RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• FrankY59 said:
    From that article above:

When we talk openly about the chemical side of suicidal thoughts, we teach people in the deepest moment of suicidal ideation to step back, just as if they were having the signs of a stroke and say, “Wait! This is not me and it is not what I want. I need immediate help.”

Information that must be drilled home to people suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

My wife has manic depression.  We have two beautiful boys 2 and 4.  She has mentioned ideas of harming herself in the past but never actually had a plan.  The more I read through everything and anything related to CC the more I worry I'm married to a ticking time bomb.  The thought of my boys without their mother would destroy me.  I feel helpless.
    Seek help.

And hang in there.

There's always a better day ahead. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    Down on the Upside is just an amazing an album.  The first  Soundgarden album I ever bought.  It's absolutely a perfect record.  We are very lucky to have got to enjoy the work of Chris Cornell. 
    This album got me through some tough times in my life. When I listen to it, I feel like I'm with an old friend.
  • dospawndospawn Posts: 210
    it doesn't feel like its real.
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 870
    I've been reading all these posts for the past few days and have been trying to process all of this. I can't seem to fully wrap my mind around Chris's passing. I feel like I lost someone close to me. 

RIP Chris Cornell. You were a true inspiration to so many. Thank you for everything you gave us. 
  • Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    Now this is eerie. I found a VHS tape out in my garage with no label on it. I put it in the VCR - turns out, it's an episode of MTV's 120 Minutes from *exactly* 21 years ago tonight. The guest for the evening? Soundgarden. 
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    So a little smile in this shitty time. I was playing songbook while having dinner and my 3 yr old stopped in his tracks and started singing black hole sun at the top of his lungs. He has asked me to play it on repeat at least 5 times now. It's his bed time and he's lying in bed still singing it
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIjydJ1IOuc

Never underestimate how complicated a simple life can be... ~ Ben Harper
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    by Tom Morello:

You’re a prince, you’re a snare, you’re a shadow

You’re twilight and star burn and shade

You’re a sage, you’re a wound shared, you’re masked

You’re a pillar of smoke, you’re a platinum heart

You’re a brush fire, you’re caged, you’re free

Your vision pierces, you do not see

You are pieces strewn on the hillside

You’re open armed, you’re armed, you’re true

You’re a revealer of visions, you’re the passenger, you’re a never fading scar

You’re twilight and star burn and shade

You’re the secret veiled, you’re the secret revealed, you’re surrounded no more

You’re not there, now you’re always here

Youre a handsome groom, a loving father, a haunted stairwell

You’re the clear bell ringing, the mountains echo your song

Maybe no one has ever known you

You are twilight and star burn and shade
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Near to death
    Here to die
    Scared alive 
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Still crushed by this. Pull out the Mad Season Sonic Evolutions vinyl if you can stomach it. The whole album is a beauty but River of Deceit with Chris on vocals just guts me. The photo inserts/vinyl sleeves leave striking images to remember him by.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2017
    BS44325 said:
    Still crushed by this. Pull out the Mad Season Sonic Evolutions vinyl if you can stomach it. The whole album is a beauty but River of Deceit with Chris on vocals just guts me. The photo inserts/vinyl sleeves leave striking images to remember him by.
    It really felt like we were entering an era where anything was possible as far as collaboration and tours with the Mad Season SE show/album and the TOTD tour

It just felt like everybody was in such a great place in life... but of course that is just a fans casual perspective from a disrance

Post edited by my2hands on
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:
    It really felt like we were entering an era where anything was possible as far as collaboration and tours with the Mad Season SE show/album and the TOTD tour

It just felt like everybody was in such a great place in life... but of course that is just a fans casual perspective from a disrance

That's why it makes so little sense. Think about all that Chris has been involved in over the last couple of years. Mad Season, TOTD, Soundgarden reissues and tour, solo projects including doing work for The Promise...it seemed like the sky was the limit. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I really don't want to be disrespectful to Chris, his family, or his legacy, but I have had a nagging thought since the beginning of this terrible news.

Is it possible that it was an accident?  I'm not explaining what I mean, some folks will get what I mean and some won't, but it just keeps circling the back of my mind and I haven't heard anyone else suggest it.
    I don't judge what people do when they aren't hurting anyone else, so I don't see it as disrespectful, but I suppose some might.
    It's just hard to wrap the mind around, scrambling for answer is a natural tendancy, but I guess it doesn't do a damn bit of good.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited May 2017
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:

My wife had mentioned this several times since Thursday.  Shes not a PJ fan but loves Temple and Soundgarden.  She always wanted a SG/PJ show close to us so we could take the kids
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:

That's why it makes so little sense. Think about all that Chris has been involved in over the last couple of years. Mad Season, TOTD, Soundgarden reissues and tour, solo projects including doing work for The Promise...it seemed like the sky was the limit. 
    It makes a lot of sense. He was tying up the loose ends in his career. I'm sure he had a Audioslave reunion in mind, but just couldn't handle life here long enough for that to happen. This was probably a long time coming for him. People who kill themselves don't just wake up on a random morning and say hey I kill myself, it's thought out over a period over time. It's sad to say all that.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:

It makes a lot of sense. He was tying up the loose ends in his career. I'm sure he had a Audioslave reunion in mind, but just couldn't handle life here long enough for that to happen. This was probably a long time coming for him. People who kill themselves don't just wake up on a random morning and say hey I kill myself, it's thought out over a period over time. It's sad to say all that.
    Maybe a lot of sense if it was written as a neatly structured biopic.

Real life doesnt make sense most of the time.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • juanceraolojuanceraolo Argentina Posts: 19
    For me at the moment I'm finding it hard to reconcile the messages of strength in songs like Times Of Trouble with the reality of how he died.  I'm worried my feelings towards his music will forever be altered.
    Feeling the same way. It will be utterly impossible not to think "he is not here anymore" while listening to his voice. I hope one day we could separate things. This man was a ton of answers for me, now I am full of questions.

What have recently happened has nothing to do with what he has done at others moments in his life. In some way yes, but I feel, i don't know, he wasn't clean, he couldn't think properly. I mean, I have no idea, it's just too sad. 
    You are over complicating things. Whether he did this on his own omission or under the influence of perception drugs, does not change the person he was or the songs 's wrote at the time. 
    Sorry dude, may my english is not good enough, but is not that what I said? I mean, Im gonna try to keep enjoying and watching his whole movie instead of get stuck with last picture.

Anyway, I go with your words too. Thanks.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:

In retrospect, the exit button was always there. Soundgarden split in 1996 at their peak, and Audioskave split before Revelations was even 
    promoted or toured. What we perceive and what is going on slowly reveals.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    BS44325 said:
    my2hands said:
    BS44325 said:

I think people kill themselves for all sorts of reasons.  It's easy to speculate either way why he did it, but having read up of the drug he was taking for anxiety, I don't think we can discount the influence that may have had.  By all accounts a lot of users end up abusing it without even realising it - let alone anything else he could have been taking.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    We'll never know.  

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rgambs said:
    I really don't want to be disrespectful to Chris, his family, or his legacy, but I have had a nagging thought since the beginning of this terrible news.

Is it possible that it was an accident?  I'm not explaining what I mean, some folks will get what I mean and some won't, but it just keeps circling the back of my mind and I haven't heard anyone else suggest it.
    I don't judge what people do when they aren't hurting anyone else, so I don't see it as disrespectful, but I suppose some might.
    It's just hard to wrap the mind around, scrambling for answer is a natural tendancy, but I guess it doesn't do a damn bit of good.
    it has been mentioned. i know what you are talking about. when i said 'death by misadventure', that's what i was referring to. and someone else actually mentioned the act a few pages back. it is possible, but we'll never know i guess. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:

it has been mentioned. i know what you are talking about. when i said 'death by misadventure', that's what i was referring to. and someone else actually mentioned the act a few pages back. it is possible, but we'll never know i guess. 
    You're right, we'll likely never know.  I've thought the same about a famous comedian, one of my favorites.  But the dangers of "misadventure", whether related to these situations or not, probably should be addressed (and probably on a different thread) and the dangers made known.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    solace23 said:
    So a little smile in this shitty time. I was playing songbook while having dinner and my 3 yr old stopped in his tracks and started singing black hole sun at the top of his lungs. He has asked me to play it on repeat at least 5 times now. It's his bed time and he's lying in bed still singing it
    Thanks for this bit of sunshine.  Very sweet (and kudos for exposing your little one to great music).
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Went for a run this morning...iPod was on shuffle. I haven't been able to listen to any of his songs since he passed away, and I've tried a few times. While on my run, PJ's "Other Side" came on & stopped me in my tracks. I paused the song, jogged over to a nearby bench, sat down and pressed play. Tears started welling up and next thing you know, I was openly crying and mourning. I was in high school when Cobain died, and in college when Staley passed away. The only other musician's death that has affected me this much was when Elliott Smith passed away, and it took me a long time to be able to listen to his music. All 4 of these deaths happened at very different points in my life. After thinking it over, I think Cornell's passing has affected me so much because I've been listening to him since I was 12 when my sister gave me a Soundgarden cassette for Christmas thinking that "I might like them." Boy, was she right. Cornell is only 13 years older than I am, has kids and a loving wife. I feel like (on some level), I can relate to his life.

As "Other Side" was nearing its end, I closed my eyes and started to get up from the bench. The next song was by Metallica, then The Doors, then Bob Dylan, then Weezer. I skipped them all. Then the familiar opening notes of Chris Cornell's "Disappearing One" came on. I wiped my eyes, turned it up as loud as it could go & continued with my run.

His music and voice will never be forgotten, and will never be replicated or replaced. He gave us all a gift, and for that, I am thankful. He will always be one of my favorite singers and songwriters, along with being a huge musical influence. Thank you for your gift, Chris Cornell. I pray that your family, friends, bandmates and fans may find some peace in the difficult days ahead.

Sorry for the rambling post. Wishing all of you nothing but the best. Be well, all.

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    still kinda in denial :disappointed:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley