Gord Downie has passed away

CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
Rock in Peace. 2017 has been unforgiving to the music world. 

Comments

• JimminezJimminez Posts: 217
    RIP.  Sad day indeed.
    2018 - 8/8, 8/10
    2016 - 5/5, 5/8, 5/10, 5/12, 8/5, 8/7
    2014 - 6/28, 6/29
    2013 - 10/12, 11/24
    2011 - 9/14
    2005 - 9/16
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    RIP, so damn tragic.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Sad day indeed. After watching the Long Time Running documentary I have a new found love for Gord and the band. It is incredible what he went through to prepare for that last tour. What a strong and loving man. RIP. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    :cry:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 361
    PJNB said:
    Sad day indeed. After watching the Long Time Running documentary I have a new found love for Gord and the band. It is incredible what he went through to prepare for that last tour. What a strong and loving man. RIP. 
    Haven't seen it yet but my wife went and saw it and said it was really good. Will definitely be watching with a heavier heart when I do watch it in November
    For all of our Canadian friends Long Time Running will air nationally on CTV on November 12. Steaming on Crave TV the following day. Our international friends will be able to stream on Netflix on November 26
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    CPR7 said:
    For all of our Canadian friends Long Time Running will air nationally on CTV on November 12. Steaming on Crave TV the following day. Our international friends will be able to stream on Netflix on November 26
    Thanks for the heads up. I will set the DVR. I still have the Kingston show saved on it. 
  • Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    F*ck.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
    PJNB said:
    CPR7 said:
    Thanks for the heads up. I will set the DVR. I still have the Kingston show saved on it. 
    Ha same here. It's one of those recordings that will not be deleted. 
    Double Fuck as I just realized that this news broke exactly 5 months to the day since we've lost Chris. 
  • Sad day. :-( RIP Gord, you were an original.

STATEMENT

October 18, 2017

Last night Gord quietly passed away with his beloved children and family close by.

Gord knew this day was coming – his response was to spend this precious time as he always had – making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss… on the lips.

Gord said he had lived many lives. As a musician, he lived “the life” for over 30 years, lucky to do most of it with his high school buddies. At home, he worked just as tirelessly at being a good father, son, brother, husband and friend. No one worked harder on every part of their life than Gord. No one.

We would like to thank all the kind folks at KGH and Sunnybrook, Gord’s bandmates, management team, friends and fans. Thank you for all the help and support over the past two years.

Thank you everyone for all the respect, admiration and love you have given Gord throughout the years – those tender offerings touched his heart and he takes them with him now as he walks among the stars.

Love you forever Gord.

The Downie Family

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    RIP Mr. Downie... Thank you for everything! 
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    RIP, sad
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Very sad news today. RIP Mr. Downie :( 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    RIP, Gord.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • chainchain Montreal Posts: 336
    Gord Downie his all about the pure definition of "live performances".  The connection with all of us in front of him was exceptionnal... Besides Pearl Jam, The Tragically Hip was my thing... my recluse... my inspiration... Gord Downie made me wanted to see every other bands live to discover what they were all about... 1 other band gave me those chills... its PJ...  All those stories, those smiles...  Gord and Ed are all about the music, the fans, the connection between us... 

Will never forget you Gord... thank you for being a part of my life... and thank you for giving me the opportunity to discover live music like never before...
    Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08 / Ottawa 20-03-20 / Quebec 20-03-22
  • Chris519Chris519 Posts: 150
    We all knew it was coming but holy shit this hurts.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    I was prepared for this day - I think it was harder for me when I found out he had terminal brain cancer than it was to wake up to this terrible news. Nonetheless, I'm so, so sad about this. I feel the void. Never again will we have someone like Gord. :heartbreak:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I was prepared for this day - I think it was harder for me when I found out he had terminal brain cancer than it was to wake up to this terrible news. Nonetheless, I'm so, so sad about this. I feel the void. Never again will we have someone like Gord. :heartbreak:
    today is harder for me. I found out when my wife called me from work to give me the news. It hit, but not quite. Then I got to work, and saw all the tributes online, etc, and I bawled for the first 2 hours of my day. I cried less about Cornell. There was just SOMETHING about Gord. Even if I didn't always love their musical output, the live show was second to none. Kicking myself for having chose not to go see him solo on the Grand Bounce tour. And not being able to convince anyone to go to Minnie with me to see them at a 500 capacity club for Fully Completely Anniversary tour. that would be have been something else. 

Hindsight. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    had the privilege of meeting the band backstage very intimately in 1990 and 91. i had brought a large record store poster of the band with me to get signed. they couldn't have been nicer. each one was as friendly as you would have imagined. there wasn't a table in the room so each one including gord got down on the carpeted floor with me to sign the poster. basically they were thanking me for coming to their show. its a story you never forget. rip gord you were a musical icon . never about the business of music just the music. 
    foodboy said:
    had the privilege of meeting the band backstage very intimately in 1990 and 91. i had brought a large record store poster of the band with me to get signed. they couldn't have been nicer. each one was as friendly as you would have imagined. there wasn't a table in the room so each one including gord got down on the carpeted floor with me to sign the poster. basically they were thanking me for coming to their show. its a story you never forget. rip gord you were a musical icon . never about the business of music just the music. 
    excellent memory for you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    if you saw the comments they wrote on the poster you would understand. 
    foodboy said:
    if you saw the comments they wrote on the poster you would understand. 
    as I said, that's excellent. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess it gives the brain time to adapt and adjust to the concept :(   I'm a bit bummed but I don't feel gutpunched like the day I found out he had terminal brain cancer or out of nowhere death of Chris Cornell.

It's a big loss though.  I've been listening to the hip for a long time.   I think I've seen them 4 times with the first one being here in Victoria when they brought Another Roadside Attraction to Western Speedway (early 90s.. I remember I was in high school). 

I also feel sad about the year in whole.    Most of my favourite bands are older than me.  I expected that one day I might outlive all my favourites.   I figured that would be an issue in my 70s or 80s.    I didn't expect to lose this many by the time I was 40 :(
  • KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    edited October 2017

Ive had this one up on my wall for years, a great show!  Ive lost count how many times Ive seen them live, from university pubs to headliners.
    Post edited by KICK7071 on
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
    I always meant to download his solo shows from the Coke Machine Glow tour I believe it was. All on maplemusic.com. I just went there and it's all gone. Anyone have them?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess it gives the brain time to adapt and adjust to the concept :(   I'm a bit bummed but I don't feel gutpunched like the day I found out he had terminal brain cancer or out of nowhere death of Chris Cornell.

It's a big loss though.  I've been listening to the hip for a long time.   I think I've seen them 4 times with the first one being here in Victoria when they brought Another Roadside Attraction to Western Speedway (early 90s.. I remember I was in high school). 

I also feel sad about the year in whole.    Most of my favourite bands are older than me.  I expected that one day I might outlive all my favourites.   I figured that would be an issue in my 70s or 80s.    I didn't expect to lose this many by the time I was 40 :(
    For sure, I'm feeling the same way. Chris, Tom Petty, Gord, all in quick succession. I also found out that an old friend of mine died of a fucking drug overdose in a hotel room a couple weeks ago (and he had a high profile job so it got all over the news - he'd be absolutely mortified). I hadn't seen him in probably 10 years, but I am definitely still feeling that loss as well. Too much death in my life right now. And yeah, as I grimly mentioned in another thread recently... we'd all better mentally/emotionally steel ourselves, because it's only going to get worse from here. We're at that age now. It's a huge bummer. :frowning:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:

For sure, I'm feeling the same way. Chris, Tom Petty, Gord, all in quick succession. I also found out that an old friend of mine died of a fucking drug overdose in a hotel room a couple weeks ago (and he had a high profile job so it got all over the news - he'd be absolutely mortified). I hadn't seen him in probably 10 years, but I am definitely still feeling that loss as well. Too much death in my life right now. And yeah, as I grimly mentioned in another thread recently... we'd all better mentally/emotionally steel ourselves, but it's only going to get worse from here. We're at that age now. It's a huge bummer. :frowning:
    A cousin killed herself two weeks ago and I felt the same void (and still feel it today). Hugs to all of you fine folks all over the world; life is too short and I'm glad I get to learn from you all.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1