RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• 'Cause I heard it in the wind
    And I saw it in the sky
    And I thought it was the end
    And I thought it was the fourth of July......
    Such a crazy pic
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    'Cause I heard it in the wind
    And I saw it in the sky
    And I thought it was the end
    And I thought it was the fourth of July......
    Such a crazy pic
    was that pic from today?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Love the revalations album. Been listening to it alot. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:
    Unplugged in Sweden is awesome
    The very first conversation I ever had with my wife involved introducing her to Unplugged In Sweden so it will always have a special place in my heart.

We met at a race course in Sydney in November 2006. She was in a great dress, I was a backpacker/bum so I was in jeans and a PJ t-shirt that I'd bought at the Newcastle show (I looked completely out of place!) We met through a mutual friend and it turned out that she had been at the 2nd and 3rd PJ Sydney shows the week before. Of course we struck up a conversation about music within a few minutes of being introduced, and a few bottles of bubbles later we were listening to Unplugged In Sweden on my crappy MP3 player through 1 headphone each.

I emailed her the download link a few days later and that was the start of it all. We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary last week.

Thanks Chris, for being an epic conversation (and relationship) starter!  
    Thats a fantastic story, thanks for sharing! This man's music touched so many lives, my own included. One of the all time greatest singers in rock history, and I hope he's remembered for that.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:
    The very first conversation I ever had with my wife involved introducing her to Unplugged In Sweden so it will always have a special place in my heart.

We met at a race course in Sydney in November 2006. She was in a great dress, I was a backpacker/bum so I was in jeans and a PJ t-shirt that I'd bought at the Newcastle show (I looked completely out of place!) We met through a mutual friend and it turned out that she had been at the 2nd and 3rd PJ Sydney shows the week before. Of course we struck up a conversation about music within a few minutes of being introduced, and a few bottles of bubbles later we were listening to Unplugged In Sweden on my crappy MP3 player through 1 headphone each.

I emailed her the download link a few days later and that was the start of it all. We celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary last week.

Aww so sweet, awesome story.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Awesome story.

My wife and I chose the Thank You cover from Live In Sweden as our song.   So stoked when we finally got to see him play it live.   Now hearing our song will always make us a little sad :(
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Zod said:
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Awesome story.

My wife and I chose the Thank You cover from Live In Sweden as our song.   So stoked when we finally got to see him play it live.   Now hearing our song will always make us a little sad :(
    Thank You is the hardest song to listen to off Unplugged In Sweden. It's just such a beautiful cover, possibly my favourite ever version of that song. I can't find the words to describe Chris' voice.
    Great choice for your song, I'm sure in time the sadness will fade and you can always treasure the memory of seeing it live.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Few more SG Beauties  :)
    Guess already seen, but this popped up:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    Guess already seen, but this popped up:

This was nice. Thank you for sharing.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    I was sad, but now I'm angry about this.  I can't listen to any of his stuff or Soundgarden stuff without feeling both emotions.

I'd love for some of his live solo stuff, live Temple, or SG live stuff to be released at some point.

Hopefully I'll be able to listen to this stuff again.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Haven't been keeping up witht the thread much, sorry if it has been posted. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Went to a Chris Cornell tribute here in Sweden yesterday. Just shot some videos meant for snapchat from it, didn't know the audio would be as good as it were. Otherwise I would have filmed a full song or two. They sounded really good. Only played Soundgarden songs + Hungerstrike though. 

Gonna see if I can upload the 10sec snippets from Snapchat.
  • epieepie Posts: 290
    Just received the "Songbook" vinyl from Amazon after backordered for about a month.  Sounds great and a great collection spanning Chris' career.  Highly recommended for all fans and glad it was released.   
    1996 - Columbia, MD & Augusta, ME
    2013 - Worcester, MA (Lightning Bolt Release)
    2016 - Fenway Park I and II
    2017 - HSCM (EV) Boston, MA
    2018 - Seattle I, Fenway Park I and II
    2021 - Ohana Festival (EV/EV/PJ)
    2022 - EV (Beacon Theater II & Newark)
    2023 - Austin, TX I & II
  • NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I wrote this just now:

https://snjohns.wordpress.com/2017/07/18/no-one-sings-like-you-anymore/

I still can't believe he's gone.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

I'm right there with you - weirdly enough, today was the day I started listening to his music again too.  I still don't want to touch TOTD, or Seasons (my favourite song ever), but I put Superunknown on, and the emotions weren't as bad as I feared.  It was almost like I was listening to it for the first time - my overwhelming feeling was absolute awe of what a masterpiece they really made, records of this depth just don't seem to be made anymore.

Still a huge struggle to comprehend the fact he's no longer with us, I find myself thinking about it frequently.  I google his name daily to see if there's any news or insights into how this could have happened.  I don't know what all the stages of grieving are, and I know some people would question how you could grieve for someone you never really knew, but this feels as genuinely crushing as any of the losses I've experienced - the added sadness being that it was his music I turned to in those times of grief.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360

Still a huge struggle to comprehend the fact he's no longer with us, I find myself thinking about it frequently.  I google his name daily to see if there's any news or insights into how this could have happened.  I don't know what all the stages of grieving are, and I know some people would question how you could grieve for someone you never really knew, but this feels as genuinely crushing as any of the losses I've experienced - the added sadness being that it was his music I turned to in those times of grief.
    This exactly. I google it everyday, read all the news...I still cant listen to any of it. 
    NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

I'm right there with you - weirdly enough, today was the day I started listening to his music again too.  I still don't want to touch TOTD, or Seasons (my favourite song ever), but I put Superunknown on, and the emotions weren't as bad as I feared.  It was almost like I was listening to it for the first time - my overwhelming feeling was absolute awe of what a masterpiece they really made, records of this depth just don't seem to be made anymore.

Goddammit.
    It's comforting (wrong word, but the best I've got right now) knowing we're all right there with one another. We'll be processing this for a long time.
    Cornell's death sent me off a cliff and into an OCD lapse (I'd been symptom-free for almost a year when he died). Ironically, his death also motivated me to make the final push towards "full" recovery that I'd been actively avoiding for years. I don't mean to suggest I'm thankful for the push, but it's a small silver lining I've been clinging to.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

Goddammit.
    It's comforting (wrong word, but the best I've got right now) knowing we're all right there with one another. We'll be processing this for a long time.
    Cornell's death sent me off a cliff and into an OCD lapse (I'd been symptom-free for almost a year when he died). Ironically, his death also motivated me to make the final push towards "full" recovery that I'd been actively avoiding for years. I don't mean to suggest I'm thankful for the push, but it's a small silver lining I've been clinging to.

Yeah I think a lot of people feel the same, your words totally resonated with me.  It's hard to discuss it with friends to be honest.  I went to see Guns 'n' Roses a few weeks back, and they covered Black Hole Sun, I was pretty drunk, but man, I cried my eyes out.  I don't think music has been such a big crutch to my friends, so while they see it as really sad, I think I'm dealing with it on a whole other level.

I know what you mean about his death making you reevaluate your own issues, it's done the same for me, I've been living as a functionally depressed person for a very long time now, and music has been the main thing I've turned to in times of despair.  With Chris' passing it feels like music isn't enough - and rightly so, whilst it can be an enormous comfort, I've realised that there has to be something more.
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I love Chris Cornell

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

Goddammit.
    It's a tribute to Chris to grow and learn and use his death as a motivating factor. Good luck to you. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    It's a tribute to Chris to grow and learn and use his death as a motivating factor. Good luck to you. 
    Thanks so much. 
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

Goddammit.

Yeah I think a lot of people feel the same, your words totally resonated with me.  It's hard to discuss it with friends to be honest.  I went to see Guns 'n' Roses a few weeks back, and they covered Black Hole Sun, I was pretty drunk, but man, I cried my eyes out.  I don't think music has been such a big crutch to my friends, so while they see it as really sad, I think I'm dealing with it on a whole other level.

I know what you mean about his death making you reevaluate your own issues, it's done the same for me, I've been living as a functionally depressed person for a very long time now, and music has been the main thing I've turned to in times of despair.  With Chris' passing it feels like music isn't enough - and rightly so, whilst it can be an enormous comfort, I've realised that there has to be something more.
    Is GNR still using "You Know My Name" as its playout music??

The first show I saw after Chris died was Tool. I cried at fucking TOOL. However, when we saw U2 a couple weeks ago, they played "Bad," and it turned me into a puddle. It's a song that's meant a lot to me for a long time anyway, but hearing it just over a month after Chris' death felt like a hammer blow. I was literally sobbing. This is going to take a long while.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I just opened Wikipedia on my phone and "Today's featured article" is Audioslave, with a photo of Chris smiling right out at you.
    Fuck, that was an unexpected punch to the gut.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited July 2017
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

NWOntario said:
    I wrote this just now:

Goddammit.

Is GNR still using "You Know My Name" as its playout music??

The first show I saw after Chris died was Tool. I cried at fucking TOOL. However, when we saw U2 a couple weeks ago, they played "Bad," and it turned me into a puddle. It's a song that's meant a lot to me for a long time anyway, but hearing it just over a month after Chris' death felt like a hammer blow. I was literally sobbing. This is going to take a long while.

It was hearing U2 close the show in Cleveland with ONE  that got me...
    LOVED the version where Chris sang the Metallica ONE  lyrics to the U2 song.

Was fortunate to hear him perform it 4 times in person.

Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    RS65573 said:

This exactly. I google it everyday, read all the news...I still cant listen to any of it. 
    There with you
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......