***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

Comments

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    my2hands said:
    STP died with Weiland
    yup.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Stone Chester Pilots was god awful.
    Hehe!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I bought the Stone Chester Pilots  EP out of curiosity from an mp3 site I use and am glad that I only spent 20 cents for it. That was still too much... 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    yeah, blech. i was kinda hoping they'd go back to talk show.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I don't like AIC 2.0 that much either. The first album was okay, but that 2nd one, not really. Talk Show was a pretty cool side project, though. I think I bought the newest AIC, SCP and Talk Show at the same time and the Talk Show record is definitely the best of the 3.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I think the problem STP had, was when they tried other projects like Talk Show and umm Army of Anyone (?) the fanbase wasn't really there.   I think the guys are stuck in a place where they can't earn a living without the name recognition.   It's not easy.   It's hard enough getting lightning to strike once and be in a good band that sells albums and tickets.   Lightning striking twice is even rarer.   They've tried it twice and it never really took off.

It's kind of sad.   Every move they make has them playing smaller venues.    They were playing small theaters with Stone Chester Pilots.    That didn't work famously well.  I think it's even less interest with a 3rd singer.

In regards to AIC.  I tend to agree on the studio albums.   On the two new albums theres a song or two per album I find memorable, but that's it.  I don't really spin them that often.   Nothing like the first time I put on Jar of Flies.     I do find the the live shows are pretty good though.   I saw Wiliam Duvall tour with Jerry Cantrell a few times for solo shows, and I've seen him with AIC twice (once in Vancouver, once opening for GNR last year).   They were pretty good both times.    At least there's that :)

• FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I know Eddie Vedder thinks the drummer is the 'heart' of a band but I really think it's the singer.  I think a lot of people can play the notes well but once you hear the different voice it completely throws me...it's why I hate covers.  
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    in your opinion, but that's really up to the band. 

I think AIC died with Layne, honestly, but I don't begrudge them for using the name. I don't even really think of them as AIC, I think of them more as Jerry Cantrell solo. BGWTB pretty much is a JC solo record. William was rhythm guitar and backing vocals. Dinosaurs was different, and I didn't like it. 

I don't get hung up so much anymore about bands and whatever name they choose to use when they lose their singer. Same with Courtney Love using Hole. I thought it was stupid, but it didn't make me like/dislike the record. 

what's in a name, really? marketing, and nothing more. Talk Show probably would have been successful had they used the STP name. it was a good record. 
    AIC 100% died with Layne
    ok, i get it, you are still having issue with the difference between fact and opinion. that's fine. to each their own. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    FrankY59 said:
    I know Eddie Vedder thinks the drummer is the 'heart' of a band but I really think it's the singer.  I think a lot of people can play the notes well but once you hear the different voice it completely throws me...it's why I hate covers.  

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    STP, AIC and Blind Melon certainly aren't the same without their respective original singers. That doesn't mean that the rest of the band isn't capable of making great music with a new front man or woman. 

STP just hasn't found the right candidate, IMO. I'd really like to see them find someone who wasn't trying to mimic Weiland. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    STP, AIC and Blind Melon certainly aren't the same without their respective original singers. That doesn't mean that the rest of the band isn't capable of making great music with a new front man or woman. 

STP just hasn't found the right candidate, IMO. I'd really like to see them find someone who wasn't trying to mimic Weiland. 
    that's just it, really. I mean, with Shannon Hoon, a lot of fans hated how much Travis sounded like him, and I can understand that, but the dude is seriously talented on his own, he's not just some clone. even when the band did their other projects not calling it Blind Melon, they still had singers that had the same range as him. it's just what suits their music I guess. 

I don't like Chester's voice at all, no matter what band he's singing with. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I haven't heard anything that he's done. I never listened to LP and I haven't gotten around to Stone Chester Pilots (lol)! 

The surviving members of STP are seriously talented and I think they should continue making records. They just have to find the right singer.

What's Meat Loaf up to these days? Maybe he could fill in. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    the second lead singer of I Mother Earth (Brian Byrne) tried out. He would have been a good fit. Not sexy, but great voice and he definitely has a rockstar look. the guy is head to toe one big tattoo. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

looks like the band has found a new singer. they aren't announcing who yet. I think they are letting the Core anniversary play out, and they are writing and recording with this new guy. Maybe they'll just drop a new record and that'll be the announcement. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

posting puzzle pieces on social media. maybe an album cover? they have a gig next week with the new singer. can't believe they've been able to keep it under wraps. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Myles Kennedy maybe?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Myles Kennedy maybe?
    alt nation dude thinks it's Jeff Gutt. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Myles Kennedy maybe?
    apparently it is him.  I have no idea who he is.  Had to look him up.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-stone-temple-pilots-recruit-one-time-the-x-factor-singer-jeff-gutt-as-new-frontman/

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Myles Kennedy maybe?
    apparently it is him.  I have no idea who he is.  Had to look him up.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/its-official-stone-temple-pilots-recruit-one-time-the-x-factor-singer-jeff-gutt-as-new-frontman/

as a non-reality tv watcher, i also had no idea. but he sounds good. we'll see what the songwriting quality is. and what his don't-imitate-weiland-quotient is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mckaymckay Posts: 156
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Looks like they went for a Scott sound a like.  
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I think that has more to do with the production and possibly some coaching from the Deleo’s than the guy actually trying to rip Weiland. I wouldn’t say Bennington or the Filter guy sound like Weiland, but they had a lot of that character when playing with tha STP guys.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Not too impressed with a first listen.
    during the bridge I could swear it was Duncan Coutts (Talk Show) singing. It's like he's a combination of Weiland, Chester, and Duncan in that one song. 

it's a decent song, but they're going to have to come to grips with the fact that this guy sounds like Weiland, intentional or not. he does. and they are going to get ripped for it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

They know what they want - which is fine by me. I love good rock n' roll and dig the new single!
    www.cluthelee.com
    They know what they want - which is fine by me. I love good rock n' roll and dig the new single!
    me too. I'd go see them if they came to my neck of the woods. 

when AIC announced they were getting a new singer, I thought "FUCK YOU! NO AIC WITHOUT LAYNE". I eventually came to the realization that it's just a fucking name. Is it the same AIC as with Layne? No, it's a different dynamic. But if I take the Layne part out of the equation, and stop focusing on the damn name, I can like the music for the music itself, not for what it isn't. 

I keep seeing "IT'S NOT STP WITHOUT SCOTT" comments on social media. 

the STP guys have learned that it's all about marketing (AKA "selling out" to the haters). getting your music to the masses. that's the goal of every artist. talk show was a commercial failure. so was Army of Anyone. why? did the music suck? no, but there wasn't the name recognition that made people check it out for familiarity's sake. if the label doesn't get behind you, you won't succeed. simple as that (unless you are a absolute rarity that defies marketing and goes viral on its own). Even Nirvana needed backing for Nevermind. they didn't go to #1 on the first week. so you need to market yourselves. 

people get so stuck on a name, like the band owed it to their fans own personal memory and nostalgia to change their name and not make a living. it's really quite silly if you really think about it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I love love love that Army of Anyone record. Still listen to it regularly. I don't even know who Jeff Gutt is, so I think I'm coming in without opinion.
    www.cluthelee.com
    I love love love that Army of Anyone record. Still listen to it regularly. I don't even know who Jeff Gutt is, so I think I'm coming in without opinion.
    people are bashing him because he was a past contestant on The X Factor. 3rd runner up I believe. But so what. You gotta do what you gotta do to get anywhere in the music business, and if competing on a music show is what you feel you need to do, do it. Hey, it got his name out there, it got someone who the Deleo brothers know to check him out, and eventually hire him. So kudos to him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I don't even know what the X-Factor is. Dumped TV years ago.
    www.cluthelee.com