Stanford rapist

Comments

• The father has a huge role in his son's character development. So does the mother. So does his peer influences. So does every other aspect of society.

It's irrelevant. We are going to fail with some individuals. Some men are going to become violent and murder someone or rape someone or beat someone senseless... for kicks.

Coming back to my original point which others have expressed as well: in light of our impending failures... I choose to safeguard my daughter from being left vulnerable to a mutant. If she was ever raped... I would not say, "What the f**k were you doing?" I would attribute 100% of the blame on the rapist... and... then I'd go kill him or at least bash his face in.

My comments are intended to support women... not blame them. The comments are rooted in reality and pragmatic in nature. I'd love for a peaceful society where men would respect women- and other men for that matter- and leave each to their own. But I'd be dreaming with my head up my ass if I felt that time was coming anytime soon.

They may from your prospective be meant to support women, but the statement that some men will do it anyway or that a change could happen anytime soon is akin to having your head up your ass cancels out any "supportive" factor.

We aren't saying don't teach your daughter to be safe, every parent should teach all of their children to be safe. We are saying pull your head out of your ass and stand up and try to make that change happen sooner and then you won't have to worry so much about your daughter, granddaughter, etc.. What you stated above is pretty much just like saying boys will be boys, and that is the problem. But if you aren't ready to see it that way then ok, we will keep trying and maybe the next generation will get.
    No it is not pretty much what he was saying (correct me if I'm wrong TB).
    Rapists will be rapists,
    We don't have it in us waiting to come out.
  • The sentencing, it seems, was also based on the Santa Clara County Probation Department's pre-sentence investigation report. That report included interviews with both Turner and the victim and recommended only a year in county jail and probation. Brewer noted, however, that was "quite unusual" coming from a department that is "very tough on sex offenders."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/stanford-sexual-assault-case-brock-turner-sentence-judge-1.3620631?cmp=googleeditorspick&google_editors_picks=true
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
  • The father has a huge role in his son's character development. So does the mother. So does his peer influences. So does every other aspect of society.

It's irrelevant. We are going to fail with some individuals. Some men are going to become violent and murder someone or rape someone or beat someone senseless... for kicks.

Coming back to my original point which others have expressed as well: in light of our impending failures... I choose to safeguard my daughter from being left vulnerable to a mutant. If she was ever raped... I would not say, "What the f**k were you doing?" I would attribute 100% of the blame on the rapist... and... then I'd go kill him or at least bash his face in.

My comments are intended to support women... not blame them. The comments are rooted in reality and pragmatic in nature. I'd love for a peaceful society where men would respect women- and other men for that matter- and leave each to their own. But I'd be dreaming with my head up my ass if I felt that time was coming anytime soon.

They may from your prospective be meant to support women, but the statement that some men will do it anyway or that a change could happen anytime soon is akin to having your head up your ass cancels out any "supportive" factor.

We aren't saying don't teach your daughter to be safe, every parent should teach all of their children to be safe. We are saying pull your head out of your ass and stand up and try to make that change happen sooner and then you won't have to worry so much about your daughter, granddaughter, etc.. What you stated above is pretty much just like saying boys will be boys, and that is the problem. But if you aren't ready to see it that way then ok, we will keep trying and maybe the next generation will get.
    You need to brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Once you do, then come to the table with a little more than the nonsense you offered here.

That is all I have for you in response.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Enkidu said:
    Ugh. Just when I thought he couldn't be any shittier of a person.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Enkidu said:
    From the guy who was too drunk to know what he was doing. Wow. Beyond disgusting.

"The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    OnWis97 said:

polaris_x said:

so ... is there ANY chance this guy's sentence increases somehow? ... the prosecutors should appeal also the sentencing ...

I don't think that's even possible. I think it would be a form of double-jeopardy. The only way he's getting more time is for another crime.
    What about a new charge of perjury?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851

Enkidu said:
    From the guy who was too drunk to know what he was doing. Wow. Beyond disgusting.

Where was this evidence earlier? I think we need a follow up to see if this is true. Detectives will be accountable if they missed this...
    PJ_Soul said:

OnWis97 said:

polaris_x said:

so ... is there ANY chance this guy's sentence increases somehow? ... the prosecutors should appeal also the sentencing ...

I don't think that's even possible. I think it would be a form of double-jeopardy. The only way he's getting more time is for another crime.
    What about a new charge of perjury?
    I'd be down with that. But I'm not sure if his initial statement/letter to the court was something upon which he swore (not that his word means shit).
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Even though he will serve only 3 months (or less) he will have to serve it in segregation. If they put him in gen-pop he won't last long.
  • I knew the mom had to be an idiot (see previous posts).

I just read on Twitter that she's so upset over this incident she can't even decorate their new home.

Wow. Just wow.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851

Enkidu said:

Where was this evidence earlier? I think we need a follow up to see if this is true. Detectives will be accountable if they missed this...
    Anyone?
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I'm reading an article in the LA Times right now about how they found his phone and texts on the phone indicated he'd used LSD and MDMA, smoked marijuana and "dabs in butane hash oil." He was arrested for underaged drinking, had a fake driver's license and "smelled of alcohol." This is the time he ran away from the cops.

But why didn't this come out before?
    Again, I'm not a lawyer but I got the impression that detectives had the information. I don't know whether it was admitted as evidence during the trial or if not, why it wasn't.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728

The father has a huge role in his son's character development. So does the mother. So does his peer influences. So does every other aspect of society.

Once you do, then come to the table with a little more than the nonsense you offered here.

Sure bury your head a little deeper, be defensive if the statement doesn't conform, it's a good way to affect change.

Also you don't get to tell women what is supportive of them and what isn't. Especially if you are being told otherwise. That is the antithesis of being supportive.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.

Sure bury your head a little deeper, be defensive if the statement doesn't conform, it's a good way to affect change.

Also you don't get to tell women what is supportive of them and what isn't. Especially if you are being told otherwise. That is the antithesis of being supportive.

Holy Christ.

Go back and read your stupid post that suggested I was saying 'boys will be boys'. How stupid. Sorry... but really f**king stupid. Passive aggressive too- you're trying to pick a fight with me by twisting the meaning of my words and suggesting I'm saying something else.

I said there are rapists out there. That's a reality. Given it's a reality... I'm going to prepare my daughter for safeguarding herself against the threat of one given they don't have scarlett letters on their foreheads identifying them. I'm encouraging other parents to do the same. Don't you think that's good advice? Or are you sticking to your ridiculous assertion that this is tantamount to saying, repeating myself, 'boys will be boys'?

I think... and I can only surmise given the lack of clarity in your writing... that you think we are going to rid the world of rapists and maybe even all the violent criminals if we could just have better talks with our children. While there's an element of truth to what you suggest... it's hardly pragmatic.

* And your second passage is worded exceptionally poor. There's something in there that I think- again- was intending to be an attack of some sort, but it's so poorly constructed I'm challenged with it. Let me try and paraphrase: when someone says something different than me I can't say what I'm saying because then that's not what I'm really saying. Do I have that right? Is that what you were trying to say? I tried.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Again, I'm not a lawyer but I got the impression that detectives had the information. I don't know whether it was admitted as evidence during the trial or if not, why it wasn't.

you can't bring things into a trial unless it was a previous conviction. according to Law & Order SVU, that's "prejudicial".
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Love your source, Hugh =)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

you can't bring things into a trial unless it was a previous conviction. according to Law & Order SVU, that's "prejudicial".
    also often times crimes committed as juveniles are sealed and not introduced.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    This scumbag is probably thrilled with the attack in Orlando, takes the heat off of him
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    pjhawks said:

True on both counts. But I believe prior offenses are brought up after conviction when the jury is considering sentence. This guy lucked out with the judge sentencing. Of course, white male athlete privilege helped too.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

pjhawks said:

True on both counts. But I believe prior offenses are brought up after conviction when the jury is considering sentence. This guy lucked out with the judge sentencing. Of course, white male athlete privilege helped too.
    Also a judge who was a jock lacrosse player from the same university who appears to have sympathized with a swimmer from the same university.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    This story is so sickening. I can't believe what we continue to allow people to get away with.

If I were this girls father I'm not sure that I would do. And if he goes after this rapist piece of shit, he should get me on his jury.
    hippiemom = goodness
    cincy, I don't put this on we. I just cant - because I know most reasonable people would see this for what it is.

Sickening, as you said.

Allowing such a light and fucked up, worthy of angry torch-holders sentence is placed squarely on the shoulders of that POS "judge".
  • FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    How much was that judge paid by the father?
    Too many commonalities in background and mindset that I don't think money was even an issue.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's almost like a "yeah!" high-five kind of thing.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    maybe the judge is sympathetic for a reason. not an accusation, just thinking out loud.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• maybe the judge is sympathetic for a reason. not an accusation, just thinking out loud.

There's no question he was sympathetic for a reason.

People here are wondering what 'good' reason he might possibly have?

The rationale he offered hardly suffices and just stinks. Jail will be too hard?

Poor poor weird rapist.