The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    As a Colorado  resident I can tell you  that the quality is amazing and getting better all the time.
    As for corporate involvement  there is very little due to the obvious federal government restrictions. 
    There are lots of health/medical options available here with many not having any THC. So you should have plenty of options for your pain needs.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    eddiec said:
    brianlux said:
    I thought I'd ask this here rather than on the "I'm stoned out of my gourd RIGHT NOW!" thread or instead of creating a new one. 

My question here is mostly directed toward those who are in the know about marijuana quality in states where it is legal medically and/or for recreational use.  My curiosity was piqued by a guy I ran into who said when the California dispensaries open for recreational marijuana in January, that which will be available will be, as he put it, "like Bud Lite" and "Monsanto pot", and "over-controlled"... i.e., not great quality non-organic.  He also railed against vape pens, saying they are unhealthy to use because of what they use to atomizes the cannabis oils.  (I'm hoping vaping is actually healthier/easier on the throat than the harshness of smoking.)

My interest in the herb will be mostly for health reasons related to arthritis, muscle and worn out joints that ache and pain resulting in wear and tear and age, anxiety, but also include the healthy benefits of relaxing and feeling good... of course!

Are the concerns of quality I've mentioned here minor, moderate or of major concern?  How can one tell or find out about this kind of thing? 
    I went to a dispensary in Colorado last year. There were many different strains available in both Indica and Sativa. They had loads of options for whether you were looking to use it for medicinal or recreational purposes. I talked with several different people about the industry when I was there. So far, there is no 'Budweiser' of growers. Most of them are small, independent growers and many of them do grow organically. I'm sure you could ask in the dispensary for organic grown. 

To quell any concerns, you could always visit a grower and talk to them directly.
    Thanks, eddiec, I hope we get the same kind of choices here. rgambs said:
    What are the rules for growing your own?
    It's a fun little hobby, gardening is the best!
    Good question but our weather extremes here make that iffy.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

As a Colorado  resident I can tell you  that the quality is amazing and getting better all the time.
    As for corporate involvement  there is very little due to the obvious federal government restrictions. 
    There are lots of health/medical options available here with many not having any THC. So you should have plenty of options for your pain needs.
    Sounds good!  Hopefully the same will be true here in CA! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    brianlux said:
    Here in OR, both retailers and growers want to be ligit and also maintain a good reputation with the public. Good retailers are invested in being connected with the growers and tracking the weed from beginning to end as far as how it’s grown and what, and what doesn’t, go into it.  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    brianlux said:
    I thought I'd ask this here rather than on the "I'm stoned out of my gourd RIGHT NOW!" thread or instead of creating a new one. 

My question here is mostly directed toward those who are in the know about marijuana quality in states where it is legal medically and/or for recreational use.  My curiosity was piqued by a guy I ran into who said when the California dispensaries open for recreational marijuana in January, that which will be available will be, as he put it, "like Bud Lite" and "Monsanto pot", and "over-controlled"... i.e., not great quality non-organic.  He also railed against vape pens, saying they are unhealthy to use because of what they use to atomizes the cannabis oils.  (I'm hoping vaping is actually healthier/easier on the throat than the harshness of smoking.)

My interest in the herb will be mostly for health reasons related to arthritis, muscle and worn out joints that ache and pain resulting in wear and tear and age, anxiety, but also include the healthy benefits of relaxing and feeling good... of course!

Are the concerns of quality I've mentioned here minor, moderate or of major concern?  How can one tell or find out about this kind of thing? 
    I went to a dispensary in Colorado last year. There were many different strains available in both Indica and Sativa. They had loads of options for whether you were looking to use it for medicinal or recreational purposes. I talked with several different people about the industry when I was there. So far, there is no 'Budweiser' of growers. Most of them are small, independent growers and many of them do grow organically. I'm sure you could ask in the dispensary for organic grown. 

To quell any concerns, you could always visit a grower and talk to them directly.
    You could power a small grow with a solar panel or a homemade wind turbine!  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    brianlux said:
    Here in OR, both retailers and growers want to be ligit and also maintain a good reputation with the public. Good retailers are invested in being connected with the growers and tracking the weed from beginning to end as far as how it’s grown and what, and what doesn’t, go into it.  
    I hope they do it the same here!

rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    eddiec said:
    brianlux said:

You could power a small grow with a solar panel or a homemade wind turbine!  
    Maybe some day when I "retire" from work, LOL!

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Ah never mind 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For me, my considerations of quality are non-existent, based on my experiences with my long-time dispensary.

Try buying a recommended strain and research the grower...?

Also, there are SO many recipes for edibles out there, enabling you to control dosage and means of ingestion.

Me, very happy that the times, they are a-changing.
    Me too!  Just hoping they do it right.

But then, after all, this is California so I'm guessing quality choices will be an option.  I think they guy I spoke with was a bit reactionary, maybe a bit paranoid.  

Here's a link to several videos from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission that regulates Oregon weed, talking about quality control, etc. The combination of the stiffness of a government video combined with the fact that weed is mostly about getting baked and having a good time is an amusing juxtaposition:
    http://golegaloregon.com/meet-the-licensees/

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    So I hear California has legalised recreational use and that it is legal in Canada.
    Why is Australia always lagging the rest of the world?
    It took us years to legalise same-sex marriage.
    We still have poor internet.
    Saw a debate on TV this morning about the push to legalise it here.
    Pros and cons were discussed.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    So I hear California has legalised recreational use and that it is legal in Canada.
    You don't have a President Trump do you?

Yeah, nah. Don't wanna hear it lol

Have you heard of Ozzy Man Reviews?
    Dude cracks me up.

I hope it becomes more widely legal.  Only makes sense to do so. 

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    You'll always have AC⚡DC
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    You'll always have AC⚡DC
    Not a fan of them.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    rgambs said:
    You don't have a President Trump do you?

Yeah, nah. Don't wanna hear it lol

Have you heard of Ozzy Man Reviews?
    Dude cracks me up.

Never heard of that dude. Who is he?
    edited January 2018
    Post edited by rgambs on
    edited January 2018
    Foul language alert

https://youtu.be/4I39dmsWKpw
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Lol not bad.
    He cracks me up.
    "Yeah, nah, yeah"
    "It's a classic nah fuck you nah fuck you deadlock"
    It's fair dinkum, at the least.
  • guess i am heading back to california this year. it will be nice to return and being able to buy it so easily!!
    also i have heard that vegas is also a recreational 420 destination. i've heard of rec cannabis shops are all over the strip. anyone confirm?

It's all over the news here this morning (plus DUI ads).

For me, having a medical prescription for the next year or so, the only changes should be packaging and additional taxes.  I figure other shit and details should be figured out over the coming months.

This is such a win/win!
    Just curious, how long does it take for cannabis to leave your system so that you do not violate DUI laws?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    It's not legal in Canada yet, but will be in the middle of this year. All you really need for this to happen in Australia is a PM with the will to do it and a population who votes for him largely on that platform. Justin Trudeau promised to legalize when he ran, and it was one of the biggest election issues that helped him win.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Just curious, how long does it take for cannabis to leave your system so that you do not violate DUI laws?
    I believe it depends on factors similar to those of alcohol - when ingested, quantity, weight (or fat content), etc.

Guessing it hasn't left my system since the early 80s :rofl:

We've invested in a company developing "breathalyzers" for just this purpose.  Again, win/win!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    The usual recommendation is that you shouldn't drive within 4 hours of smoking up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I don’t think there’s an on the street test cops can give like a breathalyzer. I think in Washington they’re trying to develop one. Cops now assess impairment, but I don’t know how well it would hold up in court. 
    I don’t think there’s an on the street test cops can give like a breathalyzer. I think in Washington they’re trying to develop one. Cops now assess impairment, but I don’t know how well it would hold up in court. 
    Generally speaking, driving 15 MPH in a 45 MPH zone is often a clear giveaway.

brianlux said:
    Generally speaking, driving 15 MPH in a 45 MPH zone is often a clear giveaway.
    And a burrito in the left hand and a Hostess Snowball in the right.