Greenbacks

gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
I have been playing cabs with celestion vintage 30 speakers for probably about 17 years now. Was thinking about changing up my sound a bit. I could buy a bunch of pedals. I could put new pickups in my guitars. I have done all of that at some point over the years. Only thing I have never done is tried different cabinets. I am thinking about getting a late 70s Marshal cab with green backs. I have tried a few out at shops but never with my specific amp. I am currently running a 1974 Marshall JMP that is super bright. I attenuate it down to -12 db and then it gets pretty dark. I compensate for the darkness by turning on the Bright switch on my hotplate, which makes the amp brighter than I want. 

Anybody have experience with greenbacks? Love em? Hate em? I know my amp was designed to go with greenbacks. I have a Matchless that at one time had a matching cab with greenbacks, but the guy that sold me the amp kept that cab.

Just wanted to see if anybody has any insight.
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I always liked Greenbacks. They seem to break up easier than Vintage 30s if you're into speaker cone distortion.

Good speaker, especially for that driven Marshall tone. They wouldn't be my choice if most of my playing was clean, but I wouldn't play Marshalls in the first place if that were the case.

Nice idea seeking different tone through speakers too. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    dudeman said:
    I always liked Greenbacks. They seem to break up easier than Vintage 30s if you're into speaker cone distortion.

Good speaker, especially for that driven Marshall tone. They wouldn't be my choice if most of my playing was clean, but I wouldn't play Marshalls in the first place if that were the case.

Nice idea seeking different tone through speakers too. 
    in my experience of talking with people and watching youtube comparisons, people say pretty much the same thing. i hear they clean up okay with a strat. i play mostly humbuckers. always dug that social d tone with p90s and old marshalls and greenbacks. another guy i jam with has a greenback cab and we both agreed that my amp sounds better with my v30 cab than with his greenbacks. his cab is only a few years old though. i am thinking with speakers broken in from the 70s it may be different.

i agree though. if i were playing mostly clean i would just play a fender amp. my matchless is based on old fender circuit, so that would clean up well. never played the matchless through the other guy's cab though. 

i have tinkered with everything other than speakers, so i figure it might be a good time to at least try it out.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Check out Scumback’s.

Going from one type of speaker to another is darn near equivalent to switching amps. The effect is that big imo.
    DewieCox said:
    Check out Scumback’s.

Going from one type of speaker to another is darn near equivalent to switching amps. The effect is that big imo.
    i have heard of them but no stores around here have cabs with them. 

going to check out a cab from the late 70s with greenbacks here in the next several days.

it is amazing the differences between vintage 30s and greenbacks on youtube videos.

well, finally pulled the trigger on a greenback cab on saturday. it is a 1978 marshall cab with 25 watt blackbacks. same speakers as the greenbacks, but back then sometimes they came in black because the green material was hard to come by at times. this cab fucking kicks. it is the best sounding cab i have ever owned. It is very punchy, and cleans up amazingly well with just guitar volume. i highly recommend trying one of these cabs if you are looking into changing speakers. the guy wanted $1000 for it, but since it has been regrilled at some point with a new marshall logo he gave it to me for $750. There are a lot of tears in the tolex, mainly on the back, but it looks like it has been well loved and well played. pics to follow later today, for those interested in that kind of thing.

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Absolutely beautiful! Glad it worked out for you. Congrats!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    Absolutely beautiful! Glad it worked out for you. Congrats!
    thanks man! can't wait to gig with this rig.

• pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Love how the Matchless is just thrown in there... ;)
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
    pulling69 said:
    Love how the Matchless is just thrown in there... ;)
    that's my backup. i play that one when we play shows that require a master volume, like weddings and some corporate functions. bars and rehearsals get the marshall, lol.

• Yea Greenbacks always had descent punch.  Great pick up.  I've always preferred warn in cabs to new.... 
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/