Election night 2016

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yep it looks like he's headed to the White House ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Wow...he's putting it away more quickly than I thought he would
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    This is not looking good.

#morewhiskey
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I am Canadian. But I am legitimately embarassed that, as a gag, The Simpsons predicted Trump as president, AND THEY MAY HAVE BEEN RIGHT.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    This sort of reminds me of the tease before the actuality of Clinton winning this election. Just another way to keep us tuned in right to the very end. I'm glad I got my shopping in for some new cycling gear. I'll have another white rum and Italian ice later. Lol

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

Do we need another thread? Why the fuck not?

I didn't know where to put this but the nytimes live forecast is amazing

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/forecast/president

Nyt has trump with 53% to win....holy sheet
  • g under p said:

This sort of reminds me of the tease before the actuality of Clinton winning this election. Just another way to keep us tuned in right to the very end. I'm glad I got my shopping in for some new cycling gear. I'll have another white rum and Italian ice later. Lol

Peace

:rofl:
  • This is a made for tv mini series finale. Clinton is winning. Senate and house are staying red. We all wake up and nothing has changed and all we did was make a shit load of money for the news networks believing their early story line.

If they'd just add Cali to the Clinton side on popular and electoral, this whole discussion would seem silly. I know they can't bc polls aren't closed, but they should just say if per se Cali is what cali is, here are the numbers.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Should've invested in Jim Beam or other alcoholic goodies yesterday.
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562

17 Reasons Why Your Vote Not Only Doesn’t Count, But is Part of the Problem
    http://thefreethoughtproject.com/reasons-vote-count-problem/#1Pqq8AK5P1Zetvsr.99
    1. Voting only validates the failing system. By casting a vote, you’re telling politicians you accept things the way they are — one of the worst educational programs in the Western world, a healthcare system mashup benefiting overgrown pharmaceutical and insurance companies, militarized police, and so on.
    2. Voting for a lesser of two evils — which the largest swath of the voting public will do today — equates an acceptance of evil. Just because one candidate seems on the surface to be less horrendous than the other, doesn’t mean the other isn’t also horrendous in their own right. When you continue, election after election, to vote for the lesser evil, evil always wins.
    3. Are you pro-war? Do you want young Americans to travel abroad to kill other nations’ civilians, and be killed themselves, for hegemonic usurpation of natural resources for the profit of government welfare-backed corporations, Big Banks, and industries? This is not defense of the country. This is not fighting for freedom. This is hubristic imperialism enforced by unadulterated violence. When you vote, you support needless war and death.
    4. Voting is state-sponsored force. In every nation, and particularly the U.S., people have stark differences in values, religion, beliefs, ideology, culture — the list is endless. By casting a ballot, you’re forcing your specific set of beliefs onto everyone — whether or not they agree. If your chosen lesser evil wins, the opposite is true — that is, even if that candidate follows through on their campaign vows … which brings us to …
    5. Presidential candidates are advertisers — they excel at propagandizing themselves as a tidy package of promises — but they rarely, if ever, follow through. President Obama originally ran on a platform of stark opposition to the Iraq War, and even somehow won the Nobel Peace Prize — but the U.S. military never left Iraq — and his administration just sent hundreds more troops there to fight. Campaign promises, by design, deceive voters into thinking things will be different ‘this time’ — voting is a display of gullibility.
    6. When you vote, the establishment wins. Always. In fact, the establishment’s only interest is self-preservation. This time around, Hillary Clinton obviously embodies establishment principles — but if you bought Donald Trump’s anti-establishment rhetoric (see number 5), you’ve been duped already. Not only does he have a longstanding relationship with the Clintons — which should’ve tipped off the attentive among us — in just one example, Trump plans to appoint a Goldman Sachs-George Soros insider who has donated large sums to Clinton’s campaign as Treasury Secretary. Soros, as you might be aware, is a billionaire globalist and extreme left-leaning influencer of foreign policy — which brings us to …
    7. Voters are presented with two choices, blue or red — but they’ll get purple either way. American politics are a duopoly, and though slight differences on social issues indeed exist, larger institutional matters — militarized police, education, the military-industrial machine, private prisons, etc. — are a general constant driving the rest. Thanks to the bottomless pockets of lobbyists, nothing substantial ever changes.
    8. Voting tells the international community Americans recognize the legitimacy of the system — with all its flaws, fraud, corruption, and collusion included. If the masses refused to vote, other nations would be alerted something has gone awry in the U.S. — and would not consider the election legitimate. Whatever candidate then attempted to take office would be considered a dictator, and if no one did, the failed system would be dismantled — providing a clean slate for something entirely new.
    9. Voting constitutes the tacit acknowledgement mob rule is a fabulous concept. When the majority elects a candidate, the minority loses. Voting tells the world you’re just peachy forcing your views on others — by force. Who needs rogue mobs of violent extortionists roaming the streets to impose the will of a few on the many, when you have— oh. Wait. That’s the police.
    10. Voting substantiates corporate influence over the legislative system. Not only were corporations granted personhood through the Supreme Court’s decision in Citizens United to allow unfettered campaign donations through corrupt Super PACs, but their uber-wealthy executives can do the same. Your vote doesn’t have any meaning if you can’t back a candidate by propping up their campaign with oodles of cash. Period.
    11. Your vote for a candidate whose platform (see number 5) you aren’t in complete agreement with validates bad policy. Saying, ‘I like Candidate X, except for their stance on social policy A — but Candidate Y is really terrible’ does not a viable argument make. Especially considering …
    12. No one really knows the candidates’ platforms anyway. Relying on the propaganda and rhetoric each spews during debates, rallies, interviews, and ads to understand what each will do once in the White House (see number 6) is akin to learning brain surgery from YouTube — you might think you know, but in practice, things could go very wrong. Most voters don’t even bother visiting the candidates’ websites to dig deeper — and might be quite unpleasantly surprised if they did. Not that informing yourself about what a candidate won’t do anyway actually matters.
    13. Voting is a sham. Though today is officially Election Day, early voters have already reported electronic voting machines magically switching votes — or flat out preventing people from choosing the politicians they want. Confusing ballot setups further mystify voters, as well. Not that paper ballots fared any better — those old enough will immediately, but not fondly, recall the hanging chad fiasco in utterly disastrous overall debacle of the 2000 election. Speaking of that…
    14. Your vote isn’t necessarily up to you, anyway. For example, in an exceedingly simplified rundown of the 2000 presidential election, an extremely close popular vote in Florida — worsened by ballot problems (see 13) — led Al Gore to challenge the results in court. Eventually, the United States Supreme Court intervened — but its decision a mere two hours prior to Florida’s deadline to finalize the vote tally essentially decided the national election in favor of George W. Bush. Many felt Gore would have won had a recount, or another election, been performed — particularly if undervotes, those the machines couldn’t read, had been hand counted. Oh well. So much for the value of the vote.
    15. Voting for a third party candidate just isn’t the rebellion you’ve been led to believe. That politician is as much a politician as those representing the duopoly — further, once that third party politician sits in the Oval Office, they’re as bound to follow the same establishment rules, and look to the same establishment Congress, as anyone. A third party candidate might seem different than their red or blue counterparts, but you’re still casting a vote for the failed system.
    Additionally, to address the naysayers, voting third party isn’t throwing your vote away when no votes have inherent worth. No vote is in itself an act of rebellion when all votes are a futile participation in the illusion.
    16. If you don’t vote, the irate masses warn, you aren’t fulfilling your civic duty — but the masses are simply stuck in the delusion that voting matters and don’t grasp the concept of coercive force. In no way is it your duty to impose your views on anyone by voting for this farcical system enriching the few at the cost of oppressing the many. Ire against non-voters only evidences exactly this point.
    Further, the choice to not vote isn’t a privilege of a particular race, despite claims to the contrary. Telling someone you don’t have the luxury of abstaining from the election shows an absurd ignorance of the mechanisms of our system of governance. No matter who sits at the helm, the stratification of wealth will continue, the militarization of police will intensify, and legislators will write into law policies benefiting the upper crust.
    17. Refusing to vote gives you both a clean conscience — and the right to complain.

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

This is a made for tv mini series finale. Clinton is winning. Senate and house are staying red. We all wake up and nothing has changed and all we did was make a shit load of money for the news networks believing their early story line.

If they'd just add Cali to the Clinton side on popular and electoral, this whole discussion would seem silly. I know they can't bc polls aren't closed, but they should just say if per se Cali is what cali is, here are the numbers.

Bout maybe they were right about Michigan?
    g under p said:

Peace

You're exactly right, g_p.
    g under p said:

Peace

You know what? I agree with this. Not because I'm hopeful, but because, as @Free has said several times, its all about the drama. I can't see Trump pulling this out.

Good god I hope not.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

g under p said:

Peace

You know what? I agree with this. Not because I'm hopeful, but because, as @Free has said several times, its all about the drama. I can't see Trump pulling this out.

Good god I hope not.

I don't say things because I want attention, I'm actually pretty introverted. It really is all about psychology; persuasion and manipulation are powerful tools the media use handily.

Peace out.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    to be honest, can someone please explain to me how the united states became this superpower when people vote for this guy? man, I am shocked not that I think Hillary is going to lose but that trump got this many votes
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    fife said:

to be honest, can someone please explain to me how the united states became this superpower when people vote for this guy? man, I am shocked not that I think Hillary is going to lose but that trump got this many votes

We became a super power after world war 2.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Free said:

g under p said:

Peace

Good god I hope not.

I don't say things because I want attention, I'm actually pretty introverted. It really is all about psychology; persuasion and manipulation are powerful tools the media use handily.

Peace out.
    I am amazed right now. CNN seems worried, I thought it was rigged???
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    mcgruff10 said:

fife said:

oh I know that with the land lease for weapons deal. I am just wondering how trump can be this close tbh
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    It isn't over by a long shot

g under p said:

Peace

:rofl:
    Looks like my state Florida is going to be the peninsula of TRUMP. ITS a win for him here, which is not surprising.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

fife said:

mcgruff10 said:

fife said:

oh I know that with the land lease for weapons deal. I am just wondering how trump can be this close tbh
    Because Hillary is such a shitty candidate. If Biden or sanders runs it s a tko after Maryland.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mcgruff10 said:

fife said:

mcgruff10 said:

fife said:

Because Hillary is such a shitty candidate. If Biden or sanders runs it s a tko after Maryland.
    Agree about Hillary.(Trump is shitty too)

And yeah, i too also think if Joe Biden ran he would've ran away from Trump. I wonder why he didn't run?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    hedonist said:

Should've invested in Jim Beam or other alcoholic goodies yesterday.

Two bowls and 1 whiskey down. More to come .
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Trump just took Ohio.... game over?
    TRUMP just won Ohio welcome to the new President elect. I wonder if he still thinks the election is rigged?

Peace

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mcgruff10 said:

Trump just took Ohio.... game over?

Not over. Way fucking hammered though.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

Do we need another thread? Why the fuck not?

I didn't know where to put this but the nytimes live forecast is amazing

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/forecast/president

The New York Times tracker has Trump at 82% winning...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    this is sort of what canada's former pm once said about his term ... the hardest issue he ever had to deal with was not whether or not to send Canada to Iraq but rather gay marriage ... this is because people will never outwardly proclaim their homophobia but in the security of their home or ballot box - they are free to express their ignorance ...

this is what's happening now ... people didn't want to say they would vote for trump but deep down trump represents more americans by a landslide vs hilary ...
  • EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    edited November 2016
    cutz said:

mcgruff10 said:

fife said:

mcgruff10 said:

fife said:

Agree about Hillary.(Trump is shitty too)

And yeah, i too also think if Joe Biden ran he would've ran away from Trump. I wonder why he didn't run?
    Also a rebuke of Obama. Make no mistake about it. She is terrible, but the fact the house and senate aren't flipping tells you who the American public thinks is the problem.

And btw, at this point win or lose, love or hate, you have to admitTrump ran a masterful campaign that will be studied for years to come. Dismiss as an oddity at your own peril. He spoke to people both parties had forgotten.
  • Nate silver now 55% trump. Wow.