July 17, 2016

Set List

Walk On Music: Pendulumorphosis 9:33
Band On Stage: 9:34
Band Off Stage: 11:57

(band starts the set seated)

01. Release
02. Footsteps
(what a beautiful place and what a beautiful day. Thanks for giving us the invitation. Did I mention that you look beautiful too?)
03. Daughter / Another Brick In The Wall-part 2-(Waters) {changes last lyric to “teacher leave this kids alone, Leave your fucking guns at home”}

(Ed says that in Italy when you are in a relationship that has gone wrong or ended they say you are “under the train”. You are stuck and you get out from underneath it. There are probably a few here in that situation. But if they left before they came here with you they really missed out. Who knows though who is going to sleep in your tent tonight. This song was written when one of us was under the train.”)

04. Thumbing My Way

(Ed says that before they get too raucous they want to the thank the community of Pemberton. He cites their population and reminds the festival campers to follow the “pack it out” rule and clean up after themselves. He notes that the festival will be contributing to arts programs and issuing grants to artists.)

05. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
06. Present Tense
07. Once
08. Mind Your Manners
09. Spin The Black Circle
10. Given To Fly
11. Dissident

(Ed laughs and says, “there is always someone out there with a crutch. There is always a crutch. HI person with crutch. This is mine (holding up bottle(?). Ha just kidding. More like a cane. He comments that when you listen to the news the world sounds like a terrible place. He continues on saying that when you get to a place like this it is so beautiful that you remember how wonderful the world is. He hopes that we can continue to evolve and stop killing each other.)

12. Do The Evolution
13. Lightning Bolt

(Ed toasts Alan Vega of the band Suicide noting he had a great long life but all good things must come to an end. He mentions a few artists that Vega influenced and that he is thinking of him. Mr. Vega passed away yesterday.
14. Dream Baby Dream-(Rev, Vega) cover of the song by Suicide
15. Wishlist
16. Corduroy
17. Even Flow
18. Of The Earth
19. Porch

Encore Break

Ed toasts the people in the VIP tents off to the side and points out the people down front have better seats. He jokes that the audience tonight smells pretty good which isn’t always the case at festivals. He dedicates the next song Margaret and Daniel. Margaret misses a lot of time with her husband helping Ed out.

20. Oceans
21. Go
22. State Of Love And Trust (Ed throws the mic to the audience but it doesn’t make it or is dropped. He gets it back to finish the song)

23. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour, Waters) (Ed plays piano during the outro)
24. Black
25. Jeremy
(The band wants to have a Stone Gossard birthday party since he is so cool he might not have a party unless the band throws it on stage tonight. He compliments Stone as the wisdom of the band and talks about all the work Stone has done as a producer and record label owner including discovering Queens Of The Stone Age. Stone also does more for the environment than anyone. The audience sings Happy Birthday to Stone. Some of the cake ends up on Stone’s face, Ed’s face and maybe a bit in the crowd.)
26. Alive
27. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    Dream Baby Dream - lucky folk
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    A few songs on the setlist not played:
    Bee Girl, Comatose, I believe in Miracles, Got Some, Baba, Rain
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Awesome set!!
    Thanks Sea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    edited July 2016
    Thank you so much. I've Seen Pearl jam close to 20 times and because I saw them this time with most of my close friends and family this was special. In this setting too!

Release to start, could have stopped there and I'd have been happy.

Until next time in Vancouver or the gorge.

I liked how Eddie said it. Why can't people just stop killing people. So much fun being along the middle barrier about twenty rows back
  • Options
    andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,791
    great show ! ! ! perfect setlist for the venue imo
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 779
    I couldn't ask for a better show at a festival. Had such a great time with my wife!

Highlights were:

Release
    Footsteps
    Present Tense
    Spin The Black Circle
    Oceans
    Comfortably Numb
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    pdalowsky said:

Full version?
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    what a banger. never woulda guessed such a good set list for a festival.
  • Options
    UglymanUglyman Posts: 75
    How was the crowd? I saw some negativity from younger audience members on Twitter.
    You can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    Uglyman said:

How was the crowd? I saw some negativity from younger audience members on Twitter.

I thought the crowd was pretty good. I was closer to the front though.. maybe the equivelent of 10th to 15th row if it was seated. I heard younger people wondering why pj was headlining. Then i saw the younger crowd mixed in with the veterans and they were all rocking out. It looked to me like a lot of young minds were being blown. Not sure how far back the crowd went or how it was in the back. I had a pretty good time. No mosh pit. Just a bunch of people rocking out and having a good time. Glad I went :)
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Finally got Release and Of the Earth!!!
    Such a great weekend and great people thanks to all guilty parties.

Hope PJ does it again next year!!!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    edited July 2016
    RobbyD462 said:

If they do next year, only a 1 day pass for me...I'm too old for this ;)
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    iammine16 said:

RobbyD462 said:

I'd go.. but it does take extra effort to go to Pemberton. I'd much rather we get an arena show in Vancouver :) The band seems to pick a few festivals to play ever year so I imagine it might be a few until the come back (although they really did seem to enjoy it, so maybe not).
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    Zod said:

iammine16 said:

RobbyD462 said:

I'd go.. but it does take extra effort to go to Pemberton. I'd much rather we get an arena show in Vancouver :) The band seems to pick a few festivals to play ever year so I imagine it might be a few until the come back (although they really did seem to enjoy it, so maybe not).
    Two arena show in Vancouver and I'm there.
    I'd love to get back to back shows in Vancouver!!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    I thought the crowd was pretty good, much better up front than a lot of the shows I've been too. People actually reacted how you'd think they should, good energy. I've loved every show I've been to, but this one was pretty awesome. Great setting, I think the band genuinely thought a lot of it. Ed was on fire.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    I was about 12 "rows" back, one off the middle rail, and the crowd was excellent. Certainly different from a PJ only crowd, but people around me were rocking out and singing along. It was actually really fun watching the younger kids who were familiar with the hits but not the deeper cuts. They went nuts for Even Flow and especially Jeremy. Some young dudes near me went nuts during Spin the Black Circle and Mind Your Manners. You could tell they didn't know the songs but were reacting to the intensity. Overall a fantastic, rocking, feel good show. Ed and Mike were full of energy. And the fireworks from the top of the mountain in front of a full moon was a pretty cool way to end the night.

• Options
    RobbyD462 said:

Two arena show in Vancouver and I'm there.
    I'd love to get back to back shows in Vancouver!!

I'm not sure Vancouver is big enough for two shows. The 2013 tour I think we had the smallest pit on the tour due to the lack of fan club sales (allthough most Vancouver shows get close to sold out by the public including behind the stage). Not sure if they'd do 2 in Vancouver. They never have before. They don't even do two in Seattle anymore :)

If they do play Seattle next year, you wonder if they'll come back to this area so quick or maybe they'd skip us like they did on the Avacado tour.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    Probably the best festival setlist I have ever seen,shit I would have been stoked with that set as a PJ stadium show.
    Was BLACK an extended version 7-8 Mins or so and was the crowd a sing along crowd ?
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    This might have been the best set of the entire tour or definitely top 3
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2016
    Beautiful setting, wonderful people, as Chitty mentioned in our area. Thanks for keeping my small girl safe! So sweet having her arms wrapped around my neck while dancing to Thumbing My Way. THANK YOU.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gna6mm6mg2k6al/Pearljam pemberton.jpg?dl=0
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2016
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713

pdalowsky said:

Full version?
    good video of it on youtube, its a solid effort - very enjoyable
  • Options
    GstewartGstewart Delta BC Posts: 28
    This was at duly tremendous show. My first time up so close and outdoors; 7 rows from the front expecting a big surge but nothing until Even Flow, surfing the whole gambit ...incredible and probably 10 feet away when Ed went into the crowd. It got a bit nuts I'm with my 3 kids, well young men (22, 24 and 27) and we got split up with the crush but everyone got cool and it was great.
    Lots of highlights but something special during Ledbetter when a young fella in a wheelchair was surfed up into the crowd.
    So much energy from the band an great feelings.
    Anyone got any spare tickets for Chicago or Boston?
    Happy birthday Stone ( the unsung hero!).
    Cheers

• Options
    RobertH86RobertH86 Posts: 165
    It was definitely interesting to see a mix of individuals up towards the front at the show. There was some weird energy towards the beginning of the night with the younger crowds up front, but as soon as the show started, it seemed to chill out a bit. By the time Mike had nailed his 4th or 5th solo (VERY Mike heavy night) everyone was in for the ride. Great show, especially for a festival.
  • Options
    ewalesewales Victoria, B.C Posts: 13
    What an amazing experience.

I bought a VIP ticket and it was worth every penny. Got front row around 6:30 pm for Noel Gallagher. He played a great set and was a great lead-in before PJ. People in the area were really good people, friendly and you could tell they actually were here to see Pearl Jam, not casually observe, get a SnapChat selfie and leave.

I marked out hard when they played Spin The Black Circle, one of my favourites, pure energy. The middle part of the set was the best, felt like it was one continuous stream of power for at least 20-25 minutes.

Best part of the night was when Eddie walked through the crowd and I got to shook his hand. Then during the solo of Alive, Mike came down and played the solo right in front of us. An experience that really couldn't be beat.

I was disappointed that I didn't go and snag a poster but I just managed to purchase one from Ten Club this morning. Glad I didn't have to lug it around for 6-7 hours.

The only bad part was the shuttles going back to Whistler. I love Pearl Jam but they might be the only band I'd pay the extra money to go see at a festival. Just too much hassle to get to the show and back.

If anyone has any video of Eddie in the crowd to the left of the stage or when Mike plays the solo in Alive I'd love to see it!
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Sounds like a helluva night. great first post. welcome to the boards
    ewales said:

What an amazing experience.

I bought a VIP ticket and it was worth every penny. Got front row around 6:30 pm for Noel Gallagher. He played a great set and was a great lead-in before PJ. People in the area were really good people, friendly and you could tell they actually were here to see Pearl Jam, not casually observe, get a SnapChat selfie and leave.

I marked out hard when they played Spin The Black Circle, one of my favourites, pure energy. The middle part of the set was the best, felt like it was one continuous stream of power for at least 20-25 minutes.

Best part of the night was when Eddie walked through the crowd and I got to shook his hand. Then during the solo of Alive, Mike came down and played the solo right in front of us. An experience that really couldn't be beat.

I was disappointed that I didn't go and snag a poster but I just managed to purchase one from Ten Club this morning. Glad I didn't have to lug it around for 6-7 hours.

The only bad part was the shuttles going back to Whistler. I love Pearl Jam but they might be the only band I'd pay the extra money to go see at a festival. Just too much hassle to get to the show and back.

If anyone has any video of Eddie in the crowd to the left of the stage or when Mike plays the solo in Alive I'd love to see it!

• Options
    vickisomoyavickisomoya Seattle, WA Posts: 184
    Did anyone happen to take a recording of what Ed said right before Do The Evolution?
    take the reigns and
    steer us towards the clear here
    I know it's already been sung
    but it can't be said enough
    ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

• Options
    chittychitty Posts: 577
    He said something like, "people need to stop killing people."
  • Options
    Bootleg sounds great as expected :)
    Vancouver, BC - 2005