Let's Play Two Fanviews Here

Comments

• groovyfgroovyf Posts: 173
    Saw it in Leeds last night (and went in with trepidation due to sound issues in one of the screens a few weeks ago for the D Gilmour Live In Pompeii screening - a serious lack of bass!). Thankfully, the sound was spot-on and such an amazing experience - next best thing to being there in person. As above, on par with PJ20 for me also - it had a similar kind of feel throughout.
    I'd already heard about the Cubs having some air-time during the movie, but wasn't prepared for how well it integrated into it - such a great story to follow and see the overwhelming joy at the end.
    :: Caesaria - Israel 1995, Wembley 1996, Manchester 2000, Leeds 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Leeds 2014, London 2018 ::
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,486
    Saw it in London - Camden Odeon last night.  What. A. Thrill. It surpassed my expectations in every way. Amazing documentary, great visuals and sound. It really captured the who experience of Cubs / PJ 2016 and Vedder's love of the sport and team.

I was enthralled - and all this coming from a Brit who knows literally NOTHING about baseball!

Yes - Blu Ray? SOLD!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited October 2017
    How much super-8 and 16mm footage is it in the film? Immagine in Cornice was lovely with the bits of film being sprinkled throughout. Same with the Backspacer BTS video.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • It needed more of what all major film releases need more of .  . . full penetration 
  • E-G-A-GE-G-A-G Posts: 228
    It needed more of what all major film releases need more of .  . . full penetration 
    And Dolph Ludgren as a crime fighting scientist.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    The dude that was in GA 4 days early, was that a We Fest chair I saw? It's an annual event here in MN, is why I ask.
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    I saw it last night in Liverpool, and I thought it was spectacular!  I feel the complaints about too much baseball stuff are unfounded. It definitely felt to me like there was more concert footage than baseball stuff, and what was in there was exceptionally well told and matched up perfectly with the music.

I'm a Brit and I know nothing about baseball, but as the film went on I felt myself becoming more and more invested in the Cubs story. Pure joy at the end, it was lovely.

Sound quality was fantastic, and SO LOUD. My ears were ringing when I left the cinema.  Concert footage was unbelievable, easily the best officially released stuff so far.  I can't wait to see the bonus performances on the Blu-ray.  Masters of War will no doubt blow my mind :)

My ONLY small complaint is the way they cut 'Black' short. It's such a great performance that builds and builds, and as Mike is wailing away towards the end it just sharply cuts to Theo Epstein giving us a tour of the Cubs' locker room. It's very jarring, and a little disappointing. But the full performance is in the special features so I can't complain that much.

Overall, I was thrilled and this is definitely my favourite PJ film release. 
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    The Rock said:
    I saw it last night in Liverpool, and I thought it was spectacular!  I feel the complaints about too much baseball stuff are unfounded. It definitely felt to me like there was more concert footage than baseball stuff, and what was in there was exceptionally well told and matched up perfectly with the music.

I'm a Brit and I know nothing about baseball, but as the film went on I felt myself becoming more and more invested in the Cubs story. Pure joy at the end, it was lovely.

Sound quality was fantastic, and SO LOUD. My ears were ringing when I left the cinema.  Concert footage was unbelievable, easily the best officially released stuff so far.  I can't wait to see the bonus performances on the Blu-ray.  Masters of War will no doubt blow my mind :)

My ONLY small complaint is the way they cut 'Black' short. It's such a great performance that builds and builds, and as Mike is wailing away towards the end it just sharply cuts to Theo Epstein giving us a tour of the Cubs' locker room. It's very jarring, and a little disappointing. But the full performance is in the special features so I can't complain that much.

Overall, I was thrilled and this is definitely my favourite PJ film release. 
    I agree, the review about how it wasn't what they thought it would be was just the opposite for me.  I thought it blended the two things perfectly.

I felt like I was at a concert, down to the people leaving the theater to go to the bathroom (which I thought was odd).
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Saw this last night and really liked it, especially how the baseball clips were interspersed with the concert clips. Plus the old footage of Ed in 1992 hanging around Wrigley long before he ever thought about actually playing there are a nice bonus.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • StoveStove Posts: 310
    How much super-8 and 16mm footage is it in the film? Immagine in Cornice was lovely with the bits of film being sprinkled throughout. Same with the Backspacer BTS video.
    Its less so in the vers thats been released. Possibly more in the dvd/blu-ray? I feel it lending more to Immagine b/c you have the beautiful vistas of Italy, where as with this you are in only one location. But you can see Danny shooting on film cameras throughout.
    SSH
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Hey here's an idea...don't show up hammered.  Nobody likes it.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I thought Stone playing some Steely Dan was pretty awesome.
  • VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    edited October 2017
    saw it at showcase in Peterborough last night, sadly no advertising anywhere outside or inside the cinema for it, not even a mention on their main board.
    Have to say it was the quickest 2 hours that I can recall.
    Loved every single thing about it, a perfect balance of the tale about the cubs and plenty of great wrigley footage.
    As someone else said the sound was pretty loud, im glad to say.
    The other thing that made me have a little party in my heart was the footage of the fans. Made me want to be back amongst it pretty damn soon.
    As for buying it when its released....its a cert.
    London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    Saw in Odean, Sheffield. Sound was awesome and knew PJ wouldn't fail with a top documentary. Clinch did a great job putting this together. Loved the blend of Wrigley shows and the story of Ed and Cubs. Loved Last Exit. Not many there but one's who were could tell obviously had a passion for the band, as there were no promo or anything just as someone else said above in UK, so no other way of finding out about it. Probably still prefer PJ20 though, just as it covered the history of the band, and I don't really like Baseball, but having said that still loved every minute of it, the passion and unseen footage and will definitely get it when it's out! 
  • Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    The dude that was in GA 4 days early, was that a We Fest chair I saw? It's an annual event here in MN, is why I ask.

I think I saw some "Fargo, ND" references on some of his gear, so it would seem he's from that part of the country; I'd say if you saw it, it's likely what it was.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    I saw it at the premiere at Metro last week (Thanks 10c), and saw it again last night at my local theater. I really enjoyed the film. Clinch did a great job with it. The concert footage is outstanding! Seeing the rooftop stuff was great. I am a White Sox fan, so I really didn't care about the Cubs stuff. But, I do respect the story of the journey that Ed and Cubs fans have been through on the way to seeing them win a title. During those parts of the movie, I thought a lot about my journey as a White Sox fan and brought back a lot of great memories of the ride I was on in 2005. Seeing it a second time also helped me think about the song choices and how they fit into the story. I can't wait for the Blu Ray to see all of the extra footage!

And, I can't believe no one has mentioned the footage of Jeff totally biting it during Alive. :lol:
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • StoveStove Posts: 310
    Tiki said:
    Hey here's an idea...don't show up hammered.  Nobody likes it.
    People were like "ohh its like a concert so I can be on my phone and be drunk and its okay cause Im drunk...did I mention I was druuuunnkkk?!?!"
    SSH
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    It needed more of what all major film releases need more of .  . . full penetration 
    Yep, waiting for the unrated version.
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
    Tonight's the night in Calgary!!woooooh
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • Just got back from seeing it tonight.  Theatre was 3/4 full most wearing PJ gear (myself included).  Sound was loud which was really impressive for the songs.  It felt like you were there. It was funny a few times when a voice cut in towards the end of the song sometimes it was louder and it sounded like someone was shouting at you so it made you jump a few times. 

Great mix of baseball and music.  Just the right amount. If there was more baseball added the songs would've have seemed oddly out of place. Glad Gleason made the cut. Go seemed to come and of nowhere and smack you around, I didn't know whether to stand up and bounce or remain seated.
  • nicolenicole Posts: 59
    Just saw the movie in Winnipeg. The show was sold out and full of fans in PJ gear, myself and my kids included. What a great movie, many moments brought tears to my eyes, especially Release. Wish I'd have been able to go to the Wrigley shows! I knew I was missing out on some
    truly special shows! Made me just wish and hope more for a Canadian tour, it has been far too long since I've been able to see them live! So much heart in this band, and the love us fans have for them is parellelled in the movie with the love Ed has for the Cubs. 

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Just got back from the theatre here in Victoria.  I would say it was 3/4 full.   Not too shabby.   The crowd was pretty reverent.   No assholes or anything.   It was so loud I'm not sure if people were singing along.... :)

It was a pretty good movie.  It looked great on the big screen.   I liked the little bits we got to see of the band hanging out and doing their thing.  The cubs stuff was pretty cool.  I'm not a cubs fan but I don't loathe them either.   I'm a total sucker for sports movies and documentaries so it's right up my alley.

The only thing I wish there was more of, was more songs, and more of Eddie's banter from the shows.  It feels like they missed a little bit of the spirit of the shows but not really including any of his stories.   Other than that, the movie makes me want to go back and enjoy those shows again... Can't believe it it was over a year ago already.
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    kramer73 said:
    I thought Stone playing some Steely Dan was pretty awesome.
    loved it!

how does ev NOT know that song?  its been around as long as he has!  i know he was into punk/hardcore what have you but thats a pretty well known song.. its almost public domain at this point 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • axellaire8axellaire8 Belgium Posts: 222

I saw the movie yesterday in Belgium. I had to lie to my work to see the movie, so I was hoping it would be great, and IT WAS!!!. The sound was awesome. What a chance to see live songs at a theater. Loved the rehearsal on the roof, great time. A soundtrack CD was placed below one of the cinema seats as a gift. Thank you PJ for this wonderful evening. Hope that I see you this summer in real!

1996: Paris/2006: Paris/2007: Werchter/2010: Werchter/2012: Amsterdam 1 and Werchter/2014: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2018: Amsterdam 1&2 and Werchter/2022: Werchter and Amsterdam 2

EV: 2012: Amsterdam/2017: Antwerpen/2019: Bruxelles

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    We saw it last night in Kansas City and absolutely loved it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • BenToadBenToad Posts: 39
    My daughter and I went to see it in London Ontario Canada last night.  It was suppose to be one show only at 7 PM on one screen but what the hell - Let's Play Two! - because the first screen showing sold out so they added a second screen with a 7:05 PM show which was pretty full as well.  Loved the mix of baseball and the concert as well as some of the history of  Pearl Jam, Wrigley, and the Cubs.  The crowd came out of the shows smiling and full of energy. 

My daughter had a big smile on her face when they talked about their big break with U2 as I had just taken her to her first PJ show in 2016, (Toronto 1 - hell of a first show), and we just saw U2 in Detroit a few weeks ago so she felt like she was part of something special as she loved both shows and here they were connected in rock n roll history.

Can't wait for the Blu-Ray.  This should keep me going a little while longer until I can get my next Pearl Jam fix.  Thanks to the Boys, Danny and the whole Pearl Jam family for a great show and movie.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, it was fantastic! I expected it to be good, but not that good.   All of the songs sounded great and were super entertaining to watch, perfect balance of PJ, fan stuff, and Cubs. The part with the dude and Release was awesome. And I find Eddie's almost child-like excitement about and love for the Cubs really touching and heartwarming. Super well-made film. I can't say I'm in love with the shaky camera thing, and perhaps there was a little too much of that at times, but whatever. I give it a 10/10. :)

There weren't many people at all in the VIP theatre (which did not surprise me), but what surprised probably everyone was the fact that there were literally no previews, ads, or even those theatre messages, like turn off your phone, etc, before the movie started. It just went from lights up and blank screen to lights off and movie playing at 7:00 on the dot.... I was there on time, but the majority of the others were not, I assume because they thought they had time to spare during previews and ads. Whoops! Several people missed the first 10 minutes of the film at least.

One weird thing was that there was an Eddie Vedder lookalike at the theatre. The second I saw him I thought "holy cow, this guy must be a psycho fan!" Hair, clothes, style, right down to the green military jacket that was identical to the one Eddie used to wear all the time - anyone would have thought he was making a point of looking exactly like Ed because he's obsessed ..... and then.... he went into a different movie. It was kinda funny. I'm pretty sure he was completely oblivious to this strange coincidence. lol
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    I went to the film in Edmonton last night with my daughters. Theatre was about half full but lots were wearing their PJ gear and I did see some with Cubs gear.

What a great experience! On the big screen you could  really get a sense of the size of the place and the crowd. It must be overwhelming to be in that sea of humanity. The band and Eddie sounded amazing. I really enjoyed the inserts of the personal stories - John, Steve Gleason, their gig at the Metro, the practice on the rooftop at Murphy's etc.. I did shed a tear for John when Release was played. And Given to Fly always makes the hair on my neck stand up :) There was just the right amount of baseball in it. I would have like to see Stone and Matt with individual comments, similar to Jeff and Mike.

I wish there was more buzz about this around here - I didn't even see a movie poster up. Danny Clinch and his camera operators did a great job producing a terrific depiction of a band and their community of fans at their very best.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    PJ_Soul said:

There weren't many people at all in the VIP theatre (which did not surprise me at all), but what surprised probably everyone was the fact that there were literally no previews, ads, or even those theatre messages, like turn off your phone, etc, before the movie started. It just went from lights up and blank screen to lights off and movie playing at 7:00 on the dot.... I was there on time, but the majority of the others were not, I assume because they thought they had time to spare during previews and ads. Whoops! Several people missed the first 10 minutes of the film at least.

I thought the no ads/trailers thing was amazing.  Movies have gotten pretty bad now where it feels like 5 to 10 minutes of commercials, then 5 to 10 minutes of trailers before you get to watch the movie you paid for.   This one (as you said) had nothing.  It went straight into the film.   It's like going to see a band that doesn't have an opener :)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There weren't many people at all in the VIP theatre (which did not surprise me at all), but what surprised probably everyone was the fact that there were literally no previews, ads, or even those theatre messages, like turn off your phone, etc, before the movie started. It just went from lights up and blank screen to lights off and movie playing at 7:00 on the dot.... I was there on time, but the majority of the others were not, I assume because they thought they had time to spare during previews and ads. Whoops! Several people missed the first 10 minutes of the film at least.

I thought the no ads/trailers thing was amazing.  Movies have gotten pretty bad now where it feels like 5 to 10 minutes of commercials, then 5 to 10 minutes of trailers before you get to watch the movie you paid for.   This one (as you said) had nothing.  It went straight into the film.   It's like going to see a band that doesn't have an opener :)
    Yes, I really liked it too! It's just that they maybe need a warning about it somewhere so that people don't miss the beginning. Or do a "the show will start in 5 minutes" call or something, I dunno.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata