Jason Isbell

Comments

• If you like Heartbreaker, Jacksonville City Nights and the Whiskeytown albums should be your type as well. Cold Roses is my personal favorite. That's pretty much a perfect album. 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Just was at his pbs acl taping a few weeks ago- his wife the fiddle player was taped right before him.  He was great, made me a fan for sure!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Seeing him tonight in Tucson. Can’t wait! Heard he’s phenomenal live. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    If you like Heartbreaker, Jacksonville City Nights and the Whiskeytown albums should be your type as well. Cold Roses is my personal favorite. That's pretty much a perfect album. 
    Cool, I'll check it out.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    Just was at his pbs acl taping a few weeks ago- his wife the fiddle player was taped right before him.  He was great, made me a fan for sure!
    I can't wait for this to air!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Just was at his pbs acl taping a few weeks ago- his wife the fiddle player was taped right before him.  He was great, made me a fan for sure!
    Lucky! I watched the streaming online but fell asleep during Jason's set. Boo. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • DC29940 said:
    How was it? Was Amanda with him? I'm seeing him next week and I hope she plays. I prefer his band with her in it.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    DC29940 said:
    How was it? Was Amanda with him? I'm seeing him next week and I hope she plays. I prefer his band with her in it.
    Same here & I love her solo stuff as well. One of the best shows I saw last year was Amanda Shires with Colter Wall opening
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    DC29940 said:
    It was incredible! Amanda was there and the whole band is just so talented and tight, but the two of them play so well together and play off each other the whole show. It still would have been a great show if she wasn't there, but her presence brought it to another level.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • mfc2006 said:
    DC29940 said:
    Same here & I love her solo stuff as well. One of the best shows I saw last year was Amanda Shires with Colter Wall opening
    I didn't realize just how funny she was until I watched the ACL taping. 
  • DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    It was incredible! Amanda was there and the whole band is just so talented and tight, but the two of them play so well together and play off each other the whole show. It still would have been a great show if she wasn't there, but her presence brought it to another level.
    Their interactions, and her interactions with other band members, make the show for me. Plus certain songs like Cover Me Up just mean so much more when she sings with him.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    mfc2006 said:
    DC29940 said:
    Did the stream have the fuckups? He started a couple songs and then stopped and was like "whoops, that wasn't right." And "good thing this is a taping" sort of stuff.  He was a cool cat.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    Their interactions, and her interactions with other band members, make the show for me. Plus certain songs like Cover Me Up just mean so much more when she sings with him.
    Absolutely agree. They closed with “If We Were Vampires” and it was a beautiful and emotional moment. That song and those lyrics are just so heartachingly beautiful. For him to sing it with her and then grab her hand and walk off stage was beautiful.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • mfc2006 said:
    DC29940 said:
    Did the stream have the fuckups? He started a couple songs and then stopped and was like "whoops, that wasn't right." And "good thing this is a taping" sort of stuff.  He was a cool cat.
    I didn't see Jason's set but Amanda had some kind of screw up at the beginning of her set that was shown.
  • DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    Absolutely agree. They closed with “If We Were Vampires” and it was a beautiful and emotional moment. That song and those lyrics are just so heartachingly beautiful. For him to sing it with her and then grab her hand and walk off stage was beautiful.
    Not to sound too cheesy but I am so glad they found each other and that Jason has changed his life for the better. And also that he's so vocal about his demons both in interviews and his music. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    Not to sound too cheesy but I am so glad they found each other and that Jason has changed his life for the better. And also that he's so vocal about his demons both in interviews and his music. 
    Agreed
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    mfc2006 said:
    DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    DC29940 said:
    Agreed
    Life is a beautiful fucked up journey at times.... Jason Isbell writes about it pretty damn good. Love old school DBT but glad he made his own way...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAJs3VYQ8rs

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit Perform "If We Were Vampires"

www.RLMcDaniel.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjbxlB_GwLo

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit Perform "Cumberland Gap"

www.RLMcDaniel.com

• thanks for posting those clips here
    huge fan of those 2 clips they did on jimmy. 2 ends of the spectrum for me. such great choicesx10
  • Had tickets for The Bomb Factory show last night that got postponed because Jimbo Hart's father passed away.  Was disappointed, but it got rescheduled for a date that works for us in January.  Silver lining...Amanda Shires has a festival gig in TN today, so not sure she would have been there last night anyway - hopefully she will be able to make the January makeup date.

Second silver lining:  Frank Turner, the opener, put together a last minute show at a bar in Deep Ellum, and that show was absolutely incredible - I posted a mini review in the Frank Turner thread.
  • Hey folks, I got 2 tickets to the Tuesday oct10 show at the ryman im not going to be able to attend.  Anyone interested at face value?  
    crowes74 said:
    Hey folks, I got 2 tickets to the Tuesday oct10 show at the ryman im not going to be able to attend.  Anyone interested at face value?  
    damn I wish I lived a lot closer
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• No Amanda Saturday night, which was disappointing. But I got to hear Danko/Manuel which is my favorite DBT song, so I was pretty happy. Also, this was my 2nd time seeing Frank Turner and he was better than I had remembered. What a great entertainer!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    As I might have mentioned earlier, I'm way late to the Isbell game. Saw him for the first time a little over a week ago. I went in prepared to be blown away and the show somehow exceeded my expectations. 
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,930
    No Amanda Saturday night, which was disappointing. But I got to hear Danko/Manuel which is my favorite DBT song, so I was pretty happy. Also, this was my 2nd time seeing Frank Turner and he was better than I had remembered. What a great entertainer!
    SO jealous! I ran into Jimbo on the street before the Toronto show and requested it, but to no avail. It's also my favourite DBT song, and Jason Isbell wails on slide guitar for it usually.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I saw Ryan Adams and Jason do Danko/Manuel about five years ago and it's a top five concert memory for me in my life. 
  • benjs said:
    No Amanda Saturday night, which was disappointing. But I got to hear Danko/Manuel which is my favorite DBT song, so I was pretty happy. Also, this was my 2nd time seeing Frank Turner and he was better than I had remembered. What a great entertainer!
    SO jealous! I ran into Jimbo on the street before the Toronto show and requested it, but to no avail. It's also my favourite DBT song, and Jason Isbell wails on slide guitar for it usually.
    Every show I wait and wait for it. Finally I was rewarded!
  • I saw Ryan Adams and Jason do Danko/Manuel about five years ago and it's a top five concert memory for me in my life. 
    Searching you tube...
  • P-Town-P-Jam-FanP-Town-P-Jam-Fan Posts: 895
    edited October 2017
    Saw Isbell in Portland on Sept 11th for the second time.  Loved the show of course.  They also stopped in for a local radio hit earlier in the day with just Jason Isbell and Sadler Vader playing acoustically.  I loved watching it as its a little different than most of the full band stuff.  Te acoustic jam out on Last of My Kind was fabulous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkNaSB6UlYA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7PFWuCSBu4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgO6Jp6LFEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJ4YN-6vww

Enjoy!
    Post edited by P-Town-P-Jam-Fan on
    Gorge