psst....7/10/17

Comments

• Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    my2hands said:
    Reading through this thread i have no idea why people would want the digital files on this LP

Probably the same people that will never open it

You're probably right.  In 3 years we'll be seeing plenty of posts: For Sale - Vault 7 Soldier Field - $250
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    10c perfectly explains why it isn't complete and some STILL demand it be complete. Sad ... but expected. 

The show was recorded 22 years ago. We're lucky to have a multitrack of anything. 

I'll also be buying the LP and CD of this. 
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited July 2017
    Horse2345 said:
    Hey 10c maybe call up Metallica and get some shipping tips. New live 3lp set, $39.99 and $17 shipping to Canada!
    Absolutely! Not to side-track, but that record sounds phenomenal, too. $17 shipping to Canada... Let's get this done, team!  =)
    I concur it does sound incredible and shipping was reasonable.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• bwick21bwick21 Posts: 104
    so much for having the only "official" release of this show. http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=752 

although it will be nice to have more of the songs on the Vault release
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    bwick21 said:
    so much for having the only "official" release of this show. http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=752 

Completely worthless now.  I would be happy to take it off your hands!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    While my true wish was for Vault 7 to be a post-2002 show, this is pretty sweet because now I can take the original minty promo one off my "vinyl I need" list. And that's great, because it was too hard to find the real deal, and even if I did, it would be too expensive..... Even more expensive than Vault 7 is, with it's $48 USD intl shipping. :tired_face:
    Agreed.  This was the only one left on my "list" and I had no hopes of ever getting it.  This will be a perfectly acceptable, official replacement.
  • wgwg Posts: 411
    So...does this mean that the Benny is on the table? If they are repressing Soldier Field.

just saying.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    wg said:
    So...does this mean that the Benny is on the table? If they are repressing Soldier Field.

just saying.
    Anything is possible.
  • bwick21bwick21 Posts: 104
    CM189191 said:
    bwick21 said:

It took me a long time track down a real one that was still sealed so I think I'll hang on to it.  Thanks for offering to help me thin out some of my more worthless records  =)
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    wg said:

just saying.
    I doubt it.  The original Soldier Field is an anomaly.  It wasn't really put out by the band or the record label.  It was promo pressing done by Vintage Vinyl (which I guess they got some kind of authorization for?) which kind of made it semi-official, but the sound quality is just as bad as all the circulation bootlegs.  All sourced from the same tinny FM radio broadcast.   

I don't really think Vault 7 is a repress of the promo vinyl.  It's a new beast.

Maybe if someone starts to bootleg the benaroya vinyl?  To be honest, given how much those boxes go for, i'm extremely surprised no one's bootlegged them yet.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Are the bootleggers why we have to wait for the cd/digital release? I couldn't care less about vinyl, I just want to hear the show in a pro mix form. How will the encore songs sound compared to the rest of the mix? Will there be a noticeable difference? So much confusion surrounding this, but it will be nice to hear this show sound better than the bootlegs we've been listening to for years. At least we'll be able to sample it on livedownloads.com before buying. In December or January...  :|

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    my2hands said:
    THANK YOU for not putting the digital tracks on wax

Quality > Quantity
    Umm, multi-track probably indicates that the source is still digital. The difference is that they can't mix the non-multi-track tracks, so those tracks will sound different from the mixed ones.

@PJ_Soul The newsletter email mentions that Soldier Field "was widely bootlegged" but does not indicate that it's not the full show. Could this be where you got the impression that it was the full show? I didn't realize it wasn't the full show on wax until I started reading this thread.
  • scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    wg said:

just saying.
    If they start bootlegging it, I would say yes.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    bwick21 said:
    CM189191 said:
    bwick21 said:

It took me a long time track down a real one that was still sealed so I think I'll hang on to it.  Thanks for offering to help me thin out some of my more worthless records  =)
    well, let me know if you change your mind - offer still stands
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Are the bootleggers why we have to wait for the cd/digital release? I couldn't care less about vinyl, I just want to hear the show in a pro mix form. How will the encore songs sound compared to the rest of the mix? Will there be a noticeable difference? So much confusion surrounding this, but it will be nice to hear this show sound better than the bootlegs we've been listening to for years. At least we'll be able to sample it on livedownloads.com before buying. In December or January...  :|

Hopefully the digital version is nice and tidy.  I think it was the Orpheum vinyl in the Vs. set, where it was missing tracks, and they provided access to the missing tracks as mp3, but you couldn't really merge it with the other digital tracks to listen to a nice flowing copy of the full album?  Hopefully the digital copy of Soldier Field is seamless :)
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    edited July 2017
    I'm looking forward to hopefully hearing a better sounding version of that Soldier Field show.  I've had a couple versions of this show that were shared with me by kind people on this forum, and I've only listened to each source once, as I found them all quite bad.  They weren't as good as the Atlanta 94 or the Melbourne 95 or 98 sources that fortunate to have.
    Post edited by BF89905 on
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    my2hands said:

Quality > Quantity
    Umm, multi-track probably indicates that the source is still digital. The difference is that they can't mix the non-multi-track tracks, so those tracks will sound different from the mixed ones.

multi-track doesn't mean digital.  It just means mutlti-track.  most great historic live albums are multi-track analog. It is also unclear how the encore was recorded...even 2 tracks can be "mixed," just not nearly as easily, with little separation between instruments.  The Grateful Dead's Dicks Picks and Dave's Picks series is basically all 4 track recordings, so they are still mixed, but it is different than a full multi-track recording like Europe 72, for instance
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    bwick21 said:
    CM189191 said:
    bwick21 said:

You do realize that they reprinted these and you may have one of those.  Only real way to tell is open it and see the record.  It's like owning a sealed "white backspacer" record.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    Had the bootleg for years. Too much money and too much missing for me to pull the trigger.

Is it really a concert if seven songs are left off? This is a FAR CRY from what the CD bootlegs were in the early and mid 2000's when everything, even the worst fuck ups, we're included for us without any runaround. 

If it makes you happy though, hooray for the buyers!
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Horse2345 said:
    Hey 10c maybe call up Metallica and get some shipping tips. New live 3lp set, $39.99 and $17 shipping to Canada!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Zod said:
    wg said:

just saying.
    I doubt it.  The original Soldier Field is an anomaly.  It wasn't really put out by the band or the record label.  It was promo pressing done by Vintage Vinyl (which I guess they got some kind of authorization for?) which kind of made it semi-official, but the sound quality is just as bad as all the circulation bootlegs.  All sourced from the same tinny FM radio broadcast.   

I don't really think Vault 7 is a repress of the promo vinyl.  It's a new beast.

Maybe if someone starts to bootleg the benaroya vinyl?  To be honest, given how much those boxes go for, i'm extremely surprised no one's bootlegged them yet.
    Kind of glad to hear that. Passed one up at a record store because I was uncertain about anything that wasn't fully official or a band release, and if it sounded anything like the CDs it wouldn't be worth the cost or worth listening to on vinyl for that matter.
    i was always under the impression, like you said, not really official. Semi-official is generous. Put out by the radio (maybe with permission of the band) but not sourced properly like this vault will be. I can't see how those originals will really be worth much after this.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    NewJPage said:
    my2hands said:

Quality > Quantity

multi-track doesn't mean digital.  It just means mutlti-track.  most great historic live albums are multi-track analog. It is also unclear how the encore was recorded...even 2 tracks can be "mixed," just not nearly as easily, with little separation between instruments.  The Grateful Dead's Dicks Picks and Dave's Picks series is basically all 4 track recordings, so they are still mixed, but it is different than a full multi-track recording like Europe 72, for instance
    Good call on the comparison... and you're right.  I'm not sure if we'll ever know whether it was analog or a digital recording.  But the multi-track should sound better than the non multi-track ones that are released digitally.  

I still think the bad decision begat this good one.  I'd rather have had a complete, soundboard Randall's even if it wasn't multi-track rather than an incomplete Soldier.  But that's just me...
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Randalls is coming, have patience folks... this is one of the truly legendary performances of their career and we finally have a real quality version after 22 years

I'm fucking stoked for this release personally
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    It works both ways you know... we Americans pay a fortune in shipping when we order our ice skates and maple syrup. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    on2legs said:
    It works both ways you know... we Americans pay a fortune in shipping when we order our ice skates and maple syrup. 
    Just the maple syrup, you have to pay for that much awesome.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    22 years ago today: soldier field!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    edited July 2017
    NewJPage said:
    my2hands said:

Quality > Quantity

I never said it did. Knowing this band's recording history, though, that's why I said "probably."

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/01/19/the-mixer-brett-eliason/

Brett: I ran cassette initially DAT just wasn’t that prevalent a format in clubs at that point. As we got into 1992 I was running a DAT Walkman at every show. Starting in 1993 I began to multitrack (16 track) all of the shows. In 1994 I bumped up to twenty-four tracks. From these recordings came live B-sides, Christmas singles, and eventually Live on Two Legs.

Brett: Pro Tools (A software-based mixing facility) was involved in the production of the Bootlegs and the DVD. My mix system is based on a rather large Pro Tools system, which is 5.1 compatible. For the European Bootlegs I recorded directly to a Tascam DA-88 format, which is an 8mm 16bit-tape format. I then brought the tapes home, loaded them up on multiple hard drives (the recordings are 32 track, including audience mics) and mixed them.

My system is capable of 24-bit 48KHz, but because the tape machines are 16-bit and the final product is 16-bit 44.1K, that is the resolution that I settled on.

Post edited by darthvedder on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my2hands said:
    Randalls is coming, have patience folks... this is one of the truly legendary performances of their career and we finally have a real quality version after 22 years

I'm fucking stoked for this release personally
    I m pumped for this release as well. You really think Randall s is coming in the near future?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......