The Official UFC/MMA Thread

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Gonna have to catch up for sure
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Rousey returns tomorrow night. I say she makes Nunes submit in the first round, then calls out Holm, who is basically being handed the new featherweight title, deliberately setting up Rousey to be "double champ" on their big card in July and then retire.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719

Rousey returns tomorrow night. I say she makes Nunes submit in the first round, then calls out Holm, who is basically being handed the new featherweight title, deliberately setting up Rousey to be "double champ" on their big card in July and then retire.

I could see that. Got myself some pretty good seats to see Holm at 208. First live event for me since jones beat sonnen 4 years ago.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2

I could see that. Got myself some pretty good seats to see Holm at 208. First live event for me since jones beat sonnen 4 years ago.
    if Holm doesn't win I will be shocked.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Why? Rousey is a badass chica, and she has a chip on her shoulder now.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    This is definitely going to be a good fight. Both ladies want this bad...
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    Darn. Wanted Ronda to win
    I miss igotid88
    Ronda definitely needs a new trainer
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited December 2016
    Currently hanging out with all Alvarezs' boys who all think they could have kicked his ass
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    No Love with a dominant performance! Whooped ass on Cruz!

Awesome. For a tiny little white trash town like I am from this is fantastic for him to win, and in such dominant fashion. I never rolled with him because he was small and young, but I wrestled with No Love. Amazing fight, Dillashaw is going to be a war.

Currently hanging out with all Alvarezs' boys who all think they could have kicked his ass

Who's ass? No Love? Just let them try lol
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:

Who's ass? No Love? Just let them try lol
    Haha Alvarez. They just think it's crazy he's where he's at. They all got in fights and he was just a little dude who kept to himself for the most part

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    guess we'll be seeing Rousey in the wwe ring soon then.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    rhonda can go cry on her pillow case filled with $3m.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

rhonda can go cry on her pillow case filled with $3m.

That's pretty much what Nunez said too!

#shehasenoughmoney!!
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719

guess we'll be seeing Rousey in the wwe ring soon then.

She's not too much of a draw anymore. She's lost her aura.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    rgambs said:

Why? Rousey is a badass chica, and she has a chip on her shoulder now.
    I was referring to Holm at UFC208 fighting for the featherweight strap.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I said this last week to my co worker: "if ronda fights nunez like she faught holm, she loses; if she fights her bread and butter she wins". I can't believe her stupid ass coach has it in her head to stand up with strikers/boxers. that's like telling holm to try to get ronda in an arm bar. lunacy.

either she retires or she fires edmund. she can't keep him and succeed.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I've lost interest since Lesnar lost his title and titles not lasting very long in peoples hands now a days, so...

Who are the big stars now? Where are GSP, Silva etc? are these guys done? Who are the new guys to watch?
    Both Silvia's are gone. GSP retired. You're just gonna have to watch and read up on the sport in its current ( :giggle: ) element to see whom you enjoy watching these days. The sport has evolved intensely over the last 10 years. Some really amazing talent out there now.
    Silva.. stupid phone.. lol

I've lost interest since Lesnar lost his title and titles not lasting very long in peoples hands now a days, so...

Who are the big stars now? Where are GSP, Silva etc? are these guys done? Who are the new guys to watch?

-Anderson Silva is not gone (although his last 5 fights have been 4 losses and 1 NC). He lost his last fight to Daniel Cormier in July 2016. He was a last minute replacement for the suspended Jon Jones.
    -GSP retired a few years back, has been trying to negotiate with UFC to return, but they are stalling on money. Back when GSP fought, you could still get sponsorship money from your own sponsors. Now that UFC is full-on Reebok, fighters lose out on the money BIG TIME. GSP wants to be compensated for the difference. Dana White keeps telling the press "GSP doesn't want to fight".
    -Rousey is probably done.
    -Conor McGregor is the one to watch, although after he won the second title, he said he won't be back for at least 10 months (October 2017), as he has a baby on the way.
    -Cody Garbrandt was the first guy to beat Dominick Cruz in 10 years, to win the Bantamweight title. Money says he will go up against TJ Dillishaw next.
    -Jon Jones is back in July 2017 from suspension.
    -the heavyweight division is thin as fuck. Velazquez had to be pulled from ANOTHER fight due to not being fit to fight (the NSAC found out he had surgery scheduled for 5 days after the fight Dec 30-denied him his licence)
    -Cyborg just got suspended for doping (she's the invicta champ but also fights in UFC-she's the one Dana White called "Wanderlei Silva in a dress"). With that, and with Rousey on the downswing, that superfight will now never happen.

basically, all the guys that were dominant just a few or even two years ago are losing their steam. Robbie Lawler, Johny Hendricks (who just missed weight a THIRD TIME and then lost the decision to Neil Magny), Anthony Pettis, Junior Dos Santos, Cain Velasquez, Jose Aldo, Rousey, the list goes on.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

For sure! I thought Anderson was o longer fighting. I stand corrected. But yeah, as HFD pointed out, the selection is pretty much all new.
    Connor is a trip, but definitely has the talent. And Cody Garbrandt is going to be awesome if he keeps training the way he has been.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited January 2017
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Connor is a trip, but definitely has the talent. And Cody Garbrandt is going to be awesome if he keeps training the way he has been.

I have mixed feelings about Connor. I was a fan in the beginning, then when he started his Ric Flair jet-flying-limousine-riding schtick where it was all about money and fast cars and big houses, it annoyed me. have some freaking humility. and then he lost to Nate Diaz, HANDILY, and kept talking about how he was the best in the world still. Give the guy props for jumping two weight classes to fight him on short notice, but still. it's great for entertainment and PPV buys, as I'm sure I'm not in the minority of people who have switched from watching to see him win to watching to see him lose. I just want someone to shut his mouth. I thought Alvarez would. He DOMINATED. So props to him for backing it up.

And no, I don't hate on all success stories. I dislike pompous asses. I love Rousey. I am sad she's probably done. I'm rooting for Jon Jones to come back and shut Daniel Cormier's mouth. The most boring fighter on the roster.

The issue I have with this "double champ" business is, it's only 15 pound difference between weight classes. that's not a massive difference. it's not like he is the featherweight and light heavyweight champion. I'm sure many guys would have/could have done the same thing if Dana had given them the chance to do so. Connor gets what he wants. It's unfortunate because, as good as he is, I think if other guys had been afforded the same things as he has been, he wouldn't be considered so special.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I have mixed feelings about Connor. I was a fan in the beginning, then when he started his Ric Flair jet-flying-limousine-riding schtick where it was all about money and fast cars and big houses, it annoyed me. have some freaking humility. and then he lost to Nate Diaz, HANDILY, and kept talking about how he was the best in the world still. Give the guy props for jumping two weight classes to fight him on short notice, but still. it's great for entertainment and PPV buys, as I'm sure I'm not in the minority of people who have switched from watching to see him win to watching to see him lose. I just want someone to shut his mouth. I thought Alvarez would. He DOMINATED. So props to him for backing it up.

And no, I don't hate on all success stories. I dislike pompous asses. I love Rousey. I am sad she's probably done. I'm rooting for Jon Jones to come back and shut Daniel Cormier's mouth. The most boring fighter on the roster.

The issue I have with this "double champ" business is, it's only 15 pound difference between weight classes. that's not a massive difference. it's not like he is the featherweight and light heavyweight champion. I'm sure many guys would have/could have done the same thing if Dana had given them the chance to do so. Connor gets what he wants. It's unfortunate because, as good as he is, I think if other guys had been afforded the same things as he has been, he wouldn't be considered so special.
    Very strong points. I look at it this way. Every fighter has 1-3 Peak stretches in
    Their career; in general that is enough. However this sport has evolved into the likes of horse racing, where freaks in the sport start appearing less and less. So those peaks are becoming harder and harder to maintain. The advantage of human sport is that there's strategy mixed in with the genetics, training, and passion and drive.
    So I watch each fight with an open mind/clean slate theory. Yes, I choose according to personality as well, however, there is as well the ability to walk your talk. I think Connor is serious and will train and fight with heart, because like Secretariat in HIS sport, Connor loves what he does. Does he need to get his head knocked around a bit more?? Yep. He definitely needs to learn some humility. And Rousey has a legacy. She stood out, she succeeded as far as she could.. But in her way through, she changed an entire sport.. period. I wish her all the best, but she needs to learn to get bashed on the face, if she wants to keep fighting.

Very strong points. I look at it this way. Every fighter has 1-3 Peak stretches in
    Their career; in general that is enough. However this sport has evolved into the likes of horse racing, where freaks in the sport start appearing less and less. So those peaks are becoming harder and harder to maintain. The advantage of human sport is that there's strategy mixed in with the genetics, training, and passion and drive.
    So I watch each fight with an open mind/clean slate theory. Yes, I choose according to personality as well, however, there is as well the ability to walk your talk. I think Connor is serious and will train and fight with heart, because like Secretariat in HIS sport, Connor loves what he does. Does he need to get his head knocked around a bit more?? Yep. He definitely needs to learn some humility. And Rousey has a legacy. She stood out, she succeeded as far as she could.. But in her way through, she changed an entire sport.. period. I wish her all the best, but she needs to learn to get bashed on the face, if she wants to keep fighting.
    or how to put her hands up so she doesn't get bashed in the face. or go for the clinch right away like usual. for someone so dominant for so long, her striking defence is AWFUL. which is the main reason she should never have tried to stand up and strike with women whose striking is their strength. that was just unbelievably bad coaching.

there's an interesting theory that has been discussed about Rousey and her actual skill vs her hype; that she wasn't all that good to begin with, and once fighters realized she's beatable, they weren't defeated before getting in the cage. it appeared as though Holm wasn't scared, and Nunez definitely wasn't. that is a massive shift in momentum. once fighters were able to get past the first blitz of the first minute or so, their chances of winning increased exponentially. Sara McMann (pretty sure it was her) almost did it by getting Rousey's back and nearly tearing her head off.

Connor is entertaining, no doubt about that. I follow him on Twitter, and he posted a pic of himself in front of his mansion on the mountainside overlooking the water, with the caption "I'd hate me too". I just abhor materialism or people that think that they are superior because of their money. Maybe he's humble at home away from the cameras and whatnot, maybe it's just a persona, but he can come off as such a dick.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Every fighter doesn't have a long shelf life in terms of being dominant in the UFC. I don't think we'll ever see a fighter go 40-0. Unless I missed it
    I miss igotid88