*** Fenway 1 Boston, MA Fanviews Here 8/5/16 ***

Comments

• Lukin and Betterman were scratched to allow Vitology to be played in its entirety Sunday
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    I was not there but I love the setlist. All those yesterdays, faithfull, grievance, patriot, strangest tribe, aerosmith cover and I've got a feeling.
    Really nice blend. I guess that means Sirens will be played tomorrow. Fuck. :)
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173

Lukin and Betterman were scratched to allow Vitology to be played in its entirety Sunday

Lukin is on No Code, not Vitalogy
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482

We had so much fun at the relay and periscope
    I know most focus in rare songs..i get s.tribe and i got a feeling was amazing to get live..but from what i heard..
    MASTER OF WAR WAS FROM ANITHER PLANET!!
    GROOVY,DARK,BLUES VERSION...THAT WAS SOUND SO FRIKKIN HOT!!!!!UNREAL!!

Thanks Sea!!

I taped Eddie and Mike (with G.E. Smith) at Dylan's 30th Anniversary show at MSG when it was shown on TV many years ago. I've never seen someone get so lost in a song - one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Even Mike and G.E. were looking at Eddie in amazement. My tape is on a VHS tape and I don't have a VCR player anymore, but the performance crops up on YouTube every now and then (and then gets removed). I loved seeing it in person last night. Totally different take, but still very powerful.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    Was in section B3, row 15...to the obnoxious couple in front of us drinking bud light all night and holding up their phones as high as they could go for the entire show, please stay at home next time. The concert was right in front of you and you missed the whole thing. Pathetic. Do you and your wife need the same exact footage on 2 different phones?

The crowd in general seemed dead. The band didn't help with the second encore which was directly responsible for putting the masses to sleep. A rare mis-read by Ed writing the setlist. Highlights were release, ATY, Masters of War. The sound on the field sounded amazing. Good show, couldve been much better with a more uptempo second encore.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I tried to get a beer during Do The Evolution. Long, slow line. Then MASTERS OF WAR started and I sprinted back to my seat. Never did get that beer!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Great show and the sound was better than I thought it would be at a stadium. Great vibes all around. Hob here we come.
  • Lukin and Betterman were scratched to allow Vitology to be played in its entirety Sunday

Lukin is on No Code, not Vitalogy
    Truth. I'm an ass

Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
    edited August 2016
    I don't mind people drinking and I don't mind people taking videos. I do mind people being oblivious to how obnoxious their behavior is to those around them. We had one girl sneak down to our area twice to take videos. Both times she repeatedly crashed into people with a purse so big I'm shocked it was allowed in. Not a word of apology. And then the beer spilling...the guys behind us lost more beer than they drank I'm pretty sure. At least they were supposed to be there. Surprising how many people couldn't find their way back to their seats and decided the best option was to spill beer on people who could. Do they teach that skill in boy scouts or something? When you are lost in the woods spill a beer?

Really those are my only complaints from the night. Thought the show itself was great.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    I am in the not epic camp-but rocked out at Fenway and loved it
    It was a great time, a special show, and there were some serious rarities but I felt the show lacked great flow even though it had some serious highlights. But the extended slow start(which they do a lot, I get it and it works a lot of times, but wasn't feeling it) then some serious meat, but then to have encore 1 with a really slow start, and a short 2nd encore, energy was sucked out. This show just didn't have "it" as far as flow. Had some real highs, so grateful for those, but the flow kept it from being epic imo. I had a great time but really am having a feeling I'm gonna regret going Friday over Sunday.

I will say masters was sick, but also agree that too many covers hurt this show. Could have done with half as many covers. As far as encores, it was really refreshing to hear corduroy in that spot, and I got a feeling was perhaps my highlight of the show. Please put away the pitchforks for what I'm about to say, but usually once I hear alive, something comes over me where I feel like I'm in for the disappointment portion of the show, so to get I got a feelin after that was such an awesome, well, feeling, great surprise.

To any other bands standards this show was a 9.5/10 but since it's pj, it was 7.5/10. There have just been too many epic pj shows and not all can be a grand slam, even though this show had some 500 foot home runs.

Last note, it seemed like they made a TON of merch, and I'm curious to see if this makes people happy that they can get stuff, or sad because they can't flip it.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275

Was in section B3, row 15...to the obnoxious couple in front of us drinking bud light all night and holding up their phones as high as they could go for the entire show, please stay at home next time. The concert was right in front of you and you missed the whole thing. Pathetic. Do you and your wife need the same exact footage on 2 different phones?

lol, we had a couple basically rubbing on each other all night, dry humping and kissing,,,which I guess is fine..but if there are 2 seats for you and one is an aisle, why take up the area of ONE seat and have it be the one closest to the person next to you, instead of the seat with more room....be respectful of your neighbor and do all the shit without hitting my bf in the crotch all night....That dude almost got punched in the neck. LOL
    Besides that nonsense we had a blast....
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    edited August 2016
    EB218946 said:

That was the best PJ show I have ever seen.

I feel the same way. Especially that first set. I've been fortunate enough to see some shows at smaller venues, but there's nothing better than hearing and feeling the power of 40,000 (?) people around me sing the lyrics to my favorite songs with me. Hooray for the faithfull strangest tribe. Masters of War was great. I can't believe that song was written in the 60s. Mike McCready's solos tonight equally brought tears to my eyes once and made me feel things in my nethers.
    Post edited by PJ212 on
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Great great night for me thanks 10c for great seats 3rd row in between Ed & Stone insane sound ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jdopjjdopj Posts: 646
    Too many covers. Just way too much great PJ songs to play to have that many covers
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Lenz said:

Not every PJ gig is great or epic. This one was far away from great/epic.

Although Fenway Park is a nice location for a PJ gig, although the sound and the weather were great, I was not caught yesterday. Although we had great versions of Cordurory, Life Wasted, Masters Of War and I'm A Patriot.

The crowd was lame and so many people were just occupied with grabbing as much merch as possible. And, unfortunately many people don't seem to be that crazy (anymore) about attending a show, no matter what the reasons may be. The band didn't have their best night too: they messed up Strangest Tribe (I saw such a great version of this song in Oslo 2014, sorry for anybody who hasn't seen it before), Society and Alive was kind of lame. And guys: 7 (or if you count in Another Brick In The Wall 8) covers are way too much. Pearl Jam has that many great songs, no need too play that many covers.

I am quite sure, we will have a much better (hopefully epic/great) night on Sunday. Hopefully people will come earlier so that there is no need to for haste again.

Where were your seats? I was in the front of B4 and it was a crazy party up there.

Yesterday felt like a special show to me. Hope you get what you're looking for on Sunday.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Very fun night. Strangest Tribe was the highlight and they played it really well. The Aerosmith cover was a great performance as well. The slow start was not my style but to each their own.
    looking to hear of the earth
  • mrz200mrz200 Posts: 76
    was in 144, 3rd base, about 30 rows up, just under the overhang

there were pockets of big fans getting down - my wife & I sat near 4 other folks in our immediate vicinity who were singing & dancing the whole time. But yeah, I expected it to be a little more than just "pockets" I guess. Given the rabidness for the tickets & merchandise, I thought the actual music would be seized with the same fervor. But hey to each their own, we had fun and had a good immediate crew around us who helped create our own little PJ "pit" wihout infringing on others who chose not to partake.

Really hope our 10C for Sunday come through somehow...we just re-upped last year, so hoping there's some lottery winnings in that envelope!

As far as the show...We saw Columbia SC this spring and Worcestor a couple years ago. Tough to compare as we were FAR closer to the stage those nights, but last night was superb. Really impressed with the sound & sight (thank you giant video screens!) as I expected both to be far worse.
  • hoshismamahoshismama Maine Posts: 7
    JC38557 said:

Show was incredible, the energy of the crowd was consistently awesome. Sorry about the Red Mosquito scratch but a Release and Long Road start was basically a dream. I could have left right then and the concert would have been a ten. The entire main set was off the charts excellent. And the sound was almost perfect and the band crushed it. This was one of my favorite PJ shows of all time and I've been to many.

Another random note, the hotel I'm staying at is where the band is staying. We saw them walking out this afternoon, surrounded by security. Wish the band would invite me and my friends to their room to chill. Alas, I don't think that will happen. But it was an amazing night.

• hoshismamahoshismama Maine Posts: 7
    What hotel was it???
  • I thought the show was fantastic. I've almost forgotten how fun it is to see them play outside on a beautiful summer night. The lights of the stage looked amazing as the sun went down. I loved the setlist and loved the unpredictability of it. I Got a Feeling blew my mind. Masters of War was so cool. I jumped for joy during Strangest Tribe. After seeing it crossed out on setlist after setlist it was great to be at a show that it was played. After 27 shows, this is easily one of my favorites. Can't wait to see what Sunday brings.

Speaking of Sunday, my wife and I are here for our 2 year wedding anniversary. We are super excited to have Ten Club seats for night 2. We are hoping for Future Days(which was our wedding song) to be played. So if you see two people slow dancing in the Ten Club section, it's probably us. HAHA!

Cheers!
  • jjm33jjm33 Posts: 195
    I normally treat Alive and Evenflow as piss break songs but having Fenway singing along made them a blast.
  • BK223722BK223722 Posts: 92
    The sound in the grandstand seats sucked. Whenever Ed spoke it sound like the adults in Charlie Brown. Have similar (shitty) tix for Sunday but seriously considering skipping town early.
  • The Camaros HoodThe Camaros Hood Boston, MA Posts: 440
    edited August 2016
    Act 1 of a great weekend was very good. Section 97 was very energetic but it looked like there were pockets of bros who were there for Jeremy and brews and just lacked the energy most die-hards expect. Also it was a great to meet a felllow 10 clubber Racquel (sp?) and her 12 year old son, from NY. They rocked out and gave new meaning to the term Momma-Son!! I'm confused about this curfew though. I have seen many shows here at Fenway over the last 4 years and some end at 10:30 and some at 11. I know for a fact just a few weeks ago Paul McCartney walked off stage a few minutes after 11 so which is it? And for those complaining about covers: my guess is they did that so they could limit how many songs of theirs they don't have to play twice this weekend. Maybe they know many folks will be attending both shows and they want the entire weekend to feel like one big show. Just a thought. Well time to rest, rinse and then repeat on Sunday. Fingers crossed for an entire Vitalogy on Night 2!!
    Post edited by The Camaros Hood on
    Austin, TX - 9/16/95 ~ Charleston, SC - 10/5/96 ~ Dallas, TX - 7/5/98 ~ San Antonio, TX - 4/5/03 ~ Denver, CO - 7/2/06 ~ EV - LA #2 - 4/13/08 ~ Austin, TX - 10/4/09 ~ Los Angeles, CA #1 - 11/23/13 ~ Los Angeles, CA #2 - 11/24/13 ~ Seattle, WA - 12/6/13 ~ NYC #1 - 5/1/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 8/5/16 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 8/7/16 ~ Boston, MA #1 - 9/2/18 ~ Boston, MA #2 - 9/4/18 ~ Louisville, KY - 9/17/22 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #1 - 9/13/23 ~ Ft. Worth, TX #2 - 9/15/23 ~ Austin, Texas #1 - 9/18/23 ~ Austin, Texas #2 - 9/19/23
    Pretty sure we look back after Sunday night and see that Fenway 1 was a companion show to Fenway 2. I'm expecting very few repeats tomorrow. Honestly would be surprised if anything other than Alive, Evenflow and Corduroy showed up again.

The more I think about last night the more I realize how bold of a setlist that was. I don't disagree with the "criticism" that it didn't entirely work, but I respect the shit out of their ambition.

Still sinking in that I got to hear Masters Of War, Strangest Tribe and I've Got A Feeling all on the same night and all at a venue I first visited as a small child in 1981. Love. This. Band.

• philzonereddyphilzonereddy NH, NY Posts: 117

jxchamb1 said:

What was the floor scene like? Difficult to navigate?

Floor wasn't too difficult to navigate. Getting to the floor however was crazy. Felt like cattle in a sardine can.
    This. Very hard to get drinks.
    Damn...do you have to go out to the stands for brews?
    Rochester, NY>The Haunt...Ithaca>Syracuse>Troy, NY

Upstate '91 Tour Alumni...the rest is history...
  • bbruzzibbruzzi Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, It looks like the Friday show was excellent. Im really excited for the Sunday show, Any tips on parking? Was there an opening act? and When did Pearl Jam take the stage? Thanks in advance!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Catwoman1 said:

We had so much fun at the relay and periscope
    I know most focus in rare songs..i get s.tribe and i got a feeling was amazing to get live..but from what i heard..
    MASTER OF WAR WAS FROM ANITHER PLANET!!
    GROOVY,DARK,BLUES VERSION...THAT WAS SOUND SO FRIKKIN HOT!!!!!UNREAL!!

Thanks Sea!!

I taped Eddie and Mike (with G.E. Smith) at Dylan's 30th Anniversary show at MSG when it was shown on TV many years ago. I've never seen someone get so lost in a song - one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Even Mike and G.E. were looking at Eddie in amazement. My tape is on a VHS tape and I don't have a VCR player anymore, but the performance crops up on YouTube every now and then (and then gets removed). I loved seeing it in person last night. Totally different take, but still very powerful.
    That version is so intense. Good angry Eddie.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    JimmyV said:

Pretty sure we look back after Sunday night and see that Fenway 1 was a companion show to Fenway 2. I'm expecting very few repeats tomorrow. Honestly would be surprised if anything other than Alive, Evenflow and Corduroy showed up again.

Probably Porch too, but not much else.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • ScreamHello_33ScreamHello_33 Orlando, FL Posts: 57
    As a big baseball fan, seeing them at Fenway and sitting in center field was an unbelievable thrill. They could've played Ole' thirty times and I would've been happy. (Night 2? Ha)

The "it felt thin" theory cracks me up. The Beatles final show at Candlestick was 28 minutes long.

Draw The Line was way cool and I LOVE-loved the fast Patriot. Hope that stays in the playbook. Now we just need the matching "slow Evenflow" and we'll really be in business...