Billy Strings covers In Hiding

HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
Billy Strings covers Pearl Jam's In Hiding at Red Wing Roots Music Festival. This is how you do a cover song, folks!

https://archive.org/details/BS2017-07-15.bs2017-07-15flac16mg21/bs2017-07-15t08.flac

Comments

• PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2017
    This is awesome.  I have a few country people that I will play this for in the background at work tomorrow that would not know who this singer is or that it was a cover. But I would be damn sure they would like this song. This is refreshing.  

edit - of course I will rub it in and say it was a cover of Pearl Jam.  I can see the eyerolls now.  Ha, ha

Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • this is such a great cover and an excellent choice of song to cover!
    =love everything about this!
    thanks for posting this!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    What a great cover!  Thanks for finding this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • SCHSCH Easton CT Posts: 59
    excellent!
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    SCH said:
    excellent
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    So it just happened that Billy Strings was in Pittsburgh this past weekend.  I went up for a food truck festival in which Leftover Salmon was playing - and lo & behold Billy Strings came out and joined them for a couple songs.  He later played a free show at The Rex so I went and got pretty close to the stage.  He noticed I was wearing a Pearl Jam shirt and played In Hiding three songs into the set.  I'm pretty sure I was the only one in there who knew the words.

And let me tell ya, that kid is a freakin wizard on guitar!!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,710
    I like that a lot
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • edoconedocon Posts: 300
    I guess I'm in the minority. I do not like bluegrass In Hiding.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    So it just happened that Billy Strings was in Pittsburgh this past weekend.  I went up for a food truck festival in which Leftover Salmon was playing - and lo & behold Billy Strings came out and joined them for a couple songs.  He later played a free show at The Rex so I went and got pretty close to the stage.  He noticed I was wearing a Pearl Jam shirt and played In Hiding three songs into the set.  I'm pretty sure I was the only one in there who knew the words.

And let me tell ya, that kid is a freakin wizard on guitar!!
    That's awesome! =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    love this band...i need to see him/them

• reedrothchildreedrothchild Posts: 538
    Bill string is indeed awesome.  He's blown me away every time I've seen him.  Love his In Hiding cover.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    edocon said:
    I guess I'm even more in the minority- I do not like bluegrass.
    mdgsolo said:
    edocon said:
    I guess I'm even more in the minority- I do not like bluegrass.
    I can't stand it.  We have a god damn bluegrass festival in town every year (DelFest) and I swear to god nobody in the entire county listens to anything other than fucking bluegrass. Ever.  Ten years ago you'd be hard-pressed to find a single fan, now suddenly everyone loves it.

Billy kicks ass though! Only artist I'll listen to.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    It’s an interesting interpretation but I’m not feeling it. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    Enjoying it. Well done 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I like it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    I can't stand it.  We have a god damn bluegrass festival in town every year (DelFest) and I swear to god nobody in the entire county listens to anything other than fucking bluegrass. Ever.  Ten years ago you'd be hard-pressed to find a single fan, now suddenly everyone loves it.

i wont be able to convince everyone and im a guitar picking freak for sure but i really really dig sam bush(new grass revival) and greensky bluegrass  :)
    those 2 bands are not traditional bluegrass and are incredible ++
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsJIB6aBhI
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    edited May 2019
    This isnt my thing, but its an interesting take on it.   Guy seems like a fan.   I'm all in favor of other bands covering PJ just to introduce them.  If for no other reason than to get them to stop listening to country or bluegrass.  :)

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.

i wont be able to convince everyone and im a guitar picking freak for sure but i really really dig sam bush(new grass revival) and greensky bluegrass  :)
    those 2 bands are not traditional bluegrass and are incredible ++
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsJIB6aBhI
    Sam is at DelFest this year.  I think he's been there a couple times.  Greensky was there a couple years ago if I recall correctly.  I have a couple friends that pretty much follow them anywhere in the northeast.
    I've only gone to DelFest twice.  The first time was 2015 and that was only to see my friends' band when they were invited to perform on one of the side stages.  I went last year to see Billy Strings' late night show and also signed up to volunteer 2 shifts at one of the beer tents.  I did catch Del's band at the end of my Sunday shift but really had no interest in any of the music otherwise.
    I have seen The Infamous Stringdusters.  It was a good show but just not my style of music and nothing I would seek out.