The Tragically Hip!!!!

Comments

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    Listened to the new disc last night. Some really cool stuff and I have a feeling this disc might need a couple of listens to fully absorb it all. Excited to listen again today.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    May 30th said:

Listened to the new disc last night. Some really cool stuff and I have a feeling this disc might need a couple of listens to fully absorb it all. Excited to listen again today.

agreed. I told my wife I listened to it, and I just said one word: "weird". not in a bad way though.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I'm listening right now.
    Not too bad.I'm not sure if it's vinyl worthy yet but we'll see...
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306

May 30th said:

agreed. I told my wife I listened to it, and I just said one word: "weird". not in a bad way though.
    My feelings exactly when I listened to it the other night. Played it through 3 straight times and it really has grown on me.

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I am starting to really love the album, happily. :)

But btw, I think the album cover is awful. I hate it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    agreed on the cover art. it's weird. it's like their version of Nevermind.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

agreed on the cover art. it's weird. it's like their version of Nevermind.

Lol, I never even thought of that. It totally is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    a partial list of unreleased/bsides/one-offs:

Get Back Again
    The New Maybe
    No Threat
    Radio Show
    Oh Honey
    Night Is For Gettin'
    Hush
    Skeleton Park
    So Hard Done By (original sped up version)
    Ultra Mundane
    Problem Bears
    Forest Edge

and many more here:

http://www.hipmuseum.com/unreleased.html
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

show is but a month away.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So now that we've all had time to absorb the new album, thoughts? I actually love it. Best Hip album since Day for Night IMO.
    PJ_Soul said:

So now that we've all had time to absorb the new album, thoughts? I actually love it. Best Hip album since Day for Night IMO.

Bold statement but well played.

I liked TATH and Phantom Power more than this album.This still is a respectable offering from a very respected institution.

RobbyD462 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Bold statement but well played.

I liked TATH and Phantom Power more than this album.This still is a respectable offering from a very respected institution.
    TATH and PP both have absolutely incredible songs on them (and huge hits, by Hip standards), like Bobcaygeon, Poets, Gift Shop, and Ahead by a Century. They are both really incredible albums (I also really like Now for Plan A a fair bit). But as a complete, cohesive album, I think MMP is better (not by much mind you)... maybe because it's a little more weird. I'm attracted to that.
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    edited July 2016
    Favourite songs from MMP?

Mine are "Man", "Great Soul", "Machine", and "Here, In the Dark".

Whole album is fabulous, though. <3

Edit: Yeah, I think the cover art is atrocious. I find The Hip have been really hit-or-miss with album covers. I don't mind the arms part of the photo (used on the back cover), but the baby ... he looks like he's wearing a mullet wig. I'm hoping the band will have MMP merch that doesn't feature Baby Wayne Gretzky. :neutral:
    Post edited by rockpants on
    just grabbed two tickets to the Victoria show. so pumped for this show. got shut out the last two attempts. buddy texted and said they released a few more for some of the shows. check online if you are still needing some.
    More merch thoughts ... I know they're selling a Tired As Fuck mug in the Gift Shop already, but I'd like to see that on a t-shirt.

Hard to believe the tour's coming up already.
  • weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    the new cd is def one of the harder ones to click for me. having said that i know what happens when that happens...when it finally clicks i will only then realize what a complete gem it is. no hip cd has ever let me down. same as the tours. same as the setlists etc etc
    the band just announced a lottery for each show on the new tour. 50 pairs of tickets to be released by lottery day of the show. good luck to all who enter!
    Tomorrow night!

RobbyD462 said:

Tomorrow night!

I am really jealous of your weekend show. Crowds are so much more fun on Fridays and Saturdays! I'm stuck with a Tuesday, which is possible the worst possibly day for a show (I did take Wednesday off though - I can't sleep after a great show). Not that I'm complaining... well, okay I am kind of, lol. But it will still be a great show, just not as great as a weekend one might be.
    Where is a good place to grab some beverages and dinner before the show tonight? Never been to Victoria before. Thanks for any advice.
    Close to the Save On there isnt that much.
    There is a Kareoke bar right close called Sopranos but as far as food goes Id eat downtown then come to the arena.
    Pagliachis is amazing if you like italian food.
    It gets busy so its best to be there when they open for dinner at 5 i think.
    Places like Earls or the Cactus club on Douglas arent too bad.
    Depends what your hungry for.....

Is anyone here going to the Vancouver show on Tuesday?
  • ewalesewales Victoria, B.C Posts: 13
    There's a couple options for places to eat by the arena in Victoria.

Sopranos closed down about two years ago, but there is a restaurant by the arena called White Spot. It's not the hippest place but it's about a 3-5 minute walk to the arena.

Romeo's is another one that is about a 3-5 minute walk away on Blanshard St.

Show should be a good one. The Killers, Noel Gallagher, Pearl Jam and Tragically Hip in a week is a pretty rock solid list.
  • maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    Still looking for London and/or Hamilton tickets.....would love 2 but gladly settle for one to either show if anyone's looking to unload their extra...thanks
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    Any reviews from last night's show?
    Sick show last night!
    Kinda strange they ended with Ahead by a Century and no Nautical Disaster but Last of the Unplucked Gems was incredible!!

Gordo was on point!!

The Victoria show had a merch booth outside the venue, so stands to reason they'll be doing that all tour. YAAAAYYAAAAAAY! *Kermit arm flail*

I really like the black & white album name maple leaf. Didn't see a Tired As Fuck shirt; the deargord.ca site has one, but I'm not too interested in shirts with hashtags. I get why they're there, but I'm just not into it.

Now to figure out how much to budget ... :worried:

Wicked show last night. Unplucked Gems and Long Time Running were unbelievable. So glad I got to see the first show and I really wish that Gord keeps it up for the entire tour. Loved his suits last night and his great "moves" on stage. Always so funny to watch and enjoy. What an amazing band. Enjoy the rest of the tour everyone.
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    Looking forward to tomorrow night in Vancouver! Anyone else going?
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
    I'll be at both Vancouver shows. :)
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    What a great show tonight! Opening with 4 Road Apples songs and giving some love to Day For Night...fantastic!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018