***OFFICIAL FOO FIGHTERS THREAD***

Comments

• iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    kramer73 said:
    3 hour show in Madison, great show!
    It was a fun show last night, at times I felt that there was a bit too much banter from Dave when another song or two could've been played
    kramer73 said:
    It was a very good show!
    Lots of fun
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    They did three hours in Champaign too.

Great live show and organic. Flowed really well.  Incredibly entertaining and they took a few liberties with their songs. I'm glad that they didn't just do albums versions of everything. Good covers, sound and an impressive visual spectacle. 

Dave Grohl is something else. I think I would be entertained watching that guy make macaroni and cheese. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I have a feeling that they will play Northern Invasion next May. Soundgarden headlined last May, along with Bush, Offspring, Fozzy, Pretty Reckless, and many many more. I have nothing to back this up, other than they are playing other US festivals in Spring, they have nothing on their website for 5/12-13, and they skipped MSP on this tour. 

But either way, see you all in Sioux Falls! I have the flu, but I have GA which are will call only, and don't want to disappoint the wife. So I'm making the 4 hour drive on Saturday since they need my ID to pickup the tickets. And since I'm going that far, I may as well go to the show!
  • kramer73 said:
    It was a fun show last night, at times I felt that there was a bit too much banter from Dave when another song or two could've been played
    kramer73 said:
    It was a very good show!
    Lots of fun
    I would pay money to watch Dave Grohl talk for 3 hours.
    I'm through with screaming
  • I have a feeling that they will play Northern Invasion next May. Soundgarden headlined last May, along with Bush, Offspring, Fozzy, Pretty Reckless, and many many more. I have nothing to back this up, other than they are playing other US festivals in Spring, they have nothing on their website for 5/12-13, and they skipped MSP on this tour. 

But either way, see you all in Sioux Falls! I have the flu, but I have GA which are will call only, and don't want to disappoint the wife. So I'm making the 4 hour drive on Saturday since they need my ID to pickup the tickets. And since I'm going that far, I may as well go to the show!
    Wear a mask!
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    Was at the Champaign show last night, that show is absolutely carried by Taylor Hawkins (drummer). The setlist was great for a relatively casual FF fan like myself, but if I went to a PJ show and it was the same proportion of crowd pleasers, I'd not be disappointed per se, but would've rather had deeper cuts. Maybe it's that FF doesn't have such a deep following and they know the set list has to be hit driven? 

2hr 40 min show, and they didn't slow down much. Tom Petty cover was great, though I wished they would've left it just chill through the song than amping it up like every other song they did. Good liberties with format of the songs to get away from Radio Takes, but too many "gotcha, the song isn't really over yet". 

Taylor's drum solo was lights out.

And, a guy came from the crowd and sang Tom Sawyer (had to be a plant, he's in a local band and works for a broadcaster in town, but it was still cool) Heard they happened upon a kid who could shred guitar at a previous show. Makes for a good show, and maybe some of PJ's "random crowd" guests have been plants too, but I have blinders on about it.

The Struts were a riot. Fun to watch. 

I was entertained by Dave for a while, but he kinda wore out the "i'm a rock god superstar, stroke my ego" bit. You gotta have some of that, but it got to be a little much. I'd go again if I have the chance, so not overly complaining, just my opinion. There's a slight difference I felt of being talked AT by Dave, than being talked TO by Ed. Dave chastised folks for taking so long to see a show, where I think Ed would joke, but warmly welcome the newbs.

Aside from Dave and Taylor, the rest of the players could've been anyone, not a lot of interaction and feeling of camaraderie on stage. Could've been the sound, but the lead player just didn't tickle any of my fancies. 

One thing I appreciate in PJ, Ed knows when they've played a venue and does homework. Dave couldn't remember if they played here or not before. I'd rather not have said anything than feel like the place wasn't memorable. "It all looks the same after a while," he says. Boooo!

:)
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    PJinIL said:
    Was at the Champaign show last night, that show is absolutely carried by Taylor Hawkins (drummer). The setlist was great for a relatively casual FF fan like myself, but if I went to a PJ show and it was the same proportion of crowd pleasers, I'd not be disappointed per se, but would've rather had deeper cuts. Maybe it's that FF doesn't have such a deep following and they know the set list has to be hit driven? 

Actually bands like PJ and Springsteen are anomolies.   Most bands only do greatest hits type setlists.  Foo Fighters, U2, Metallica.   Maybe if they have a new album, they pump out a handful of new songs, mixed in with the greatest hits setlist.  

With Foo Fighters I'm not sure they have good enough deep cuts to keep the crowd going.  As per my previous post the first two albums are awesome front to back.  After that it's a few good songs on each album (I would say only Wasting Light is great front to back out of the post colour and shape albums).   I don't think FF have the catalog to go too deep.  The audience would also be alot more casual than a PJ audience.   With bands like Foo Fighters and Metallica I don't lose sleep if I miss a tour.    There's not a need to travel or see multiple shows (or every tour).    PJ cultivated it's own culture.  They mixed up the setlists, people started traveling, the more people travel, the more they want to hear something different.    So a high percentage of every show is people that know the majority of PJ's catalog.  It's awesome but it's also uncommon.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    The setlists have been pretty much the same.  I'm glad I waited until after my show to look on setlist.fm.  Still a good show.
  • Why even compare the two (Ed and Dave)? Do you compare every band you see to PJ? Just curious.
  • PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    Why even compare the two (Ed and Dave)? Do you compare every band you see to PJ? Just curious.
    Fair question...no, I don't think I compare every band to PJ, but it's a PJ board, so the examples I provide help with context, I guess. PJ sets a high standard for me, as far as concert experiences, so it's hard not to compare to some extent. I could've just said I thought Dave was approaching ass-hat status and left it at that, but then someone else would come and bust my balls and ask to cite examples of why I feel that way :) So, I figure provide context. 

And, while it sounded like I was ripping on FF at times, their show was great for me. My point was wondering how hard core FF fans feel when they get a greatest hits show? It's fun, but it's not a particularly unique or special experience. I honestly don't follow any bands as closely as PJ, but it doesn't stop me from really digging other music. 
    It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJinIL said:

2hr 40 min show, and they didn't slow down much. Tom Petty cover was great, though I wished they would've left it just chill through the song than amping it up like every other song they did. Good liberties with format of the songs to get away from Radio Takes, but too many "gotcha, the song isn't really over yet". 

Taylor's drum solo was lights out.

And, a guy came from the crowd and sang Tom Sawyer (had to be a plant, he's in a local band and works for a broadcaster in town, but it was still cool) Heard they happened upon a kid who could shred guitar at a previous show. Makes for a good show, and maybe some of PJ's "random crowd" guests have been plants too, but I have blinders on about it.

The Struts were a riot. Fun to watch. 

I was entertained by Dave for a while, but he kinda wore out the "i'm a rock god superstar, stroke my ego" bit. You gotta have some of that, but it got to be a little much. I'd go again if I have the chance, so not overly complaining, just my opinion. There's a slight difference I felt of being talked AT by Dave, than being talked TO by Ed. Dave chastised folks for taking so long to see a show, where I think Ed would joke, but warmly welcome the newbs.

Aside from Dave and Taylor, the rest of the players could've been anyone, not a lot of interaction and feeling of camaraderie on stage. Could've been the sound, but the lead player just didn't tickle any of my fancies. 

One thing I appreciate in PJ, Ed knows when they've played a venue and does homework. Dave couldn't remember if they played here or not before. I'd rather not have said anything than feel like the place wasn't memorable. "It all looks the same after a while," he says. Boooo!

:)
    dave is the focal point. he makes that very clear, and the band knows it. they have stated as much in interviews. they know it's dave's band. with decisions, with songwriting, the live show. but honestly, the lead guitarist and the bassist have never been "jump around" type of players anyway. Pat hops a bit, and Taylor is pretty intense, but it's the Dave Grohl show. 

as someone else said, not many bands change up the set lists. pj is rare in that regard. it's too bad, as I've said before, PJ has kind of ruined all other bands for me in that regard. I've even talked to the lead singer of the Headstones about it. I asked him if they'd ever play (obscure soundtrack song) Streets of Laredo, and he replied "doubt it, because 90% of the crowd would think I'm singing "Sheeps Love Tomatoes". he might be right, but I also think that most bands underestimate their fanbase. I personally think most bands would love to challenge their audience like PJ does, but are possible too afraid of sucking all the air out of the room. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I thought The Struts were fucking terrible. It seemed like they were trying to fit every 80's rock cliche into a 45 minute set. 

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    I thought The Struts were fucking terrible. It seemed like they were trying to fit every 80's rock cliche into a 45 minute set. 

Agree on the Struts
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I know they do unique posters for each show, but what about shirts? Does anyone have pics of the merch tables?

I'm really only after a poster and shirt. Maybe a keychain for my daughter, who collects, you guessed it, keychains!

Thanks for any help!
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    The keychain is the new logo, and it's a spinny thing.  
  • AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    Does anyone have a presale password for the 2nd Wrigley show?!?! Thanks!
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    Ando said:
    Does anyone have a presale password for the 2nd Wrigley show?!?! Thanks!
    FFCUBS2
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    over rated.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Got GA for Wrigley night 2
  • Wobbie said:
    over rated.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Wobbie said:
    over rated.

No
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Got my tickets for the July 30 show
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO

• Wobbie said:
    over rated.
    Agreed
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Got my tickets for the July 30 show
    Glad I didn't book my hotel yet. Allowed me to go ahead and get tickets for 07/30 as well. Gonna be a great weekend in Chicago.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    dudeman said:

Agree on the Struts
    The Struts were entertaining and amusing to me.  Although a definite highlight of the Strut's performance was the people watching. My sisters and I made it a game to find the best expressions in the audience around us. Many of the males around us had expressions that morphed from blank stares, to confusion and finally to dismay and almost disgust. It was quite something.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    The Foos announced there will be another Caljam in 2018 on October 6.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Foo just announced some West coast dates....

9/1 - Seattle, WA - Safeco Field 
    9/4 - Edmonton, AB - Rogers Place 
    9/6
     - Calgary, AB - Scotiabank Saddledome 
    9/8 - Vancouver, BC - Pepsi Live at Rogers Arena 
    9/10
     - Portland, OR - Moda Center 
    9/12 - San Jose, CA - SAP Center 

Presale starts tomorrow.  Public sale on Saturday.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    fuckers. skip central canada again. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Thinking I'll hit up Safeco in Seattle.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • If someone could message me the email (mailing list) password... I would think you are awesome.

I'm on the mail list, but have received nothing.
    "My brain's a good brain!"