Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,469
    edited June 2016
    pjhawks said:

Throwing beers at Ryan Howard? You guys don't earn your reputation?

does anyone know where The Fixer was during said incident? when will these idiots realize everything is on tape these days. they got a picture of the guy already.
    His picture is everywhere. I bet he'll be identified by the end of the day.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,831
    Word - just picked up the poster from the 28th. Looks like the 29th sold out fast, but eh, I like the 28th one better since it has the skyline integrated.
  • Options

Word - just picked up the poster from the 28th. Looks like the 29th sold out fast, but eh, I like the 28th one better since it has the skyline integrated.

Poster guy, huh? I've never got into collecting that stuff for some reason...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Eh, sorta. I like to get the ones for the shows I go to - same goes for boots. And never pick them up at shows because that's too much of a pain in the ass.

Only problem is they're fucking expensive to get framed. But they make great pieces of art, in my opinion, but the shame of it is most of them are sitting in tubes...damnit. This one will not though.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    Young Kyle Lewis in for a workout with the Phils today..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    The Fillmore is friggen sweet. Definitely my favorite venue in the city. Petty was an awesome time last night. Great show. All tickets were will call to avoid scalpers, I went right there after I got out of a meeting at 4 then went to Frankford Hall but when we got back there around 7:45, there was a line at least 100 yards long. Brutal, but he didn't go on until everyone for the most part got in.
  • Options

Eh, sorta. I like to get the ones for the shows I go to - same goes for boots. And never pick them up at shows because that's too much of a pain in the ass.

Only problem is they're fucking expensive to get framed. But they make great pieces of art, in my opinion, but the shame of it is most of them are sitting in tubes...damnit. This one will not though.
    Word. I have a few posters and they are all sitting in tubes...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783

Check out hobby lobby for getting the posters framed. I just started getting mine framed and you can get them done for $70-80 if you can use a standard size frame. I paid around $115 for a poster that needed a custom frame. Really cheap compared to the prices at a frame shop.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Check out hobby lobby for getting the posters framed. I just started getting mine framed and you can get them done for $70-80 if you can use a standard size frame. I paid around $115 for a poster that needed a custom frame. Really cheap compared to the prices at a frame shop.
    Yeah, I've only used the local frame shop for one - way too costly. I've gone to AC Moore and paid around those prices for custom frames, bordering, etc.

But no matter what, when you've got around 9, 10 posters sitting in tubes that's still a huge chunk of coin.

Plus, I don't even know where I'm going to put all of these goddamn things. Maybe in my MAN CAVE BROS.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,783

Yeah, I've only used the local frame shop for one - way too costly. I've gone to AC Moore and paid around those prices for custom frames, bordering, etc.

But no matter what, when you've got around 9, 10 posters sitting in tubes that's still a huge chunk of coin.

Plus, I don't even no where I'm going to put all of these goddamn things. Maybe in my MAN CAVE BROS.
    Yeah, it's definitely not cheap whichever way you do it. I just started doing 1 poster every month. Have a house with a basement now so plenty of wall space to finally put these things up.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Velazquez is done. That was fun while it lasted
  • Options
    edited June 2016

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

The Fixer said:

Not a big Baumann fan and I certainly disagree with a lot of what he states here, but this is a good read.

https://theringer.com/mlb-2016-philadelphia-phillies-4db2c9dc0ea4#.wwnhunru2

Pretty much what I've been saying for a while...

"The Phillies are still assembling the next version of the team. Right now, they’ve got a good center fielder, a good third baseman, three or four good starting pitchers, and a couple of decent relievers. That’s a start, but there are still a lot of holes.

Now consider this list of names: Tocci, Ortiz, Williams, Thompson, Alfaro, Knapp, Crawford, Kilome, Medina, Appel, Eshelman. They all stand to contribute to the big league club but have yet to play a regular-season game in the majors. Only a couple of years after the franchise hit rock bottom, the Phillies have a decent big league team right now, a top-five farm system, and the no. 1 pick in the draft next week. They also have an ownership group that’s been willing to spend almost all the way to the luxury tax in the past, along with only $24.5 million in payroll commitments past this year and just $2 million in commitments in 2018.

That combination of young talent and financial flexibility brings up one last question.

Will the Phillies be good soon?

For the first time in five years, the answer is yes."

I'm glad you posted this because I didn't realize The Ringer went live yet. Good stuff.
    Def excited about the Ringer. There is a solid Joe Buck article up as well. Met him years ago at a bar in Center City. Great dude -- and I really like him as an announcer.

This is one of the things I disagreed with from the phils article....

Right now, they’ve got a good center fielder, a good third baseman, three or four good starting pitchers, and a couple of decent relievers

Who are the 3-4 good starting pitchers??? Nola is nice -- Velazquez could be disgusting if he learns a third pitch. But I don't see 3, let alone 4 good SPs on this roster. Franco is still unproven -- I'm not ready to call him good yet. And can anyone confidently say Herrera is a CF on a contending team? He takes some horrid routes (remember the hamels no hitter???). I like Neris, but other than that I don't see any future pen pieces either.

At least howard is finally on the bench and one step closer to being shown the door.
    Okay 2 good pitchers then. I see your point there. But Eikhoff's been decent for the most part though. A nice surprise.
    I think Franco will be fine. Herrera should be an all star this year but you have to remember he is a converted second basemen who never played CF until last year. He might move to right or left when/if Quinn and Williams get here. I guess they could also move him back to second. Can't believe how much he's improved at the plate this year.
    Eikhoff isn't anything special. Reminds me of a vance worley/JA Happ type.

We will see on Herrera. He won a minor league batting title. He could always hit, even when he played 2B (his approach has def improved though). I love the kid Kingery they picked last year -- he sounds like their 2b of the future. Herrera's best spot is prob LF.

Point is Baumann always overestimates the phils prospects. He's one of the many reasons I stopped reading crashburn alley. all unicorns and rainbows on that site.
    Crashburn has always been one of the most critical sites regarding the Phils over the years. They've been more supportive over last year or two with how the Phils have rebuilt their organization but, clearly, they are not alone in that assessment.

And Baumann has written anything there since last year anyway.
    bill baer (site founder) was a howard apologist for the longest time. I stopped reading that site years ago. a lot of better sites out there
    Whether on crashburn or hard ball talk, Baer was always one of his and Amaro's harshest critics.

Do you not read hbt because he's one of their main writers now?

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/05/23/is-it-time-for-the-phillies-to-release-ryan-howard/
    I don't read either of those sites. A lot of that has to do with Baer, yes. John Sickels is another guy I won't read because I think he's a waste of time

What sites do you read nowadays?

baseball prospectus, fangraphs (eric longerhans is going to be great for their prospect coverage -- they had a void there when kiley mcdaniel got hired by the braves), keith law on insider. BA has gone in the toilet too since Jim Callis left, so I'm off that site too. Callis is at mlb.com -- I only go their for their prospect stuff, which is solid with him and Mayo.

I don't read anything local other than an occasional david murphy article. He's really the only local guy worth reading. this include crashburn alley, phuture phillies, etc

I also read Buster Olney's blog every day. Not really for his opinions, but because he does such a fantastic job of tying in all of the daily news from every team.

Lot of buzz with the phils being tied to Mickey Moniak. Blake Rutherford sounds like their target with their second pick (which would be incredible) but there are rumors that the mets may take him with one of their picks just to block the phils. tomorrow night should be interesting...
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Throwing beers at Ryan Howard? You guys don't earn your reputation?

some people will still claim that philly fans get a bad rap. bunch of cavemen

for the record it was not me who threw the bottle at howard. I wouldn't throw anything at him but I would tell him how much he sucks
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    Hopefully just a biceps strain for Velazquez

I'll be a little sad if they take Mickey Moniak only because we'd never get to hear Harry announce his name. That's an HK name if there ever was one (actually it'd be better with an "ie" at the end, but I digress)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Hopefully just a biceps strain for Velazquez

I'll be a little sad if they take Mickey Moniak only because we'd never get to hear Harry announce his name. That's an HK name if there ever was one (actually it'd be better with an "ie" at the end, but I digress)

I hope they take corey ray. Sounds like it's going to come down five guys and they will take whoever they can sign for the cheapest so they can use that pool money to blow it out on someone who is labeled as a tough sign.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664

I got both, at the shows. I like night 1 better as well. I didn't know that was the philly skyline. cool.

I just checked howard's BA. not cool.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

I got both, at the shows. I like night 1 better as well. I didn't know that was the philly skyline. cool.

I just checked howard's BA. not cool.
    Not cool at all indeed.

Yeah I can't carry that shit around for 3 hours, and I sure as well am not standing in those ungodly lines. Only way I get one is if there's a chance they have them after a show, otherwise it's online.

I vote for the next PJ Philly shows that the posters are a take on Wawa and Arctic Splash Iced Tea.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,664
    I got night 1 in about 5 minutes (outside) and night 2 (inside) right before they pulled the last one off the wall.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

I got night 1 in about 5 minutes (outside) and night 2 (inside) right before they pulled the last one off the wall.

Nerd
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Did they change the layout around here? Where the hell did the sidebar go? Or is it just me?
  • Options

Did they change the layout around here? Where the hell did the sidebar go? Or is it just me?

That happened to me a while back. It was some stupid setting I think I accidentally clicked on on the board. I can't remember what I did to fix it though.
  • Options

That happened to me a while back. It was some stupid setting I think I accidentally clicked on on the board. I can't remember what I did to fix it though.
    Well what the fuck, Cliff.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Well what the fuck, Cliff.
    Yeah, I'm no help. I just know it is something stupid that is easy to fix but annoying to find...
  • Options
    Found it - it's a dumb little sidebar that expands or contracts the menu, and it's white so it blends in with the background. So that's dumb.
  • Options
    Think I got a chubby over here listening to this bootleg from the Friday show
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,254
    Mickey Moniak?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Longenhagen--

1.Mickey Moniak, OF
    La Costa Canyon HS (Carlsbad, California)
    Big Board rank: 5

The Phillies selected California prep outfielder Mickey Moniak. He's the best pure hitter in the draft, eliciting some future 70 scouting grades with his bat. His swing is fluid and compact, and Moniak shows some elite hitting traits in the way he adjusts to pitches mid-flight. While not a track star, Moniak runs well enough to stay in center field and has a good feel for the position.

Moniak doesn't have a frame that projects for much power, but the combination of elite hitting potential and the ability to play a premium defensive position makes him a potential All-Star. While any player selected with the first pick overall could sign for an underslot deal, Moniak probably will sign for a bigger discount than other alternatives, giving the Phillies a lot of financial flexibility at their next pick (42nd overall).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Winkleman-

Round 2: Pick #42 – Kevin Gowdy, Santa Barbara Sr HS, CF

Thanks to taking Moniak #1 overall the Phillies had the ability to shift money down their draft, making the #42 pick very important for their overall draft haul. It had been hard to nail down who the guy was that would fall to the Phillies, and in the end it was the guy they had been linked to the whole time. Kevin Gowdy, a projectable RHP, was part of a UCLA recruiting class that included Mickey Moniak and Blake Rutherford.

Gowdy has been described by many of the people I have talked to and read as the most polished high school pitcher in the draft. He has an easy repeatable delivery and a good feel for the strikezone. He does lack the high octane stuff of some of his peers, but he is already 90-93, has touched up to 95, and there is room for him to fill out and add a bit more velocity. His slider is already a weapon and he shows feel for a future above average to plus changeup. Overall he has a mid rotation, to slightly above, ceiling and he could move quickly for a high school pitcher. If it were not for the college commitment Gowdy likely would have gone in the mid to late first round.

In terms of where he slots in the system, he is probably in the same range as Adonis Medina, though his polish likely has him ahead for now. He should open on the GCL roster, and it won’t be a disappointment if he spends all year there.

Overall, Gowdy is not the sexiest pick the Phillies could have made at #42, and he is a bit safe. Safe is not necessarily a bad thing when talking about high school pitchers where the failure rate is high. Gowdy has enough upside to justify the pick. The combination of Moniak and Gowdy gives the Phillies a nice mix of upside and safety heading into Day 2. Gowdy will certainly be overslot for his pick value, but he won’t take up all of the savings from taking Moniak #1.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options