Is technology taking over our lives?!?

I'm asking if you think that Technology is taking over our lives and what the ramifications or downfalls may or might be?

For instance I have a phone that knows where I parked my car, where I work and where I live yet I've programmed none of this in my phone, it just knows.

The phone also tells me whom might be calling when there is a number that calls me that isn't in my contacts.

There is face recognition everywhere now.

Alexa listens and monitors what you say.

Your advertising on your computer/phone is from pages you directly looked at.

I feel that there is so much dependency on tech now and the potential uses of it against us kind of frightens me.

Thoughts?

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I try to separate technology from my own independence.  Some is fine, useful, and incorporated well for my means.  My parameters - I am mine.

But, no need for reverse-cameras in my car; I use my eyes and mirrors.  Got parallel-parking down.  Would rather enjoy driving myself - gunning it with music cranking, controlling my own speed, my own decisions based on experience - than have a self-driving vehicle.  I rarely click on ad links so that's mostly off of my radar, even if right on the screen.

...and on.

Like being taken advantage of, dependency on devices is of our own...device.

Freedom of choice, to the largest degree as possible.  With common sense, of course.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Is technology taking over our lives?

I'd say for most, yes.  People in first world countries in particular are losing many skills because of reliance on technology, even basic skills- things like using a map and compass when no GPS is available, spelling without a machine to help, doing basic math without a calculator, etc.  And then there's the sense we are developing as a culture that we are insecure without a phone on us even for a short period of time, feeling the need to be hooked up to the airwaves all the time, relying on sketchy information on the internet instead of using our own mind and senses to understand the world.   When artificial intelligence is perfected, machines will either tell us what to do or tell us to get a life.  When I'm out walking in the woods or even around town without a device on my person, it feels good to live without these technological addictions for a while.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

By the way, t 'n g,  great question!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Yes
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I'm asking if you think that Technology is taking over our lives and what the ramifications or downfalls may or might be?

For instance I have a phone that knows where I parked my car, where I work and where I live yet I've programmed none of this in my phone, it just knows.

The phone also tells me whom might be calling when there is a number that calls me that isn't in my contacts.

There is face recognition everywhere now.

Alexa listens and monitors what you say.

Your advertising on your computer/phone is from pages you directly looked at.

I feel that there is so much dependency on tech now and the potential uses of it against us kind of frightens me.

Thoughts?
    I am pondering your questions as I type on my iPad via WiFi here at work in front of my computer with my iPhone in my pocket alerting me with texts...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    What creeps me out is I will look at something on my phone or computer at home, on my home network, under my personal logins.  And then I come to work, on my work computer, on my work logins, and get ads for shit I was looking up at home.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpsG21dl9o

Billy skipped school again looking like a fool again
    What a little waste for a taste of a big boys life
    I'm scared for the children

Computer screens and magazines
    Manufactured hopes and dreams
    Playing in a concrete box cause mother's got her shows to watch

This is the end of the age of the innocent
    One more game before they go
    This is the end of the age of the innocent
    What will we leave them with
    Suppose we'll never know

Processed greens and man made meat
    running out of things to eat
    Little boys having way too much fun playing with a big boys gun

And on the day the last bird dies
    There won't be a drop from their big square eyes
    An old man with his eyes just like glass
    Kisses the last blade of grass

No respect for anyone
    Why would they after what we done
    What an example we have set, what a planet we have left
    Let's be there for these children

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    I guess the answer might be in the question of what your response is when you can't connect. When you're wifi is out, you have no signal, your electricity is out, cable out, etc. In those times, it forces detachment. If you practice detachment from things, then it's probably not that big of a deal. If you haven't practiced it, you might feel out of sorts and uncomfortable/agitated. I think GenXers and older folks may have an advantage because we grew up not being connected electronically. For younger people, they may have to make a repeated commitment to consciously disconnect and learn to experience that feeling by choice.
  • Let me ask this in another way. 

Do tou think that technology is invading your privacy?
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I guess the answer might be in the question of what your response is when you can't connect. When you're wifi is out, you have no signal, your electricity is out, cable out, etc. In those times, it forces detachment. If you practice detachment from things, then it's probably not that big of a deal. If you haven't practiced it, you might feel out of sorts and uncomfortable/agitated. I think GenXers and older folks may have an advantage because we grew up not being connected electronically. For younger people, they may have to make a repeated commitment to consciously disconnect and learn to experience that feeling by choice.
    I agree and think that it is very important to disconnect from tech now and then.  Personally, I like hiking and hunting, but there are lots of escapes.  It is refreshing being somewhere without the “noise”.  I make a conscience effort to push my son to play outside as much as possible, knowing full well that he will be drenched in the world of tech as he gets older.  Hopefully he will still like the great outdoors too... 
    Let me ask this in another way. 

Do tou think that technology is invading your privacy?
    Not really but then I keep in mind that anything I put out or look up on a computer is no longer private.  If I want something to be kept private, I'm not going to involve a computer and maybe not even a phone.  That includes sex, going to the bathroom and, definitely, brushing my teeth.

On a personal note- I realized this morning how technologically unhinged I am.  I tried to call my wife's iPhone with my cell phone this morning and I haven't written her number in my little address book and I didn't know how to access my cell phone's address book.  Pathetic!  

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    It's to late there is not turning back ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • It's to late there is not turning back ...
    I completely agree Jose.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited November 2017

Do you think that technology is invading your privacy?
    Absolutely. I was just talking about this the other day with a couple of friends. One was telling me that after a long conversation with a co-worker about anti-convulsant drugs, the next day he started getting ads on his phone browser for anti-convulsant medications. He said he has never searched for them and has no history of seizures himself. Creeped him out. 

Then, the very next day I received an ad on my YouTube app for dental dam. This was less than 48 hours after standing and listening to two co-workers have an inappropriate conversation about it. I have never searched for anything on my phone related to dental dam, yet there it was. 

I have the Google assistant/voice commands turned off on my phone and we are convinced they are mining voice data anyway. I consider going back to an old fashioned flip phone everyday. 
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on

I completely agree Jose.
    Would either of you (or any one can answer) want to turn back?  If so, to what point?  If not, how much further would you like to see technology advance?

• Let me ask this in another way. 

Absolutely. I was just talking about this the other day with a couple of friends. One was telling me that after a long conversation with a co-worker about anti-convulsant drugs, the next day he started getting ads on his phone browser for anti-convulsant medications. He said he has never searched for them and has no history of seizures himself. Creeped him out. 

Then, the very next day I received an ad on my YouTube app for dental dam. This was less than 48 hours after standing and listening to two co-workers have an inappropriate conversation about it. I have never searched for anything on my phone related to dental dam, yet there it was. 

I have the Google assistant/voice commands turned off on my phone and we are convinced they are mining voice data anyway. I consider going back to an old fashioned flip phone everyday. 
    I've had these very converstions with people about my computer showing ads that I only discussed...  Crazy.
  • brianlux said:

I completely agree Jose.
    Would either of you (or any one can answer) want to turn back?  If so, to what point?  If not, how much further would you like to see technology advance?
    We can't go back but we can all stop using devices if needed be...
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

I've had these very converstions with people about my computer showing ads that I only discussed...  Crazy.
    Normal everyday things I might not have noticed, but in both of our cases it was something very specific and random that we had discussed or heard very recently.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

The answer is yes.  We've won.

Please note this was an automated response from Bootlegger10's iPhone.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

Awesome lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Not the enjoyable parts.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg

haha!  Good one, bottleg!

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    It is so difficult to determine whether technology is overall a positive thing or negative.  It certainly is taking over.  

I think overall it is positive with the advancements to medicine, communication, and travel.  But I don’t think it is making us happier, and it will eventually in my opinion get rid of so many jobs that people will be given stipends from the government in order to pay for food and shelter.  Technology has also opened up the world to mass chaos whether it is a weapon of mass destruction, easier communication for terrorists, or a mass cyber attack.  Certainly privacy is out the window.

I really believe the best days for western society are behind us.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    edited November 2017
    time after time we hear stories of folks trusting gps over the info gathered with their own eyes.
    new truckers ,who shouldn't be truckers,   have driven under bridges to low for their vehicle and gotten stuck, damaging the bridge, the truck and or trailer and the freight being hauled.

most common excuse? the gps said to go that way.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    time after time we hear stories of folks trusting gps over the info gathered with their own eyes.
    new truckers ,who shouldn't be truckers,   have driven under bridges to low for their vehicle and gotten stuck, damaging the bridge, the truck and or trailer and the freight being hauled.

I'm laughing out loud because this reminds me of the time my wife and I drove up a favorite to be in the snow.   We knew that road was closed several mile up to the top going toward HWY 88.  We went as far as we could safely go in her 4-Runner and got out to check out the snow.  A few minutes later along comes three young adults in this little Datun sedan skidding and jerking nervously along the snowy road.  The three of them piled out  said told us their GPS told them this road goes up to HWY 88.  We said, "Yes, it does."  They asked how long it would take to get up to 88.  We said, "Oh, about three or four months, after the snow melts off and they open the gate.  It would be faster if you went back down to Placerville and took HWY 50 to 88."  :lol:

• brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

I'm laughing out loud because this reminds me of the time my wife and I drove up a favorite to be in the snow.   We knew that road was closed several mile up to the top going toward HWY 88.  We went as far as we could safely go in her 4-Runner and got out to check out the snow.  A few minutes later along comes three young adults in this little Datun sedan skidding and jerking nervously along the snowy road.  The three of them piled out  said told us their GPS told them this road goes up to HWY 88.  We said, "Yes, it does."  They asked how long it would take to get up to 88.  We said, "Oh, about three or four months, after the snow melts off and they open the gate.  It would be faster if you went back down to Placerville and took HWY 50 to 88."  :lol:
    Monitor, Tioga and Sonora are ALL closed during the winter too!
  • It is so difficult to determine whether technology is overall a positive thing or negative.  It certainly is taking over.  

I think overall it is positive with the advancements to medicine, communication, and travel.  But I don’t think it is making us happier, and it will eventually in my opinion get rid of so many jobs that people will be given stipends from the government in order to pay for food and shelter.  Technology has also opened up the world to mass chaos whether it is a weapon of mass destruction, easier communication for terrorists, or a mass cyber attack.  Certainly privacy is out the window.

I really believe the best days for western society are behind us.  
    So about privacy.

With all the information that we give away on social media, it has to be used for something?  Face recognition, DNA testing on your "heritage" are others I'm worried about.

I believe that all these things are being cataloged and used for something.  Algorithms to steer us into liking and buying things?  Database to follow us?  GPS in phones?  Onstar in cars?

Just curious on what others think about these things?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    What creeps me out is I will look at something on my phone or computer at home, on my home network, under my personal logins.  And then I come to work, on my work computer, on my work logins, and get ads for shit I was looking up at home.
    THIS. I noticed this the other day. It freaked me the fuck out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    I think the conveniences of technology are not taking over our lives. Like how the OP's phone knows where he parked, or easy logins with facial recognition, or it knowing your tastes, or it knowing where you've been, etc... I think that is just that: conveniences. I understand how certain things can be unsettling at first, but it's not a take over of our lives. Sure, privacy is an issue for those who care about that kind of thing, but again, that's not a take over. I personally don't mind if firefox or facebook knows that I was shopping for some vinyl or knows that I attended some concert ... that's actually pretty cool IMO. I get targeted ads for vinyl and concerts that fit into my musical tastes. Awesome. My phone doesn't know where I work, but that is because I have never told it that. My browser doesn't know it and Facebook does not know who my employer is either. All this info IS given by us, one way or another. If you don't think you gave out the info, you're mistaken.

What I do think is taking over our lives is simply the time spent using social media. I find that troubling. When one is alone in front of the TV or whatever, no big deal. But some people are on it almost constantly when they are out of the house and with other people. It sucks. I also think social media is taking over our lives in a much more sinister way: it is all having a terrible impact on how people view the world. They are constantly exposed to weird little microcosms only, and less and less see the big picture, or actual facts, or any kind of true reflection of what's really happening or how people at large feel about things. And they are finding WAY too much agreement, and info filtered through their own established biases. It's not good at all... I mean, I think Trump's victory has everything to do with that issue, so it's not like it's only harmful on an individual level.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think the conveniences of technology are not taking over our lives. Like how the OP's phone knows where he parked, or easy logins with facial recognition, or it knowing your tastes, or it knowing where you've been, etc... I think that is just that: conveniences. I understand how certain things can be unsettling at first, but it's not a take over of our lives. Sure, privacy is an issue for those who care about that kind of thing, but again, that's not a take over. I personally don't mind if firefox or facebook knows that I was shopping for some vinyl or knows that I attended some concert ... that's actually pretty cool IMO. I get targeted ads for vinyl and concerts that fit into my musical tastes. Awesome. My phone doesn't know where I work, but that is because I have never told it that. My browser doesn't know it and Facebook does not know who my employer is either. All this info IS given by us, one way or another. If you don't think you gave out the info, you're mistaken.

What I do think is taking over our lives is simply the time spent using social media. I find that troubling. When one is alone in front of the TV or whatever, no big deal. But some people are on it almost constantly when they are out of the house and with other people. It sucks. I also think social media is taking over our lives in a much more sinister way: it is all having a terrible impact on how people view the world. They are constantly exposed to weird little microcosms only, and less and less see the big picture, or actual facts, or any kind of true reflection of what's really happening or how people at large feel about things. And they are finding WAY too much agreement, and info filtered through their own established biases. It's not good at all... I mean, I think Trump's victory has everything to do with that issue, so it's not like it's only harmful on an individual level.
    Social media is a black hole in the age of electronics!