Pearl Jam Anthology - The Complete Scores Book

Comments

• davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    No Solo transcriptions is pretty half assed... bummed...
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    mcgruff10 said:

mrk2 said:

Totally, WTF? Alive solo just says "Gtr 1 ad lib til the end". Gee, thanks.

seriously?!
    There's the whole Alive score on the Amazon preview.. And pages of Animal and ATY... when the guitar solo occurs, they just write 'Guitar Solo' (well thanks for the information) and something like 'Guit. 1 play ad lib solos'.. (really, it's not a joke) they don't even write 'solo in A pentatonic or E pentatonic ecc.'.. a complete disaster.. and for what I seen, the Alive score isn't even that accurate and complete for the other parts, apart from the very simple main riff (I been playing that song for the last 20 years or so, I know what I'm saying). This is totally only a money grab product with little to no value, imo.. I imagine songs like Red Mosquito, 1/2 full and NAIS, 'lead guitar ad lib til the end', and that's it.. the people in charge of writing this book probably didn't have too much time in their hands.
    Now I know there are 9.999.999 bigger problems in this world but still.. What a joke, what a fuckin joke...
  • scaleloktscalelokt Posts: 35

Guys, what a let down...
    I was so pumped about this book..But now.. I have doubts about even buying it.. after having seen the previews pages..
    Complete my ass... Guitar solos are not included.. at all.. not even the more simple ones (All those yesterdays).. Yeah, why losing time transcribing it? we just put a note saying 'Guitar Solo', and we're good.. wtf? the Alive score is really poor, imo (apart from the missing solo).. for example, in the main riff, there's that slight variation during the verses (the D note played instead of the A note on the 7th fret): this is not present on the score, just 'play simile'.. and the rest of the score isn't so accurate too..
    What a waste of an opportunity.. I retire what I said before.. Since I guess all the songs will be made that way, this a total rip off.. I could make better scores of all the songs (solos included) and gave it for free to people.. really.
    ..oh, and now we know what streamlined means.

ps: is this really 800 pages? judging by how the songs are transcribed, 240 (like indicated on Amazon) seem already enough..
    Is there something we're missing? Please, someone at TC, is this 240 or 800 pages? and are the previews a real representation of how the book will be done? Edit: well, seem like 816 pages is right, looking at the summary of the songs displayed.. I guess 240 is just a mistake..
    But this book remain a huge disappointment... why this band can't have decent music scores?

So when viewing the pages on Amazon you'll notice that pretty much everywhere the guitar solo would begin there is a warning message that says "Page 30 is not shown in this preview" or "Page 45 is not shown in this preview" etc. I suspect that those pages have the guitar solos and they don't want you to see those without buying the book. At least that is my hope, I just can't imagine they would skip the guitar solos that's just not possible. The Hal Leonard versions have the guitar solos, and this book says Hal Leonard right at the beginning so they must be in there.
    Also being a Hal Leonard style book you can be sure that the transcriptions are very close but not spot on with how the band actually played it. Still I'm really excited about this, if it gets me close I can figure out the rest by ear. I've never seen transcriptions for tons of these songs so it will be really fun to play them!
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    edited April 2017
    scalelokt said:

So when viewing the pages on Amazon you'll notice that pretty much everywhere the guitar solo would begin there is a warning message that says "Page 30 is not shown in this preview" or "Page 45 is not shown in this preview" etc. I suspect that those pages have the guitar solos and they don't want you to see those without buying the book. At least that is my hope, I just can't imagine they would skip the guitar solos that's just not possible. The Hal Leonard versions have the guitar solos, and this book says Hal Leonard right at the beginning so they must be in there.

If you look at the Contents page the Alive tab starts at page 8... All or None starts at page 14.... Go to the preview... Every single page of the Alive tab is shown in the preview (8,9,10, 11,12,13)... page 14 is missing (the first page of All or None). THERE ARE NO GUITAR SOLOS TRANSCRIBED.

scalelokt said:

Guys, what a let down...
    I was so pumped about this book..But now.. I have doubts about even buying it.. after having seen the previews pages..
    Complete my ass... Guitar solos are not included.. at all.. not even the more simple ones (All those yesterdays).. Yeah, why losing time transcribing it? we just put a note saying 'Guitar Solo', and we're good.. wtf? the Alive score is really poor, imo (apart from the missing solo).. for example, in the main riff, there's that slight variation during the verses (the D note played instead of the A note on the 7th fret): this is not present on the score, just 'play simile'.. and the rest of the score isn't so accurate too..
    What a waste of an opportunity.. I retire what I said before.. Since I guess all the songs will be made that way, this a total rip off.. I could make better scores of all the songs (solos included) and gave it for free to people.. really.
    ..oh, and now we know what streamlined means.

ps: is this really 800 pages? judging by how the songs are transcribed, 240 (like indicated on Amazon) seem already enough..
    Is there something we're missing? Please, someone at TC, is this 240 or 800 pages? and are the previews a real representation of how the book will be done? Edit: well, seem like 816 pages is right, looking at the summary of the songs displayed.. I guess 240 is just a mistake..
    But this book remain a huge disappointment... why this band can't have decent music scores?

I really don't think that's the case, unfortunately... the missing pages are for other songs/parts.. so you are suggesting the pages they are showing have been modified? Look at the Alive score, my friend, it's all there.. I suggest to not expecting much from this book, otherwise you'll be even more bummed.. I know the HL Ten book has the solos (I have it)..
    If you think about it, what's the point of showing modified preview pages that would give the impression of an incomplete book? They are 816 pages, they don't have to show the whole book, just few pages that are showing you the way the scores are done.. solos are not in there, period. at least not for Alive, animal, all those yesterdays, and all or none (and 99% sure for any other song)
    davidos said:

scalelokt said:

If you look at the Contents page the Alive tab starts at page 8... All or None starts at page 14.... Go to the preview... Every single page of the Alive tab is shown in the preview (8,9,10, 11,12,13)... page 14 is missing (the first page of All or None). THERE ARE NO GUITAR SOLOS TRANSCRIBED.

Yeah, you explained it better than me.
    Well you could very well be right, that would really suck. The amazon description even says every note from every instrument is transcribed. If there are no solos I'm returning it straight up. Why would they make an enormous 800+ page book and intentionally remove the solos that were already transcribed in previous Hal Leonard versions?? If they did they will get massive amounts of returns plain and simple.
    So I emailed the 10 club under "problem with my order" and asked them to verify whether there are guitar solos transcribed in the book, and if there are not then to cancel my pre-order. I'll let you know if/when I get a response
    edited April 2017
    scalelokt said:

Well you could very well be right, that would really suck. The amazon description even says every note from every instrument is transcribed. If there are no solos I'm returning it straight up. Why would they make an enormous 800+ page book and intentionally remove the solos that were already transcribed in previous Hal Leonard versions?? If they did they will get massive amounts of returns plain and simple.

You are right about the description, because I just noticed Amazon literally says: "Every note from every instrument that was recorded for each song is carefully transcribed for an amazing documentation of this influential band." (clearly not true if you look at the previews)
    So, either the description is plain wrong, or the previews are not the actual pages of the book. Someone at TC should really step on and give us a clarification.. I still think no guitar solos will be included, but I hope I'm wrong obviously..
    On the TC shop on here they say something a little different "THIS DELUXE HARD-COVER BOOK PROVIDES 130 COMPLETE LYRICS AND TRANSCRIPTIONS OF EVERY SONG ON THE PEARL JAM ALBUMS TEN THROUGH LIGHTNING BOLT. OVER 800 PAGES OF MUSIC CONTAIN LYRICS AND STREAMLINED TRANSCRIPTIONS OF EVERY INSTRUMENT THAT WAS RECORDED. GUITAR AND BASS PARTS ARE WRITTEN IN BOTH STANDARD NOTATION AND TABLATURE."
    Yeah, COMPLETE LYRICS AND TRANSCRIPTIONS OF EVERY SONG would give the impression of completeness.. but STREAMLINED TRANSCRIPTIONS OF EVERY INSTRUMENT THAT WAS RECORDED is a different thing, too.. what's the truth?
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
    scalelokt said:

So I emailed the 10 club under "problem with my order" and asked them to verify whether there are guitar solos transcribed in the book, and if there are not then to cancel my pre-order. I'll let you know if/when I get a response

Thanks, I'm curios to know the answer (if they give it to you)..

ps: and I noticed 'Hummus' is on the book, too! (I don't think it's in the list of songs)
    So no Alive solo (one of the most historic solos in rock'n'roll) but they bother to trascribe Hummus? It's funny, to say the least
  • xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 187
    edited April 2017
    Cool, interested to hear what reply you get. If there are no solos I'll be cancelling too as that is not what I expected the book to be.

Post edited by xnothingmanx on
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368

scalelokt said:

Cool, interested to hear what reply you get. If there's no solos I'll be cancelling too, as that is not what I expected the book to be.

Now they definitely won't respond ha
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2017
    Outrageous!!!
  • -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    edited April 2017
    davidos said:

NO solo?

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    oof. I may need to cancel as well. that's a bummer...
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332

davidos said:

NO solo?

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited April 2017
    scalelokt said:

I'd cancel anyway, and wait until it is released and someone can verify. Then save $30 and buy from Amazon.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

scalelokt said:

ps: and I noticed 'Hummus' is on the book, too! (I don't think it's in the list of songs)
    So no Alive solo (one of the most historic solos in rock'n'roll) but they bother to trascribe Hummus? It's funny, to say the least
    Hummus too? Well if someone can confirm if they transcribed "Writer's Block" I'll get this for sure!
    mace1229 said:

scalelokt said:

Hummus too? Well if someone can confirm if they transcribed "Writer's Block" I'll get this for sure!
    Yeah, seriously.. I remember learnig to play that song years ago, its actually pretty funny to play.. if you look at the previews on Amazon, it's after ATY, they even indicate the 'silence' between the two tracks..
    Writer's Block? Here's the 'transcription': randomly AD LIB push keys on your typewriter
  • soopsoop Posts: 191
    edited April 2017

Writer's Block? Here's the 'transcription': randomly AD LIB push keys on your typewriter

typewriter solo
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I don't play an instrument... probably why this doesn't seem like a big deal to me
    soop said:

typewriter solo
    don't forget 'ad lib'.. it's important!
    my2hands said:

I don't play an instrument... probably why this doesn't seem like a big deal to me

Playing instrument or not, giving a misleading description for an item is never a good thing to do, can we agree on that?
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    I'm no expert on tab books but are solos (especially mike quality solos) normally tabbed?

How would you go about doing that? I'm sure mike doesn't have time to go through 130 songs and solos and tab each one. The solos on those songs have changed so much over the last 25 years would he even remember the exact studio recording?

As an intermediate guitar player this book is awesome. I think if you are an advanced guitar player wanting to learn the exact solo played 25 years ago you should just do what mike does now and improvise the solo.
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    Yes, they are. Especially "Mike quality", ie basic pentantonic blues-based solos are normally tabbed. It is not up to Mike to remember what he has played, someone else does the transcriptions.For example the Alive solo is pretty easy to figure out and write down.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    Leaving out something like the short solo in Animal, at around 1:48 - 2:05, total of eight bars. It is not even to save space, they use 4 bars to show how to play the bass line, but not this simple run of notes. I could understand the rest of the solo (under Eddies outro vocals) to be listed as "ad lib", but not this.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    edited April 2017
    Now @ $63.49 CDN w/ free shipping. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1495060411

Whoa!!! 6666
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    mace1229 said:

scalelokt said:

I'd cancel anyway, and wait until it is released and someone can verify. Then save $30 and buy from Amazon.
    Wisdom.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    I vaguely remember borrowing a mate's Mellon Collie tab book (may have been Hal Leonard but not sure) and I recall it being not only accurate as far as I could tell, but it had an excerpt from Billy Corgan. That gave me a lot more faith in the quality of the tabs-it implied that he had some input. It certainly shat all over the Ten tab book which was a joke. I'd like to know the band had input-otherwise it doesn't seem worth it to me. Missing Given To Wail that's for sure :)
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/1495060411/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3EOH35LPFGQFD&coliid=I3IVHYSEIO821J

Its down to $45 now on Amazon if you have Amazon Prime that means its literally half the price as Ten Club right now and you'll get it 2 weeks earlier.
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'