The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    pjhawks said:

so Giroux at 29 years old thinks he will all of sudden return to his previous top form next year even though his numbers have declined for the past 4 years.

scares to me think that Hextall actually thinks Neuvirth is good. Average goalie at best.

I cant believe that Hextall goes into next year with injury-riddled Neuvirth and now injured Stolarz as his goalie platoon. Would be bat shit crazy. And im not sure Vegas is picking Neuvirth to be their goalie either.

It is great to hear that Hextall is not signing any D this summer. Spots will be open for 2 of Haag, Morin, or even P. Myers to win the job in camp.

This kid from Sweden, Lindblom, looks like he could be a top 6 forward. He should get a job net year s well.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited April 2017
    We need a lot more speed. Watching these playoffs and what the Flyers put out on the ice for last year's playoffs and this year's team is a joke. Molasses on ice.
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:

We need a lot more speed. Watching these playoffs and what the Flyers put out on the ice for last year's playoffs and this year's team is a joke. Molasses on ice.

and youth. you see a team like Toronto with 8 or 9 rookies in the lineup but Hextall is slow to bring young talent up.
    pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

and youth. you see a team like Toronto with 8 or 9 rookies in the lineup but Hextall is slow to bring young talent up.
    Agreed but he's handcuffed with a few bad contracts although Weiss is his fault.

What a great series Caps/Leafs has been so far.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

pjhawks said:

JK_Livin said:

Agreed but he's handcuffed with a few bad contracts although Weiss is his fault.

What a great series Caps/Leafs has been so far.
    yea Leafs are really fun to watch. Haven't seen much of any of the other series yet. Playoffs are awesome to watch though. 1000x better than regular season hockey.
    Somehow they just got the 2nd overall pick in this years draft, with the Devils getting #1.
    Gotta figure theyll pick one of N Patrick or N Hischier.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Top two picks are basically interchangeable.

Dont seem to be really near the kane/tavares/stamkos/mcdavid/matthews level (might not have cracked the top 4 the last few years)... but still real good and a nice jump from 13th or whatever to 2

Somehow they just got the 2nd overall pick in this years draft, with the Devils getting #1.
    Gotta figure theyll pick one of N Patrick or N Hischier.

word i've heard is that there is 2 really good players so either one of those. bad news is hexy will keep the guy in the minors until he is 23
    edited June 2017
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    Ghost signs, 6 year 27 Million dollar extension.

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    obviously a big offseason -- prob the most important in the last decade for the flyers.

will be interesting to see what they do with the expansion draft.  Obvious that Hextall is building this team from the back to front -- recent drafts of defense, then goalies, now forwards.  Based on expected developmental time, this makes a ton of sense (LA Kings strategy).  I'm glad that DelZaster is gone.  Nick Schultz is gone.  

Dream scenario is that MacDonald gets selected.  Or Matt Read.  Or Raffl (who sucks).  At the end of the day, I don't think it matters who vegas takes.  This roster is mostly filler - Hextall is building this thing and it's going to take time to repair what holgrem did before Mr Snider passed.  

I believe in what this team is doing.  Not gonna happen overnight, but any fan who knows what's up will recognize that the future is bright
    The  probable addition of Oskar Lindblom and whomever of Nico/Nolan(if they make it out of camp) to the Top 9 of the offense should be a huge boost.
    One or both of Haag and Morin will most likely be added to the D, with Sanheim and Myers most likely in the AHL.
    It is starting to take shape already.
    The  probable addition of Oskar Lindblom and whomever of Nico/Nolan(if they make it out of camp) to the Top 9 of the offense should be a huge boost.
    One or both of Haag and Morin will most likely be added to the D, with Sanheim and Myers most likely in the AHL.
    It is starting to take shape already.
    Morin is a lock unless he bombs in camp.  one of samheim/hagg could also earn a spot
    sounds like the prob lose weal via FA, but who really cares?
    real question is which goalie do you want to see exposed -- mason, neuvirth, stolarz?
    The Fixer said:
    real question is which goalie do you want to see exposed -- mason, neuvirth, stolarz?
    Masons contract is done with the Flyers. Doubtful he'll be back. He had some less than stellar words about Hextall during the exit interviews.
    I'd like to see Neuvirth taken by LV, as the money on that deal is too much for him. Then Hextall can sign one of these UFA goalies and place Stolarz as the backup. A goalie good enough to be a short term bridge until one of the touted kids, Hart or Sandstrom is ready which wont be for another 2-3 years at best.
    The Fixer said:
    obviously a big offseason -- prob the most important in the last decade for the flyers.

will be interesting to see what they do with the expansion draft.  Obvious that Hextall is building this team from the back to front -- recent drafts of defense, then goalies, now forwards.  Based on expected developmental time, this makes a ton of sense (LA Kings strategy).  I'm glad that DelZaster is gone.  Nick Schultz is gone.  

Dream scenario is that MacDonald gets selected.  Or Matt Read.  Or Raffl (who sucks).  At the end of the day, I don't think it matters who vegas takes.  This roster is mostly filler - Hextall is building this thing and it's going to take time to repair what holgrem did before Mr Snider passed.  

I believe in what this team is doing.  Not gonna happen overnight, but any fan who knows what's up will recognize that the future is bright
    if only we could get a consistent goal scorer like Jeff Carter.

Neuvirth is average. Back up goalie at best.

Hextall should dump Giroux.
    Very curious to see who Hextall picks up as starting goalie, more so if Neuvirth  were to be somehow picked by Vegas.
    I do not like the Schenn trade at all. Zero toughness/physicality left on this team besides Simmonds now.
    Team struggled to score and just dealt away one of its best PP players. 
    I do not like the Schenn trade at all. Zero toughness/physicality left on this team besides Simmonds now.
    Team struggled to score and just dealt away one of its best PP players. 
    i don't get it either. most of his goals were on the PP but I think he has gotten a bit better each year. I know they needed to free up the center position a bit but i would have rather traded Giroux.  By the time this team is a top team Giroux will be pretty much done.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Giroux did extremely well to get the assist total he got last year -- hard to believe he got that many.  Games I attended he was not one of the better players on the ice. 
    Think he has a full no trade clause so the hope should be that he finds his legs (and speed) again and can get back to being that pest who could score a point per game again. 

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I just dont understand what Hextall is doing. He keeps claiming that its not a rebuild but his actions, esp of late show otherwise.
    Thats fine, if youre gonna do a full rebuild then do it, but dont keep the Captain and Voracek around then. He shouldnt have signed V to that huge contract.
    By the time this young core grows together in a couple of years those two will be older, and who knows what Giroux will even play like then. His play is already in decline.
    Hextall should look to deal at least one or both and get back younger NHL ready players. It will be a challenge with their cap hits though.
    Simmonds is another story. I'd keep him around as long as possible. He is gonna get a huge payday when his time comes so he too will prob be a trade canidate. I love Simmonds but the return for him would be very high. A situation where its prob best to trade him while his value is highest. The type of player he is, his next contract likely will be overpayment and too long in years. 
    At this point It's probably not easy to get rid of G.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    I just dont understand what Hextall is doing. He keeps claiming that its not a rebuild but his actions, esp of late show otherwise.
    Thats fine, if youre gonna do a full rebuild then do it, but dont keep the Captain and Voracek around then. He shouldnt have signed V to that huge contract.
    By the time this young core grows together in a couple of years those two will be older, and who knows what Giroux will even play like then. His play is already in decline.
    Hextall should look to deal at least one or both and get back younger NHL ready players. It will be a challenge with their cap hits though.
    Simmonds is another story. I'd keep him around as long as possible. He is gonna get a huge payday when his time comes so he too will prob be a trade canidate. I love Simmonds but the return for him would be very high. A situation where its prob best to trade him while his value is highest. The type of player he is, his next contract likely will be overpayment and too long in years. 
    i wouldn't consider them in full rebuild mode. they are building to be a contender when the young defensemen fully mature. 2 are already here and going to be very good and at least 2 more are on the way.  they could be a playoff team next year but are building to be a legitimate title contender by 2020.  Ideally you could get young players for Giroux but his salary and production decline is going to limit those possibilities.  
    Flyers again will be lucky to grab a 7 or 8 playoff seed this year.

Apparently Elliot is the guy Hextall plans on signing..to a 3 year deal. Awful. 
    I dont have any big expectations for this season but a platoon of Elliot/Nuevirth is really scary.  Let one of Stolarz or Lyon play. At some point you have to see what you have at the NHL level rather than signing these bottom barrel goalies to 3 year deals. 

Per Dreger, Weal has signed a 2 year deal. 
    $1.75M per year according to LeBrun.
    He, Lindblom and Patrick will be counted on to replace the scoring lost from Schenn.
    Needless to say there is an absolute logjam of forwards, and most are of the bottom 6 variety.

I dont have any big expectations for this season but a platoon of Elliot/Nuevirth is really scary.  Let one of Stolarz or Lyon play. At some point you have to see what you have at the NHL level rather than signing these bottom barrel goalies to 3 year deals. 

He, Lindblom and Patrick will be counted on to replace the scoring lost from Schenn.
    Needless to say there is an absolute logjam of forwards, and most are of the bottom 6 variety.
    revolving door or mediocre goalies is the Flyers MO.  Wouldn't be this franchise without it.  Whats the point of having both Elliott and Neuvirth? Why not give Stolarz the backup job? they don't seem to like Stolarz much.  Hopefully one of the young goalies is ready sooner than later.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Must be a Philly thing:

Nolan Patrick, Flyers' top pick, recovering from surgery; expected to be ready for camp

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/philadelphia-flyers-nolan-patrick-abdominal-surgery-first-round-pick-20170630.html

pjhawks said:

revolving door or mediocre goalies is the Flyers MO.  Wouldn't be this franchise without it.  Whats the point of having both Elliott and Neuvirth? Why not give Stolarz the backup job? they don't seem to like Stolarz much.  Hopefully one of the young goalies is ready sooner than later.

It really is scary and also makes me further believe Hextall isnt concerned with the playoffs. Flyers better hope one of Sandstrom or Hart hit big.

So Mason complains about not being a starter.....rips Hextall on his way out and now signs with Winnipeg....to be part of a probable platoon situation. Hilarious
    excited to see the young guys.  Little bummed Lindblom didn't make it.  Glad they took Leier or Read.  never liked read.  going to be very interesting to see the learning curve with the young defensemen.
    Gonna be another long year. I dont see them being better than 7th in their own division.
    Season hasnt started and I'm already annoyed at the head coach. Appears he is sitting both Morin and Sanheim tonight for AMac and Manning.
    Throw in a completely mediocre goaltending tandem and this will be a similar season to last year.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Gonna be another long year. I dont see them being better than 7th in their own division.
    Season hasnt started and I'm already annoyed at the head coach. Appears he is sitting both Morin and Sanheim tonight for AMac and Manning.
    Throw in a completely mediocre goaltending tandem and this will be a similar season to last year.
    yeah i don't see them making the playoffs and if they do they'll sneak in and lose in the first round.  But I'll still cheer them on and root for them.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly