U.S. Soccer Thread

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Joint bid for 2026 with Mexico and Canada. US definitely has the infrastructure to host this on its own, but I'm guessing this is because of all the travel ban nonsense from the Trump administration??? Seems kinda silly to have 3 countries hosting it, but I guess the US would have 60 out of the 80 games. I'm assuming this will be the winning bid...

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/3100808/us-mexico-and-canada-officially-launch-bid-to-co-host-2026-world-cup

I can get down with this. Gotta figure it's Mexico City and maaaybe Guadalajara. Then Toronto, Montreal, and maybe Vancouver? Figure Vancouver would be a shoo in but I would also assume that the US would want to reward Sounders fans and have Seattle and they can't/won't have both, I can't imagine.

Philly won't get any games, but I would definitely go to anything in NY/DC.
    Gulati talked about keeping groups regional and "as an example, said Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Guadalajara could be one regional grouping that teams would span."
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    jeffbr said:

Joint bid for 2026 with Mexico and Canada. US definitely has the infrastructure to host this on its own, but I'm guessing this is because of all the travel ban nonsense from the Trump administration??? Seems kinda silly to have 3 countries hosting it, but I guess the US would have 60 out of the 80 games. I'm assuming this will be the winning bid...

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/3100808/us-mexico-and-canada-officially-launch-bid-to-co-host-2026-world-cup

I can get down with this. Gotta figure it's Mexico City and maaaybe Guadalajara. Then Toronto, Montreal, and maybe Vancouver? Figure Vancouver would be a shoo in but I would also assume that the US would want to reward Sounders fans and have Seattle and they can't/won't have both, I can't imagine.

Philly won't get any games, but I would definitely go to anything in NY/DC.
    Gulati talked about keeping groups regional and "as an example, said Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Guadalajara could be one regional grouping that teams would span."
    Interesting. I think I thought Vancouver and Seattle were a little closer than they actually are. Regardless, this will be all kinds of awesome.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    This Bayern Munich- Real Madrid game is crazy. Into extra time.

That red card was trash. Really hope Bayern can somehow win.

Tons of action

Tons of action
    Yeah, that was awful. Pulling for Bayern too....Ronaldo is such a whiny bitch.

I love working from home.
    Ugh...fuck face
    He was clearly offside. Refs are absolute garbage here. Awful.

Tons of action
    Yeah, that was awful. Pulling for Bayern too....Ronaldo is such a whiny bitch.

I love working from home.
    Word. I have it on my 2nd screen at work.
    Well that got out of hand quickly.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    I'm bored.....watching MLS....the theatrics crack me up.

and soccer goalies must be the 180 opposite of hockey goalies in terms of athleticism and badassedness.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Brutal stretch here with 2 games in 4 days and Sunday being in Mexico City.  Gotta take care of business tonight and hope for a draw on Sunday night.
    Brutal stretch here with 2 games in 4 days and Sunday being in Mexico City.  Gotta take care of business tonight and hope for a draw on Sunday night.
    Obviously need the 3 points here. This is a pretty fuckkng good starting 11 for the US. Haven't seen this team in a while.  Starting out slow but picking up a bit 
    Kid!!!
    I can't even
    I can't even

Unreal.  Living up to all the hype big time so far.
    edited June 2017
    I can't even

Insane.

See Dempsey go after Arena when he took him out?

Not going to see Sunday, going to be at a Killers show (guilty pleasure), but would be amazing to come out with some sort of result. Pulisic said they're going to win.  Love the kid.

Apparently that Costa Rica/Panama result was good for us.
    I can't even

Insane.

See Dempsey go after Arena when he took him out?

Not going to see Sunday, going to be at a Killers show (guilty pleasure), but would be amazing to come out with some sort of result. Pulisic said they're going to win.  Love the kid.

Apparently that Costa Rica/Panama result was good for us.

Had a softball game last night so missed most of the game and didn't see the thing with Dempsey, but that sounds about right for him.  Will be watching Sunday night for sure....love the confidence from Pulisic.  Feels like this roster is as deep as it has ever been....only guy out injured is Jermaine Jones and to me that's a huge positive.  He needs to be done with the national team.

I love The Killers...their first 2 albums are phenomenal.  A lot of fun to see live....so many hits.
    What a fucking goal by Bradley!  Sucks that they blew the lead, but it's hard to complain about coming away with a point at Azteca.
    What a fucking goal by Bradley!  Sucks that they blew the lead, but it's hard to complain about coming away with a point at Azteca.
    3rd world cup qualifying draw at azteca? I'll take it. They're in. 
    HOLY SHIT THAT GOAL
    Gotta be the best play in Azteca ever
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    USA wins if Arenas doesn't play Beasley.  Great outcome for the team, but I'm not optimistic with old balls in charge
    Interesting U.S. roster for the Gold Cup.....this tournament is really turning into a joke with it taking place every 2 years.  Should be every 4 years like the European championships.  Clearly just a money grab by CONCACAF...not surprising.  But it is nice for some of these younger guys to get some experience playing with the national team.

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2017/06/25/usa-roster-gold-cup-concacaf-arena
    Any trophy is a good trophy. Let's do this
    Any trophy is a good trophy. Let's do this

That was pretty cool last night.  What a blast by Morris...amazing what these guys can do when you give them just a split second in a little bit of space.  Good stuff.
    Let's do this. 3 points.

Wild that Dempsey is no longer a starter 
    3 goals on this keeper...

starting to think 1 point will be a good outcome. This game has always scared me
    About fucking time they brought Dempsey in.  
    Holy shit what a save by Navas.  He is awesome.  This is not good.