America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I was surprised to hear a sign could make it illegal. If I have a government issued permit that I applied and paid for, took a class and passed a background check, why can a private business owner take that away? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited April 2017
    mace1229 said:

I was surprised to hear a sign could make it illegal. If I have a government issued permit that I applied and paid for, took a class and passed a background check, why can a private business owner take that away? Doesn't make sense to me.

Well, ultimately a private property owner should always trump whatever government says. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. Agree or disagree.

It is like baking a cake for the gay couple. Go find another bakery. Respect the property owner.

Concealed means concealed.
    unsung said:

mace1229 said:

Well, ultimately a private property owner should always trump whatever government says. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way. Agree or disagree.

It is like baking a cake for the gay couple. Go find another bakery. Respect the property owner.

Concealed means concealed.
    It is different when you run a business for the public. I would agree if a baker can't decide who to bake cakes for, then a restaurant owner shouldn't be allowed to trump government either.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    unsung said:

dudeman said:

Hopefully, one day, people will realize that "Gun Free Zones" encourage attacks rather than prevent them.

Fish in a barrel.
    Is there data to support the claim that gun free zones encourage attacks?
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    The last time I knew, 92% of mass shootings occurred in gun free zones. I'm pretty sure there is a source linked earlier in this thread.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dudeman said:

The last time I knew, 92% of mass shootings occurred in gun free zones. I'm pretty sure there is a source linked earlier in this thread.

Well that's helpful, lol.
    So what about nightclubs, which now seem to be a target? We want everyone packing heat in nightclubs now?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    So I would think, regardless of statistics, that gun free zones would attract more nut cases with intent to kill masses of people. That's like having it known that certain banks do not have security guards, and expecting those not to be targeted for more robberies... :i_dunno:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    mace1229 said:

Not sure what the laws are in your state, but it may not technically be illegal. In TN, it's only illegal to carry (even if you have a permit) in a few areas, i.e. court that is in session, schools, drinking at a bar. However, business owners can put up signs saying they do not want firearms on their premises. If a business owner puts up one of these signs, then they are liable for said permit holder if they are injured or killed by violence while on that property. If you do not put up a sign and openly allow any permit holder to carry a firearm on your property, you are immune from any harm that that person may endure from any form of violence that may happen to them while on your property (I think that law only applies to permit holders and not the general public, but not 100% sure)

ponytd said:

mace1229 said:

Not sure what the laws are in your state, but it may not technically be illegal. In TN, it's only illegal to carry (even if you have a permit) in a few areas, i.e. court that is in session, schools, drinking at a bar. However, business owners can put up signs saying they do not want firearms on their premises. If a business owner puts up one of these signs, then they are liable for said permit holder if they are injured or killed by violence while on that property. If you do not put up a sign and openly allow any permit holder to carry a firearm on your property, you are immune from any harm that that person may endure from any form of violence that may happen to them while on your property (I think that law only applies to permit holders and not the general public, but not 100% sure)

It was illegal until a few years ago. If a store owner put a sign requesting no guns, then it would be illegal to carry even with a permit. From what I heard the Aurora shooting helped change that.
    I specifically asked the instructor that question, because I thought those signs only applied to open carry, and I was told no, any form of carry, including concealed, it was illegal and could be charged with a crime for doing so.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mace1229 said:

ponytd said:

mace1229 said:

It was illegal until a few years ago. If a store owner put a sign requesting no guns, then it would be illegal to carry even with a permit. From what I heard the Aurora shooting helped change that.
    I specifically asked the instructor that question, because I thought those signs only applied to open carry, and I was told no, any form of carry, including concealed, it was illegal and could be charged with a crime for doing so.
    In Texas, it has to be a very specific sign (30.06 or 30.07) meeting guidelines such as font size and being hung in an easily viewed entrance point. A "no guns allowed" sign does not meet the legal criteria for preventing someone from legally carrying a firearm, it is merely seen as a request or suggestion from a legal standpoint. That being said, if you refuse to leave a place of business when asked, other legal factors may come into play.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited April 2017

unsung said:

dudeman said:

Hopefully, one day, people will realize that "Gun Free Zones" encourage attacks rather than prevent them.

Fish in a barrel.
    :weary:
    Post edited by unsung on
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

So what about nightclubs, which now seem to be a target? We want everyone packing heat in nightclubs now?
    LOL @ "packing heat".
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

unsung said:

dudeman said:

Fish in a barrel.
    No. The fact that the majority of the spree killings occur in those zones is reflective of who/what the shooters want to target. School shooters from Columbine up chose the school as the setting because of the people there and what the school represented, not because it happened to be a gun-free zone
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Wow, someone in the heads of a bunch of killers.
    unsung said:

Wow, someone in the heads of a bunch of killers.

Which someone? The ones saying they target gun free zones specifically, or the ones saying places where people congregate in large groups also happen to be gun free zones?
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

No. Not everyone. Those who have gone through the steps to obtain a permit to carry concealed should be able to, IMO.

These people are statistically more law abiding than the average civilian, have at least some degree of firearms training and have passed a criminal background check.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Gun violence will always be part of our country it's just the way this country works guns are part of the fabric ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....

Gun violence will always be part of our country it's just the way this country works guns are part of the fabric ...

I'm afraid you're right.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    dudeman said:

I'm afraid you're right.
    As long as gun rights don't trample any of my rights I say go at it own as many weapons as you feel the need too ...

dudeman said:

I'm afraid you're right.
    As long as gun rights don't trample any of my rights I say go at it own as many weapons as you feel the need too ...
    And that is exactly the idea.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    My whole country is a gun free zone, funny how that seems to work for us...
    Why people should be concerned about those "databases" and regulations surrounding mental health/firearm ownership.
    https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/04/state-forced-return-500-guns-incompetent-doj-raid/?stv=a
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited April 2017
    PJPOWER said:

Why people should be concerned about those "databases" and regulations surrounding mental health/firearm ownership.
    https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2017/04/04/state-forced-return-500-guns-incompetent-doj-raid/?stv=a

Even that very biased article doesn't demonstrate a reason to be concerned about regulations surrounding mental health/firearm ownership per se, just that they have to be properly followed and enforced.

And the fact that the individual in question has not had a criminal conviction for a violent act does not in any way mean he isn't or hasn't been violent. It's a spurious argument to make, particularly when we are talking about people with mental health issues, where violent acts may well lead to admission to hospital for assessment and treatment rather than a criminal conviction. At least, that's the way it generally should go, though admittedly that often isn't the way it goes, particularly in the US but often in Canada, too.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    unsung said:

dudeman said:

I'm afraid you're right.
    And that is exactly the idea.
    Whoa I can't believe I actually posted something that you agree on ..
    PJPOWER said:
    Did I read it right that they're charging the driver with murder? Seems odd.
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Felony murder rule. If you and I rob Uncle Irving's liquor store and unc Irving pulls out a magnum and shoots and kills me or any bystander in thestore, YOU GET THE BODY not Irving
    edited April 2017
    rssesq said:

Felony murder rule. If you and I rob Uncle Irving's liquor store and unc Irving pulls out a magnum and shoots and kills me or any bystander in thestore, YOU GET THE BODY not Irving

Right, if the crime that someone is committing directly results in the deaths of accomplices or anyone else, the responsibility for those deaths is of the person/people committing the crime.
    PJPOWER said:

rssesq said:

Right, if the crime that someone is committing directly results in the deaths of accomplices or anyone else, the responsibility for those deaths is of the person/people committing the crime.
    It seems like it wouldn't fit the definition of 1st degree murder, though. Maybe more amt lawyers can chime in.
This discussion has been closed.