What book are you reading?

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Just finished these two most recent books in the Saxon Tales series. Loved them.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    This was recommended by a board member here....thought I already read it but I see now that I did not. I intended to read it!
    Series starts soon so I want to read it now.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    Ms. Haiku said:

I read this and enjoyed the first half but he kind of lost me towards the end. How did you like it?
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Tough Jews
    About Jewish gangsters...Arnold Rothstein, Meyer Lansky, etc..
    riotgrl said:

Ms. Haiku said:

I read this and enjoyed the first half but he kind of lost me towards the end. How did you like it?
    Almost half through :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    23scidoo said:

I read this and liked it years ago
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I wanted to go back to a classic, so am now rereading A Mote In God's Eye by Pournelle and Niven.

23scidoo said:

I read this and liked it years ago
    Amazing book..check this from the seme author..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Oooh, I picked that up but haven't started it. It's in the pile. Is it good?

Oooh, I picked that up but haven't started it. It's in the pile. Is it good?
    I attempted to start it last night, but my three month old had other plans for me...

Hope to turn some pages over the weekend.
    Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer
    The Life We Bury

I AM MINE

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Finally getting to the bottom of my reading pile, lol, on to The 10 Natural Laws Of Successful Time And Life Management by Hyrum W. Smith (hopefully some of this takes hold on me, lol).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Earlier this year, I really got into reading Thomas Hardy. It started with Tess of D'Urberville. I absolutely loved that book. Absolutely, completely, fanatically loved it.

A while later I went on to Jude the Obscure. Jude was Hardy's last novel. He lived several years after writing it but only wrote poetry from then on because Jude was given universal, scathing reviews. The book challenged the then current (late 1900's England) established customs of marriage, family and religion. It's another amazing piece of literature. However, it is also one of the most depressing pieces of fiction I've ever read and contains a passage that is more disturbing than any I can remember reading. After finishing the book I thought, "Well, is this just me?" So I looked up some reviews on Geed Reads and came across one that basically said in one line: "If you need just that little extra push toward suicide, this is the book for you." I thought that was outrageously funny and spot on. It's a great book, but not at all the place I would suggest starting Hardy with!

And the other interesting thing is, after doing a little research, I learned that in real life, Thomas Hardy was known to be a generous, joyful, positive person who believed in the ability of humans to do good things and make life better. I guess he just let all the angst he ever possessed flow onto the page.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Halfway through, I can't wait to pick up this book and read whenever possible.
    This book contains the most deplorable human being ever put down on paper. (fictional)
    What does this say about me?

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Malroth said:

This book contains the most deplorable human being ever put down on paper. (fictional)

It says that you enjoy a well written book with fascinating characters (going by the synopsis I read).

I just started reading Testimony, the autobiography/memoir of Robbie Robertson, one of the original members of The Band.
    ELITIST FUK
    Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    SD48277 said:

Malroth said:

It says that you enjoy a well written book with fascinating characters (going by the synopsis I read).

I just started reading Testimony, the autobiography/memoir of Robbie Robertson, one of the original members of The Band.
    Would love to hear what you think of Robbie's book when you finish, SD. Sounds like a winner!

I'm currently reading Dallas Taylor's (CSNY drummer) very engaging and fascinating memoir, Prisoner of Woodstock. Good stuff (unless one is offending by the occasion carpet f-bombing).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2017

Post edited by 23scidoo on
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

Helter Skelter - The True Story of the Manson Murders

A total page turner.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Still reading my list of eight. But have added articles as well..
    Burning Woman by Lucy Pearce

I AM MINE
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited April 2017
    New dad-to-be so, of course, "Someone Could Get Hurt" by Drew Magary
  • The Gift...Hafiz....
    Translations by Daniel Ladiinsky...
    Anew...
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I'm reading a book about lynx, my favourite animal
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    Never Caught: The Washingtons' Relentless Pursuit of their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge by Erica Armstrong Dunbar