Customs charges.....is it worth supporting 10C?

silvosilvo Posts: 283
edited October 2016 in The Porch
I know this keeps getting mentioned but didn't see a specific thread about it anywhere.
Having just received my Yield vinyl with £11 additional customs charge, and no doubt the same for No Code when it arrives, I was just wondering what keeps me buying from 10C?
I took a punt on these in the hopes of a variant and also because i'd rather buy direct from 10C, however incurring additional charges (plus delivery times) makes me seriously consider this in the future.
I appreciate that there are rules they have to adhere to with regards the customs declarations, etc but this never used to happen with goods bought from here. The only time up until recently was with the Ten Super Deluxe box, which I kind of understood given it's cost, etc......But then look at the TMR Vault release, they seemed to get it right without additional customs charges and the cost of that was more than your average LP!?!
I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this and suggestions of how 10C could avoid this to keep us non-US residents buying direct from the band?
Post edited by silvo on

Comments

• ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    edited October 2016
    I've been trying to lean away from ordering stuff from 10c that I can buy elsewhere. The Mail Innovations method doesn't seem to trigger Canadian Customs Charges, but Mail Innovations is pretty bad. It takes 2x to 4x as long for mail to get to it destination than sending it via USPS. It's pretty expensive too.

I feel the band gets paid either way. If I buy something from Amazon, An online record store, or even a local store, they still get their cut. I'm not screwing the band by ordering from a better alternative.

I ordered the Yield/No Code reissues and it's been a month since I got the email notifications. USPS would of done it in two weeks. I don't get why they keep using mail innovations?
    Post edited by Zod on
  • silvosilvo Posts: 283
    Agreed the delays with the postal carrier they use are ridiculous, don't have any issues with other orders from the US using different carriers.

However, IMO the delays in receipt are something I've got used to and generally accept, but getting stung with additional customs charges on top of having paid usually over the odds to get from ten club is starting to sting a little.

I guess now it's only the 10C exclusive stuff that I should be ordering from here.......but they've got me hooked with the vinyl following the random variant drops for LB and Sonic Symphony :/
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    Yah... that's why I ordered the recent reissues from 10c, but the slow delivery has me once again thinking about going back to my old mantra of order it from somewhere else :( Especially after shipping rates recently went up again. It's crazy expensive for the slowest/worst possible method of shipping they could choose :(
  • BigrfishBigrfish Edmonton, AB Canada Posts: 260
    I won't order from 10C again. Ridiculous..I could have supported my local record shop by purchasing from them and have the LP'S already at a lower cost.
  • Gibbon to FlyGibbon to Fly Sussex, UK Posts: 74
    I'd wish they would put an 'exclusive 10c' type comment when buying, would help in making an informed decision of whether to buy or not. I got stung on the yeild £11 custom charge.

London Wembley Arena 29/05/2000
    Milton Keynes Bowl 11/07/2014

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

EV - London Apollo 07/06/2017. Wembley Stadium 06/07/2019.

'Pearl Jam saved me from Hair Metal!!!'

• chelsea48chelsea48 Posts: 594
    If 10C just put gift on the label!! Well maybe bending rules but i wont tell!!
  • KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    Bigrfish said:

I won't order from 10C again. Ridiculous..I could have supported my local record shop by purchasing from them and have the LP'S already at a lower cost.

+1 I saw Yield, No Code and all the singles at local record shops last week of August.... and still waiting for my order. My membership dues will be considered supporting the 10c. Oh and misc merch.
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    I'd love to support 10c but the expensive shopping and the way they've handled the reissues means I'll be buying only 10c exclusive items going forward.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,330
    Zod said:

I've been trying to lean away from ordering stuff from 10c that I can buy elsewhere. The Mail Innovations method doesn't seem to trigger Canadian Customs Charges, but Mail Innovations is pretty bad. It takes 2x to 4x as long for mail to get to it destination than sending it via USPS. It's pretty expensive too.

I feel the band gets paid either way. If I buy something from Amazon, An online record store, or even a local store, they still get their cut. I'm not screwing the band by ordering from a better alternative.

I ordered the Yield/No Code reissues and it's been a month since I got the email notifications. USPS would of done it in two weeks. I don't get why they keep using mail innovations?

It's because of UPS's carbon neutral program. Less carbon footprint shipping PJ goodies. Yeah, continue that service in the USA. But when you ship to Canada, your items are picked up and delivered by Canada Post. UPS doesn't knock on my door with PJ treats. It's Canada Post.

I wish 10club could use USPS, like what Mike McCready's HockeyTalkter Record store uses, who ship by USPS with about the same cost, even cheaper, a vinyl to Canada with tracking in less then 2 weeks delivery.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2016
    Unless it is a 10C exclusive (which is pretty often), I don't think anyone should ever buy straight from 10C. Their shipping is way too much and way too inefficient. I will probably still buy one copy of any brand new album from 10C just because of the 10C variant possibility. I sure wouldn't buy any reissues through them or anything else that can be bought elsewhere. If they ever fix their AWFUL shipping issues, especially to Canada, which I think is the most egregious problem they have, even worse than other places overseas, I'd be happy to buy everything from them. All that said, I've never been dinged on customs charges with 10C. Their shipping price vs service alone is enough of a deterrent for me.... Of course, I still order stuff from them all the time because they are so often the only place to buy items from.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I am now calling the sticker I got in the yield re issue as my '£11 sticker'

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

• love how third man did it for the pj vault. they lowered the cost on the customs form to the actual replacement cost, and not what they sold it to me for. if it wasn't the actual cost then whatever it was still way lower than what i actually paid. smart organization there.
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    PJ_Soul said:

Unless it is a 10C exclusive (which is pretty often), I don't think anyone should ever buy straight from 10C. Their shipping is way too much and way too inefficient. I will probably still buy one copy of any brand new album from 10C just because of the 10C variant possibility. I sure wouldn't buy any reissues through them or anything else that can be bought elsewhere. If they ever fix their AWFUL shipping issues, especially to Canada, which I think is the most egregious problem they have, even worse than other places overseas, I'd be happy to buy everything from them. All that said, I've never been dinged on customs charges with 10C. Their shipping price vs service alone is enough of a deterrent for me.... Of course, I still order stuff from them all the time because they are so often the only place to buy items from.

Ditto.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    the customs is a joke we could get yield of amazon for £17 delivered with no customs apart from the vault etc whats the point buying from 10c i have been done by customs 5 times
    danny d
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Still waiting...won't be doing this again.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    To be honest, I don't blame 10c for customs charges. I ordered both LP vinyl's and all 5 singles together. 2 packages arrived on the same day with 20$ for Yield and 9$ for the singles. This is under the limit for import tax for me. They could have put everything in the same package and declared the full price. Only issue, is the delivery times for International customers. If you bought from a private seller, it takes about a week to arrive. With 10c, It was about 3 weeks which was shit, but now it takes over a month.
    Kearnsy
  • rw160510rw160510 Posts: 903
    edited October 2016
    Kearn5y said:

To be honest, I don't blame 10c for customs charges. I ordered both LP vinyl's and all 5 singles together. 2 packages arrived on the same day with 20$ for Yield and 9$ for the singles. This is under the limit for import tax for me. They could have put everything in the same package and declared the full price. Only issue, is the delivery times for International customers. If you bought from a private seller, it takes about a week to arrive. With 10c, It was about 3 weeks which was shit, but now it takes over a month.

This is my take on it too. I was expecting everything to be shipped together and that I would get hit. All things being equal I don't think I am any worse off as a result of the way they have been shipped. Would have it been better if I only gave royal mail £8 instead of £16 assuming that no code will get caught too? Absolutely, but you can't blame 10c for the value of the pound at the moment or the very low threshold at which we are required to pay duty on imported goods in the UK. A few months ago yield would definitely not have pulled a customs charge and no code probably would have snuck through too. Royal mail have figured that import duties are a new revenue stream since they were privatised and very little slips through the net. Unfortunately they have you over a barrel and there is very little you can do about it. It would be great if we had the option of paying the assessed duties direct to HMRC and then provide proof to Royal mail that everything was in order so they could deliver the item. Maybe a little more clarity from 10c around the potential for variants and exclusives wouldn't go a miss. I know I was hoping for a 10c splatter no code which is why I went down that route. Now the speed of shipping is something else entirely...
    Post edited by rw160510 on
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    custom charges has to do with country laws.not with the company u buy abroad your stuff..
    i go to ebay now and see that if i wantr to order an item,i see the shipping and chargestotal..i have to pay..
    it would be cool not to pay charges but actually for that to happen 10c must to lie and breeak the law and put on the package its a gift or less total of your order
    its not 10c fault countries in europe charge for an incoming package from the usa
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Kearn5y said:

yes,problem is the time takes to arrive..its too long
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    keep your money in your pocket... i'm sure most of us need it more than the band, I think they will be ok

when your shipping blows, customers will speak with their wallets
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923

custom charges has to do with country laws.not with the company u buy abroad your stuff..
    i go to ebay now and see that if i wantr to order an item,i see the shipping and chargestotal..i have to pay..
    it would be cool not to pay charges but actually for that to happen 10c must to lie and breeak the law and put on the package its a gift or less total of your order
    its not 10c fault countries in europe charge for an incoming package from the usa

I agree, my issue was that they shipped separately which means I have to pay the £16 in Royal Mail handling fees rather than £8. But that said, it worked out better for the poster above so maybe 10c just can't win on this issue!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • pljampljam Posts: 387
    Use to be a 10c purchasing junkie,between time to arrive and more so shipping cost to Australia ,(though I know that is out of 10c hands)
    I kicked my habit
    After all it's about the music and I can get that here and support small business on home ground
  • silvosilvo Posts: 283
    I completely agree it's not 10C's fault when it comes to customs charges, and the weak pound definitely isn't helping with this at the moment. However, is there not a way around it.....I'm not asking 10C to break any laws for me but at the same time it must be possible, I didn't pay any charges on the third man vault package which had a much higher retail value??
  • nigelnigel Posts: 267
    TMR cleverly get round the charges by stating that you pay for your Vault subscription (with all other online benefits) - and then get the vinyl for a cost that takes it below customs charge. If you order stuff outside of the quarterly vault from TMR then you still get hit.
    One solution is for 10c to ship from Europe (which has been done in the past) or even better have a European store...
    silvo said:

I completely agree it's not 10C's fault when it comes to customs charges, and the weak pound definitely isn't helping with this at the moment. However, is there not a way around it.....I'm not asking 10C to break any laws for me but at the same time it must be possible, I didn't pay any charges on the third man vault package which had a much higher retail value??

• pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    chelsea48 said:

If 10C just put gift on the label!! Well maybe bending rules but i wont tell!!

Im not sure that would help 95% of the time as the value of the allowed gift is only slightly higher. The only way to avoid this would be to misdeclare the value and naturally they cannot do that as a professional outfit.

A european store is an option but they really dont need to do that, the cost would be significant which would have to be passed on to customers, and it works already from Seattle.
  • Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,684
    Wont help the UK with after they leave the EU
    nigel said:

TMR cleverly get round the charges by stating that you pay for your Vault subscription (with all other online benefits) - and then get the vinyl for a cost that takes it below customs charge. If you order stuff outside of the quarterly vault from TMR then you still get hit.
    One solution is for 10c to ship from Europe (which has been done in the past) or even better have a European store...

silvo said:

Kearnsy
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Kearn5y said:

Wont help the UK with after they leave the EU

nigel said:

silvo said:

they can have a UK store too LOL....

Received No Code this morning in the UK ........ £11.85 charge.

London O2 18/06/2018

London O2 17/07/2018

• xnothingmanxxnothingmanx Suffolk UK Posts: 187
    Arrived this morning. Another charge. After the TOTD and MLB packages arrive, which will be another 2 charges, that's it for me. Unless it is explicitly limited edition I'll wait for Amazon to list them.
    Wembley 00 (Night 1)Cardiff 00 Astoria 06 Jools Holland Recording 06 (I met Ed!)Reading 06 Katowice 07 Wembley 07 Shepherds Bush 09 O2 London 09 Hard Rock Calling 10 Manchester 12 Night 1 and 2
  • MLB is more in Sterling on Amazon Uk, than it is in dollars on here at the moment! £76.21 on Amazon Uk and $59.98 on here! Obviously before postage and customs charges though!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mother+love+bone&sprefix=Mother+lov,aps,181
    4784495 - Thomas 9