our behalf.   How can we possibly still want more from them?

1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    dlymnfld said:
    I have had Patriot season tickets since 1992. 28 dollars then, 160 dollars now. Patriots sucked then and are great now. PJ in 92 played a short set and now a pretty long set. All relative. 

How much did the Patriots tickets cost in 2016.  Have they increased by 30+% since then??

• Options
    rey said:
    dlymnfld said:
    I have had Patriot season tickets since 1992. 28 dollars then, 160 dollars now. Patriots sucked then and are great now. PJ in 92 played a short set and now a pretty long set. All relative. 

How much did the Patriots tickets cost in 2016.  Have they increased by 30+% since then??

This is a fair point. The bump from 2016 to 2018 is far more relevant than anything the band said or did or charged in 1992 or 1994.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    JimmyV said:
    rey said:
    dlymnfld said:

This is a fair point. The bump from 2016 to 2018 is far more relevant than anything the band said or did or charged in 1992 or 1994.
    Correct.  The 1994 argument is not valid in my opinion; the pressing issue is why are tickets so much more expensive as compared to only two years ago?  Yes I have a good paying job and can afford it but you have to admit it is a really big jump.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    JimmyV said:
    rey said:
    dlymnfld said:

I don't care what other artists charge for their tickets, how much PJ tickets cost in the '90s, or how much tickets to a sporting event cost.  The bottom line is that PJ played baseball stadiums in 2016 and are playing baseball stadiums again 2018.  The cost for the EXACT same product has increased by 30+ % in the course of just two years.  Think about other products you purchase and how you would feel about a 30% increase for the EXACT same product in just two years. 

I fully expected the 2018 tickets to cost more than the 2016 tickets because everything goes up in price.  I totally get that.  I just did not expect they would go up by that much and am having a hard time understanding why.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I wonder with the new ticket system if we’ll hear a lot of discussion about more empty seats at the shows.  I’m not as much talking about ticket prices as much as I’m talking about the smart phone system.... are people who get tickets going to have a harder time selling their extras?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
This discussion has been closed.