RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Maggie_st said:
    Singer songwritter "Nick Drake", commented suicide back in 1974.  He captured depression in a song called "Black Eyed Dog".  Winston Churchill who fought depression all his life call it the "Black Eyed Dog".   I am 54 and have fought with depression everyday of my life.  That Black Eyed Dog always walks by my side.  Meds can help or hurt but depression is always with you, maybe the dog isn't right next to you, but it follows you.  You can get to the point where you are just tired of "faking" of being  ok to your friends and family.  But you don't want to see the saddest and hurt or anger in their eyes.  So you fake it.  But if you are depressed that Black Eyed Dog is with you.  Maybe Chris was just so absolutely tired of faking or fighting the Black Eyed Dog any longer.  He only knows.  My heart breaks for his family.  Must be cruel to deal with.  But I seem to be different from a lot of sympathy, I feel the must sorrow for Chris. He must of just got tired of fighting the
    his Black Eyed Dog.  To all us depressed people out there, you keep fighting that Black Eyed Dog and know there are 1000's of us walking the Black Eyed Dog with you.      Hang on, get help and find something to hang on to.
     Maggie
    keep fighting that dog Maggie... and that goes to anybody else out there in the same boat.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    shecky said:
    I just read this article regarding Chris' apparent state of mind during Soundgarden's last show.
    Sure doesn't sound suicidal to me.
    "Chris Cornell was fully anticipating Soundgarden's next concert stop after Detroit ... and shared his feelings with the crowd Wednesday night. 
    In the footage ... Chris and the band were about to start an encore, and he gushed about how awesome Detroit fans had been, saying, "I feel a little bit sorry for the next f***ing place we play."
    They were set to play Friday in Columbus, Ohio and Chris joked he'll have to tell fans there, "You should have been at that Detroit show. That crowd was something."
    The Fox Theatre crowd ate it up, but this clearly shows Chris was in great spirits, and already thinking beyond Wednesday night. TMZ broke the story ... Chris' wife, Vicky, said he showed no signs of depression or being suicidal in the hours before he was found dead."

i had read that entire quote, and thought to myself 'that doesn't sound like a guy who's suicidal'. then my wife came home, and she told me what she had heard on the radio, and they only mentioned the part about 'i feel sorry for the next place we play', in other words, inferring that he intended the whole time to do it and he felt bad for the next venue as he wouldn't be there. 

fuck i hate media scum. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 798
    I don't post here often anymore, but seeing this post made me want to share this cover I recorded last year and my message with everyone here.
    https://soundcloud.com/ryanlandron/mind-riot

"On tough days, I tend to find the most peace in playing and singing songs that are emotionally powerful to me and challenge me as a person and musician. Chris Cornell was one of the men who inspired and continues to inspire me to challenge myself to push my limits and to be comfortable singing and playing anything. I'll often remember to take out my phone or whatever other recording gear I have around at the time, and capture these moments for myself to listen to, critique, etc.

Chris's song Mind Riot off of Soundgarden's album Badmotorfinger was one of the songs that fascinated me as a child listening to this album on repeat due to its raw lyrics and unique sound. When I later was able to learn to play it I realized just how amazing Soundgarden were as a band, and how purely talented they all were and continue to be. Last year, I was in a difficult period of time and I recorded this solo acoustic cover of this - one of my favorite songs ever written - on my iPhone. I don't think my vocals or guitar playing could ever meet the level of the original, but I was glad to just make it through the song in one take and to have been in the neighborhood of some notes in Chris's unfathomably wide vocal range.

When Chris left us this past week, I happened to stumble upon the recording I kept of this song and felt the need to share it with the world. I share this cover now since I think the emotion and message of Chris's lyrics and melodies ring as clear, true and poignant as ever today. Now that Chris is no longer with us, I can only wish that I have done the original some justice, and that sharing some of Chris's music and what it means to me could help continue to inspire others to share their passions with the world."

08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK.
    09 -Spectrum II,III,IV.
    10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo)
    12- Made in America Festival
    13- Oakland
    14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    17- eV Ohana
    18- Seattle I, II
    21- SHN
    22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden 

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    edited May 2017
    Music is life.....
    Music is life...

Post edited by Attaway77 on
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    For those that are interested. The gravesite is going to be opened up to the public after 3pm on Friday. 
    http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornell-gravesite-open-to-public-friday-1202442512/

• sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    shecky said:
    I just read this article regarding Chris' apparent state of mind during Soundgarden's last show.
    "Chris Cornell was fully anticipating Soundgarden's next concert stop after Detroit ... and shared his feelings with the crowd Wednesday night. 
    In the footage ... Chris and the band were about to start an encore, and he gushed about how awesome Detroit fans had been, saying, "I feel a little bit sorry for the next f***ing place we play."
    They were set to play Friday in Columbus, Ohio and Chris joked he'll have to tell fans there, "You should have been at that Detroit show. That crowd was something."
    The Fox Theatre crowd ate it up, but this clearly shows Chris was in great spirits, and already thinking beyond Wednesday night. TMZ broke the story ... Chris' wife, Vicky, said he showed no signs of depression or being suicidal in the hours before he was found dead."

i had read that entire quote, and thought to myself 'that doesn't sound like a guy who's suicidal'. then my wife came home, and she told me what she had heard on the radio, and they only mentioned the part about 'i feel sorry for the next place we play', in other words, inferring that he intended the whole time to do it and he felt bad for the next venue as he wouldn't be there. 

fuck i hate media scum. 

Plus, I've not read a single report of a "suicide note" from Chris being found.
    It's my understanding that usually a note, or even multiple notes, are left by the person.
    With Chris being an extremely gifted writer, I'd think he'd at least jot down something to explain his actions or ask for forgiveness.
    I will always believe that Chris accidentally overdosed on a very heavy medication and had absolutely no idea what he was doing. 

• PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited May 2017

I keep going back to this feature from Rolling Stone. Cameron Crowe’s journals from when he was shooting Singles. This was published in 1992 but was tweeted last week sometime. This one entry and the thought that this community of musicians had no problem expressing what they meant to one another. 

1-1-92: Soundgarden's Chris Cornell sends in a rich collection of incidental music. This movie takes music like a sponge. For me, Cornell is the very soul of Seattle music and its endearing darkness. I remember him the night Andy Wood died. He put a hand on Jeff Ament's shoulder. "I'm gonna call you tomorrow," Cornell said, angry at the world. "We're gonna ride bikes and fucking smoke cigarettes." It's an odd moment to remember so clearly. Something about it just nailed this city.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/making-the-scene-cameron-crowe-on-making-singles-19921001

2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I will never believe it went down as they say

• 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    shecky said:
    shecky said:

fuck i hate media scum. 

Plus, I've not read a single report of a "suicide note" from Chris being found.
    It's my understanding that usually a note, or even multiple notes, are left by the person.
    With Chris being an extremely gifted writer, I'd think he'd at least jot down something to explain his actions or ask for forgiveness.
    I will always believe that Chris accidentally overdosed on a very heavy medication and had absolutely no idea what he was doing. 

I believe you are correct.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Drummer Matt Cameron was the first member of Soundgarden to comment on Cornell’s death. In a statement posted to Facebook (via Alternative Nation), Cameron wrote, “My dark knight is gone. Thank you for the incredible outpouring of kindness and love.”
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    I really don't want to be disrespectful to Chris, his family, or his legacy, but I have had a nagging thought since the beginning of this terrible news.

Is it possible that it was an accident?  I'm not explaining what I mean, some folks will get what I mean and some won't, but it just keeps circling the back of my mind and I haven't heard anyone else suggest it.
    I don't judge what people do when they aren't hurting anyone else, so I don't see it as disrespectful, but I suppose some might.
    It's just hard to wrap the mind around, scrambling for answer is a natural tendancy, but I guess it doesn't do a damn bit of good.
    it has been mentioned. i know what you are talking about. when i said 'death by misadventure', that's what i was referring to. and someone else actually mentioned the act a few pages back. it is possible, but we'll never know i guess. 
    You're right, we'll likely never know.  I've thought the same about a famous comedian, one of my favorites.  But the dangers of "misadventure", whether related to these situations or not, probably should be addressed (and probably on a different thread) and the dangers made known.
    I think toxicology may fill in some gaps.  We will see.  Sad regardless.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    PJ212 said:

I keep going back to this feature from Rolling Stone. Cameron Crowe’s journals from when he was shooting Singles. This was published in 1992 but was tweeted last week sometime. This one entry and the thought that this community of musicians had no problem expressing what they meant to one another. 

1-1-92: Soundgarden's Chris Cornell sends in a rich collection of incidental music. This movie takes music like a sponge. For me, Cornell is the very soul of Seattle music and its endearing darkness. I remember him the night Andy Wood died. He put a hand on Jeff Ament's shoulder. "I'm gonna call you tomorrow," Cornell said, angry at the world. "We're gonna ride bikes and fucking smoke cigarettes." It's an odd moment to remember so clearly. Something about it just nailed this city.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/making-the-scene-cameron-crowe-on-making-singles-19921001

Thank you for the link, great reading.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    He was the wise sage of the 4 to me.  Ed right behind him.

I'm in the same line of thinking that something went very wrong (2 pills on an empty stomach after an exhausting show). And that he was completely out of his mind with no prior thoughts. Thats my hope anyway.  
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    He was the wise sage of the 4 to me.  Ed right behind him.

I'm in the same line of thinking that something went very wrong (2 pills on an empty stomach after an exhausting show). And that he was completely out of his mind with no prior thoughts. Thats my hope anyway.  
    All speculation but i will participate..2 ativan for a grown man that has been on the meds regularly im not sure would send a man to these lengths.  I dont know MG of the drug but i would expect there is more than 2 Ativan.  
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    Well, until proven differently, I believe that Chris deserves the benefit of the doubt.
    He can no longer defend himself, or his wife and children, and I think we owe him that.
  • lowbudgetlushlowbudgetlush Posts: 609
    Shyner said:
    I will never believe it went down as they say

Why? What is the point of a cover up? There isnt anything to gain.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    PJNB said:
    For those that are interested. The gravesite is going to be opened up to the public after 3pm on Friday. 
    http://variety.com/2017/music/news/chris-cornell-gravesite-open-to-public-friday-1202442512/

We may visit the grave site this weekend to pay our respects.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'm sure this will get deleted, but CC's mother in law is on twitter going hard after one of Chris' "friends" that has not been in contact with the family.  I know people grieve in different ways, but this seems a bit out of line.  
    she seems to be a little wigged out from the tweets I've read. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SpokenSpoken Posts: 1,440
    So sad....It's gotten out of control....
  • BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    The internet can be a horrible place. Social media is even worse. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Yeah, the internet has been particularly intolerable since CC's death. Enough already.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    yeah she's out of line....people grieve in different ways. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    I'm sure this will get deleted, but CC's mother in law is on twitter going hard after one of Chris' "friends" that has not been in contact with the family.  I know people grieve in different ways, but this seems a bit out of line.  
    agree...

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, the internet has been particularly intolerable since CC's death. Enough already.
    Agree completely. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PJ_Soul said:
    Agree completely. 

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • fluff4ufluff4u Posts: 190
    Has Matt Cameron been the only one who has said anything publicly?
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    Mike posted something too.
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 572
    edited May 2017
    Wow, that's disturbing.  I just checked it out.  Family no doubt hurting... but this looks like an ugly Twitter rant created while emotions are obviously high.  Something best handled privately.  And the casual Twitter follower chiming in on matters they know very little about doesn't help either.  

That's something that's happened several times relating to the story... people taking a blip and running with it.  
    • Chris included Zeppelin's "In my Time of Dying" during last song, so surely that must have been a sign.  Turns out the band has done that at other times during past shows
    • Somebody on this board wondered aloud if Chris was looking out at the audience during the last show at all these people that have now reached middle age... that somehow that got him depressed and reeling.  Good Lord.
    • People saying that his vocals lagged behind the music and therefor he was out of it during the last show... again, I've seen and heard Chris tinker with different styles a lot in a live setting, altering several songs slightly.
    It's a celebrity death, and unfortunately the theories, the gossip and the sleeze comes out strong.  We'll never know everything, but that won't stop some from the gossip and the sleeze.
    Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    fluff4u said:
    Has Matt Cameron been the only one who has said anything publicly?
    looks like it, but when and where Matt did the comment?
    Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif