*** Fenway 1 Boston, MA Fanviews Here 8/5/16 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited August 2016 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Fenway
Boston, MA
Aug 05, 2016
Show One

Walk On Music: Baba O’Riley
Band Onstage: 7:40
Band Offstage: 10:30

01. Release
02. Long Road
(“let me take a look at you before the sun goes down. I don’t know how it happened but look at us. We are all at center field.”)
03. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
04. Low Light
05. All Those Yesterday’s (during the outro Ed reads off all of the Red Sox championship banners)
06. Given To Fly
07. Mind Your Manners
08. Why Go
(Ed ask the audience how it sounds and lets them know it sounds great on stage. He mentions he likes the Cubs which elicits some boos. Ed gently chastises the audience for so soon forgetting how it feels to suffer. Ed briefly ponders the number of rings the Cubs have compared to a certain politicians balls. He states emphatically that he is purely speculating. He says the Red Sox were always his favorite American League team.)
09. Daughter, WMA, Another Brick In The Wall-part 2-(Waters) (one chorus only changes one lyric to “people leave your guns at home”)

10. Even Flow (Mike goes to the barricade and solos with the guitar behind his head while he is embraced by fans. Ed hands the mic to some gentlemen at the barricade to sing a little bit)

(Mike and Matt start “Grievance” but stop after 30 seconds when no one else joins in. turns out they skipped on a song on the set list.)

(The next song is dedicated to #34 “Big Papi {David Ortiz}”. Ed can’t believe this is going to be his last year.)
11. Faithfull
12. Grievance
(Ed apologizes for bringing up the person he brought up earlier. He doesn’t want to give that person any attention and he doesn’t want to be divisive in any manner. He wants tonight to be all about getting along and feeling safe together.)
13. I Am Mine
14. Down (Dedicated to Howard Zinn)

(Ed invites up a guest that used to pitch for the Red Sox and is the owner of one of the rings that the Red Sox have won. The player is on another mound now and he is rehabbing his arm and that involves playing acoustic guitar. Ed introduces their friend Bronson Arroyo.)

15. Black w/ guest Bronson Arroyo on acoustic guitar and backing vocals. Ed asks the audience to hold up lights so Bronson can see how magical this place can be. The audience complies with a huge display.

16. Do The Evolution
17. Masters Of War-(Dylan) {full band e.v. electric gtr)
18. I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt) {fast version full band}
19. Porch (Ed goes to the barricade for the outro and ends up with a Red Sox cap)

Encore Break One
During the break Ed chats with the audience and has some Polaroids of the crowds he took on the first tour displayed on the video screens. He says the first time they played in Boston at a club called Axis. He doesn’t have pictures from that show because he took pictures of security guys beating up a kid. He laughs over the security guy trying to tear the Polaroids but he didn’t get the pictures back. He also shows Polaroids from when he snuck into Fenway because he just HAD to get in.

20. Strangest Tribe
“you’ve been a great tribe”
21. Society-(Hannan)
“This is for Jason and his wife”
22. Just Breathe

(Ed appears to change his mind about what song he wants to do. He asks if he can get a uke. Former Red Sox player Kevin “Youk” Youkilis delivers Ed’s ukulele. “Hey, I got a Youk!” They drink wine and praise the Red Sox nation. As Youk leaves the stage Ed thanks him for dressing up for the occasion, which Youk, clearly did not do.)

23. Sleeping By Myself
24. Wasted Reprise/Life Wasted (Ed sings the line “Don’t Give Up” four times before starting the Wasted Reprise. Possibly quoting Peter Gabriel’s song but it didn’t follow the melody and was just those four words.)
25. State Of Love And Trust (Ed walks to the far wings while singing while Mike runs all over the place. Before the solo Ed lies on his stomach and reaches for a beer from an audience member. He takes a sip and hands it back. Blue gets a great shot of the security persons amused reaction to Ed’s antics. )

“We are going to borrow a song from our friend Roger. We sang it together for a Hurricane Sandy benefit and we have done it ourselves a few times but it seems like a great song to play out doors. And if anybody is tripping balls or whatever version is your favorite”.

26. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour, Waters) {Ed plays piano during the outro solo}
27. Corduroy (during the instrumental break while getting the audience to sing asks the audience if they have a few more innings in them or do they need a relief pitcher. “We got it if you got it.”)

Encore Break Two

Ed thanks the fans for being so great and praises the venue.

28. Draw The Line-(Perry, Tyler) Aerosmith cover
“That’s for Joe Perry. We are thinking about you.”
29. Alive
(Ed introduces the band. Ed also introduces the great sportswriter Peter Gammons who comes on stage.)
Ed says the band is going to try and play a song they haven’t played since maybe the first time they came to Boston. He says the request came from Mathew Plummer whose father had passed away. Ed gets a little choked up while talking about it. He tells Mathew that they can all relate to losing someone. Mathew and his father didn’t agree on all music but they came together on this song.
30. I’ve Got A Feeling-(Lennon, McCartney)
31. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    I can't wait to be there Sunday. Jealous y'all got strangest tribe tonight!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Plummer. :clap::heart::hug:

Red Mosquito got scratched damn! Almost 3 hours. Wow wow wow awesome set! :rock_on:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Some crazy good covers. The band had high energy and was happy to be at the park. Sunday will be great. Well done guys.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    edited August 2016
    I just got back to our room at the Verb -- the converted Howard Johnson next to Fenway where the band stayed many years ago, and where Eddie snuck into Fenway to get some Polaroids that he showed tonight. The show was incredible. Strangest Tribe - how much more of a rarity can you get!!! Despite the crowd's energy on just about every other song, the crowd seemed subdued after Strangest Tribe - or at least in my section (B7). I'm not sure they understood what a gift we were getting. Eddie choking up introducing I've Got A Feeling -- plus the fact that this band cares that much about us fans -- just made me love them even more.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    Also, the sound was great. I was on the field, so don't know how it was in the stands. Very impressed that a stadium concert could sound that good.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
  • JC38557JC38557 Posts: 33
    Show was incredible, the energy of the crowd was consistently awesome. Sorry about the Red Mosquito scratch but a Release and Long Road start was basically a dream. I could have left right then and the concert would have been a ten. The entire main set was off the charts excellent. And the sound was almost perfect and the band crushed it. This was one of my favorite PJ shows of all time and I've been to many.

Another random note, the hotel I'm staying at is where the band is staying. We saw them walking out this afternoon, surrounded by security. Wish the band would invite me and my friends to their room to chill. Alas, I don't think that will happen. But it was an amazing night.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Not only the best band, but the ballsiest.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    Catwoman1 said:

Also, the sound was great. I was on the field, so don't know how it was in the stands. Very impressed that a stadium concert could sound that good.

Sounded great all night
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • Mignelli14Mignelli14 Posts: 626
    Happy they played I've got a feeling for that guy! I'd been seeing a thread about it I believe and I'm happy it happened. I hope that was a special moment for that dude. Sounds like an awesome night besides!
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    fast patriot ! ! !
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Strangest Tribe
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    Strangest Tribe and I've Got a Feeling in the same show? How can I complain about anything?
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • melpumelpu Posts: 44
    Much better sound than the last time I saw a concert at Fenway two years ago, a pleasant surprise. Mellow vibe on the field. Stellar setlist from beginning to end. Many thanks to 10 Club for the second chance ticket drop and kudos to this terrific band, still turning themselves inside out to entertain their fans for 25 years. ❤
    "We feel like we could play just about anything, and you fuckers would know it."
    EV

"Hey, it’s not like we come into your house demanding bacon and eggs... what I’m saying is, if you offered us pancakes, we’d eat pancakes."
    EV
  • Was in right field box 95 and sound was as great as any good arena out there. I've got a feeling has to be the highlight for me. Fenway under the stars. Will likely have a wet dream.

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    My son's first show. Couldn't have asked for a better night. Much thanks to the band and the crowd around us who showed us so much love.
  • jxchamb1jxchamb1 Posts: 82
    Amazing show. Strangest Tribe was the highlight for me. Overall probably the best show I've been to. The band was just on fire. And I thought the park actually kinda felt intimate. I don't know how to explain it but it didn't feel likes a stadium show.
  • G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    edited August 2016
    This one came up short in my book. A few miscues,relatively short set list and a couple odd placed tunes.
    1. The first Fenway gig. 2. The band has not played Boston in 6 years 3. a Huge build-up.........? Then At 10:30 the lights are on and it's over, really..?it feels a little skinny for a PJ concert in Boston. Admittedly I am not a fan of the larger venues, nor should this band be either . My 2 cents. See you Sunday.
    Post edited by G-force on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    Wowzers I am speechless! Strangest Tribe and I've Got a Feeling were amazing. The band was on tonight and the sound was much better then I expected along the 3rd baseline.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    So damn good.
    Oh and Ed, Reggie White never played CF for the Red Sox, you're thinking of Reggie Smith. ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Sound was great, stadium was quite a sight to see for my first time (and fun to hear Ed's first time being there). Covers were on point and the setlist did more than enough for me tonight.

Can't wait to see what Sunday brings.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,014
    Loved it

Great weather, great people, great set, greatest band

Can't wait for Sunday

• MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 483
    edited August 2016
    What get left off tonight? Not that it matters. They could have just played masters of war and walked right off the stage.
  • philzonereddyphilzonereddy NH, NY Posts: 117
    Upset I missed "I've Got a Feeling."
    Rochester, NY>The Haunt...Ithaca>Syracuse>Troy, NY

Upstate '91 Tour Alumni...the rest is history...
  • RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    edited August 2016
    sunday night will be killer, wish we could stay, "draw the line: cover was amazing as were the other covers, ed's story w/pix about fenway were a highlight as well. the sound was great and show was stellar, not epic but close
    Post edited by RFTC on
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • NateDNateD Posts: 14
    Red Mosquito scratched. They were late because the crowd was late and pandered to them with most of the set.
  • JM55546JM55546 Posts: 128
    Darrell Evans? Reggie White? Nice try Ed! At least you got Fred Lynn.
  • philzonereddyphilzonereddy NH, NY Posts: 117
    What was the floor scene like? Difficult to navigate?
    Rochester, NY>The Haunt...Ithaca>Syracuse>Troy, NY

Upstate '91 Tour Alumni...the rest is history...
  • JM55546JM55546 Posts: 128
    RFTC said:

sunday night will be killer, wish we could stay, "draw the line: cover was amazing as were the other covers, ed's story w/pix about fenway were a highlight as well. the sound was great and show was stellar, not epic but close

How many times has he told that story? I feel like this was the third time I've heard it. Maybe it was only once before. But it was cool with them showing the Polaroids on the screen.

Masters of War was fantastic and I love me some Fast Patriot!
  • Man what an amazing show. I thought Masters of War was incredible. Strangest Tribe sounded fantastic. Loved Society too. Youkilis bringing out the uke was classic. It was a great, great show. Can't wait for Sunday.
    1995: San Francisco, San Diego
    2000: Phoenix
    2008: Camden 2
    2009: San Diego, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2010: MSG 1, MSG 2
    2011: Alpine 1, Alpine 2
    2012: Missoula
    2013: Wrigley, Phoenix, San Diego, LA1, LA2, Oakland
    2014: Denver
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1
  • jxchamb1jxchamb1 Posts: 82

What was the floor scene like? Difficult to navigate?

Floor wasn't too difficult to navigate. Getting to the floor however was crazy. Felt like cattle in a sardine can.