2016 Single

167891012»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited January 2018
    I don't like Around and Around at all, simply because I don't personally care for that style of rock. What is it, like swing rock? Whatever you call it, this is a particular old-school style of rock, and I feel like it all sounds basically the same, and it bores the shit out of me. I'm fine with the fact the PJ chose this song for the single. I just don't happen to like it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't like Around and Around at all, simply because I don't personally care for that style of rock. What is it, like swing rock? Whatever you call it, this is a particular old-school style of rock, and I feel like it all sounds basically the same, and it bores the shit out of me. I'm fine with the fact the PJ chose this song for the single. I just don't happen to like it.
    I like it for the interest factor, but I agree, I'm not particularly fond of the song itself. If PJ wasn't doing it, I wouldn't listen to it. Same with that Brandi Carlyle song. But I am always in favour of hearing them do something I've never heard before. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    PJ_Soul said:
    Swing rock? Oh Soul. Haha! You can thank Chuck for all the tasty riffs you hear in music you enjoy today. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Swing rock? Oh Soul. Haha! You can thank Chuck for all the tasty riffs you hear in music you enjoy today. 
    Lol, well it is - that's the shit you can swing dance to. :lol: I'm not a fan of it, that's all. Not that I don't appreciate its clear pivotal role in the history of rock. Of course I'm aware of that. Thank god for Marty McFly and Marvin Berry. =)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    tbergs said:
    I think the single is great. Haven't gotten it in the mail yet, surprisingly, but I've listened to the downloads. For Alive, it's interesting because despite having listened to probably hundreds of live versions of Alive, I don't think I've ever heard one with Krusen because of the low-quality of any recordings of shows he's drummed on. So that's cool. I also like soundchecks, rehearsals, or "live in studio," performances. That's why those pirate radio broadcasts from 1995 and 1998 are some of my favorites. 

As for Around And Around, this is exactly what Pearl Jam holiday singles should be about: the band playing songs that it makes no sense for them to play. Before Last Kiss became an insufferable, loathsome, radio hit, it had some charm in a "Ummm....Pearl Jam is playing a teenage love song from the 50's?" way. Someday At Christmas is cut from the same mold. "A Jackson 5 Christmas cover?" The difference between those two songs and Around And Around is that they were nice little one-offs, but this makes me want an entire Chuck Berry cover album from Pearl Jam lol.
    I agree on the cover. I was thinking about this the other day and if they jammed one random cover before every concert, I would gladly pay the price to get them all pressed to a vinyl and have them available as a purchase at the end of the year. They could pull a few unreleased tracks from that just for the single. Even playing some of their rarities as one of the songs.

One of the reasons I was so baffled on the delay of the 2016 single is the fact that they had a tour that year and could have easily recorded something during a rehearsal. I love the single we just got, but it would have been a nice 2017 single too.
    That’s a pretty cool idea, I like the sound of that!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited January 2018

It's on deck! :triumph:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    deadendp said:

It's on deck! :triumph:

AND it's being shipped using UPS Mail Innovations...
    so there's THAT!! :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

We may get it next month but...it's coming!!! :plus_one:
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2018
    Mine came today, Ring wear and big fold on cover. Pair that with a horrible Rainbo pressing. Mastering was fine, however the record had a mild warp, dirty as hell, and had multiple scuffs and nicks. Was worried it wouldn't play through, but it did.

Also found it funny that the mastering house that cut the record cut Round and Round as the A side and Alive as the B side.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, well it is - that's the shit you can swing dance to. :lol: I'm not a fan of it, that's all. Not that I don't appreciate its clear pivotal role in the history of rock. Of course I'm aware of that. Thank god for Marty McFly and Marvin Berry. =)
    Pffft! Hahahahaha!!!! MARVIN BERRY!
    guitarist GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    PJ_Soul said:

I was cracking up on this too.  PJSoul, Chuck invented rock n roll!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited January 2018
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

People, I know that, lol! Everyone knows that. I called it that because I couldn't think of another label for it. It's not classic rock ... So what do you call it? Golden oldies rock?? I have no idea what you call it. :lol:
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

People, I know that, lol! Everyone knows that. I called it that because I couldn't think of another label for it. It's not classic rock ... So what do you call it? Golden oldies rock?? I have no idea what you call it. :lol:

Rock n Roll!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited January 2018
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Rock n Roll!!!!
    I thought it was all rock n roll, hahaha. It's gotta be some kind of subgenre of rock n roll! :tongue: Are you saying that Chuck Berry is Rock n Roll, and all other rock is just a subgenre of that? Is that how it works? :pensive:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Got mine in Columbus today!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    derbydave said:
    Got mine in Columbus today!!
    That's good to here.  Hopefully mine is waiting for me when I get home.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    edited January 2018
    MedozK said:
    Mine came today, Ring wear and big fold on cover. Pair that with a horrible Rainbo pressing. Mastering was fine, however the record had a mild warp, dirty as hell, and had multiple scuffs and nicks. Was worried it wouldn't play through, but it did.

Also found it funny that the mastering house that cut the record cut Round and Round as the A side and Alive as the B side.
    I honestly didn't think that mine would play through. If I saw it in a bin at the store, I would have passed it by for quality. It did play just fine. :plus_one:
    Post edited by deadendp on
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Rock n Roll!!!!
    I thought it was all rock n roll, hahaha. It's gotta be some kind of subgenre of rock n roll! :tongue: Are you saying that Chuck Berry is Rock n Roll, and all other rock is just a subgenre of that? Is that how it works? :pensive:
    Yep, that's how it works. You can't be a sub-genre of something that hadn't really existed before :)

(Tim Rogers)
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    deadendp said:
    MedozK said:

I honestly didn't think that mine would play through. If I saw it in a bin at the store, I would have passed it by for quality. It did play just fine. :plus_one:
    Ok, lol. Glad to see mine wasn't the only one. But sorry yours looked like that.
    MedozK said:
    deadendp said:
    MedozK said:

Ok, lol. Glad to see mine wasn't the only one. But sorry yours looked like that.
    I also scored the slight warp! Hey, at least it wasn't just you. :wink: 
  • ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Rock n Roll!!!!
    Yep, that's how it works. You can't be a sub-genre of something that hadn't really existed before :)
    +1
    Chuck Berry IS Rock & Roll.
    Class is now dismissed.
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • i gotta say this about that. around and around is one hell of a great song to cover. bravo PJ bravo.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    ski-bum said:
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Rock n Roll!!!!
    +1
    Chuck Berry IS Rock & Roll.
    Class is now dismissed.
    you can like a band but not like their influences. i have zero interest in the who, for instance. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,062
    i gotta say this about that. around and around is one hell of a great song to cover. bravo PJ bravo.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Hope Around And Around makes it on a few set lists this year. 
    Still waiting for them to bust out Last Soldier again! Around and Around can join the queue!

(Tim Rogers)
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    So nothing at all for Digital Members in 2018?  Not impressed Ten Club.   :|
  • It's not Christmas yet lol.
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
    It's not Christmas yet lol.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • E.K said:

We're still missing 2017.

In recent years, the eligibility deadline has been the last day of the year. Don't even begin to expect any news on the 2018 until May or June of 2019.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    E.K said:

We're still missing 2017.

In recent years, the eligibility deadline has been the last day of the year. Don't even begin to expect any news on the 2018 until May or June of 2019.
    And I foolishly renewed my Digital Membership today for another year.  After that I think I'm done.