REM- music really misses them

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2016
    Just a guess, but the IRS/BRS thing is possibly just about different languages/alphabets.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    WildFly said:

Question: The LP of "Out of Time", what is the major difference between the 1st release from US, vs Russia? I noticed that US has I.R.S on the label, and Russia is BRS. Can anyone go into more detail about the two releases. Thanks

Thought that one was Warner Bros.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Deluxe Out of Time out on 11/18! I'm ordering the 3 disc set. Anyone else going to? Can't wait for Automatic for the People!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • WildFlyWildFly Posts: 210

Deluxe Out of Time out on 11/18! I'm ordering the 3 disc set. Anyone else going to? Can't wait for Automatic for the People!

SoundStageDirect has all vinyl with a 20% discount. Use code LP20 to get discount. I just purchased the Deluxe Out of Time for $56 roughly with no tax or shipping, US. Pretty good deal! The 20% sale is finished on Sept. 8th
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    New Adventures is 20 years old today! Wow. 20 years on and it's still one of my favourite albums by any band.

http://youtu.be/5cnIQHJ169s

http://youtu.be/1LewYq40Svw

http://youtu.be/-R2hvKDFLHE

http://youtu.be/9BC07l2_zKU

http://youtu.be/_c_Yg8azAi0
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I'm glad you posted that about New Adventures... it was this or another REM thread that made me realize I've never listened to that album all the way through and I never bought it. I need to check this one out.. and Up which I also never bought. Thanks for the reminder!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

Automatic was just reissued last year.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    New Adventures is just fantastic.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    This is the week for the Out of Time reissue. Comes out Friday! Can't wait!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Michael Stipe eyes return to music apparently. Not sure if solo or band.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I love PJ but believe REM was a better and more influential band.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    They came to winnipeg once that i lnow of, to very little fanfare, and only played a 2000 seater. Sold out in seconds. Friends of mine were devastated.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I ordered the standard 1 LP version of the Out of Time reissue. Thought about getting the 3 LP, but I don't think I need all the demos.

?? Not seeing that man.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

?? Not seeing that man.
    Sorry, apparently I was incorrect. I bought it about a year ago thru soundstage, it is this release.
    https://www.discogs.com/REM-Automatic-For-The-People/release/3866356

Here's the Soundstage link which states it is now discontinued
    http://www.soundstagedirect.com/rem-automatic-for-the-people-vinyl-lp.shtml
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Looking for the deluxe reissue which they've been working in order of release to date. No interest in vinyl reissues any longer.
    www.cluthelee.com

Looking for the deluxe reissue which they've been working in order of release to date. No interest in vinyl reissues any longer.

How come?
    I read that the band cant stand to listen to a lot of the Out of time demos. They were demos and rejected for a reason etc. I dont see the point in some of the stuff that labels put out these days. The definitive versions usually make the record.
    FR181798 said:

I read that the band cant stand to listen to a lot of the Out of time demos. They were demos and rejected for a reason etc. I dont see the point in some of the stuff that labels put out these days. The definitive versions usually make the record.

Billy Corgan is the worst for this. He releases 100 demos for one album and 1, if that, are worth listening to more than once. the rest is throwaway garbage.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

FR181798 said:

Listening to the 25th anniversary on Apple Music now. Not really digging the demo's and understand why the band might dislike them.
    www.cluthelee.com
    bflynn1 said:

How come?
    I have less and less spare time to listen to a record, get up and turn the side over, etc,.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Rolling Stone magazine Germany had an exclusive free REM 7 inch recently if anyone is interested. I would have bought a few but the only way to pay was by IMO to the UK which my bank charges an extra £10 for. Hoping to find someone in Germany to pick me up a copy.

There has been similar exclusive 7s in the past. Oasis, Cash, Dylan. I imported a few Dylan and sold the extras on but was lucky to break even and Dylan has a bigger fan base than REM. REM singles don't sell so well.
  • pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    Out Of Time is favorite record by anyone, ever. The re-issue is great, I love the demos. As a musician myself though, I definitely get why they don't like to listen back to them.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I was fortunate to see REM on every tour from 1983 until the end. IMHO, they are one of the greatest American bands.

I have been listening to Live at The Olympia all morning....a great representation of their amazing catalog.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    JOEJOEJOE said:

I was fortunate to see REM on every tour from 1983 until the end. IMHO, they are one of the greatest American bands.

I have been listening to Live at The Olympia all morning....a great representation of their amazing catalog.

I almost was able to keep up with you JOEJOEJOE, I saw them on every tour from Fables through Up. You are lucky that you saw every single tour!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Daysleeper is such an excellent song.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027

Daysleeper is such an excellent song.

Absolutely!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Despite having seen the band int it's early years and being a long-time fan, I'd never seen all of Tourfilm until today.  I picked up a nice, sealed VHS and, much to my delight, my VCR player still works and I watched the film this afternoon.  Might fine stuff there! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    For a band that broke up they sure still do a lot of interviews (mostly about reissues).   It gives me hope that they still talk and get along but each interview I listen to they always slam the door on future shows and new music.  Oh well.  

I don't understand how they wouldn't want to play a few one off shows for fun each year.  Hopefully Pearl Jam doesn't get over their music and performing any time soon.