The National

Comments

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    Another song from the new album.....sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71xmrULJ-ms
    nice, actually a little better than their other song.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    They are a good band - I have seen them 2 times - once in Chicago during the boxer tour and once in Europe for the Trouble will find me tour.  They will tour plenty behind a new album.  You need to catch them At least one time during your concert going career. 
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^ I like that - very soothing. I'm disappointed to be missing their upcoming show. Another one lost to the fucking QE Theatre.

Yeah, very cool song.  They're playing this opera house in Chicago for 2 shows in December....I struck out on tickets when they went on sale but will prob pick some up at some point.  Just recently really got into these guys....can't wait to check them out live.
    They are supposedly super amazing live - they are regularly listed as one of the top 10 live performers among current bands. I have seen them once before, but they were at a really unfortunate venue then too, so it wasn't so great because of that. Apparently The National exclusively books the worst of the worst venues when they come to Vancouver, lol. It sucks.
    I would have preferred two nights at the Orpheum or the Commodore but I'll take two either way!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Pre ordered the new LP & hope they add a KC date!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^ I like that - very soothing. I'm disappointed to be missing their upcoming show. Another one lost to the fucking QE Theatre.

Yeah, very cool song.  They're playing this opera house in Chicago for 2 shows in December....I struck out on tickets when they went on sale but will prob pick some up at some point.  Just recently really got into these guys....can't wait to check them out live.
    They are supposedly super amazing live - they are regularly listed as one of the top 10 live performers among current bands. I have seen them once before, but they were at a really unfortunate venue then too, so it wasn't so great because of that. Apparently The National exclusively books the worst of the worst venues when they come to Vancouver, lol. It sucks.
    PJ Soul what is the problem with the QE? I have never had an issue there and the sound from what I remember has been good. Also the outdoor show at the PNE the last time they were here was epic in the rain! I think you may regret not going in December, but probably you have good reasons for avoiding the QE.
    This is the only band I have travelled to see other then PJ, they are that good live.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Great band live.  They don't change up their set enough for me to want to see them multiple times on a tour.  Twice tops. 
    Great band live.  They don't change up their set enough for me to want to see them multiple times on a tour.  Twice tops. 
    Yeah this tour I'm only going to both vancouver shows, which I suspect they will at least play five songs different. Most likely more on back to back nights 
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    The National's Boxer is Vinyl Me, Please's Record of the Month for August! If you're interested in getting it on special edition grey vinyl with a 7" of tracks from the new album Sleep Well Beastyou can sign up here and receive a $10 VMP store credit towards your subscription: http://fbuy.me/eM55k

Excited for this one!!!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited July 2017
    chitty said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ Soul what is the problem with the QE? I have never had an issue there and the sound from what I remember has been good. Also the outdoor show at the PNE the last time they were here was epic in the rain! I think you may regret not going in December, but probably you have good reasons for avoiding the QE.
    This is the only band I have travelled to see other then PJ, they are that good live.
    I have a great reason to avoid the QE. I have seen many shows there, and the sound has been so bad in more recent years that it was a waste of money. I do and will regret that I'm missing the National, and all the other bands I want to see but who play the QE. However, I will not regret my boycott of the QE. I had the mindset you're suggesting for a long time. I kept thinking that surely THIS time the sound will be okay. And I got burned every single time for the last 2 or 3 years when I kept trying. So even if the sound happens to be okay, I will still feel fine because the QE simply doesn't deserve my patronage. FWIW, I saw a few people claiming that the sound way okay at even the worst of the worst QE shows that I saw, and the fact that they sounded awful was confirmed by some others, so... I don't know what to make of that. I don't know what the explanation for this rotten sound is, but I once heard that the QE has some kind of union situation in place where they force the bands to use some of their own staff for sound setup or something. I have no idea if this is true, but if so, that could be the problem. Otherwise I suppose it would just have to do with the acoustics of the building. Although I've also seen an Opera and a musical there, and both of those sounded okay. It's just rock shows that suck in my experience.

As for their last Vancouver show at the PNE Amphitheatre..... yeah, I didn't think that show was epic. Maybe if I'd been closer to the stage I would have had a much different experience, but back where I was, it wasn't horrible, but it definitely wasn't great either. The was a touch of "blah" to it for the folks at the back of the floor. There wasn't much "vibe" back there, and the crowd wasn't very good. I didn't mind the rain at all and it didn't sound horrible or anything, but there also wasn't any "oomph" or whatever that ineffable quality is that makes a show really great. Perhaps the oomph drifted away into the sky before it hit us in the back half of the venue. The fact that I had really high expectations probably didn't help. I did, however, enjoy when he crowd surfed and got flipped upside down with his legs sticking up in the air while still singing and then started giggling, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I've seen the National 13 times since 2006. They never disappoint and always put on a killer show. Gonna try to go to at least one of the Chicago shows. Maybe both
    This will be my first and second time and I'm really stoked and curious to see how it's presented especially over the two nights.
    Hiw much will the setlist change between the two nights?
    I saw MMJ in Seattle for two nights and they didn't play the same song twice.
    Hoping for the same treatment!

• derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

We scored Row A seats in the balcony for the show at the Masonic Temple in Detroit!!
    Is it October yet?? :wink:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Have an extra pair of lower level for the Detroit show at face value if anyone is looking....thanks
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
    RobbyD462 said:
    This will be my first and second time and I'm really stoked and curious to see how it's presented especially over the two nights.

I am pretty positive yoi will get minimum half the show the same, especially considering they are touring a new album at that time. Plus they will play 3-4 songs such as Terrible Love, Fake Empire and Bloodbuzz during both shows. After that I expect and hope for at least ten songs different per night. If I get that in Van, I will be ecstatic and trust me, if you love this band, seeing them twice will not disappoint even with the show being half the same.
    chitty said:
    RobbyD462 said:

I am pretty positive yoi will get minimum half the show the same, especially considering they are touring a new album at that time. Plus they will play 3-4 songs such as Terrible Love, Fake Empire and Bloodbuzz during both shows. After that I expect and hope for at least ten songs different per night. If I get that in Van, I will be ecstatic and trust me, if you love this band, seeing them twice will not disappoint even with the show being half the same.
    Nice, looking forward to Secret Meeting too:)

I'd say at most you may get 3-4 songs that are different. I've seen a lot of 2 night runs from them, and for the most part their shows stay the same. 
  • CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 418
    edited August 2017
    Another song 'Carin at the Liquor Store' released from the new album.  All three of the singles are incredible in my opinion... I haven't been this excited for a new album in ages!  This band is so consistently awesome... I love absolutely everything they have put out since Alligator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEe_yCVLQSc

Post edited by CornishMan on
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    Song is GREAT
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Song is GREAT
    It sure is.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 831
    Can't stop listening to them lately.  Very excited for new album and 2 shows in December.

Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
    Resisting listening to these songs until the full album is released. Really looking forward to it
    I am so pumped for this album. What we've heard so far is just incredible. 

Also heard Turtleneck off the live EP and it's amazing. Reminds me of Abel.
    Live EP? 

Turtleneck is is the one song that gives me pause. Every live version version has really turned me off. 
    Live EP? 

Turtleneck is is the one song that gives me pause. Every live version version has really turned me off. 
    Came with a magazine. Believe it's a German one

https://www.musikexpress.de/850313-850313/

1. Guilty Party (Paris 6/22/17)
    2. Turtleneck (Paris 6/22/17)
    3. Don't Swallow the Cap (Berlin 11/4/13)
    4. Slipped (Austin 4/22/14)
    5. Terrible Love (6/11/14)
    Gotta track down a DL of that. 
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I just saw one, Tim. Let me see if I can find it again. 
    I found it. thx. 

(The Reddit discussion board for the band).

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    New single and video for Day I Die is up. It's a pretty solid tune and an amazing video. Very triply. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    New single and video for Day I Die is up. It's a pretty solid tune and an amazing video. Very triply. 

Another really good song.  Can't wait for this album.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    I know they are playing philly in a few months but they added a show next week Sept. 5 for the album

SOLD OUT.
    World Cafe and NPR Music present a First Listen Live with ...
    The National at Union Transfer

UT Newsletter: http://ticketf.ly/1RqX4bJ Event Feed: http://on.fb.me/1Xjri0B..

Damn might have to try and find a ticket somewhere for this. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly