What book are you reading?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    My favorite book, for about the 10th time. (Just because it has been a few years since I last read)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413

My favorite book, for about the 10th time. (Just because it has been a few years since I last read)

Masterpiece!!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    1776 (non-fiction) by David McCullough was excellent, and I zipped through the Regeneration series (fiction) by Pat Barker which was also excellent. Incredible story tellers.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    James Howard Kunstler, The Harrows of Spring. Last book of Kunstler's "World Made By Hand" quartet. Will be a bit of a bummer when finished- the last of the series.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    just finished Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night last night....great read.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Just getting going on Gaiman's "Norse Mythology".
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    One Dharma by Joseph Goldstein...ive picked back up studying Buddhism...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    bluegrace said:

I'm reading a book about lynx, my favourite animal

They are very fascinating creatures.. which region/breed are you reading on? My favorite is the Siberian.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Finished The Maltese Falcon, by Dashiell Hammett, and have started reading Lincoln In the Bardo, by George Saunders. So far it has been an interesting read.
    ELITIST FUK
    The Light of the World by Elizabeth Alexander
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Flying to Cleveland from Los Angeles tomorrow.....going to read:

Under the Big Black Sun: A Personal History of L.A. Punk

By John Doe of X

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Going Clear by Lawrence Wright

Scientology... interesting read.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited June 2017
    Nathaniel West, Day of the Locust

HOLY CRAP!  Two or three times I've gone back to the front of the book to check the copyright date.  Yep, 1939.  It blows my mind that West was writing this stuff in 1939!!  He was miles ahead of his time.  It's no wonder (and very sad) that this book barely sold at all when it came out and was viciously attacked by reviewers at the time.  But it's gone on (and rightfully so) to become a long-standing classic of American literature.  Bold, daring, different.  Highly recommended.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:

HOLY CRAP!  Two or three times I've gone back to the front of the book to check the copyright date.  Yep, 1939.  It blows my mind that West was writing this stuff in 1939!!  He was miles ahead of his time.  It's no wonder (and very sad) that this book barely sold at all when it came out and was viciously attacked by reviewers at the time.  But it's gone on (and rightfully so) to become a long-standing classic of American literature.  Bold, daring, different.  Highly recommended.
    Out of print, it looks like.  Will have to check with a local bookseller...sounds interesting and although I know of the title I had not looked closely at it previously.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:

Out of print, it looks like.  Will have to check with a local bookseller...sounds interesting and although I know of the title I had not looked closely at it previously.
    This can't be out of print. If it is, I'll send you my copy. It's sometimes paired with West's Miss Lonelyhearts. That's the version I have.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

This can't be out of print. If it is, I'll send you my copy. It's sometimes paired with West's Miss Lonelyhearts. That's the version I have.
    Thanks, I will check again.  The items I saw for sale as a solo had a number of reviews saying it was photocopied dreck and tough to read.  Combo or complete works will be checked now....
    Good call, found from an offsite seller with the combo.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    One of my undergrad senior theses was on the aesthetics of sex and violence and how that applied to gender roles in the LA sleaze subgenre, and The Day of the Locust was deconstructed over many pages. The chaos at the end of that book is just fantastic.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited June 2017
    LA sleaze subgenre :lol:
    I wish I could erase my mind and go back and read Ellroy's stuff again.  He deals with some real LA sleaze.  I love-love-love-love-love American Tabloid

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I'll have to read that, F'me.

I am reading the last Grisham....the whistler...and it is a page turner.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    just finished this...can't recommend this guy highly enough....great plots plus great insight of northern ireland's "troubles"

next up, the new dennis lehane.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    just finished this...can't recommend this guy highly enough....great plots plus great insight of northern ireland's "troubles"

next up, the new dennis lehane.

Dont need to read earlier book(s) in the Sean Duffy series first?

Let us know on the Lehane, I loved the trilogy that Affleck hacked up in the movies.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Sorry - thought I was posting a pic above, not a link. 
    Finally finished John Adams by David McCullough. Very good. I would recommend it as others recommended it in this thread.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    About to read The Universe At Your Hand by a French, Christophe Galfard. About dark matter, dark energy, all that stuff.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014