Options

NASCAR and Eddie Vedder

124»

Comments

• Options
    lolobugg said:

One thing i was able to confirm is that NASCAR fans enjoy their alcohol..........

https://youtu.be/3fSIr8kYo9g

You are allowed to bring a cooler INTO the race! There is allowed to be beer IN that cooler!!! You know how much money I saved on beer?!?

I've actually seen more fights at baseball games then at a NASCAR race, true story. NASCAR fans are actually mellow for the most part sans this individual in the video...
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

lolobugg said:

One thing i was able to confirm is that NASCAR fans enjoy their alcohol..........

You are allowed to bring a cooler INTO the race! There is allowed to be beer IN that cooler!!! You know how much money I saved on beer?!?

I've actually seen more fights at baseball games then at a NASCAR race, true story. NASCAR fans are actually mellow for the most part sans this individual in the video...
    she just got confused and thought she was at Mardi Gras

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    rbhester said:

joseph33 said:

My reasoning is as follows. #1. Not a sport.#2. Not good for the environment. #3. 99.9 percent of fans most likely voted for Trump.#4. A majority of fans more than likely at one point,laid hands on a female.#5. Television reception in more than half of viewers,probably takes place at a trailer park. NASCAR is no different than watching paint dry. Would people here still defend it,if they didn't make a large sum donation to Ed's charity? My guess is no.

I hope you're joking, but in case you're not:
    #1 - You can define "sport" however you wish, but it is. Many NASCAR drivers participate in Triathalons (Jimmie Johnson, Josh Wise, Landon Cassill off the top of my head) and are finely tuned in hand/eye coordination and adapted their bodies to a high level of G forces they incur in a race car. They can lose over 8 pounds in a race and are on strict hydration schedules.These guys are athletes, plain and simple.
    #2 - All NASCAR vehicles run on E85 Ethanol. Recycling bins and stations are found seemingly every 30 yards at NASCAR sanctioned events. I've seen more trash left behind (and thrown on the field for that matter) at professional football games over NASCAR races.
    #3 - Total opinion with no fact to that percentage whatsoever. Out of 40, over 20% of NASCAR Cup series drivers are from California. Check out the democratic/republican voting percentage in that state. Some of the highest attended NASCAR sanctioned races occur in California, Delaware, New Hampshire.
    4# - Again, zero facts. With many of them donating to charity and having foundations of their own for children and women, that's absolutely false. Myself and several of my friends (I can think of 50 individuals off the top of my head) that watch have never committed battery towards a female. So that ruins your "majority".
    5# - Those same 50 I mentioned in #4, none live in a trailer. They own homes & the land they are perched upon.

I'm not an enormous NASCAR fan but I do know a lot about it and am friends with several involved/employed by it, and all of your points are pure stereotypes with no factual basis whatsoever. You may not like it personally, but that doesn't justify slandering it with zero fact and your own stereotypical/bigoted opinion.

Totally agreed. I'm a Nascar fan and have attended roughly 20-30 races over the last 20 years or so. The sport is evolving and so is its fan base and many other aspects of the sport.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    lolobugg said:

Not sure what was more awesome/terrifying the sweet pole dancer, the raging country music, that rednecks drink elitist F'me beer(or maybe it's the other way around) or that fucking killer mullet!
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    rbhesterrbhester Posts: 212
    edited December 2016

They run Sunoco E15, not E85.
    Even better!

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

lolobugg said:

Not sure what was more awesome/terrifying the sweet pole dancer, the raging country music, that rednecks drink elitist F'me beer(or maybe it's the other way around) or that fucking killer mullet!
    F'Me drinks Coors Light?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    lolobugg said:

lolobugg said:

F'Me drinks Coors Light?
    How do you not know that?
    And yes he does.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    joseph33 said:

My reasoning is as follows. #1. Not a sport.#2. Not good for the environment. #3. 99.9 percent of fans most likely voted for Trump.#4. A majority of fans more than likely at one point,laid hands on a female.#5. Television reception in more than half of viewers,probably takes place at a trailer park. NASCAR is no different than watching paint dry. Would people here still defend it,if they didn't make a large sum donation to Ed's charity? My guess is no.

Spend 4-5 hours in a racing suit insulated by fire-retardant undergarments, with a helmet, with track temperatures at 100+ F, going at speeds of 120+ mph, pulling 2-3g's into a corner every 30 every seconds... tell me how your body feels the next morning and then try to say it isn't a sport.
  • Options
    Pearl JamesPearl James Pittsburgh/Chicago Posts: 420
    joseph33 said:

What perplexes me the most about Nascar is I never hear their fans shove the sport down other people's throats, incessantly brag, or make a big deal why they like it so much. But the people who dislike Nascar never shut up about it. This is one of the most bizarre posts I've seen on here in a long time.
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    Back to the topic at hand. Ed's reaction to the million dollar donation was great! Good on the Motorsports Industry!
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    JojoRice said:

RACECAR spelled backwards spells RACECAR

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    That was a really nice moment. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That should go in the Good News thread too.

Beautiful :)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Awesome, did not see this thread originally.  Not a Nascar guy, although I have been to a race.  Certainly lots of booze, rednecks, loud noise, and sun.

Love that my redneck beer of choice made it into the commentary above!  (Hell yes, I am a Coors Light drinker.  Born & raised.  Will go Coronoa or Pacifico if I am pounding tequila...or Stella/Steinlager if I am only having one or two.  (1 or 2 is a rarity.)  Embrace who you are, even if it makes you a redneck!)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Dang, missed a great thread.

1 opinion I’ll offer...not a sport. Not everything that takes physical ability is a sport. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    pretty awesome!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited November 2017
    DewieCox said:
    Dang, missed a great thread.

1 opinion I’ll offer...not a sport. Not everything that takes physical ability is a sport. 
    Agree. It's not a sport like pinball or gaming isn't one.
    Wow, is this ever a controvercial issue though, lol. My ex was a sport radio producer, and one time we were on vacation, and suddenly he got 100 texts all at once while we were lounging on the beach. Turned out that the hosts on his show (biggest sports radio show in the province at the time) got in a terrible, yelling argument about whether or not NASCAR was a sport, and it got so heated that one of them actually got up and stormed out of the room, abandoning the show while on air. :rofl: It was in the newspapers and everything, lol. I think it made my ex feel good though, and made him look good to management - the assumption was that if he had been there instead of on vacation he would have kept his hosts under control, hahaha.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata