The Chicago Blackhawks Thread

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

The only thing that still gives me hope is we were down 2-0 to the Blues in 2014. Buuuuuut we also lost those first two games in OT and actually scored a few goals.

Yeah, they were in those games. I was pretty shocked when they brought the same exact gameplan in to the second game. "Well, what we tried in game 1 didn't work, so let's do the exact same thing..." Ugh
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Awful. I fell asleep on the couch after the 2nd period and they were up 2-0. Woke up and the postgame show was on talking about a Hawks loss. Would be nice if Toews showed up....the captain hasn't scored a goal in his last 12 playoff games. Can't believe it's looking like this team will be knocked out in the 1st round 2 years in a row......wonder if Q will start feeling some heat.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    2nd most points in team history this season - he's probably untouchable right now. However, if they have a subpar season next year or a another 1st round exit, I'm sure the heat will be on.

2nd most points in team history this season - he's probably untouchable right now. However, if they have a subpar season next year or a another 1st round exit, I'm sure the heat will be on.

Oh yeah...I doubt it would be soon, but it's just brutal for a team with this much talent to get knocked out in the 1st round 2 years in a row.
    Especially to a team that's only beaten them 5 times in the last 3 seasons.
    Absolutely pathetic fucking performance by this team. I don't even know what to say right now...so shocked.
    3 goals in 4 freakin games. Damn near shut out 3 of the 4 games; took an empty net/power play combo to score last night. Pathetic month of April.

3 goals in 4 freakin games. Damn near shut out 3 of the 4 games; took an empty net/power play combo to score last night. Pathetic month of April.

So disappointing. Will be interesting to see what they do in the offseason. A lot of bloated contracts on this team right now.
    Toews had a really bad year, hopefully he'll bounce back. I almost feel like something off the ice is bothering him. He just never seemed to have that focus and leadership he's known & loved for this season. His body language last night after he scored, you could tell he just wanted to get the game over with and go home.
    Defense really needs an overhaul. Too old and slow. Seems like every game this season we were outshot by a wide margin. Crawford is way too inconsistent at goal and lets in so many stinkers. I don't know if Darling is the full-time answer, he seems to do better in short sprints.
    Definitely will be interesting to see what moves are made over the summer.

Toews had a really bad year, hopefully he'll bounce back. I almost feel like something off the ice is bothering him. He just never seemed to have that focus and leadership he's known & loved for this season. His body language last night after he scored, you could tell he just wanted to get the game over with and go home.
    Defense really needs an overhaul. Too old and slow. Seems like every game this season we were outshot by a wide margin. Crawford is way too inconsistent at goal and lets in so many stinkers. I don't know if Darling is the full-time answer, he seems to do better in short sprints.
    Definitely will be interesting to see what moves are made over the summer.

Not sure if I would call it a bad year from Toews. His point total is pretty similar to what it has been over the past few years. They were still the top team in the western conference so they were obviously doing something right.

Absolutely agree that the defense needs some fresh blood. TVR didn't do much this year to inspire much confidence. I still say that trading Nick Leddy instead of Sharp at the time is one of the worst moves Stan Bowman has ever made. Trading away a 23 year old D-man instead of an aging winger....just awful.

Not a great year for Crawford, but don't think things would have ended up any differently if Darling had been their starter all year. Just don't think Crow is worth $6M per year especially when you see the rest of these bloated contracts on this team.
    Great stuff from Darling here...amazing that he made it after all of the stuff he has been through.  Going to miss that guy...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/scott-darling-goodbye-chicago/
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Great stuff from Darling here...amazing that he made it after all of the stuff he has been through.  Going to miss that guy...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/scott-darling-goodbye-chicago/
    Came here to post this story
    "But I needed to get in shape, and I didn’t have enough money for a gym membership, so I’d be out there ripping around the pond listening to Pearl Jam and telling myself that things were going to get better if I just kept working hard."
    Go Hawks!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Sad news about Hossa.  He actually had a really nice year last season.  Sounds like he may be done for good.  If that's the case, I'm guessing he'll go on long term IR so the Hawks don't get fucked on the salary cap.  If he retired, the Hawks would get punished on the cap for Hossa's front-loaded contract...even though the contract was completely legal at the time.  The NHL is so dumb....penalizing teams after the fact for something that wasn't against the rules at the time.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19695482/marian-hossa-chicago-blackhawks-miss-2017-18-season-skin-disorder
    Very, very sad news about Hossa.  A future hall-of-famer and just a great guy all around.

I'm already a little sickened at seeing so many articles about the damn cap space, especially that hack Greg Wyshynksi.  Marian Hossa has been nothing but a class act and hard-working player his entire career.  And the first thing some of these idiots want to do is write shitty articles riddled with obvious bias and jeaousy about how the Hawks are trying to weasel their way around the cap.  One article I saw on Deadspin (yeah, I know) even went so far as to title it "Marian Hossa may be done, and that's pretty convenient for the Blackhawks."  Have some god damned sympathy for the man, for fuck's sake!!  Pretty convenient?  Convenient is not even on the list of words I'd consider for losing one of our best players and one of the absolute best 2-way forwards in the game is convenient.  These assholes can fuck off!
    Very, very sad news about Hossa.  A future hall-of-famer and just a great guy all around.

I'm already a little sickened at seeing so many articles about the damn cap space, especially that hack Greg Wyshynksi.  Marian Hossa has been nothing but a class act and hard-working player his entire career.  And the first thing some of these idiots want to do is write shitty articles riddled with obvious bias and jeaousy about how the Hawks are trying to weasel their way around the cap.  One article I saw on Deadspin (yeah, I know) even went so far as to title it "Marian Hossa may be done, and that's pretty convenient for the Blackhawks."  Have some god damned sympathy for the man, for fuck's sake!!  Pretty convenient?  Convenient is not even on the list of words I'd consider for losing one of our best players and one of the absolute best 2-way forwards in the game is convenient.  These assholes can fuck off!

So sad about Hossa.  He has been a pleasure to watch for the past 8 seasons.  And like you said, seems like an all around great guy.  

Yeah, Wyshynski is a fucking clown.  Sure, the contract was heavily back-loaded when they signed him.  But that was within the rules at that time!  The thing that pisses me off more is that the NHL is now penalizing teams for something that wasn't against the rules!  I keep seeing that they "circumvented" the cap....they got creative like many teams did then with contracts.  The fact that the NHL was dumb enough to not see that coming should be the big story....I love hockey, but the NHL is easily the worst run league out there.  Fuck Bettman....he was just bitter that teams made the league look stupid with these contracts.  Rant over.
    I know, right?!!  The fact that the league even came out yesterday and said they were going to "look at" the Blackhawks situation really pisses me off.  Like you said, the contract was completely legal when it was signed.  I don't recall anything in the latest CBA stating that new regulations could be retroactively applied.
    I know, right?!!  The fact that the league even came out yesterday and said they were going to "look at" the Blackhawks situation really pisses me off.  Like you said, the contract was completely legal when it was signed.  I don't recall anything in the latest CBA stating that new regulations could be retroactively applied.

The debate is the long term injured reserve vs. retirement.  If he did retire, then the Hawks would be penalized for their "circumvention" of the cap with the contract.  Apparently this was put into the last CBA in 2013.  So yeah, they could essentially punish teams with these type of contracts if their players retire early....but it's all after the fact.  And that's why all these teams are going to use the LTIR designation...which in the case with Hossa is legit.  Just an absolute mess of a situation created by the incompetence of the NHL.
    Yep, similar to the Pronger situation.

Bettman just needs to go.
    Yep, similar to the Pronger situation.

Bettman just needs to go.

Yep.....he's the worst.

In more uplifting news....the tribute to Bickell last night at the NHL awards was really cool.  Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.
    Holy crap!

Panarin to the Jackets for Saad.
    Holy crap!

A lot of action for Hawks on Friday!  Panarin was awesome offensively, but I think Saad is the better all around player.  Plus, I don't think the Hawks would have been able to afford Panarin in a couple years when he'll be due a new contract.

The Hjalmarrson deal is tough.  Unfortunately he's one of the only guys with a big cap hit that they'd be able to move.  Sucks to lose a guy like that who was part of all 3 Cups.  I'm sure Bowman has plenty more to do here once free agency starts.  
    edited June 2017
    Holy crap!

A lot of action for Hawks on Friday!  Panarin was awesome offensively, but I think Saad is the better all around player.  Plus, I don't think the Hawks would have been able to afford Panarin in a couple years when he'll be due a new contract.

The Hjalmarrson deal is tough.  Unfortunately he's one of the only guys with a big cap hit that they'd be able to move.  Sucks to lose a guy like that who was part of all 3 Cups.  I'm sure Bowman has plenty more to do here once free agency starts.  
    Agreed on all points. I like the Saad deal, it just took me by surprise.  Hated seeing him go 2 years ago.
    It has been a real struggle lately.....they have been terrible defensively.  Hopefully Crawford comes back soon. 
    Is that really the first post in 7 months?  Damn, we're slacking!

Guess there hasn't been much to get excited to talk about.  We got Anisimov back, thankfully.  But it's pretty clear that Crawford is and has been for the last 3 seasons, our MVP.
    This team has been painful to watch!  Still planning on going when they are in town against the Coyotes.  Wouldn't surprise me if they blew that one too.  
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I have tix for 2/15 and don’t even want to go. Will likely give them away to a business partner. Pretty sad 
    bbiggs said:
    I have tix for 2/15 and don’t even want to go. Will likely give them away to a business partner. Pretty sad 
    Yeah, buzz is definitely way down for the Hawks.  I've been getting emails from them before just about every home game this year saying that there are still tickets available.  And then I look at the insane prices and just laugh.  
    Well the playoffs won't be happening this year...they've been really tough to watch lately. 2-7-2 in their last 11 games coming out of the all star break.  Just awful.

It's definitely time for the Hawks to make some significant changes....Q has to be on the hot seat.  I know it sounds crazy, but I think they should trade Toews...him and Kane both having these $10-11M cap hits are killer.  Or maybe they can trick some team into taking on Seabrook's contract...that one still has 6 more years left with a cap hit around $7M!!!  They have to do something major.
    Well the playoffs won't be happening this year...they've been really tough to watch lately. 2-7-2 in their last 11 games coming out of the all star break.  Just awful.

It's definitely time for the Hawks to make some significant changes....Q has to be on the hot seat.  I know it sounds crazy, but I think they should trade Toews...him and Kane both having these $10-11M cap hits are killer.  Or maybe they can trick some team into taking on Seabrook's contract...that one still has 6 more years left with a cap hit around $7M!!!  They have to do something major.
    They are really, really hard to watch this year.  They are in town tonight.  In the past, I would never miss them...but I didn't even really consider it much this year.  The team is average at best.  It's really just a couple of guys who are good, a bunch who are ok, some position fillers and a couple who's good days occurred years ago.  Q make no adjustments at all, their PP is garbage, their transition play is garbage and it seems like everyone just stands around waiting for someone else to make a big play.