disgusting humans

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Also, do you know how the best way to achieve change is? To shit all over the people that are trying to meet you half way. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    tbergs said:
    And all the other animals in the cycle of life that eat other animals suck too. Are you religious? Do you believe in Santa? And God? If you do... I could understand your mentality a bit- you think we are above the other species inhabiting this earth.

If not... then don't just save your disdain for humans: fish suck. Birds suck (what did insects ever do to them?). Lions and hyenas suck. Cats suck. And all the other flesh eating animals too. We all suck.

I was born in a time where localized economies and subsistence farming is an impossibility. It's not laziness. It's reality. Hop off your high horse (and get some iron in your diet).
    The difference would be that those animals are carnivores. We are not, but we choose to be because we like the taste. You are right in that our current world doesn't make local farming and sustainability a focus so we have foregone ethical and decent conditions for how a lot of our food is raised and grown (not just meat). It completely blows, but people love low prices even though it usually means the above type of situations for the chick conveyor o' fun.

As for your comment about iron, just eat some beans and dark greens. Much better source of iron than meat. My lifestyle and economic situation allow me to choose not to eat meat or dairy products, but I also understand not everyone can afford to spend money on good clean food that was raised organically at a local level.
    Actually I'm pretty sure (and correct me if I'm wrong), but eating a vegetarian diet is less expensive than a meat diet.  And if the meat diet is, somehow, cheaper, then the food has probably been masses produced in ways that make it unhealthy,  and when people eat poorly, their medical costs go up.  I think of healthy eating as cost saving in terms of fewer medical costs and decreased loss of time being productive with ones life.  I can think you no reasonable excuse for anyone to eat McDonald's Carcinogen Burgers or KFC Krispy Road Kill.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• People in some larger cities have very little access to fresh food (either plant or animal). When options are slim... there's not much of a choice.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RiotZact said:
    Also, do you know how the best way to achieve change is? To shit all over the people that are trying to meet you half way. 
    yes, in my experience, extreme judgement always works best, doesn't it? :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    People in some larger cities have very little access to fresh food (either plant or animal). When options are slim... there's not much of a choice.
    It is amazing how pathetic the produce aisles look in some of the stores I've been to, but then there are five million sodium injected concoctions every 5 feet for .99 cents. Yuck.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    People in some larger cities have very little access to fresh food (either plant or animal). When options are slim... there's not much of a choice.
    It is amazing how pathetic the produce aisles look in some of the stores I've been to, but then there are five million sodium injected concoctions every 5 feet for .99 cents. Yuck.
    in winnipeg, there isn't even a supermaket anywhere near our downtown core, which is our poorest area. and people wonder why the poor are obese/unhealthy. they have no access to healthy foods even if they wanted them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I eat various meats and will never apologize for it or allow someone to shame me over it (and frankly, I'm craving a Pink's chili cheeseburger right now =) ).

In various lower-income areas here, there are community gardens which are beneficial in so many ways, including that access.  People coming together, digging in the dirt - the process itself can be therapeutic, children learning about foods and health, and literally reaping what they sow...I've even heard of homeowners planting fruit trees on the perimeter of their property so random passers-by can partake if they need or want.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    Anyone eating meat in 2018 is disgusting and morally/emphatically ignorant. 

No.

The factory farms are disgusting and you've definitely got a reason to be upset about those... but human beings are human beings and we need to eat. I'm not going to apologize for my existence.

People can eat meat ethically. We typically buy our meat from a local butcher who only sells free range animals. We recently bought beef from a 4H girl. We never buy the multi packs from Costco of frozen chicken breasts or wings or hamburger patties.

We also try to buy locally grown produce whenever we can (farmer's market).

That's not to say we don't ever eat meat of the 'unethical variety' (we can't control restaurant and pub selections), but we are aware of the conditions some animals endure and are not cool with it.
    Agreed. Calling people who eat meat disgusting and morally ignorant isn't helpful or even particularly rational. I think the ones who would rightfully be called out on this kind of thing are the law makers. Why in the fuck factory farm shit like that is legal is completely beyond me. The issue should be a major factor in politics IMO - I would love to see those running for office make this a major platform issue. I think the public would really get on board with fixing this industry so that the treatment of the animals we eat is straightened out. Both provincial/state and federal laws needs to be changed dramatically. Of course the reason this doesn't happen is because this would increase the price of meat across the board, and politicians are worried that voters won't vote for them because of it. And they might be right.... a LOT of people put money before all other things. Meanwhile, yeah, people gotta eat. Those who can afford to buy humane meat, they should. I personally will only buy free range eggs, which are twice the price, but since eggs are so cheap anyhow, I think just about everyone could probably manage to at least only buy free range eggs, even low income folks. Actual meat, that is where it gets tough.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    And all the other animals in the cycle of life that eat other animals suck too. Are you religious? Do you believe in Santa? And God? If you do... I could understand your mentality a bit- you think we are above the other species inhabiting this earth.

If not... then don't just save your disdain for humans: fish suck. Birds suck (what did insects ever do to them?). Lions and hyenas suck. Cats suck. And all the other flesh eating animals too. We all suck.

I was born in a time where localized economies and subsistence farming is an impossibility. It's not laziness. It's reality. Hop off your high horse (and get some iron in your diet).
    The difference would be that those animals are carnivores. We are not, but we choose to be because we like the taste. You are right in that our current world doesn't make local farming and sustainability a focus so we have foregone ethical and decent conditions for how a lot of our food is raised and grown (not just meat). It completely blows, but people love low prices even though it usually means the above type of situations for the chick conveyor o' fun.

As for your comment about iron, just eat some beans and dark greens. Much better source of iron than meat. My lifestyle and economic situation allow me to choose not to eat meat or dairy products, but I also understand not everyone can afford to spend money on good clean food that was raised organically at a local level.
    Actually I'm pretty sure (and correct me if I'm wrong), but eating a vegetarian diet is less expensive than a meat diet.  And if the meat diet is, somehow, cheaper, then the food has probably been masses produced in ways that make it unhealthy,  and when people eat poorly, their medical costs go up.  I think of healthy eating as cost saving in terms of fewer medical costs and decreased loss of time being productive with ones life.  I can think you no reasonable excuse for anyone to eat McDonald's Carcinogen Burgers or KFC Krispy Road Kill.
    Brian, why do you think McDonald's burgers cause cancer any more than other burgers? It's still just beef. So you think regular 100% beef is a carcinogen?

I personally think, along with most doctors, that a balanced diet that includes animal proteins is the healthiest diet. That said, animal proteins include dairy and eggs, so it is healthy to eat a balanced diet without eating meat. Me? I like meat and will never be a vegetarian, and I'm good with that. I accept my place on the food chain - we all pick our own battles. But I want the meat industry to change. And yeah, that cause will never, ever be helped by fanatics attempting to shame people or by putting out false facts. What does help is for people to expose the abuses within the industry. Not by attacking the consumers. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

Brian, why do you think McDonald's burgers cause cancer any more than other burgers? It's still just beef. So you think regular 100% beef is a carcinogen?

I personally think, along with most doctors, that a balanced diet that includes animal proteins is the healthiest diet. That said, animal proteins include dairy and eggs, so it is healthy to eat a balanced diet without eating meat. Me? I like meat and will never be a vegetarian, and I'm good with that. I accept my place on the food chain - we all pick our own battles. But I want the meat industry to change. And yeah, that cause will never, ever be helped by fanatics attempting to shame people or by putting out false facts. What does help is for people to expose the abuses within the industry. Not by attacking the consumers. 
    it's not 100% pure beef, though. the preservatives and chemicals they add during the production process, while motherfucking drool-inducing-delicious, are not 100% beef. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

it's not 100% pure beef, though. the preservatives and chemicals they add during the production process, while motherfucking drool-inducing-delicious, are not 100% beef. 
    That is a complete urban myth. Their burgers really are 100% beef, preservative free, and the only extra shit in it is salt and pepper. Zero fillers.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

That is a complete urban myth. Their burgers really are 100% beef, preservative free, and the only extra shit in it is salt and pepper. Zero fillers.
    I'm not talking about their other urban myths of the company being called 100% beef or chicken feathers in the milkshakes. I'm talking about common sense. Aren't all mass produced food items not prepared on site chalk-full of preservatives. or just flash frozen?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

I'm not talking about their other urban myths of the company being called 100% beef or chicken feathers in the milkshakes. I'm talking about common sense. Aren't all mass produced food items not prepared on site chalk-full of preservatives. or just flash frozen?
    Yeah, there aren't any preservatives in their burger patties at all. They are just flash frozen. There are plenty of fast food/mass produced staples that are natural. I'm no fast food cheerleader or anything, but a lot of the time the "badness" of their products are just way overblown.

Now their fries... I know there was another urban myth going around about how they put sugar in with the salt when they season the fries after they're cooked, and that's why McD's fries are so fucking good, lol. Well, that isn't true, but the fact is that they coat the fries with a liquid fructose spray, after they're cut and before they're frozen, and THAT is why they taste so fucking good. ;) And quite frankly, I don't give a shit. I hardly ever visit a McDonald's, but when I do (usually when extremely hungover), my mouth literally waters over those fries - they're just so damn tasty.... I wouldn't be feeding them to my kids though.

• PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

True.

Except the beef is of the 'factory farm' variety full of antibiotics, hormones, and bacteria that isn't exactly healthy (not to mention unethical).

The old patties used to have the legal limit of 'pink slime' which was rendered waste meat that wasn't even fit for dog food given the process to separate it from organs, bone, etc.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

Yeah, there aren't any preservatives in their burger patties at all. They are just flash frozen.

Now their fries... I know there was another urban myth going around about how they put sugar in with the salt when they season the fries after they're cooked, and that's why McD's fries are so fucking good, lol. Well, that isn't true, but the fact is that they coat the fries with a liquid fructose spray, after they're cut and before they're frozen, and THAT is why they taste so fucking good. ;) And quite frankly, I don't give a shit. I hardly ever visit a McDonald's, but when I do (usually when extremely hungover), my mouth literally waters over those fries - they're just so damn tasty.

what 30 said, but also, look at my link and what's in the rest of what goes on a McD's burger. the bun's ingredients are nasty, to start with. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

Yeah, there aren't any preservatives in their burger patties at all. They are just flash frozen.

Now their fries... I know there was another urban myth going around about how they put sugar in with the salt when they season the fries after they're cooked, and that's why McD's fries are so fucking good, lol. Well, that isn't true, but the fact is that they coat the fries with a liquid fructose spray, after they're cut and before they're frozen, and THAT is why they taste so fucking good. ;) And quite frankly, I don't give a shit. I hardly ever visit a McDonald's, but when I do (usually when extremely hungover), my mouth literally waters over those fries - they're just so damn tasty.

what 30 said, but also, look at my link and what's in the rest of what goes on a McD's burger. the bun's ingredients are nasty, to start with. 
    Lol

The bun is the worst thing. Nobody really kicks up too much of a fuss over the buns, but they are not food.
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

True.

Except the beef is of the 'factory farm' variety full of antibiotics, hormones, and bacteria that isn't exactly healthy (not to mention unethical).

The old patties used to have the legal limit of 'pink slime' which was rendered waste meat that wasn't even fit for dog food given the process to separate it from organs, bone, etc.
    True.... just like most of the beef you buy in the grocery store though. It's not like there are more in McD's beef than any other regular market beef. Also, even that has been way overblown. The amount of hormones and shit used is usually so miniscule that it poses no risk to health whatsoever. Honestly, I feel like the hype about this kind of thing can't be trusted AT ALL. I mistrust info about "the dangers of our food" every bit as much, if not more, than I do those mass producing food. I suggest everyone VERY thoroughly research all this shit, and make sure to read about both sides of the coin. There is an outrageous amount of exaggeration and misinformation and straight up bullshit going around as fact when it comes to this topic. Example: remember "Super Size Me"? Well, it turned out that most of that was 100% bullshit. Other documentaries trying to vilify the food industry are also largely crap. The "food warriors" often have no limit to what they'll say to try and convince people that the entire food industry is going to kill them. That is not so say that the food industry is on the up and up... generally, the truth lays somewhere in between.
    A&W uses antibiotic and steroid free beef though.
    how was super size me bullshit? I mean, it was unrealistic in that in makes no sense to eat any fast food, or even eat restaurant meals, 100% of the time, but he ate the food, he gained weight. he made a lot of money pointing out the obvious. just like eating frozen dinners for every meal would be unhealthy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

yeah, A&W talks about their beef all the time. notice they conveniently don't mention anything about their unfortunately-named "chubby" chicken? yeah, won't touch it. 

give me my massive uncle burger with bacon and cheddar with a side of onion rings though. :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    yeah, A&W talks about their beef all the time. notice they conveniently don't mention anything about their unfortunately-named "chubby" chicken? yeah, won't touch it. 

give me my massive uncle burger with bacon and cheddar with a side of onion rings though. :lol:
    They do actually. I've seen plenty of ads about that - their chicken is raised without antibiotics. It's actually the best chicken burger on the market. I don't usually go for chicken burgers, but damn, theirs is fucking good.
    PJ_Soul said:

They do actually. I've seen plenty of adds about that - their chicken is raised without antibiotics. It's actually the best chicken burger on the market.
    never seen them mention their chicken once. not even on their signage at the restaurant. 

I just don't buy chicken sandwiches at fast food places. never been a fan. used to like KFC's big crunch back in the day. now it's more like a big soggy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

anyway, we've derailed another thread, yet again.

I blame it on spiritual chaos. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    how was super size me bullshit? I mean, it was unrealistic in that in makes no sense to eat any fast food, or even eat restaurant meals, 100% of the time, but he ate the food, he gained weight. he made a lot of money pointing out the obvious. just like eating frozen dinners for every meal would be unhealthy. 
    A bunch of people have attempted to replicate the supposed results (i.e., the liver damage, the depression and mood swings, etc etc) in the film and nobody has been able to come close, and even just the amount of calories he claimed to have eaten don't pan out when you actually do the math. Yes, his cholesterol numbers went up and he gained weight, which is reasonable and to be expected with such an unrealistic forced diet ... but that is the only result that can actually can be proven from the experiment.
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

This seems to be happening a lot around here lately.  
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:

This seems to be happening a lot around here lately.  
    Pretty easy to get back on track... Besides, it still seems on topic, since someone said we're all disgusting because of the food/meat we eat.
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

They do actually. I've seen plenty of adds about that - their chicken is raised without antibiotics. It's actually the best chicken burger on the market.
    never seen them mention their chicken once. not even on their signage at the restaurant. 

I just don't buy chicken sandwiches at fast food places. never been a fan. used to like KFC's big crunch back in the day. now it's more like a big soggy. 
    Really? They did a media blitz about it in BC, and they have big signs about it at the restaurants where I am. Yeah, I don't buy chicken burgers either, ever ... At least not until I discovered the A&W ones. I bought it just because they were promoing it as part of said media blitz and it was really cheap. I couldn't believe how good it was. I maybe eat fast food half a dozen times a year, and A&W is now where I go 5 out of those 6 times, mainly for the chicken burgers.
  • hedonist said:
    I eat various meats and will never apologize for it or allow someone to shame me over it (and frankly, I'm craving a Pink's chili cheeseburger right now =) ).

In various lower-income areas here, there are community gardens which are beneficial in so many ways, including that access.  People coming together, digging in the dirt - the process itself can be therapeutic, children learning about foods and health, and literally reaping what they sow...I've even heard of homeowners planting fruit trees on the perimeter of their property so random passers-by can partake if they need or want.
    Singing at the Super Bowl wasn’t enough of a payout that she had to open a burger joint?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    i hit A&W when I do fast food. their burgers just taste better. 

and no, mind you I don't have cable tv and haven't in a few years, but never heard them talk about their chicken burgers in any similar light. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    A good, fairly recent book about why we eat crap and what to do about it:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.