The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• chittychitty Posts: 574
    edited July 2016
    Awesome show, kind of sad ending with Gord onstage by himself and crowd going bonkers. I said screw it and bought stubhub seats for $50, row 1 in balcony for tuesday night. Varied setlist last night from Victoria so hoping to get most of those songs on Tuesday and it is the "last" show in Vancouver. Can't miss that. Highlight for me was the day for night sequence last night. That was my first album from them I fell in love with.
    Hoping for Nautical Disaster on Tuesday
    Post edited by chitty on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    chitty said:

Awesome show, kind of sad ending with Gord onstage by himself and crowd going bonkers. I said screw it and bought stubhub seats for $50, row 1 in balcony for tuesday night. Varied setlist last night from Victoria so hoping to get most of those songs on Tuesday and it is the "last" show in Vancouver. Can't miss that. Highlight for me was the day for night sequence last night. That was my first album from them I fell in love with.

I'm row 1 on the balcony tomorrow too. What section are you in?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Wish so bad i could go to a show. Lucky folks!
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
    PJ_Soul said:

chitty said:

Section 327. Got them for $84usd. Pretty good price I think
    edited July 2016
    chitty said:

PJ_Soul said:

chitty said:

Section 327. Got them for $84usd. Pretty good price I think
    Nice. I'm in section 315 (directly across from the stage). I got it for face in the presale ($75 CAD), but the sacrifice is that I'm going alone. I could only score a ticket in the presale by buying a single (but that's okay). Enjoy the show! I think first row of the balcony is actually a pretty sweet place to sit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Forgot to post last week but the Victoria show was pretty good.

The crowd stood the entire time (which in my experience doesn't happen often for Victoria arena shows). There was the strange energy throughout the show (due to circumstances of tour). The energy was electric and band sounded pretty good. At the end the rest of the band left the stage and Gord stood there and crowd kept cheering and cheering. Brought tears to his eyes.. poor guy... what a trooper, doing a tour under his circumstances. That's hardcore.
    edited July 2016
    Also I noticed, since I was behind stage on Sunday, that Gord was reading lyrics off a teleprompter. Just curious and assuming that has to do with his diagnosis? Or has he done that in the past?
    Post edited by chitty on
    edited July 2016
    I think most people with a terminal brain tumour are skinnier than they used to be, and I believe I read something a while ago suggesting that Gord would have the lyrics on hand because of his illness, but I don't remember where I read that. Anyway, I guess tonight will be the very last night that The Tragically Hip will play Vancouver or BC. Ever. I'm getting misty eyed just thinking about it. I'm glad I will get to be there.
    Totally, me too!
    edited July 2016
    Did I hear Gord correct right at the end?
    "See you again."
    "See you again, hopefully."

Tough to say which Vancouver shows I liked better. The start tonight was epic. Then songs such as Ahead by a century, yawning or snarling, fiddlers green

However there was at least three songs in the middle I had no idea what they were and if I didnt, I'm sure the masses didn't. Put a damper on momentum. For that reason I can't say tonight was a better set then Sunday.

However the crowd was insane tonight when they left, and especially Gord, before the encore. Loudest I've heard a crowd in over 300 concerts
    Post edited by chitty on
  • Crowd was fantastic. I agree that there was a portion of the set that was rather dreary.

I too was hoping for Nautical Disaster- it's always eluded me. Escape was a good one for me.

Good luck, Gord.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BR2428BR2428 Posts: 118
    A similar thing happened in Victoria. The new album hasn't had enough time to take hold yet, but I really dig it and I enjoyed the new songs live.
    chitty said:

However there was at least three songs in the middle I had no idea what they were and if I didnt, I'm sure the masses didn't. Put a damper on momentum. For that reason I can't say tonight was a better set then Sunday.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    yah they did 4 songs from the new album in Victoria, so the crowd was a bit quieter for them. Personally i really liked Tired as Fuck. I've been listening to that song alot since the show.
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    gord has used a teleprompter for previous tours. nothing new about that. fyi eh
    i'd love to know what songs specifically are " rather dreary" LOL
    cause those are probably my faves ;)
  • DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    52 different songs played in 3 shows.

Pretty impressive.

gord has used a teleprompter for previous tours. nothing new about that. fyi eh
    i'd love to know what songs specifically are " rather dreary" LOL
    cause those are probably my faves ;)

Looking at the setlist now, I didn't know only two songs. Toronto #4, which gord said he thinks they have not played in a long time, and Putting Down.

I for one actually really like the new album and enjoyed those songs.
    Very Pearl Jam like with 14 tour debuts last night. Has made me want to go back into the Hip catalogue more. All in all amazing shows!
    edited July 2016
    chitty said:

Did I hear Gord correct right at the end?
    "See you again."
    "See you again, hopefully."

Tough to say which Vancouver shows I liked better. The start tonight was epic. Then songs such as Ahead by a century, yawning or snarling, fiddlers green

However the crowd was insane tonight when they left, and especially Gord, before the encore. Loudest I've heard a crowd in over 300 concerts

Yes! He said "I'll see you again..." like three times in a row, almost like an incantation. That really got to me. He was so emotional when he was saying that. Brought tears to my eyes. I hope the power of positive thinking works for him.
    Yup, that was by far the loudest crowd I have ever heard in my life. It actually totally drowned out the music at one point, and was hurting my ears. And during the first encore break, with all the lights shining for him... just incredible. This was probably the most meaningful concert of my life. I personally loved the setlist a lot,and also didn't recognize a couple of songs, which actually thrilled the hell out of me! If there was a damper i didn'r notice it. They weren't the new songs I didn't recognize - I know the new album word for word already. It was Lake Fever and Toronto #4 that seemed new to me. I guess I've heard them once or twice (at most), but they are from Music @ Work, which is an album that I am really not too familiar with because I don't like it. Anyway, for me, hearing two songs i don't even remember ever hearing before was a plus, not a minus. I didn't like that album, but a live performance is a whole other ball of wax. Plus I almost swooned during Fiddlers Green, lol.

Rogers Arena, Vancouver, Tuesday, July 26th, 2016:

Courage
    Fifty-Mission Cap
    We’ll Go Too
    At the Hundredth Meridian
    In a World Possessed by the Human Mind
    What Blue
    In Sarnia
    Machine
    My Music at Work
    Lake Fever
    Toronto #4
    Putting Down
    Greasy Jungle
    Grace, Too
    Yawning or Snarling
    Daredevil
    Ahead by a Century
    Don’t Wake Daddy
    Springtime in Vienna
    Gift Shop

Encore #1:
    Escape Is at Hand for the Travellin’ Man
    Bobcaygeon
    Poets

Encore #2:
    Fiddler’s Green
    Three Pistols
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    i know almost every hip song well+. to get TO#4 and putting down would be enough for me to completely LOSE IT
    it will be super hard not to shed a tear or seven at the 4 shows i'm seeing
    so glad with this format that they have decided on for this tour...and 52 diff songs in 3 shows is hella impressive
    BRAVO TO THEM
    edited July 2016
    Putting Down was fantastic - I actually didn't realize it wasn't a super well-known song. I thought that was the one Music @ Work song that really got some radio play.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Held a bird's egg between her breasts
    There's reasons for the road I guess
    To document the indigenous
    To paint and sketch, paint and sketch
    I'm starting to fail to be impressed
    United state of ricochet
    From the boardwalk to the appian way
    The diamond files, the corporate raves
    You'd practically kill not to be afraid
    And I'm starting to choke on the things I say
    I'm putting down, I'm putting down, I'm putting down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-I2rrRybo
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertainment/music/we-arrive-alive-utter-magic-plenty-of-tears-as-tragically-hip-play-rexall-place-on-final-tour

wow !!
    2016-07-28 - Edmonton, Alberta
    01 Little Bones
    02 The Luxury
    03 Long Time Running
    04 Twist My Arm
    05 In A World Possessed By The Human Mind
    06 What Blue
    07 Ocean Next
    08 Machine
    09 Summer's Killing Us
    10 It Can't Be Nashville Every Night
    11 If New Orleans Is Beat
    12 Gus: The Polar Bear From Central Park
    13 Daredevil
    14 Scared
    15 So Hard Done By
    16 Grace, Too
    17 Escape Is At Hand For The Travelling Man
    18 Membership
    19 Something On
    20 Poets
    ---
    21 At The Hundredth Meridian
    22 Fully Completely
    23 Courage
    ---
    24 Flamenco
    25 Ahead By A Century
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    edited July 2016
    I'm still processing both nights. Night 1 was partially marred for me due to an inconsiderate douche-bro of a seat-neighbour & his equally inconsiderate friends. I'm not super interested in reliving it, but basically: talking & fist-bumping/high-fiving over my head or in front of my face, blowing weed smoke, way off-tune yelling (not singing), & clapping way out of time. Oh, & a completely unasked-for slap on my back. If I see this asshole on the FB Hip group or at Titanic Terrarium (HipBase), I might have to tear him & his loser friends a new 'A'. :angry: In hindsight, not sure I would have handled it differently (going to security), because it would have meant missing parts of the show. Knowing that night 2 would be better for me (due to seat locale) kept my nerves from exploding. If Night 1 was my only show, I might just be sitting in a holding cell instead of writing this ... :|

But, night 1 also had THUGS. :triumph: One of my favourite favourites! <3 Thankfully the bullshit was (mostly) over by the DfN set.

Both nights had their "slow" setlist moments. For Sunday, I'd say the And Now For Plan A set was the crowd-mellower-outer (not killed, definitely not killed. But things were tempered somewhat.) I felt that Gord was far more lively on Tuesday night as well - right from the get-go; on Sunday I felt that he slowly warmed up over the course of the show. From the show reviews I've read from Edmonton 1, it seems like Gord's opening up a bit more each night - this bodes extremely well for Kingston.

I'm curious to see what other MMP songs will be performed; as of now - this being posted after Edmonton's 1st show - they've played 6: Machine, A World Possessed By The Human Mind, Tired As Fuck, In Sarnia, & Ocean Next.
    Post edited by rockpants on
    "Grace, Too" was my highlight - as it was for many; it's been my favourite song of theirs since it was released. Both nights were good but as I mentioned in my previous ramble, the 2nd was better (to me). Damn near lost my shit when the ominous groove of "Yawning or Snarling" hit my ears ... was not expecting that one AT ALL. :heart:

Crappy phonecam picture from Night 2:

edited July 2016
    OH! I forgot to mention ... while I didn't notice what song was playing over the PA after the show on Night 1, on Night 2 it was Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over".

~:*o(

(Side note: I fucking hate the emojis here.)
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    edited July 2016
    I still can't believe I got to hear Thugs in Vancouver. That song has always been a favorite of mine and Gord nailed it!
    Post edited by iammine16 on
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
    Gord was definitely moving around stage more night 2 of Vancouver. In hindsight I liked night two better as I knew it was the last show for me to see (hoping not of course). More emotionally involved. Trouble at henhouse set of songs was also better for me then the now for plan a songs on Sunday.

I've been thinking of it all week and truly I'm still thinking of the hip and their impact on me. Why it hit me and probably all of us so emotionally.
    The hip is our generations, 30-60 year olds, Canadian rock band. We grew up in an era with a slight inferiority complex with the USA and this was OUR band. They put out amazing album after album especially thru the 90's. That was my era and day for night along with nirvana unplugged were the albums that solidified my love for rock. I think all hip fans has some kind of similar experience on how they became a special band for them.
    So, the news of Gord's diagnosis and this most likely being the hips last shows means an end to an era, a Canadian era and thus a most personal era for us all.
    Sad, but what a celebration this tour is!
  • IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Pretty sick set lists. Very pearl jam like
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Can't wait for friday.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    I have a painful story:

Scored Floor, Row 9 to the Calgary show which is happening right now as we speak.
    Got called out to work this morning and had to leave the city.
    No refunds. No exchanges.
    Two empty seats... SWEET SEATS.... and two unused tickets just sitting at the fucking will call window right now.
    FYI: This isn't a job I can quit or call in sick for or delay. When the call comes, you go.... bad fucking luck and horrible fucking timing.
    Spent 3 hours on the phone this morning with Ticketmaster AND their ticket insurance company, Allianz... I bought ticket protector insurance for this exact scenario... thought I was being pretty damn responsible!!! But nooooooOOOOOOOO the fucktards at both companies wouldn't help me out in any way. Wouldn't even exchange the tickets over to my own fucking fiance, who was coming to the show with me. Useless pricks!!
    I'm a grumpy ass mother fucker today folks.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    $358.50 gone to waste. What the fuck?!?!?
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!