Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mwplum said:
    Got into Vinyl about 6 years ago (I'm 36 so tapes were all the rage when I was a kid, never really got a chance to listen to record growing up). Put together a very basic set up of an Audio Technica LP60 TT, Denon 1613 reciever, and decent bookshelves - PSB Image 4's. Enjoyed that system over the past 6 years while I amassed a decent collection of LPs. 

However, I decided to finally put some money into a decent TT this week, and wow, it feels like I've finally unlocked something that I was missing out on. Still have the same speakers, but got a Rega Planar 3 and a Rega Brio integrated amp, and man does it ever sound incredible!!! Just wanted to share in case there other's like me who are thinking about upgrading. I am so excited I feel like a little kid again.

PSB's...nice choice.  You don't see many people with them but they are good speakers.  
    When I first bought a TT, I got a LP120.  I bought a few records (good ones.. Massey Hall, Remember Two Things, etc.), hooked it all up and was completely underwhelmed.  It lost to my FLAC streaming test for ever record.  I returned the TT and didn't consider it again until 2 years later when I decided to give it another go with a Pro-Ject... World of difference... now streaming comes nowhere close to a good record.  
  • May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    i bought a white rega P3 a year ago and love it.  Just got a new Cambridge Audio preamp and that $200 purchase has made a huge difference.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    I just put a deposit on a pair of the new B&W 704s today. Decided that the PSBs have been great, but that it would be fun to get some towers for the first time in my life. Anyone have experience with Bowers & Wilkins? The shop I've been going to gave me a really good price on them and these new ones have adopted some of the specs of their much more expensive 800 series, so I'm hoping they'll go well with the new TT and integrated amp. Man this audio racket is addicting...I started out looking for a TT for $500 or less, and now I'll have a whole new system.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • mwplum said:
    I just put a deposit on a pair of the new B&W 704s today. Decided that the PSBs have been great, but that it would be fun to get some towers for the first time in my life. Anyone have experience with Bowers & Wilkins? The shop I've been going to gave me a really good price on them and these new ones have adopted some of the specs of their much more expensive 800 series, so I'm hoping they'll go well with the new TT and integrated amp. Man this audio racket is addicting...I started out looking for a TT for $500 or less, and now I'll have a whole new system.
    One piece at a time!!!  Johnny Cash did it and so can we!
    mwplum said:
    I love B&Ws.  I have a pair of 683 towers and some older bookshelves too.  They are great.  Very detailed, create tremendous sound stages and imaging.  If you ever look at pictures inside a recording studio, you'll always see the trademark Nautilus tweeters around.  Definitely a reason for that.  I will say that I had a pair in the past that gave me listening fatigue.  It was a little bright.  They were demos but in hindsight, I'm guessing they weren't fully broken in.  I think you'll need a good 50 hours on them.  But there's nothing like a tower speaker in my mind.  There are great bookshelves out there, but that full range is so good.  Enjoy!  
    Awesome, thanks! Nice to hear from someone who has them! I was reading about the 683's and the reviews were fantastic! I'm learning that this is so personal, like I've spent hours reading about individual components just because it's fun to learn about something that relates to my greatest passion (music), yet I really still know very little about. In my limited humble experience, it seems like it is so subjective (ie. one person says I love the Elys 2 cart, next person says I hated it) but that's kind of the part of the fun isn't it? That as individuals we absorb and process music so differently. It's making me feel more tolerant towards rap and sugar-pop top 40 fans as they must hear something that I don't, jk (sort of). 

I should add in response to what tempo said that I'm not mortgaging the house to do this....I quit drinking last year and have been able to save a bundle of money in doing so...also we had our first child so I'm at home a lot more...so it's a fun way of expanding what we have at home, and hopefully can share as a family for many years to come. 
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    The great thing about buying quality speakers like a B&W, PSB, whatever, is that they will last you forever.  You aren't buying something that will be outdated technology in 3 years, or that is so technology advanced, it will likely break down with age.  Speakers and amps (not AVR's) are pretty damn basic.  And the more basic they are, the better they are.  So you will be enjoying these speakers for 30 years easy, if that's what you want to do.  
    And Tempo is also right that it's an investment over time.  One piece here and there, as long as you've got a pretty good long term plan where you want to be.  It took me about ten years to get together my entire system and I love it now.  The only thing I might do is look to a McIntosh in the future...  I would love to own one of their amps.  But the reality is it may not sound any better than what I have now.  But it will damn sure look awesome!  
    Picked up the B&W 704 s2's last night and set them up with the Rega Planar 3 and Rega Brio Amp. I can't even express in words how incredible it sounds...I'm hearing things in No Code and Vitalogy that I've never heard before. Can't wait for the Binaural, Riot Act, and ST (Remaster), re-releases!!!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    mwplum said:
    Picked up the B&W 704 s2's last night and set them up with the Rega Planar 3 and Rega Brio Amp. I can't even express in words how incredible it sounds...I'm hearing things in No Code and Vitalogy that I've never heard before. Can't wait for the Binaural, Riot Act, and ST (Remaster), re-releases!!!
    Wait until they break in and mellow out!  
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    edited November 2017

The bedroom system...
    Post edited by mdgsolo on
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    mdgsolo said:

The bedroom system...
    Sick!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Nice turntable. Don't see too many of those. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mdgsolo said:

The bedroom system...
    What series are the B&W and how do you like them?  I'm looking to pick up some bookshelves from them in the near future.  

And Mcintosh makes the best looking gear.  I know in some ways there aren't huge distinctions in solid state amp sounds, but Jesus they looks so beautiful.
    edited November 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    mdgsolo said:

The bedroom system...
    What series are the B&W and how do you like them?  I'm looking to pick up some bookshelves from them in the near future.  

And Mcintosh makes the best looking gear.  I know in some ways there aren't huge distinctions in solid state amp sounds, but Jesus they looks so beautiful.
    They are 805 Diamonds, the last year before they went to grey cloth on the main drivers (I don't like the grey as much personally as an aesthetic, though I'm sure there was a sonic reason to change it.  I think they sound amazing.  They are also powered by 450 amps a piece through an MC452 (I'll post a picture later) which pound for pound is my favorite sounding muscle car of an amp ever.  I have a pair of  MC601 mono blocks in my main listening area and though they are a little more detailed, the MC452 is an amazing piece of gear. And, if you don't mind me further geeking out here, I did replace the cartridge on the turntable with an ebony Maestro V2 MM that I had previously on a Clear Audio Concept (fantastic piece of gear too!) but I have to say, I may end up switching it back to the Sumiko Blue Point 2 that came with the turntable (an MC cartridge) as I feel like it had a more detailed- but revealing- sound signature.  I love sound.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Someday when I get the money together...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mdgsolo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mdgsolo said:

The bedroom system...

They are 805 Diamonds, the last year before they went to grey cloth on the main drivers (I don't like the grey as much personally as an aesthetic, though I'm sure there was a sonic reason to change it.  I think they sound amazing.  They are also powered by 450 amps a piece through an MC452 (I'll post a picture later) which pound for pound is my favorite sounding muscle car of an amp ever.  I have a pair of  MC601 mono blocks in my main listening area and though they are a little more detailed, the MC452 is an amazing piece of gear. And, if you don't mind me further geeking out here, I did replace the cartridge on the turntable with an ebony Maestro V2 MM that I had previously on a Clear Audio Concept (fantastic piece of gear too!) but I have to say, I may end up switching it back to the Sumiko Blue Point 2 that came with the turntable (an MC cartridge) as I feel like it had a more detailed- but revealing- sound signature.  I love sound.
    You are powering those bookshelves with an MC452??  Holy crap that is a lot of power.  
    That is some serious audiophile equipment, starting with those diamonds.. congrats.

From the town of Bedrock...
    Beautiful!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    mdgsolo said:

Nice!!

the grateful dead used McIntosh amps. those babies are a workhorse.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Turntable Lab has the Denon DP-300F w/ Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge Upgrade for $269. Thinking about upgrading from my Audio Technica LP120. Any feedback on this table/cartridge combo?
    bflynn1 said:
    Turntable Lab has the Denon DP-300F w/ Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge Upgrade for $269. Thinking about upgrading from my Audio Technica LP120. Any feedback on this table/cartridge combo?
    I don't know much about the Denon, but the red is a nice universal cartridge. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mdgsolo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mdgsolo said:

The bedroom system...

You are powering those bookshelves with an MC452??  Holy crap that is a lot of power.  
    That is some serious audiophile equipment, starting with those diamonds.. congrats.
    Those speakers are something else, wow!!!
    bflynn1 said:
    Turntable Lab has the Denon DP-300F w/ Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge Upgrade for$269. Thinking about upgrading from my Audio Technica LP120. Any feedback on this table/cartridge combo?
    That Denon is a nice, automatic turntable,  especially for that price. 

Depending on the cartridge you have on your AT, I wouldn't expect a huge improvement over what you have now. The two you mentioned in your post are in a similar ballpark. They will probably sound different,  but "better" is in the ear of the beholder in this case. 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    dudeman said:
    bflynn1 said:
    Turntable Lab has the Denon DP-300F w/ Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge Upgrade for$269. Thinking about upgrading from my Audio Technica LP120. Any feedback on this table/cartridge combo?
    That Denon is a nice, automatic turntable,  especially for that price. 

Depending on the cartridge you have on your AT, I wouldn't expect a huge improvement over what you have now. The two you mentioned in your post are in a similar ballpark. They will probably sound different,  but "better" is in the ear of the beholder in this case. 
    Thank you. That's all I really needed. I'll keep the $$$ in my pocket and save for a true upgrade. My main system is in my living room. When I do upgrade I'd like to put the LP120 in the spare bedroom. 
    Once I get around to running over my Pro-reJect Carbon Debut a few time with my car I'll post pics.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Once I get around to running over my Pro-reJect Carbon Debut a few time with my car I'll post pics.  
    Why would you do that?  What happened to it?
  • mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    It says "re-ject" so I can only assume it's a defective one?

@brianlux ?
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    mdgsolo said:

you got the $$$
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

@brianlux ?
    I was a big ProJect fan at first but then problems started to develop.  I suppose their higher end stuff might be better, but I'm not sure.  I feel badly because I had previously given the Debut Carbon good ratings here and elsewhere.  I can't do that any more.  When I get the time and money to upgrade, I'll review whatever comes next! 

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

@brianlux ?
    I was a big ProJect fan at first but then problems started to develop.  I suppose their higher end stuff might be better, but I'm not sure.  I feel badly because I had previously given the Debut Carbon good ratings here and elsewhere.  I can't do that any more.  When I get the time and money to upgrade, I'll review whatever comes next! 
    It's such a simple machine, I'm surprised you've had problems.  I've had mine for a few years now and have been really happy.  Maybe a Rega next?  They are in about the same price and quality category.