What book are you reading?

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Deuteronomy 19:15
    Matthew 18:16....
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Midway through the final book of the trilogy, I like it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Just this.. Ephesians 5;(25)-33...
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I'm currently reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. It's really depressing, but it's also very good so far.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    iamica said:

I'm currently reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. It's really depressing, but it's also very good so far.

I read that umpteen times in my early teens. I'd forgotten about the depressing stuff, just remember that I loved it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    2 kings 2;9...me
    Reading at the same time as the book above....my nephew and I are reading at the same time so we can discuss.
    By one of our very own 10C members, go out and buy one!! (Or two....)

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2016

Reading at the same time as the book above....my nephew and I are reading at the same time so we can discuss.

I will if he signs mine "Go Gators!"

:lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

I will if he signs mine "Go Gators!"

:lol:
    If you buy 10 perhaps
    Matthew 5;37
    Ecclesiastes 11;4
    Not to self the unblemished one is for the table...
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    The Rise of Silas Lapham
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Average.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    LOADS...
    light four times...
    psalms 112;4
    psalms 97;11
    psalms 37;6
    esther 8;16
    proverbs 4;18
    job 22;28
    isaiah 58;(8)-(10)
    1 john 1;5-7
    1 peter 2;9
    2 corinthians 3;4-18
    2 corinthians 4;1-(5,6)-18
    2 peter 1;3,4
    revelations 2;18-(26,27,28)
    revelations 22;16
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    SD48277 said:

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon.

I have that one but haven't gotten to it yet? Does it do Mr. Zevon justice?

My latest read is this:

I've probably mentioned this book somewhere here but oh, what---a---book! I thought I knew a lot about music, the 70's New York scene, punk, alternative, all that good stuff but this book is teaching me so much more! I mean, just that fact that I didn't know Suicide was the first band to describe their music as "punk"... in 1970! And to read these stories about Vega and Rev interacting with all these amazing people, going to shows and meeting people like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Albert Ayler! And learning about different periods of time in New York City with words that evoke the smells, the sounds, the vibe, the REAL of NYC! Oh yeah!

This one will go on a special place on my book shelf along with all my Rollins books, Michael Azerrad's marvelous Our Band Could Be Your Life, Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain's Please Kill Me, Greil Marcus' Ranters & Crowd Pleasers and a few other essential books on music.

I'm rambling a bit. Sorry!! (Say, reminds me of a thread... haha!) but really, this book is fantastic!

Universe, please let me live long enough to see that great city one more time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Reading a collection of Edgar Allan Poe stories, it's interesting how much of his Dupin turns up later in Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    About halfway through this. Didn't love it at the beginning, it got better. Interesting though.

photo 636054952556623689-MJS-bk-patty31p-book_zps0tgcgzkf.jpg

psalms 94;20-23.....!!!
    for this reason....
    reading the whole book of Jude
    cause we know im working for God
    so theres no excuse to fight me!!!
    1 corinthians 6;9-10 i believe it says thieves, idolators greedy persons nor revilers....
    psalms 50;17(18)-23
    proverbs 29;24
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    brianlux said:

SD48277 said:

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon.

I have that one but haven't gotten to it yet? Does it do Mr. Zevon justice?

My latest read is this:

I've probably mentioned this book somewhere here but oh, what---a---book! I thought I knew a lot about music, the 70's New York scene, punk, alternative, all that good stuff but this book is teaching me so much more! I mean, just that fact that I didn't know Suicide was the first band to describe their music as "punk"... in 1970! And to read these stories about Vega and Rev interacting with all these amazing people, going to shows and meeting people like Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Albert Ayler! And learning about different periods of time in New York City with words that evoke the smells, the sounds, the vibe, the REAL of NYC! Oh yeah!

This one will go on a special place on my book shelf along with all my Rollins books, Michael Azerrad's marvelous Our Band Could Be Your Life, Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain's Please Kill Me, Greil Marcus' Ranters & Crowd Pleasers and a few other essential books on music.

I'm rambling a bit. Sorry!! (Say, reminds me of a thread... haha!) but really, this book is fantastic!

Universe, please let me live long enough to see that great city one more time.
    Zevon's story is told through interviews with friends/people who knew him, with journal entries toward the end of the book. Some of it was interesting, but that style got old, fast. I like his music, but I can't say I like the guy after reading this. The book you recommend looks good. I'll have to search that out.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu said:

About halfway through this. Didn't love it at the beginning, it got better. Interesting though.

photo 636054952556623689-MJS-bk-patty31p-book_zps0tgcgzkf.jpg

I thought that one looked interesting. I remember what a big deal it all was at the time; now hardly anybody knows who she is. I read a review and the author said he was very disappointed that she wouldn't consent to an interview. I thought, man, I'd be sick of talking about it too.
    I set this one aside for a while, then came back to it and finished it over the weekend.

By now, there are more than enough books about The Who but this one is a keeper. It focuses on the 60s and is well researched and written. The story of how 4 young guys, kids really, from Shepherd's Bush, who didn't like each other very much but still managed to form a band and stick with it through internal conflicts and never making any money, then finally having commercial success in 1969 with Tommy. Great cast of characters and sense of time and place. You don't have to be a huge Who fan to enjoy this one
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I read Peter Weiss's The Investigation, today. Tomorrow, I'm going to read something a bit lighter: Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    I've read this in 2 days..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    Psalms 12:1-8
    Psalms 14:1-7
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    edited September 2016
    The Celestine Prophecy

Thank you SmallestOceans.
    Post edited by hauntingfamiliar on
  • The Celestine Prophecy

Thank you SmallestOceans.

You're certainly welcome. It's a great read.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16