Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    MayDay10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Anyone else really dislike the Dark Tower series? I tried it, but I couldn't even get through the first book. To me it's fantasy combined with western... the only two fiction genres that I specifically don't enjoy, lol. I really wanted to like it, because I know all about how it has links to the rest of SK's books, but I couldn't do it. I find reading the grocery store weekly flyer more fun. :lol: Anyway, I'm wondering if this unfortunate dislike of the books will allow me to enjoy the new movie more than those who love the books? I will be obvious to whatever isn't the same as the book. I do love the actors in it.
    The first book is a difficult read.  I struggled through it the first time.  You have to remember, this was basically a series of essays by a very young and unpolished Stephen King.  

The second book is where it gets into King's trademark storytelling groove.  I think the story takes off.   It loses a lot of that abstract element (as much of the story takes place in NYC).

Well, I actually gave The Waste Lands an attempt a couple years later because someone randomly gave it to me as a gift. I couldn't get through that either. I had to quite maybe 25% of the way in. I just couldn't stand the whole tone/mood/whatever of it. So yeah, I feel pretty confident that this series just isn't for me at all.
    This surprises me a bit because you have good taste and I feel like this series is the clearest and most adept that his voice is in anything I've read from him.
    It feels almost like Midworld is a real place and he's been there, he's met the  last gunslinger.
    Hell, he makes me feel like I've been there!

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Did you not feel that he was creating a convincing story, or did you feel like it was a convincing story that you didn't want to be in?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I am a HUGE SK fan, and this series is the only thing he's ever written that I couldn't read. So it surprises me a bit too, lol.
    It really didn't have anything to do with the story itself or the quality of writing or SK's voice, really. It was the tone and feel of the story that I just couldn't take for some reason. I simply could not get into the setting and what felt like a different genre to me (fantasy/western). Basically, it really irritated me and I couldn't shake that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am a HUGE SK fan, and this series is the only thing he's ever written that I couldn't read. So it surprises me a bit too, lol.
    It really didn't have anything to do with the story itself or the quality of writing or SK's voice, really. It was the tone and feel of the story that I just couldn't take for some reason. I simply could not get into the setting and what felt like a different genre to me (fantasy/western). Basically, it really irritated me and I couldn't shake that.
    I love it lol

I absolutely love that the world has moved on.  It's just great...western, fantasy, and sci-fi all rolled up?  Shit yeah!

I don't know if you knew this, but King gets all "meta" later in the story, and he does it very skillfully and well.
    That plus the way he talks about writing it... like I said, it's like it's a real place and I've been there in another life.  It calls out, it feels real.
     I never felt the same way about any other world that I do about Midworld.
    edited June 2017
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love it lol

I absolutely love that the world has moved on.  It's just great...western, fantasy, and sci-fi all rolled up?  Shit yeah!

I don't know if you knew this, but King gets all "meta" later in the story, and he does it very skillfully and well.
    That plus the way he talks about writing it... like I said, it's like it's a real place and I've been there in another life.  It calls out, it feels real.
    I'm fully versed on the series, as much as one can be without reading it, of course. Yep, the western, fantasy, and sci-fi rolled into one part is 100% of the reason I don't like it. Those literary genres really don't suit me. I'm basically completely repelled by them, almost like an allergic reaction, lol (well, not sci-fi alone so much, but the other two factor - blech!!). I wish I liked it - I totally understand how important the series is to the "SK world". But no. Can't do it. Oh well! Plenty of other SK books to read, luckily. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love it lol

I'm fully versed on the series, as much as one can be without reading it, of course. Yep, the western, fantasy, and sci-fi rolled into one part is 100% of the reason I don't like it. Those literary genres really don't suit me. I'm basically completely repelled by them, almost like an allergic reaction, lol (well, not sci-fi alone so much, but the other two factor - blech!!). I wish I liked it - I totally understand how important the series is to the "SK world". But no. Can't do it. Oh well! Plenty of other SK books to read, luckily. :)
    So no Tolkien either???
    What about A Song of Ice and Fire?? 

edited June 2017
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love it lol

So no Tolkien either???

Oh, I HATE reading Tolkien! As a dedicated Led Zeppelin fan, I did trudge through the LOTR trilogy, but it was like absolute torture, and took me over 6 months to read. :lol: Great movies though. :)
    I can't tolerate Game of Thrones either. Not even the show.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love it lol

So no Tolkien either???

Oh, I HATE reading Tolkien! As a dedicated Led Zeppelin fan, I did trudge through the LOTR trilogy, but it was like absolute torture, and took me over 6 months to read. :lol: Great movies though. :)
    Ok, I respectfully withdraw my approval of your taste lol
    Tolkien is universally appreciated and admired for a reason.
    edited June 2017
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love it lol

So no Tolkien either???

Whoa there. I didn't say I don't respect and admire Tolkien. I simply don't like reading him. I still completely acknowledge his genius. I've got an English Lit degree. I wouldn't have been able to manage that if I had to actually enjoy an author's work in order to understand the depth or skill or passion behind their writing. Hell, Tolkien inspired so much of Zeppelin's work - just that alone puts Tolkien well into the lit masters zone, haha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love it lol

So no Tolkien either???

Whoa there. I didn't say I don't respect and admire Tolkien. I simply don't like reading him. I still completely acknowledge his genius. I've got an English Lit degree. I wouldn't have been able to manage that if I had to actually enjoy an author's work in order to understand the depth or skill or passion behind their writing. Hell, Tolkien inspired so much of Zeppelin's work - just that alone puts Tolkien well into the lit masters zone, haha.
    Ok, temporary approval reinstated, pending completion of probationary period.
    :wink:
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    I want to give this a fair chance, but it's only 90 minutes and it looks like it's going to cover material from all over the series.
    I'm not sure about it.
    ^^I don't have high hopes too but at the same time can't wait to see Roland on screen..
    and a tv-series coming on 2018..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Well apparently the Dark Tower is getting pretty bad reviews which kinda sucks.  I was looking forward to seeing it (still will).  I never read this book so maybe that's why the reviews are bad?  The trailer looked good.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    yeah, i have near zero excitement for it.
    I'm excited for it, I'm letting all expectations fall away and I'm not even considering it a Dark Tower movie.
    It's a Hollywood thrill ride based on some of the Dark Tower lore.
    With THAT expectation, I think it will be fun.

I enjoy The Hobbit movies now because I shifted my thoughts in that direction early.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Every time I see this thread, I read the title in "Good Ol' JR" Jim Ross' voice.
    Saw the Dark Tower last night..bad, very..even if you are a hardcore fan..
    hope ''It'' will be better
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

edited August 2017
    23scidoo said:
    I figured it would probably be better for non-fans. I'm a really big SK fan, but not a Dark Tower fan at all (I tried to read a couple of them, but gave up quickly - I just couldn't get into the whole setting/tone), so my mind is very open to this movie. I don't care how the story relates to the books even a little bit. Is it a terrible movie for someone who, say, has never even heard of The Dark Tower before? If so, why?
    One thing I think before even seeing it is that Matthew McConnaghy (or however you spell it) seems like a really excellent casting choice for playing the Dark Man character in general. I.e. if he played the Dark Man in a good remake of The Stand or something (as opposed to that SHITTY made for TV movie of that book), I think that would be fantastic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    23scidoo said:
    I figured it would probably be better for non-fans. I'm a big SK fan, but not a Dark Tower fan at all, so my mind is very open to this movie. I don't care how the story relates to the books even a little bit. Is it a terrible movie for someone who, say, has never even heard of The Dark Tower before? If so, why?
    Yeah, I'm still optimistic because I'm not expecting anything true to the books or super sweet.
    I'm expecting a well-acted sci-fi action romp.
    ^^I went to the movie with a firend who had no idea about the Dark Tower..he like it just as he saw it..an action movie..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

this is pretty sweet.  one of my friends is an artist and he got one of his poster prints for fandango for the movie IT! 

No automatic alt text available

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    ^^Awesome!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

this is pretty sweet.  one of my friends is an artist and he got one of his poster prints for fandango for the movie IT! 

http://flix.gr/news/it-artwork.html
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited September 2017
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/stephen-king-movies-rank-42-films-based-works-223033347.html

interesting list I guess, at least as a retrospective.  Seems like the writer felt the need to take too many h0t t4k3s.  really bad rankings for the most part, but Im a sucker to read rankings.  Also some omissions: The Stand, Desperation, and Salems Lot come to mind

Post edited by MayDay10 on
    23scidoo said:

http://flix.gr/news/it-artwork.html
    those are pretty awesome also!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA