Is technology taking over our lives?!?

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited November 2017
    I pass on Google services, would never touch an Apple product, use DuckDuckGo, only use Linux on laptops and PCs, use a VPN and browse with Firefox etc.

It's near impossible to be free of tracking I know, I just take small steps to help.  And I am no worse off not using Google and Apple and microsoft etc.

wouldn't touch Chrome or Safari or whatever MS has now with a 10 foot pole.

It's just some mitigation, I do have a gmail for a Youtube account so there is one Google service.  :(  There's other stuff too like here and FB.  dangit

But yes, we are too reliant on technology and it is invading our lives.  Not to mention NSA, CIA and other governments

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • I resist tech. Its all too much for me. I have only a phone. No p.c or device . Its mind blowing
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I resist tech. Its all too much for me. I have only a phone. No p.c or device . Its mind blowing
    Now days a phone is almost everything.  I hear you can even get one with a little built in printer. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Its confusing enough as it is :s
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Yes.

***This post was made by a X5-Model Robot Type II***
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Its confusing enough as it is :s
    I hear ya!  

Technology is a pain in the butt for me.  My brain doesn't like/ is lazy when it comes to having to rev it up a bit more than usual on the left side.  I can do it, even well sometimes, but it often feels somewhere between taxing and vexing.  Yet, when I need to learn something on a computer or phone or printer, etc., once I get it down, it's glued.  But the glue can take a long time to set and sometimes it just doesn't hold at all! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Ive no glue
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Ive no glue
    Just enough to be here at least, which is cool! 

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Just the fact that you guys can log into here says something!
    Just the fact that you guys can log into here says something!
    It was a long and winding road.  :lol:

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357

FCC Announces Plans To Repeal Net Neutrality

Trump’s FCC Chairman thinks Comcast should have even more control over your internet than it already does.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Trump’s FCC Chairman thinks Comcast should have even more control over your internet than it already does.

This is where things get scary.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    edited November 2017
    I am the internet  equivalent of the abacus 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

PJ_Soul said:

Sad to say, this should come as no surprise to any of us.  People have the ability to make choices but as a whole, the masses often chose to ignore that which is a poor choice (similar to what I just wrote in the Manson thread).

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sad to say, this should come as no surprise to any of us.  People have the ability to make choices but as a whole, the masses often chose to ignore that which is a poor choice (similar to what I just wrote in the Manson thread).
    It's not a surprise at all - the writing has been on the wall since before the election. Trump is a totalitarian. Nothing about this is surprising.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Also can i add live chat is a scurge
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Technology has brought us many wonderful things (Ten club forum, for example!!) but I think it goes without saying there are aspects of technology that are absolutely FUBAR!  For example, I spent an hour and a half on the phone with my long distance carrier and my local phone service to get the two to interface properly.  My father died two weeks ago and this was a really shitty time to not be able to call my sister so I went to great lengths to get this mess-- which was none of my doing--  straightened out.   Sure, back when I was a kid it was just one phone in the house, one phone company and that was it.  But when you NEEDED to make a call, you picked up the phone, you dialed, you talked.  No problem.  Todays phone technology is much worse in terms of having to deal with issues- both on land lines, cell phones, iPhones, you name it.  I could name several other instances where I spent (wasted) a lot of time getting my phone service to work properly. 

For several years I have held to the belief that our technology is too complex for us to manage properly.  It's as though we have constructed something we have great difficulty keep from falling down or sinking.  We are more stupid than our technology.

I have to admit... I hear these stories sometimes Brian... But I have never had such experiences myself. I have never once felt like technology has inconvenienced me. An hour and half trying to get your local phone service and long distance carrier to interface?? I don't even understand why that would be necessary. Just have one phone with one company, and that should do it, no? That's the case with me and everyone I know.

I have also never had any issues with my cell phones or anything... I feel like there has been little change in terms of ease of use when it comes to old vs new phones. I'm just happy I have a pocket sized computer now. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that such a thing as smartphones would exist. I used to fantasize about what kinds of cool things would come along in my lifetime, as many of us did, and I had a lot of far-fetched ideas about it, and yet I seriously never conceived that smartphones or anything like them would be possible during my lifetime. It's absolutely amazing to me.
    edited November 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have to admit... I hear these stories sometimes Brian... But I have never had such experiences myself. I have never once felt like technology has inconvenienced me. An hour and half trying to get your local phone service and long distance carrier to interface?? I don't even understand why that would be necessary. Just have one phone with one company, and that should do it, no? That's the case with me and everyone I know.

I have also never had any issues with my cell phones or anything... I feel like there has been little change in terms of ease of use when it comes to old vs new phones. I'm just happy I have a pocket sized computer now. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that such a thing as smartphones would exist. I used to fantasize about what kinds of cool things would come along in my lifetime, as many of us did, and I had a lot of far-fetched ideas about it, and yet I seriously never conceived that smartphones or anything like them would be possible during my lifetime. It's absolutely amazing to me.
    Move to the U.S. for a while.  You'll see what I mean.  :lol:

• So I wanted to come back to this thread as FB has come up with a new in home device called "Aloha".  

With all the breaches in security they have had these last couple of years are you really trusting of this device, with a camera, in your home?

Also on the topic of security, the DNA ancestry registry where you take a swab in your mouth and send it in to get tested on your ethnic background.  I just saw a story where a  persons DNA was used to solve a crime.

So when you volunteer your DNA it is put in a database where it can be used for law enforcement use.

Now I don't plan on committing any crimes anytime soon, but this is some next level big brother stuff to me.

This all ties into technology and it taking over.

Thoughts?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So I wanted to come back to this thread as FB has come up with a new in home device called "Aloha".  

With all the breaches in security they have had these last couple of years are you really trusting of this device, with a camera, in your home?

Also on the topic of security, the DNA ancestry registry where you take a swab in your mouth and send it in to get tested on your ethnic background.  I just saw a story where a  persons DNA was used to solve a crime.

So when you volunteer your DNA it is put in a database where it can be used for law enforcement use.

Now I don't plan on committing any crimes anytime soon, but this is some next level big brother stuff to me.

Thoughts?

Similar to yours. There's no way I'm putting an Alexa or Echo or any of those things in my house, given what I've read about their data collection. I don't see that any of the touted benefits would actually be a benefit to me, compared to the drawbacks. I recently read an article where a company of "ethical hackers" is in business to try to breach home security, for a fee, to show people where their vulnerabilities are. The article profiled a family where the couple considered themselves tech and security savvy - the hackers got into their house not only digitally, via their cameras, but physically, by reprogramming the digital lock on their door after hacking into their security system. It all took less than a couple of hours. No thanks.

I've also always been wary about the home DNA stuff, given what I've read speculated about the potential for insurance companies and such to get their hands on the data in the future. 

Coincidentally, I just upgraded my virus software last night and bought the package with a VPN, for greater security online. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So I wanted to come back to this thread as FB has come up with a new in home device called "Aloha".  

Thoughts?

Similar to yours. There's no way I'm putting an Alexa or Echo or any of those things in my house, given what I've read about their data collection. I don't see that any of the touted benefits would actually be a benefit to me, compared to the drawbacks. I recently read an article where a company of "ethical hackers" is in business to try to breach home security, for a fee, to show people where their vulnerabilities are. The article profiled a family where the couple considered themselves tech and security savvy - the hackers got into their house not only digitally, via their cameras, but physically, by reprogramming the digital lock on their door after hacking into their security system. It all took less than a couple of hours. No thanks.

I've also always been wary about the home DNA stuff, given what I've read speculated about the potential for insurance companies and such to get their hands on the data in the future. 

Coincidentally, I just upgraded my virus software last night and bought the package with a VPN, for greater security online. 
    Don't worry...all your neighbors have those devices and they are watching you as well.  You won't e saved.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Well, they're not watching me inside my home, at least. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Thoughts?
    My thought is....

It's too late.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2018

Thoughts?

Good call, everyone should be using a VPN at this point in time.  There are some cheap options out there for mobile devices too.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Well, they're not watching me inside my home, at least. 
    Sure they aren't ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • So I wanted to come back to this thread as FB has come up with a new in home device called "Aloha".  

Thoughts?

I do know that my phone listens to me, that is blatantly evident considering the ads that I see on things.

Also I have thought of going digital with my security for my place and heat and lights and all of that but have thought against it.  Now am I getting older and not "progressing"?  Am I a worry wart?  Am I not trusting?

As for the DNA testing, I agree that it could be used for insurance companies advantage.
  • PJPOWER said:

Thoughts?

Good call, everyone should be using a VPN at this point in time.  There are some cheap options out there for mobile devices too.
    Who are you using for your VPN?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Technology has not made life easier.  Went to book an appointment for car maintenance at a dealership.  10 minutes later the lady is still pecking at the computer imputing a data ... fuck that, I now go to a small garage where he just jots down my name and issue in under 10 seconds.
    Give Peas A Chance…