Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Wobbie said:
    REM > PJ
    :lol:   OH, you are a brave man around these parts!  I might agree but don't tell anyone.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:
    REM > PJ
    :lol:   OH, you are a brave man around these parts!  I might agree but don't tell anyone.

I agree as well, but only because I feel peer pressure from Brianlux to agree :D 

For a band that broke up they sure still do a lot of interviews (mostly about reissues).   It gives me hope that they still talk and get along but each interview I listen to they always slam the door on future shows and new music.  Oh well.  

I don't understand how they wouldn't want to play a few one off shows for fun each year.  Hopefully Pearl Jam doesn't get over their music and performing any time soon.
    Very interesting, cuz I came here to mention the NPR interview I heard yesterday I think which was Mike Mills and Michael Stipe talking about the reissue for Automatic for the People.  At the end the interviewer (who may have been Steve Inskeep, I can't remember) said "You all still get along so well, you have good relationships with each other, you seem to still feel strongly about the music... why not get together and record again or play again?"

And Mike Mills answered immediately and said "Because to keep all that true, we can't."  (Or maybe "We won't").  They laughed but yes, it was another shut down of the idea.  They also talked about how proud they are of the fact that they quit while they were in a good place and still very proud of their music and their performances.

I disagree though that it's because REM "got over the music and performing", Mills and Buck still make music and play quite a bit.  Not sure what Stipe is up to most of the time, although I bet he makes music, he just doesn't share it.  And we all know that my favorite member Bill Berry is a farmer mainly, and a dad, but I bet he makes music now and then too.  I think I read an article where his son plays some instruments, so maybe we'll get a great father-son act out of that LOL!  But I don't think they got over music and playing, they just decided to quit while they were ahead and not be pulled back for nostalgia.  And if they really want to jam, I'm sure they can and maybe they do, just not in front of an audience or recording equipment.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The Automatic deluxe set is tops on my holiday list this year!
    www.cluthelee.com
    I heard the interview but didn't hear what the set itself is comprised of.  What does it include?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    JH6056 said:
    For a band that broke up they sure still do a lot of interviews (mostly about reissues).   It gives me hope that they still talk and get along but each interview I listen to they always slam the door on future shows and new music.  Oh well.  

I don't understand how they wouldn't want to play a few one off shows for fun each year.  Hopefully Pearl Jam doesn't get over their music and performing any time soon.
    Very interesting, cuz I came here to mention the NPR interview I heard yesterday I think which was Mike Mills and Michael Stipe talking about the reissue for Automatic for the People.  At the end the interviewer (who may have been Steve Inskeep, I can't remember) said "You all still get along so well, you have good relationships with each other, you seem to still feel strongly about the music... why not get together and record again or play again?"

And Mike Mills answered immediately and said "Because to keep all that true, we can't."  (Or maybe "We won't").  They laughed but yes, it was another shut down of the idea.  They also talked about how proud they are of the fact that they quit while they were in a good place and still very proud of their music and their performances.

I disagree though that it's because REM "got over the music and performing", Mills and Buck still make music and play quite a bit.  Not sure what Stipe is up to most of the time, although I bet he makes music, he just doesn't share it.  And we all know that my favorite member Bill Berry is a farmer mainly, and a dad, but I bet he makes music now and then too.  I think I read an article where his son plays some instruments, so maybe we'll get a great father-son act out of that LOL!  But I don't think they got over music and playing, they just decided to quit while they were ahead and not be pulled back for nostalgia.  And if they really want to jam, I'm sure they can and maybe they do, just not in front of an audience or recording equipment.

I meant were over performing REM tunes.  It just seems strange.  What is the harm in playing a few shows together unless they really don't like it?  Perhaps they don't think it is right to play shows without making new music.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Same here!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    JH6056 said:

I meant were over performing REM tunes.  It just seems strange.  What is the harm in playing a few shows together unless they really don't like it?  Perhaps they don't think it is right to play shows without making new music.
    I think their point is bigger than that: I think they feel like they don't want to become a nostalgia act.  Think about how much money Coachella alone has probably offered them to reform.  But they feel like that chapter of their musical lives is over.  Still love making music (definitely half of them still love it), and seem to still be fond of each other and anxious to keep it that way.  I get it, even if it makes me sad.  Would LOVE to see them live again!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it must be maddening to be a fan and not understand why they broke up. how often do you hear of that in the music business? yes, we still like each other. yes, we're all still alive. yes, we still like making music. then why not reform? cuz we don't WANNA. :confused:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:
    REM > PJ

shhhhhhhhhh..... I agree.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    it must be maddening to be a fan and not understand why they broke up. how often do you hear of that in the music business? yes, we still like each other. yes, we're all still alive. yes, we still like making music. then why not reform? cuz we don't WANNA. :confused:
    It took a while to get over the split, especially because Collapse Into Now was a phenomenal album IMO. Collapse and New Adventures are my go to REM albums these days. If they'd finished after Reveal or Up then maybe people would have viewed it differently. They're both good albums, but they really went out on a high with Collapse.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited November 2017
    goldrush said:
    It took a while to get over the split, especially because Collapse Into Now was a phenomenal album IMO. Collapse and New Adventures are my go to REM albums these days. If they'd finished after Reveal or Up then maybe people would have viewed it differently. They're both good albums, but they really went out on a high with Collapse.
    I don't have Collapse, never have, but will definitely check it out now.  I am however so so SO grateful I made a point of seeing them live on that tour, actually the Atlanta show which was their "hometown show".  It was incredible.  I was pregnant, so I figure my daughter got some pretty good musical DNA that night...

That was 2008, and their last tour...
    Post edited by JH6056 on
    This is just a "fan guess", but I'm gonna guess that initially it was just 1 or 2 members that were adamant about this, maybe 1 or 2 ambivalent, and at least 1 determined to change everyone else's mind and get the band to record or tour again later.  But over time, they all came around to at least understanding this stance, and maybe even totally supporting it.

It is certainly a rarity in popular music or well-known bands.  And everyone likes being a rarity :)

Not sure though that it makes up for them still using Ticketmaster when PJ was boycotting them, and having incredibly expensive tix (it was Monster tour and other than the damn Eagles, 1st time I ever heard of $100 tix)
    JH6056 said:
    This is just a "fan guess", but I'm gonna guess that initially it was just 1 or 2 members that were adamant about this, maybe 1 or 2 ambivalent, and at least 1 determined to change everyone else's mind and get the band to record or tour again later.  But over time, they all came around to at least understanding this stance, and maybe even totally supporting it.

It is certainly a rarity in popular music or well-known bands.  And everyone likes being a rarity :)

Not sure though that it makes up for them still using Ticketmaster when PJ was boycotting them, and having incredibly expensive tix (it was Monster tour and other than the damn Eagles, 1st time I ever heard of $100 tix)
    I admired them for, the one time they came to Winnipeg, they played a much smaller venue than they were capable of selling. it was in 2004 for Around The Sun. they played a few thousand seat venue. the demand was ENORMOUS. I think the tickets were priced a bit higher than we'd expect, but I think they did that to keep it more intimate. I didn't go, as I wasn't a fan (still kind of "meh" on them), but a buddy of mine who is a massive fan was so bummed he couldn't get tickets. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited September 2019
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

i find myself listening to Let Me In on repeat. After I found out it was written about Kurt, that knowledge in itself gave it incredible context I couldn't forget. 

I think that would be a really cool song for Ed and Stone and Boom to start off the first encore. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    Still my all time favorite band. 
    Still my all time favorite band. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhvB5ZIcWj8
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy5HA-H8DMc

I really wish Andy Maize hadn't been included in this performance. kind of ruined it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I was lucky enough to see REM many times from 1983 through 2008.  They are one of my top live bands.  They often went deep into their catalog, which made each show very unique.  My favorite show was in 1999 at the Greek Theatre in L.A.  We were front row center, and Michael handed us the mic during "End of the World"....we got to sing the chorus!

So many great memories.

Because I got into them in high school, they mean more to me than PJ.
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I was lucky enough to see REM many times from 1983 through 2008.  They are one of my top live bands.  They often went deep into their catalog, which made each show very unique.  My favorite show was in 1999 at the Greek Theatre in L.A.  We were front row center, and Michael handed us the mic during "End of the World"....we got to sing the chorus!

So many great memories.

that's fantastic. I have tried many times to get into REM. the watchmen, one of my faves, are massive fans of them, so it would make sense for me to like them as well. 

mind you, PJ are also massive fans of Neil Young, and....well......
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• halvhalv Posts: 675
    JOEJOEJOE said:

So many great memories.

I got into them right around when Green was released and they are a regular on my turntable to this day. I was at the PJ show in Calgary when Ed announced REM spilt up. Great show but bummer news. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2021

and 

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    JOEJOEJOE said:

So many great memories.

Wow- fantastic!  I only got to see them once (Nov. '83) but what a show! 

Just the other day, I pulled out some of my copies of their 12" singles.  They sound so good!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

So many great memories.

Just the other day, I pulled out some of my copies of their 12" singles.  They sound so good!
    I started collecting their 12" singles around 10 years ago.  I think I have most of them......will have to catalog my collection one of "These Days".
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

So many great memories.

I started collecting their 12" singles around 10 years ago.  I think I have most of them......will have to catalog my collection one of "These Days".

I did that for my vinyl (but not CD's) on Discogs.  It took a while but it's great to have them catalogued.  Just do a couple dozen at a time and you'll get there.  I wasn't super fussy about narrowing down some of the more common titles to the exact run-out matrix, but got most of my records close enough for my needs. 

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Such a great band. I wonder if they're going to continue re-issuing their catalog? Monster was the last one. I need to pick up the super deluxe of that one and add it to the collection!
    www.cluthelee.com
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

So many great memories.

I did that for my vinyl (but not CD's) on Discogs.  It took a while but it's great to have them catalogued.  Just do a couple dozen at a time and you'll get there.  I wasn't super fussy about narrowing down some of the more common titles to the exact run-out matrix, but got most of my records close enough for my needs. 
    Sounds like a good plan.

Most of the 12" singles are very reasonably priced on Discogs......I will have to see which ones I am missing!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

So many great memories.

Sounds like a good plan.

Most of the 12" singles are very reasonably priced on Discogs......I will have to see which ones I am missing!
    I was at a record store in Colorado Springs last year that had a bunch of them. I wanted to pick them up but was overruled by the boss.