Options

Ticket prices

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,235
    RobbyD462 said:
    A pair of GA in Vancouver was $165 Canadian in 2014 now its $260 usd for a way bigger venue.
    $260 is like $320 Canadian what the fuck happened!
    To be fair, at most concerts I've been too, Canadian tickets are sold at a discount compared to their US counterparts (when you factor in the FX rate).  Comparing tickets from a Canadian show to a US isn't an entirely fair comparison.

I agree on the sentiment though.  They already make more by playing venues twice (or more) as big as the usual venues, so the price increase at the same time really seems to generate a lot more revenue. 

At the same time all of their competitors are pretty much doing the same thing, so it's not like they're worst offenders of expensive tickets.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,146
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    It's a cool kid thing to shit on Even Flow. If you are in the pisser when it gets played you are missing one of the great Mike McCready solos. Your loss.

It's actually funny all the ragging it gets to me because when Even Flow hit the radio back in the day, I was very impressed with that solo, considering we just had to suffer a decade of hair bands and new wave garbage. 

Now when Jeremy followed EF as a single, damn that was the worst song on ten. And MTV was playing it non stop. Why?
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    $245 /2 = $122.50 / 30 = $4.08 per song or over $8.00 per song per pair of tickets
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    $245 /2 = $122.50 / 30 = $4.08 per song or over $8.00 per song per pair of tickets
    But not all songs are the same length. You can;t give an 8 minute version of Porch the same cost of a 3-minute MFC. Will someone please break it down for me by song length so I really know what I am paying for.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    mace1229 said:
    But not all songs are the same length. You can;t give an 8 minute version of Porch the same cost of a 3-minute MFC. Will someone please break it down for me by song length so I really know what I am paying for.
    Well, if they play a 3 hour show then it's around .68 cents per concert minute (including talking and encore breaks). Let's assume around 15 minutes for Ed banter and breaks and that gives us a rough estimate of .74 cents per minute. So that's about $7.50 to hear RVM and .74 cents to hear fast Lukin (triple that for slow Lukin) :wink:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I never cared for Lukin before, but now that you put it that way, its kind of a bargain of a song.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I never cared for Lukin before, but now that you put it that way, its kind of a bargain of a song.
    Haha! I can't wait for the fan signs that say, "I'll give you 3 quarters for Lukin!" Maybe we could bring back the quarter rant in a friendlier way...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    Well, if they play a 3 hour show then it's around .68 cents per concert minute (including talking and encore breaks). Let's assume around 15 minutes for Ed banter and breaks and that gives us a rough estimate of .74 cents per minute. So that's about $7.50 to hear RVM and .74 cents to hear fast Lukin (triple that for slow Lukin) :wink:
    Now factor in the cost of travel and hotels to be able to see the shows! Now that's scary.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    Kinda fun to think about this when they play repeats over a 2-night stand.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,248
    JimmyV said:
    It's a cool kid thing to shit on Even Flow. If you are in the pisser when it gets played you are missing one of the great Mike McCready solos. Your loss.
    Agreed
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Y'all, I'm on my fourth, yes fourth, round of battling cancer.  I put in my two choices and I'm hoping I get one.  I wouldn't care if the tickets were $400 each....at this point I'm happy I have something to look forward to, and if I actually make it all the way to August, I'll be there with a big ass smile on my face.  To each his own.  Can't we just be happy our favorite band on earth is still touring?
    It is all about perspective. I wish you all the best and hope you get front row and enjoy every show this tour!! I hope you are able to beat cancer's ass!! 
  • Options
    kaw753 said:
    Now that I am in my early 40's, I have less of an issue with the ticket price and more of an issue with them being non-refundable. It is hard to know I can be in Chicago on a specific night 8 months from now. I would love to have the option to bail out and transfer to another 10C member at face value or have them go back into the pool and given to the next person on the lottery list.
    Bingo!! This exactly is how I feel. I can't commit to a long weekend in September now with two kids, a profession that thrives on weekends and a wife that may kaibosh my plans at any given moment!! 
    Would love an option to get the 10club tickets and be able to sell them to fellow members or something. 
  • Options
    tbergs said: lol
    mace1229 said:
    To be fair, we need to include feet from stage in cost.

Since the reserveds all cost the same, yet the seniority policy demonstrates they are far from equal in value, let's add a nickel per foot from stage, and find out how much of the "value" is subsidized by us fans from day -1 but didn't want to join a club ;-)
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    expensive in my opinion why not do tickets at about 60 quid each im sure pj can afford it i think they will make plenty of cash on there tours 
    danny d
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,838
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed
    Double agreed. 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed
    Double agreed. 
    Even Flow live is still the shit. Now, if I hear it on a bootleg of a show I didn't attend, yeah, likely to skip it unless it's one of the epic versions.
  • Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed

I totally agree.  Still love hearing Even Flow live.  I usually choose to step out during Elderly.

• Options
    reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    edited February 2018
    mace1229 said:
    kaw753 said:
    Now that I am in my early 40's, I have less of an issue with the ticket price and more of an issue with them being non-refundable. It is hard to know I can be in Chicago on a specific night 8 months from now. I would love to have the option to bail out and transfer to another 10C member at face value or have them go back into the pool and given to the next person on the lottery list.
    I wouldn't even feel that bad about losing out on my money if they at least let me donate them back to the 10c and were resold for charity. I'd know they didn't go to waste and my money didn't just go to waste either. How is that not a win-win?

I thought they did do something like this with unused Ten Club tix?  I know someone who wasn't able to use tix to a show in 2013 due to a serious medical issue so he contacted Ten Club to see if there was anything they would do for him.  They wouldn't budge on the refund, but if I remember correctly I thought they told him the tix would be donated somewhere or used to upgrade fans that were at the show.
    Post edited by rey on
  • Options
    IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    I wouldn't pay $500 if Jesus Christ himself was doing a sunset acoustic show.

$300 for PJ in a small intimate, setting?  Maybe.  Not in a ballpark 
    If $500 includes a meet & greet package and JC covers I Believe In Miracles I'm calling it a bargain.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • Options
    JR86440JR86440 Posts: 738
    edited February 2018
    I don't have time to read all the comments about how high ticket prices are. Real quickly,  120 dollars for a 3 hour PJ show is dirt cheap in my opinion. Go search tickemaster and see how much it costs to see fucking Poison. 100 to several hundreds of dollars. Guess what, Poison sucks and I am guessing they don't play for 3 hours. Also, 120 dollars, and 6 people in band. Everything is expensive nowadays. I am no concert guru when it comes to all people needed to make sure the show goes on as planned but they have to pay people to set shit up, they have to pay fenway, they have to pay 10club employees yada yada yada. There are a lot of fucking costs that go into setting up a show. If PJ were greedy they would do what everybody else was doing and charge 1500 for first 10 rows. In fact I wish they would do that so I could buy the best seats in the house in Fenway instead of being 50 rows back.. 120 is a steal!!!
    Post edited by JR86440 on
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    JR86440 said:
    I don't have time to read all the comments about how ticket prices are. Real quickly,  120 dollars for a 3 hour PJ show is dirt cheap in my opinion. Go search tickemaster and see how much it costs to see fucking Poison. 100 to several hundreds of dollars. Guess what, Poison sucks and I am guessing they don't play for 3 hours. Also, 120 dollars, and 6 people in band. Everything is expensive nowadays. I am no concert guru when it comes to all people needed to make sure the show goes on as planned but they have to pay people to set shit up, they have to pay fenway, they have to pay 10club employees yada yada yada. There are a lot of fucking costs that go into setting up a show. If PJ were greedy they would do what everybody else was doing and charge 1500 for first 10 rows. In fact I wish they would do that so I could buy the best seats in the house in Fenway instead of being 50 rows back.. 120 is a steal!!!
    Thank you for this. :plus_one:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PearlJayPearlJay Tucson, AZ Posts: 16
    I'm done with worrying about ticket prices. They are what they are regardless. I'm a little sad because I feel like the days of following a tour might be over and those were some of the best moments of my life. It's just getting too expensive. Hotels, tickets, airfare.. it all adds up. I think the days of Pearl Jam playing full tours are over. Honestly I don't blame them..they are older (aren't we all), they have families, and not to mention they each have different projects that they are all involved in. I feel like my chances of seeing my favorite band are limited, so I'm just going to try and enjoy it while I can.
    Chicago, Illinois (July 21, 1991)
    Chicago, Illinois (March 28, 1992)
    Chicago, Illinois (March 13, 1994)
    Chicago, Illinois (July 11, 1995)
    Chicago, Illinois (June 29, 1998)
    Chicago, Illinois (October 05, 2005)
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre (September 04, 2011)
    Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
  • Options
    rey said:
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    Agreed

I totally agree.  Still love hearing Even Flow live.  I usually choose to step out during Elderly.

Glad Even Flow got some support.

Live Jones Beach 2000 just popped on my random . Mike is effing shredding it. Kicks Jeremy's arse every effing time.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    It's evolution baby, deal with it folks.  Prices go up with time, just like inflation and the stock market (until very recently).  
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PearlJay said:
    I'm done with worrying about ticket prices. They are what they are regardless. I'm a little sad because I feel like the days of following a tour might be over and those were some of the best moments of my life. It's just getting too expensive. Hotels, tickets, airfare.. it all adds up. I think the days of Pearl Jam playing full tours are over. Honestly I don't blame them..they are older (aren't we all), they have families, and not to mention they each have different projects that they are all involved in. I feel like my chances of seeing my favorite band are limited, so I'm just going to try and enjoy it while I can.
    And there ya go.  If you can do it, great, and have a blast on any and all fronts.  If not (factor in time off from work too, plus the fuckery of traveling nowadays), so be it.  Sometimes life itself, and practicality, are a priority.

I am in love with that sweet-faced Pit in your av, by the way :)
  • Options
    Unless you're one of very few who's seen them literally 100+ times, I don't get why you'd get tired of a song live.
    If you've been to 20 or 30 shows and don't want a song played because it's played at 75% of the shows you go to, then I assume you don't buy any bootlegs? Because what would be the point of buying bootlegs if listening to a song 10 times makes you tired of it, right?
    For my any song I enjoyed at my first show I will enjoy at my 19th show (granted I get tickets to Wrigley!). That includes Even Flow, Elderly, Betterman and especially Yellow Ledbetter.
  • Options
    PearlJayPearlJay Tucson, AZ Posts: 16
    hedonist said:

I am in love with that sweet-faced Pit in your av, by the way :)
    Thanks! That's my boy Titus...he's a big blue eyed marshmallow of a Pit!
    Chicago, Illinois (July 21, 1991)
    Chicago, Illinois (March 28, 1992)
    Chicago, Illinois (March 13, 1994)
    Chicago, Illinois (July 11, 1995)
    Chicago, Illinois (June 29, 1998)
    Chicago, Illinois (October 05, 2005)
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre (September 04, 2011)
    Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018)
  • Options
    rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    edited February 2018
    Seattle is understandable.  $11.50 an hour minimum to every event staffer I'm sure makes the cost of the show more expensive.  Take it or leave it I guess
  • Options
    I'd have no problem at all with the prices if there was GA at Fenway (the only show I can attend) or if I knew where my seats would be before I committed to buying them. Unfortunately the way things are I will probably be paying a large sum of money to be really far away. I'll still have fun, but I wish I had more control over the process such as being able to only put in for the front sections or at least the ability to transfer my tix/put them back in the pool if the seats are terrible.
    [X]  Greenville, SC (September 04, 1998)
    [X]  Charlotte, NC (August 04, 2000)
    [X]  Charlotte, NC (April 16, 2003)
    [X]  Asheville, NC (October 06, 2004)
    [X]  Columbia, SC(June 16, 2008)
    [X]  Charlotte, NC (October 30, 2013)
    [X]  Austin, TX (October 12, 2014)
    [X]  NYC (September 26, 2015)
    [X]  Columbia, SC (April 21, 2016)
This discussion has been closed.