Whiskey Clique

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Dan, there is room for both.  I'm happy to eat steak - but I can't do the brown.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Dan, there is room for both.  I'm happy to eat steak - but I can't do the brown.  

Fuck off!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Maker's Mark & Jameson are always good ol' standbys.
    Green Spot
    Yellow Spot
    Buffalo Trace
    The original Black Maple HIll
    Woodford Reserve Double Oak
    Powers Signature Release

• Question to those that like ice/chilled bourbon:

Why?  I would think that when it is warm or room temperature the flavors should be more prevalent like a cognac?

I find bourbons and cognacs to be better at room temp.

Anybody else?
    Question to those that like ice/chilled bourbon:

Why?  I would think that when it is warm or room temperature the flavors should be more prevalent like a cognac?

Anybody else?
    I asked my friend who will only drink his Makers on the rocks, and he said that he just can't stand drinking anything that's not ice cold. So he never got so much as a sip of my Pappy since we were both stubborn about our ways. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Do none of you people enjoy good ole fashion jack Daniels? 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    I can personally go either way with it.  Sometimes I'll do on the rocks, others not.  Just depends on how I'm feeling at the time.  Now something high end I would certainly only drink neat.  But two fingers of Makers or Jameson on the rocks, no biggie. Usually I'll do rocks if I'm out and about and going to be holding the glass a while.  That way the ice balances out the heart from my hand and doesn't warm the sweet nectar too much.
    I know for some folks, they like to add ice so that, as it melts, it cuts the whiskey with a bit of water.  I say if you do that, just drink cheaper, less potent whiskey.  But to each their own.
    Do none of you people enjoy good ole fashion jack Daniels? 
    I enjoy JD very much. Perhaps too much. That's my go-to for any club shows that I think might call for any use of physical force.

It's on my list.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Not a big Jack fan, but Jim is fine by me.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Question to those that like ice/chilled bourbon:

Anybody else?
    I can drink it room temperature and it's fine. I don't like it diluted with ice or water, but when chilled I get more of the vanilla flavor from the barrels.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

Eagle Rare, Blanton's, Jameson (Black Barrel, Caskmates, Original), Buffalo Trace. Those are what I usually always have on hand. I can drink it neat or on the rocks.

Finally got to try Pappy 23 for the first time when I was in NYC earlier this year, had it neat of course, as I do with anything high end that I'm trying for the first time.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Do none of you people enjoy good ole fashion jack Daniels? 
    That was what I cut my teeth on back in high school and early college. The last time I drank it was a night I'll never forget. For some reason that memory has kept me away from straight JD, but it was an instant hit for me over 20 years ago. Nothing like going to Germany at 17 and being able to purchase a nice bottle of JD :smiley: That was a rough flight back to the states.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    I am going to the US for the first time in over 20 years in March, so this time around I am allowed t drink :-) . What are nice bourbons to start with? I am an absolute novice but would love to find out, if I like it. 
  • I am going to the US for the first time in over 20 years in March, so this time around I am allowed t drink :-) . What are nice bourbons to start with? I am an absolute novice but would love to find out, if I like it. 
    If you are in the city and near midtown you will find nice restaurants or bars that will have good high end bourbons.  

Where abouts are you going?  A few of us can steer you in the right direction.

Guys, bourbons to try?

Buffalo Trace, Blantons, Pappy, 4 Roses.
    edited December 2017
    I am going to the US for the first time in over 20 years in March, so this time around I am allowed t drink :-) . What are nice bourbons to start with? I am an absolute novice but would love to find out, if I like it. 
    If you are in the city and near midtown you will find nice restaurants or bars that will have good high end bourbons.  

Guys, bourbons to try?

Yeah, I'd say that depending on where @Miss.Snowdrop is going to be, just seek out a bar/restaurant with a nice selection of bourbons and let the bartender/waitstaff be her guide. Some places may even have flights. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I am gonna sound very pedestrian here BUTTTT
    I love Maker's Mark
    and Fireball--
    and yeah... Seagram's Seven -- Miss the days drinking that with my mom.

CHEERS and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE OF YA YAHOOS
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Not a damn thing wrong with Makers.
    Makers used to release a Mint Julep liqueur right around the time of the Kentucky Derby, but I haven't seen it in years.  I'd love to get my hands on some but does anyone know if they still make it?
    Makers and/or Knob are essentials for a long camping trip. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I don't know if Maker's still does the Mint Julep liqueur either. I still have 1/2 a bottle of it from a few years ago, but haven't seen any recently. 
    My go-to's are Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, and Woodford's Reserve. But I love pretty much all bourbon. I have Blanton's, Basil Hayden, Booker's, Jim Beam Black, and just cracked a bottle of a local bourbon called Woodinville Whiskey which is quite tasty. I also have about 1/3 of a bottle of Pappy's 20yr that I'm slowly finishing up.

Not a Scotch drinker, though. As William Weld said "Scotch going down tastes like bourbon coming up." 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    dankind said:

Guys, bourbons to try?

Yeah, I'd say that depending on where @Miss.Snowdrop is going to be, just seek out a bar/restaurant with a nice selection of bourbons and let the bartender/waitstaff be her guide. Some places may even have flights. 
    I'll be in New Orleans. I heard that's not a bad place for bourbon  ;)
    What's the difference between this mint julep liqueur and just making delicious mint juleps?

• LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    jeffbr said:

Not a Scotch drinker, though. As William Weld said "Scotch going down tastes like bourbon coming up." 
    haha
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    edited December 2017
    Is there a more dangerous drink that mint juleps?  You drink one and about a dozen later you have your shirt off trying to fist fight your brother in law
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    What's the difference between this mint julep liqueur and just making delicious mint juleps?

Nothing, really. Already pre-mixed and sweetened, so just pour over ice. I prefer making them myself.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Makers used to release a Mint Julep liqueur right around the time of the Kentucky Derby, but I haven't seen it in years.  I'd love to get my hands on some but does anyone know if they still make it?
    They do still make it. Use the following to find it in your area.

https://www.makersmark.com/find
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is there a more dangerous drink that mint juleps?  You drink one and about a dozen later you have your shirt off trying to fist fight your brother in law
    Sounds like a decent Tuesday.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

The liqueur is basically a ready made drink. Just add crushed ice.
    They do still make it. Use the following to find it in your area.

https://www.makersmark.com/find
    Thanks! I'll have to be on the lookout for it, or ask one of my stores to get it in stock.  The map is unfortunately useless where I Iive, no hits within 100 miles. I kind of expected that though, we're never on anyone's stock finders.