America's Gun Violence

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I can't afford a tank, I can afford a firearm.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/28/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-suspected-getaway-driver-arrested.html

The would-be burglars had "a short exchange of words" with the homeowner's 23-year-old son before he shot them with a rifle, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney said. The unnamed shooter has not been charged, and Mahoney said he appeared to be acting in self-defense -- but investigators said more charges could be coming.

Wait, wait, wait...aren't AR-15s impractical for home defense as stated by the anti-firearms experts around here? Seemed awfully practical in this situation...I find it odd that they didn't use the term "assault rifle" as usual. Where is the "teen uses assault rifle to stop three home intruders" NBC headline?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541
    Now you've got your logics crossed. People defend AR-15s because they say they're little more than a dressed up hunting rifle. Which of course, it is. Dressed up to be a military grade weapon, for military purposes, not civilian use.

"The decision marks the fifth time that a federal appeals court has upheld a state assault weapons law, but it goes further than those previous decisions. It is the first to exclude AR-15s and other similar guns from Second Amendment protection on the grounds that they are virtually indistinguishable from weapons of war. The court found that such designation overrides considerations of the common usage or suitability for home self-defense of a gun like the AR-15."

A tank would probably be pretty useful for home defense, too. But you don't see one of those parked my front yard.
    Nice false equivalency regarding the tank...but this civilian used it for home defense pretty well. Who argued that they were dressed up hunting rifles? I remember people arguing that they were effective and practical for hunting and that certain features did not make them "deadlier". It is a semi-automatic rifle. There are plenty of other semi-automatic rifles that fire just as fast, they just don't have the "assault rifle" stigma attached to them. Sad that some courts are ruling this way, personally I can think of a very distinguishable difference between ar-15s and "weapons of war"...has to do with the differences between "semi-automatic" and "fully-automatic" and select fire.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    unsung said:

I can't afford own a tank, I can afford a firearm.

ftfy

There is my issue with the 2nd Amendment. As interpreted now, it only protects those individuals who can afford to purchase a firearm. What about those who can not?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/28/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-suspected-getaway-driver-arrested.html

The would-be burglars had "a short exchange of words" with the homeowner's 23-year-old son before he shot them with a rifle, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney said. The unnamed shooter has not been charged, and Mahoney said he appeared to be acting in self-defense -- but investigators said more charges could be coming.

Wait, wait, wait...aren't AR-15s impractical for home defense as stated by the anti-firearms experts around here? Seemed awfully practical in this situation...I find it odd that they didn't use the term "assault rifle" as usual. Where is the "teen uses assault rifle to stop three home intruders" NBC headline?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541
    Now you've got your logics crossed. People defend AR-15s because they say they're little more than a dressed up hunting rifle. Which of course, it is. Dressed up to be a military grade weapon, for military purposes, not civilian use.

"The decision marks the fifth time that a federal appeals court has upheld a state assault weapons law, but it goes further than those previous decisions. It is the first to exclude AR-15s and other similar guns from Second Amendment protection on the grounds that they are virtually indistinguishable from weapons of war. The court found that such designation overrides considerations of the common usage or suitability for home self-defense of a gun like the AR-15."

A tank would probably be pretty useful for home defense, too. But you don't see one of those parked my front yard.
    Nice false equivalency regarding the tank...but this civilian used it for home defense pretty well. Who argued that they were dressed up hunting rifles? I remember people arguing that they were effective and practical for hunting and that certain features did not make them "deadlier". It is a semi-automatic rifle. There are plenty of other semi-automatic rifles that fire just as fast, they just don't have the "assault rifle" stigma attached to them. Sad that some courts are ruling this way, personally I can think of a very distinguishable difference between ar-15s and "weapons of war"...has to do with the differences between "semi-automatic" and "fully-automatic" and select fire.
    The AR-15 is basically marketed as a weapon of war that you (YES YOU!) can legally own, because they made it semi-automatic.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited March 2017
    unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

That doesn't fit the narrative of the radical lefty anti-gunner.
    Mostly true, but let's not disregard the gun toting radical-left idiots either:
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/03/john-boch/trump-hating-leftists-march-guns-bloodshed-horizon/
    Here's the video:
    https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=fda_1490585820
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

How is this a false equivalency? Let's say I'm loaded ass rich and own acres of land. Maybe my own island? Why wouldn't I want my own fleet of jets with missiles, tanks, rocket launchers to protect myself (or even just for kicks)? Hell, with the way wage disparity is headed in this country, the rich should seriously consider protecting themselves with tanks and private armies.
    edited March 2017
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

How is this a false equivalency? Let's say I'm loaded ass rich and own acres of land. Maybe my own island? Why wouldn't I want my own fleet of jets with missiles, tanks, rocket launchers to protect myself (or even just for kicks)? Hell, with the way wage disparity is headed in this country, the rich should seriously consider protecting themselves with tanks and private armies.
    I don't know if anyone saying there should be no restrictions, just not ridiculous or infringing ones....and people's definition of ridiculous and infringing is what is in argument. Banning a semi-automatic rifle is ridiculous in my opinion. If you want to start arguing that tanks and jets should be restricted to the military, then go for it...but it would only be opposed by the extreme. That's why it's a false equivalency. It's like me turning it around and saying "let's ban water guns since you want to ban stuff". There are extreme differences between an ar-15 and tank and there are extreme differences from an ar-15 to a water gun.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

There is my issue with the 2nd Amendment. As interpreted now, it only protects those individuals who can afford to purchase a firearm. What about those who can not?
    the 2nd Amendment guarantees your right to own guns if you can afford them or not is your issue, but if past presidents can hand out cell phones why not issue each American citizen a SW 9mm on their 18th birthday ?...now everybody is covered.

• rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    WHERE MY OBAMA FONE AT?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    rssesq said:

WHERE MY OBAMA FONE AT?

It's a Reagan-Bush phone.
    unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

The narrative at play is righties taking one anecdotal story and then generalizing from there. A 12 gauge is more practical because the shooter is more likely to hit the other person, and misses won't go ripping into the neighbors house.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    unsung said:

I can't afford a tank, I can afford a firearm.

A firearm is no match for a tank, which is what the government has along with fighter jets and missile drones. I don't think your gun is going to do much for you when the revolution starts. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    rssesq said:

WHERE MY OBAMA FONE AT?

barry only gave em out so the n$a could track the po as well
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

I don't know if anyone saying there should be no restrictions, just not ridiculous or infringing ones....and people's definition of ridiculous and infringing is what is in argument. Banning a semi-automatic rifle is ridiculous in my opinion. If you want to start arguing that tanks and jets should be restricted to the military, then go for it...but it would only be opposed by the extreme. That's why it's a false equivalency. It's like me turning it around and saying "let's ban water guns since you want to ban stuff". There are extreme differences between an ar-15 and tank and there are extreme differences from an ar-15 to a water gun.
    Now you're comparing apples and oranges when you talk about water pistols. Which, incidentally require something like a bright orange tip to specifically distinguish them from real guns.

Let's say I make $50K per year. And I buy a $500 gun. That's 1% of my income.

Last year Bill Gates fortune went from $75 billion to $86 billion. 1% of that is $110 million dollars. Which is roughly the cost of a brand new F-35. Why shouldn't he be able to purchase one if he can afford it?

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

the 2nd Amendment guarantees your right to own guns if you can afford them or not is your issue, but if past presidents can hand out cell phones why not issue each American citizen a SW 9mm on their 18th birthday ?...now everybody is covered.

Or more logically, the 2nd Amendment was referring to a well-regulated militia, which would make more sense.
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Now you're comparing apples and oranges when you talk about water pistols. Which, incidentally require something like a bright orange tip to specifically distinguish them from real guns.

Last year Bill Gates fortune went from $75 billion to $86 billion. 1% of that is $110 million dollars. Which is roughly the cost of a brand new F-35. Why shouldn't he be able to purchase one if he can afford it?

Because all the surplus F-35's go straight to Israel on OUR dime. Good Night and good Luck

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

Bernie or Hillary would give it to them for free.

unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

The narrative at play is righties taking one anecdotal story and then generalizing from there. A 12 gauge is more practical because the shooter is more likely to hit the other person, and misses won't go ripping into the neighbors house.
    I will use what I want and I do not need govt or your permission to make that decision for me.

Thanksverymuch.
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

Or more logically, the 2nd Amendment was referring to a well-regulated militia, which would make more sense.
    I am in a militia. My State Constitution says so.

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Let him, I have no problem with the purchase of the aircraft.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

I will use what I want and I do not need govt or your permission to make that decision for me.

Thanksverymuch.
    Don't worry, we're still free to make a lot of stupid choices.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

Isn't it funny how the well-regulated militia part is oft-forgotten?
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

The AR-15 is basically marketed as a weapon of war that you (YES YOU!) can legally own, because they made it semi-automatic.
    They do sell kits to convert a semi automatic AR 15 to fully automatic. You can legally buy both the kit and the gun, but you cannot "legally" convert it... so I'm sure everyone abides by this law...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    Post link to said kit.
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited March 2017
    unsung said:

Post link to said kit.

Look up ar full auto (parts kit) at gunbroker site. I thought about buying one for mine, but why do I need it??? I thought. Better safe not getting it in case they want to somehow crack down on it in the future...
    One of my relatives got one for a Colt for around $150
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • unsung said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

You tipped your hat again.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJPOWER said:

Thanksverymuch.
    Don't worry, we're still free to make a lot of stupid choices.
    As we should be.

unsung said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

You tipped your hat again.
    Just stating the truth. Promises promises. Free free.
    unsung said:

CM189191 said:

CM189191 said:

unsung said:

ftfy

I am in a militia. My State Constitution says so.

We've been over this. If you're in a militia, then you can store your constitutionally protected armaments down at the armory with everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.