What book are you reading?

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    The Great Bridge by David McCullough
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Ms. Haiku said:

Great book!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    edited November 2016

Bacola's band, Second Coming ended up playing a show with Mad Season on New Year's Eve - it was '95 going into '96 at RKCNDY. The first show they did was the Crocodile, the second show was at RKCNDY with us, the third show I believe was the Moore Theatre. And I think they did one more Crocodile show. And that was it - as far as I know. During that time period, he did probably fifteen to twenty shows with Second Coming - he was late every single time. It was exciting - for me to share a stage with him again... was great. He wouldn't move a whole lot but he dominated that crowd, just by his presence. He did a song called "It's Coming After", which he recorded with us on our first record (1995's L.O.V.Evil). He would come to some of our gigs, because we were doing a cover band as well - to finance Second Coming. He would come out to some of those shows on the outskirts of Seattle, hop onstage, and sing "Would?" or "Man in the Box" with us. He would usually pull up with my dad. My dad was a big Greek guy - looked like Paul Sorvino, like he belonged in the Mafia. He would show up with my dad and another one of my dad's buddies - total mafioso looking guy. They would be in suits like his two security bodyguards, Picture Layne walking with Paul Sorvino and Robert DeNiro into a club. Layne would be in a suit also. The crowd would go crazy. ~ Yanni "Johnny" Bacolas

I remember coming back to my apartment by the Seattle Center - my little neighbourhood had a coffee shop and a grocery store. All of a sudden, it was totally different, I hadn't been home for a few months, and I remember going to the coffee shop, sitting down and reading the paper, and thinking, "Why is everybody atring at me? What's going on?". Suddenly, this little neighbourhood that I lived in for five or six years was different. As it intensified, I just bailed on it. That's when I started going back to Montana, and reconnected with friends there. From that point on, when we had time off, I either went back to Montana, or if we were going to Europe, I would go early to Greece or Paris. I bailed on Seattle for pretty much that whole time - I spent very little time there for those two or three years. It felt like you were on tour still, even though you were home. It felt like you were under a microscope wherever you went. We'd all heard about "sophomore slump". We were feeling that, and a combination of all that stuff - it was a pressure cooker. Making (1993's Vs.) really wasn't that much fun, even though we were in an amazing spot - north of San Fransisco, in the best studio we'd ever been in. There was a swimming pool in the back, and it was in the mountains. It was kind of (like) where I grew up, so I was super-comfortable with the location. And we were recording with Brendan O'Brien - it was the first time we'd ever been in the studio with a real producer who knew his shit. If yout told him, "I want the bass tone to be like Motorhead", or "I want the bass tone to be like Funkadelic", he knew how to dial it in. There were all these amazing things happening, but I don't think anybody was really having much fun. ~ Jeff Ament

When Cameron Crowe was making Singles, Jeff Ament worked on the set on the art direction. The set that he created as Cliff Poncier's apartment had stacks of cassettes lying all over - one was Cliff's demos. Jeff went so far as to put song titles on the cassette - something no one looking at a movie would ever see. Chris was visiting the set, saw that, took those song titles, and wrote those songs as a gift for Cameron. The A&R guy at A&M, as a gift, pressed them into CDs. Put the cover artwork that Jeff had put on Poncier's demo, pressed up a thousand, and gave them to us. They got around. "Fluttergirl", "Spoonman", "No One But You", "Missing", and I think there's one more. ~ Susan Silver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roSG_k2VOX8
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    dankind said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Great book!
    Did you read the Wright brothers book by him?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

dankind said:

Ms. Haiku said:

Great book!
    Did you read the Wright brothers book by him?
    No. That one and the expatriate one have been on my to-read list for a while now. The subject matter just isn't as interesting to me as revolutionary America or the Brooklyn Bridge.

I've read 1776 and The Great Bridge twice each, and I'm wrapping up my second read of John Adams.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited November 2016
    You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train by Howard Zinn
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    edited November 2016
    "Ghosts Phantom" by Jo Nesbø..
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    1 corinthians 5;11-13
    1 timothy 3;8,9
    1 peter 5;2
    ecclesiastes 7;11,12
    james 1;12-27
    1 john 2;16-25
    james 1;27 without spot
    what i read today...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Nutters 1;15
    :yin_yang:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Malachi 3:2
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited November 2016
    Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
    edited November 2016

Being on Sub Pop would help sometimes. They were getting notoriety, and they definitely had collectors in some towns. And in some places it didn't help us much at all. Here comes a bunch of long-haired guys from Seattle wearing lime-green Doc Martens and motorcycle jackets, and you get up onstage in front of a bunch of farmers from Omaha, Nebraska, and they're like, "What in the hell is this?". And they start chanting, "Play 'Freebird'!". ~ Tracy Simmons

I saw Xana working in this used-clothing store on the same block as the Showbox. She looked like Cher: big nose, kind of Greek features, long dark hair. And Andy loved Cher. So I brought him to the store, and he was crazy about Xana. She was getting off work, so we followed her for a couple blocks to the bus stop. She stopped and said, "Why are you following me?". I remained silent, and Andy went and talked to her and they exchanged numbers. And, I mean, within days they were living together. ~ Regan Hagar

When Andy got to a city, he would pick up a newspaper before he got onstage and try to find the most outlandish thing that he could come up with just to catch tne crowd off guard. In Boston, he came onstage one night, and at the time, Michael Dukakis was running for president. Andy did the classic, "How ya doin', Boston?". Followed with, "I was just out drinking shots with Kitty!". And people didn't even know how to respond, since Kitty Dukakis obviously had an alcohol problem. ~ Michael Goldstone

The rehab place was an hour or two away. I used to drive out there every night and sneak him food. I'd be outside the window handing him pizza through the window, bringing him salads with feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. ~ Xana La Fuente
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    Strangers In Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning On the American Right by Arlie Russell Hochschild
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Colson Whitehead's Underground Railroad.
    Wobbie said:

The author filched his title from a Tom Waits song, I see.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

+1
    Ms. Haiku said:

I've already said this today, but that's the best book I've read in at least a decade.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Finished. Liked it a lot.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    photo images_zpszqkcpguj.jpeg
    dankind said:

Wobbie said:

even so, the book is good.

buwhahahaha! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Enkidu said:

love, love, loved it! was this at my recommend? :confounded:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Just finished The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert. A good reminder on the impact humans have had on their environment whether intentional or unintentional.
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    Wobbie said:

Enkidu said:

love, love, loved it! was this at my recommend? :confounded:

Book club. I love it - almost done.
    dankind said:

Ms. Haiku said:

I've already said this today, but that's the best book I've read in at least a decade.
    I'm at the part where Cora and Caesar are in SC. It seems to be one of the books that I can't read before I go to bed. The violent scenes are not long in text, but the effect is long in how they affect me.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I recently picked up Kinsella's The Iowa Baseball Confederacy. Hope to start on it this weekend.
    Ms. Haiku said:

Quick read. I would recommend it.
    Ecclesiastes 12:1,2,14
    1 Peter 5:2,3
    Matthew 18:4-10
    Psalms 9:17